Dramatic failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dramatic failure

How does one determine a failure from a dramatic failure? I mean like I look at vampire disciplines and am not exactly sure what the target number for successes is even. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Originally posted by ThriceHonored View Post
    How does one determine a failure from a dramatic failure? I mean like I look at vampire disciplines and am not exactly sure what the target number for successes is even. Anyone care to enlighten me?
    A dramatic failure results most directly from rolling a 1 on the die you roll when you have an effective dice pool size of 0 or less; that same die treats everything else except a 10 as a failure, unlike the normal roll results of "any die that comes up 7 or less is a failure, any die that comes up 8 or more is a success."

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

In 2e era games, players can also choose to have a normal failure to become a dramatic failure for a Beat. Some Conditions can also have the same effect.

Comment

The target number on a die is 8 and above, with exploding 10s. If you mean the number of successful dice rolled, there typically isn’t a threshold; the quantity of the successes usually doesn’t matter unless the roll is contested, or the action is combat-based, although rolling 5 successes is considered an exceptional success.

Dramatic failure occurs:

A) when the player chooses to downgrade a regular failure to a dramatic one for a Beat, or

B) if the player rolls a 1 on a Chance Die, which is a single die one can roll even if a dice pool is reduced to 0 or below, due to negative modifiers.
        Last edited by Yossarian; 09-01-2018, 03:33 AM.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

The target number of successes for a roll that isn't contested by an opposing roll is one. If you get one success, your action succeeds, period. Difficulty is imposed by circumstantial dice penalties. A die rolls a success on an eight or above, which is relatively swingy, so requiring more than one success would yield a pretty high rate of failure for even well trained dice pools.
          Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 09-01-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I must admit that I love the notion of taking a Beat to downgrade a Failure to a Dramatic Failure. Without this, I think I saw two Dramatic Failures in 6+ years of running W/CoD. This not only leads to a lot of more interesting situations, but also gives the players a lot of agency.

Comment

There are also occasionally supernatural powers that can force dramatic failures. Thief of Fate for one example, though the way most work means that it is still pretty unlikely unless they are doing something they arn't particularly good at.

Comment

Working...
              X