Speculation: Dark Shards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Dark Shards

So I saw somewhere that one of the upcoming things for Chronicles of Darkness will be called “Dark Shards”. This gives me the impression of something like “Dark Eras”, but with alternate settings instead of historical ones. If this is indeed what Dark Shards is going to be, what would you like to see?

We were told about one, 'Shattered Masks: A Shards (alternative) World Setting where the Masquerade comes down. What effect does this have on a world of darkness where vampires are suddenly real, and among us?' The Mirrors book, also, calls shards alternative worlds.

I'm currently running a fantasy Werewolf one, the game really fitting into it well. The standard mirrors tend to be post apocalypse, sci-fi, and fantasy, but they were already covered in the Mirrors books. It would be interesting to have one where, say, Pangaea didn't fall, the Gauntlet never came up and the dominance of predators was maintained, just as it would be interesting to see one where the moon, and thus Luna, no longer exist. Also I'm still hung up on Malcolm Sheppard's Father Wolf as Galactus/Nyarlathotep destroyer entity, with werewolves has his harbingers, decide whether to stick to the plan or fight against it seems like a nice idea for a shard.

Also high school. For everyone. No idea how the vampires would do it, but that's always an entertaining prospect.
    Last edited by nofather; 09-05-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

General setting, as opposed to splat specific?
      • Infinite Macabre 2.0
      • A real "Fantasy" Shard (Low, High, or both)
      • Recursively, a Shard where each of the splats (and other phenomena) each occupy their own (private) copy of the world, connected by the God-Machine/Astral/whatever.
      • A pulptastic superhero verse.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        We were told about one, 'Shattered Masks: A Shards (alternative) World Setting where the Masquerade comes down. What effect does this have on a world of darkness where vampires are suddenly real, and among us?'
        Or, as a follow on, on where monsters are celebraties. Or just fellow citizens.

Comment

That have short comic where Narlythoptep, Cthulhu, Shub, and Yog form a rock band, but are on the verge of breaking up. Very strange, but also Cthulhu Mythos appropriate. So there would be a lot to mine in the premise of monsters as celebrities.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I suspect that they're probably going to be doing splat-specific settings for the most part, possibly with some two-or-three-splat crossover settings, and maybe with one or two Contagion-style general settings (since CC will be out by then, paving the way for all-splat crossovers).

In that last vein, I'd like to see an updated version of the Woundgate setting from Mirrors. And speaking of Mirrors, maybe a Promethean/Geist post-Apocalyptic Shard? Prometheans are already pretty close to the survivor trope, and I could definitely see Sin-Eater society getting a massive population boost in the wake of an apocalyptic disaster.

I'm also guessing that Dark Shards will minimize rules changes; and when they do change things, it will tend to be more cosmological (that is, changes to the world a la Woundgate) than personal (that is, changes relating to a splat, such as bringing back the Warg) — but that's just speculation; I could be wrong.

Comment

How about a Bleeding Edge style Demon/Deviant Shard? From the Demon side of things, you'd have corporations as Infrastructure; from the Deviant side, you'd have the alienation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                In that last vein, I'd like to see an updated version of the Woundgate setting from Mirrors.
                What was premise of Woundgate setting?

LGBT+ in CoD games
                Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

It's a modern fantasy Shard that adds hidden lands and cultures existing in the Shatter, a parallel reality that's separated from the regular world (a.k.a. the Corpse) by the Wound, and connected to it by Woundgates. The Shatter is very disjointed, and its inhabitants use the Corpse to get from one part of the Shatter to another.

Realms within the Shatter include such places as the Wild Lakes (a Shatterland designed for sword and sorcery style fantasy, where modern technology fails and dragons roam the land), Undergotham (a series of small Shatterlands in New York City designed for more of an urban fantasy style), and Quivira-Cibola (a huge magitech city hidden in a Shatterland near New Orleans, designed for weird fantasy). Inhabitants of the Shatterlands include the same variety of beings that inhabit the Corpse (e.g., humans, vampires, werewolves, etc.), plus a few demihuman types such as Atlanteans, dhampirs, and Wargaz (inspired by, but distinct from, Mage, Vampire, and Werewolf, respectively).

Comment

I still try to process it... So Woundgate's Corpse works as our real world, only that all those smaller realities bleed into it, in various places?

LGBT+ in CoD games
                    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Basically, yes; they're kind of like Terra Incognita in Scion: occult places existing just outside of regular geography.

Comment

I expect to see alternate template configurations. Of the "what if the return ritual was done elsewhere?" Interesting concepts that the gaming public wants, but that can not be added to the games soon we would have.

- Inca and Chinese Mummies ("What if the return ritual was done elsewhere?").
                        - Werewolves associated with Covenants ("And if the Heresies supplanted the war of Pure and Destitute?").
                        "What if the God-Machine was Mara?" Or if Beyond the God-Machine there were the Christian Logos with their Angels and Demons?
                        "And if the Lords of Death were the Corruptor Gods of the Xibalba (for Geist)."
                        "What if the Prometheans were the creation of supernatural models in the creative / servant struggle?"
                        "And all the powers of the Magus derive only from his Watchtower, and they did not have access to the powers of the other towers?"
                        "What if the Charlatans were the most common changelings?"
                        "What if vampires extracted vitae from Breath and Will rather than Blood and had connection and government in some threshold realm?
                        "What if the Beasts were parasites coming from nightmares?"
                        - What if Deviants were created by Aliens and Horrors instead of Human Conspiracies?
                        "What if there were hunters chosen by some supernatural force?"

Comment

Some of these are already there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                            Some of these are already there.
                            Very extremely, even.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

All the better. If something's already there, a Shard that features them is more a shift of emphasis than a change in the splat's basic nature — which IMHO is a good thing: Dark Shards shouldn't be about rules hacks.

Comment

Working...
                              X