Player Beware! You're In for a Scare - Goosebumps Inspired Horrors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Beware! You're In for a Scare - Goosebumps Inspired Horrors

It's October! And for me, few things capture the spirit of Halloween better than a certain children's book series from the 90s...

Goosebumps!

The books are mostly poorly written. The TV show is watchable at best. The movie is an obvious nostalgia grab. And I love every bit of it.

So of course I've melded it with Chronicles of Darkness in my brain more than once, and I figured I'd share a few of these creations with you on this thread. Feel free to post your own if you feel inspired!

I'll start with my favorite book and TV show episode. Player Beware...

The Haunted Mask

Name: “The Haunted Mask”
    Concept: A Living Mask that Won't Come Off
    Aspiration: To possess a body, forever.

Best At: (10 Dice) Terrifying People, Corrupting Hosts, Staying Attached

Worst At: (2 Dice) Interacting with People, Moving or Acting without a Host

All Other Pools: 5

Willpower/Scene: 6/Scene

Dread Powers: Madness and Terror, *Soul Thief, Unbreakable, *Adhesive, Numen: Dement

Bane: A Symbol of True Love

*Soul Thief: The condition that allows The Haunted Mask to attempt to steal someone's soul is that the victim must willingly put on the mask.

*Adhesive: This Horror tends to stick around! When certain conditions are met, the Horror becomes attached to something (or someone) and becomes very hard to physically remove. The condition may be after a successful bite attack, the result of a kiss or lick, or any other situation that involves physical contact with the Horror. Any attempt to remove the Horror suffers a -2 penalty that becomes more intense by one after every removal attempt until it reaches a maximum of a -5 penalty. In combat, this Dread Power initiates a Grapple and follows the rules for resolving that with the same penalties imposed on the victim. This Dread Power may be contested by the creature's bane which eliminates the penalty.

Description: 'The Haunted Mask' has had several appearances throughout the years, but the most typical form it takes is a twisted monster's visage that is disturbing to behold. Its skin is leathery and warm and seems to take on a greenish or gray tint. While there is some resemblance to a human face, its features are extremely exaggerated and come complete with very sharp fangs. When held, it has the normal features of a mask: holes for the eyes, nostrils and mouth, an opening at the bottom to put your head into, and a sort of rubbery texture. As soon as the mask is put on, it sinks close in to the flesh and perfectly conforms around its host.

Legend: Tales of the 'Haunted Mask' do not go very far, nor are they well known. Every now and again, the story is told as a Halloween fable, urging children to accept themselves for who they are and to know how deeply they are loved... So that they may not be tempted to try on 'The Haunted Mask.' For if you put it on, and you are not very careful, it will never come off. That twisted and horrible face will be your face, and soon, you will delight in horrifying people as much as it does while it steals your eyes and consumes your soul.

History: Unfortunately for its victims, the Haunted Mask is indeed real, and there are more than one. It is a rare phenomenon and has only popped up a few times in known history since the date of its creation, but woe be to the one who discovers it.

The creator of the original Mask was a Vampire of a particular Clan who had been cursed with a horrifyingly off-putting nature. Sometimes this manifested as a bad smell, an incurable social disease, or physical alterations. For the original creator, he was a cursed with a horrifying face that made social interaction next to impossible. He belonged to an organization of Vampires that sought to overcome the limitations of their kind, and he experimented on ridding his bloodline of this curse once and for all. The result of his experiment was the literal sloughing off of his face that left behind a beautiful one in its place. Sadly, the effect was short lived, and in a number of nights, the corruption would re-enter the face and make it hideous again. All the creator had to show for his labor was a journal detailing his process and a collection of flesh faces.

Try as he might, though, the creator could not get rid of these faces. Not even the great Bane of Vampires, fire and sunlight, could destroy them. In defeat, the creator propped them up on display in his lair and deemed them the 'Unloved Ones' as no one could ever love a face that twisted. Or could they...?

One of the Vampire's minions, a blood addicted mortal, admired the 'scary masks' that his Lord had collected and deeply sought to wear one in order to terrorize his enemies. Unbidden, the mortal took one of the faces and put it on, only to begin to hear whispers in his mind encouraging him to strike fear into the hearts of men. The voice was completely unlike his Lord's voice; the Mask had taken on a life of its own, corrupted by the blood that once flowed within. It had felt wanted, and now it had what it desired most: a body. The minion was given over to a new Master, and after a few nights of terror in the streets, there was little left of the minion who was now completely possessed by its permanently twisted face.

This attracted the attention of other Vampires who were none too pleased with this new Horror. The Minion was beheaded, and the creator was punished for allowing his minion to run free and attract attention to the supernatural. The journal and the other 'Masks' were put away, never meant to be found again.

But things are always found again. Hundreds of years later, the organization that the creator belonged to still exists and thrives in the night, and all it would take is one desperate Vampire cursed with physical deformity to find these journals and repeat the creator's work, hoping to 'get it right this time.' This has happened before, and it will almost definitely happen again. Thankfully, the resulting 'masks' are usually hidden away or shut up someplace, but it is not unheard of for one to go missing and find its way into dusty basements or novelty stores, waiting for someone to love it and want to try it on...

(TL/DR: Nosferatu did an Ordo Dracul experiment that went horribly wrong and created a whole new monster!)

Obligatory resource mentioning is obligatory.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

"And then the car wash cost five dollars."

Comment

Looking at the list of original books.

All of the monster blood stories could be easily adapted as an effect that spawns brief nightmares. Or turns other creatures into horrors.

The werewolf camp ones are wolf blooded and skin changers.

Most of the evil toy ones are possessed or something.

Alot of classic monsters, vampires, ghosts werewolves.... and mummies. Lots and lots of mummies.

Funny thing is alot of these stories could be mechanically represented in CoD or already have easy avenues to write them in.

Ooh here's a challenge: Cuckoclock of Doom. How do you stat and backstory it as a Brief Nightmare? A mage thing maybe. It isnt malevolent, just bbuggy if you messed with its interface. Course it could mess with your stats. Oh man imagine being a supernatural and then suddenly being not because you time travel before you turned awakened or whatever.

..... Okay whats with Camp Jellyjam? How does that one end because the summaries rate its ending as weird.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
        DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
        Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post
          Looking at the list of original books.

All of the monster blood stories could be easily adapted as an effect that spawns brief nightmares. Or turns other creatures into horrors.

The werewolf camp ones are wolf blooded and skin changers.

Most of the evil toy ones are possessed or something.

Alot of classic monsters, vampires, ghosts werewolves.... and mummies. Lots and lots of mummies.

Funny thing is alot of these stories could be mechanically represented in CoD or already have easy avenues to write them in.

Ooh here's a challenge: Cuckoclock of Doom. How do you stat and backstory it as a Brief Nightmare? A mage thing maybe. It isnt malevolent, just bbuggy if you messed with its interface. Course it could mess with your stats. Oh man imagine being a supernatural and then suddenly being not because you time travel before you turned awakened or whatever.

..... Okay whats with Camp Jellyjam? How does that one end because the summaries rate its ending as weird.
          Yeah. Turns out that:

The camp mascot is a real being who put the counselors under a mind control spell so they could find the best potential slaves from the campers.

The primary duty of said slaves being to constantly wash him so that he doesn't suffocate on his own BO. Not exactly the most dignified of antagonists.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

I accept your challenge! Personally, the Cuckoo Clock of Doom strikes me as something God Machine flavored. Similar to the "Do-Over" Room, it could be a piece of infrastructure that is meant to send someone backwards in time concealed in a cuckoo clock. It served its purpose, and it was less effort to leave it be just in case the God Machine needed it again. And besides, who would be silly enough to twist the head of the cuckoo bird around and activate it?

I'll do a full write up soon!

And yes, "The Horror at Camp Jellyjam" is bizarre. When I need a good Goosebumps 'WTF' moment, I reach for that one, "I Live In Your Basement," and "My Best Friend is Invisible."

Comment

The Haunted Mask episodes of the TV series gave me nightmares as a child and is far and away my favorite of all the Goosebumps - so seeing this is really cool. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by TellMe_TellMe View Post

I accept your challenge! Personally, the Cuckoo Clock of Doom strikes me as something God Machine flavored. Similar to the "Do-Over" Room, it could be a piece of infrastructure that is meant to send someone backwards in time concealed in a cuckoo clock. It served its purpose, and it was less effort to leave it be just in case the God Machine needed it again. And besides, who would be silly enough to twist the head of the cuckoo bird around and activate it?

I'll do a full write up soon!

And yes, "The Horror at Camp Jellyjam" is bizarre. When I need a good Goosebumps 'WTF' moment, I reach for that one, "I Live In Your Basement," and "My Best Friend is Invisible."
                Michael was. And so is alot of players in rpgs. Esprcially if s button on the screen says that

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Working...
                X