No announcement yet.

[Conversion] Storypath elements in 2E Storytelling System games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First draft of my Mists mechanics that works sorta like Changelings Mask for mythical beings. It’s to be used in Iron and Heroic Myth Levels of play in Scion 2E games.

Mythic Mists

The World is hiding it’s mythical truth before mere mortals. They are covered by the normality, mundane, trying to trap everything extraordinaire so the people would forget – Mythical Mists. They makes something impossible look totally rational and mundane – until higher power is directly unveiling it before particular eyes. Mist is overlaying anything that is related to Legend – gods, Heroes, Denizens, creatures, objects or magic. You name it. Until you are invited by particular being to see it’s true self – you just see mundane façade of it.

Mechanics ( for Iron and Heroic Myth Levels )

Mythical beings and phenomena are perceived by almost everyone as mundane – unless will is put to drop the Mists. Each mythical being – gods, Denizens, even Heroes - can will the Mists so they would part – and show beings true self to mortals. Mythical phenomena are generally hidden and it’s all on the witness resolve and cunning to part them.

Mythical beings wanting to part the Mists before his witnesses need to spend 1 Momentum to show their true form to any mortal witness. Those creatures can sense in this disguise each other by spending 1 Momentum and rolling contested their Legend dots pools rolls. Denizens are treated as having at least Legend 1 for this only purpose, even when they normally not having this trait. If defender wins, observer still sense his target as mundane.

Mortal beings can sometimes pierce the Mists, if they are really driven. By spending 1 Momentum and rolling Integrity + Resolve – Legend of observed. Denizens are still treated here as having at least Legend 1 for this only purpose, even when they normally not having this trait. If mortal’s roll is successful, he gets a glimpsed of beings true form, not longer than few seconds. ( One turn )

Note: So what do you think about those rules? Any comments or advice?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Very nice idea an presentation. With the mortals sensing mechanic you could view the legend level several ways. One is the higher their legend the more skilled they are at hiding (as you currently have it) or the higher their legend the harder it is to contain their power (opposite of current) as the power is oozing out of them.

Either way great idea.

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
      Current Focus
      Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
      Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Thanks for comment!

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
        the higher their legend the harder it is to contain their power (opposite of current) as the power is oozing out of them.
        You could use Mists that way - but it would be counterproductive. Mists are add to the Scion by me so the mythical part of the World would be hidden, in general population. If you would do 'higher Legend, harder to contain', then lower mythical phenomena - like existence of particular Denizens - would be harder to find than the lower power god. And he would be harder to find than fundamentals on Panteon, like Odin or Zeus. It's a bit absurd when the most hidden beings in setting are centaurs and satyrs, and not the mightiest gods that everyone have on speed dial in their phones.

If would come to this, much easier is just not having Mists at all, and just assume that everyone know that gods exists and 'they work in mysterious ways' - i.e. how the the World setting works in vanilla Scion 2E gameline.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-04-2019, 12:33 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Thinking about it - As Storypath and CoD mechanics are so similar in basics - When I will need to use some ghosts, spirits ( or other ephemeral beings rules ) in Scion, I just use mechanics from my CoD 2E books.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

For anyone interesting in my Mythical Mists mechanics - we now have great discussion on subject on Scion forum. Graylion, Heavy Arms - you seemed to be interested in those.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I have enemy on closest session that comes straight from PCs action - fire spirit coming from their creation of great fire in village. And I wanted to test some Storypath mechanics. So I thought I will use Scale Size mechanics, with spirit that is few stories tall. With Uratha werewolves still being Scale 0 and spirit being Scale 2 ( few stories building ), I get it right that spirit will do Scale 2 effects to werewolves? ( Spirit's Scale 2 - Uratha Scale 0 = Scale 2 effects )

So the spirit will do 5x rolled damage to them - or +4 to any damage roll? I still do not get Scale good enough.

​May I ask for help with that you - Mateus Luz , Heavy Arms, Graylion ?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

By Storypath scale, the spirit will gain 4 enhancements and cause up to 2 extra injuries (what I would translate as a +4 damage) on a direct attack. But as a Scale creature we could use the Shockwave tag (targeting an area), causing regular damage (without the +4) on anyone on close range of the main target.

The werewolves would have an issue to attack, the scale add it’s value as a enhancement on defence (what I would add as armor, reducing the damage the spirit receives from each attack by 2), reducing a lot the effective damage the spirit receives from each of the attacks.

The scale 2 spirit is basically the last size they could target, after that (scale 3, the size of a apartment building or a blue whale) the spirit is just too big for regular claws, and they would need a heavy weapon to at least hurt the spirit a little, like a big harpoon, or an anti tank machine gun.

Edit: just to add a comment, I didn’t play COD, but I played a lot WoD, and I see it’s close enough to guess, but the bonus could be wrong as there are differences between the way a increase in the damage may affect.
                Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-06-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                  By Storypath scale, the spirit will gain 4 enhancements and cause up to 2 extra injuries (what I would translate as a +4 damage) on a direct attack.
                  Okay, +4L damage for particular one target. Good to know!

But as a Scale creature we could use the Shockwave tag (targeting an area), causing regular damage (without the +4) on anyone on close range of the main target.
                  So, am I getting it is this - Spirit is targeting werewolf A. Nearby to him ( how much it is? Close range of fire in CoD? ) are werewolves B and C. Werewolves D and E are on the other side of Spirit. As I understand, wolf A get's full damage ( with +4L extra from Scale ), wolves B and C get's as Scale 0 attacks from Shockwave - so normal damage ( without extra ). Wolves D and E do not get any damage. I get it right?

The werewolves would have an issue to attack, the scale add it’s value as a enhancement on defence (what I would add as armor, reducing the damage the spirit receives from each attack by 2), reducing a lot the effective damage the spirit receives from each of the attacks.
                  So Spirit get's Armor 2 against attacks from wolves, just from Scale difference, yes?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Close is no more than 3m (10ft +-), more like melee range than properly ranged.
                    So A get damage +4, B and C (being no more than 3m away) get damage and D and E get no damage at all.

About the Armor, correct, and it stack with all other armors as long the attacker is smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      So the spirit will do 5x rolled damage to them - or +4 to any damage roll? I still do not get Scale good enough.
                      Just to clear this up.

Scale multiplies against "trivial" targets like crowds of normal people or scenery. Scale has a flat bonus when dealing with important characters. This is one of the areas where STpath and CofD diverge a bit, as there isn't an explicit trivial designation.

So if a fire monster is rampaging down a street, the multiplier "narrative" Scale is how many everyday normal folks running for their lives get lit on fire, or how big of an area turns into a hellish landscape as everything around them starts to go up in flames. So our fire monster with Scale 2 applied would set the scenery within 45 feet aflame, and the five closest minor bystanders it wants to kill would be actively burning to death. This is less important if you're fighting in Hisil or even Twilight since that wouldn't really matter.

The +4 the fire monster gets is for going the PCs, major (to the story) NPCs and so on. The fire monster doesn't get to turn the pack's major Wolf-blooded that are there trying to do damage control like they were normal folks... even if the monster could probably kill a Wolfblooded really easily with that +4 if they decided to attack the Wolf-blooded instead of the Uratha.

---------------

In this specific scenario, I'd probably advise not leaving the Uratha in quite this much of a lurch. I'd give them general combat Scale 1 if they shift up to Gauru to fight this thing... the killing form is meant for this after all, and a lot of the bonuses are already basically getting some Scale as it is.

Comment

An update on Chronicles of Darkness to Storypath Conversion with some rough drafts.

Feedback welcome.

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                        Current Focus
                        Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                        Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Working...
                        X