Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Disputed Rolls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about Disputed Rolls

    Hi!

    Why sometimes a disputed roll calls for two attributes (plus Supernatural Resistance) instead one?

    The same question can be applied to resistance, when subtract the attribute from the roll.

  • #2
    You mean contested rolls? It depends on the source. Numina often calls for two Attributes instead of one because ephemeral entities tend to have large dice pools. Otherwise it's always only one Attribute + Supernatural Tolerance.
    Resisted rolls only subtract one Attribute (or Defense in case of attack rolls) as far as I know. You'd have to provide examples if you want them explained.


    Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

    Comment


    • #3
      In general, the game uses Attribute + Attribute rolls for tasks that aren't generally a matter of specific training (such as Resolve + Composure to remain unswayed by something), and to keep the dice-pool size in the same ball park as Attribute + Skill rolls to keep the math fair.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        You mean contested rolls? It depends on the source. Numina often calls for two Attributes instead of one because ephemeral entities tend to have large dice pools. Otherwise it's always only one Attribute + Supernatural Tolerance.
        Resisted rolls only subtract one Attribute (or Defense in case of attack rolls) as far as I know. You'd have to provide examples if you want them explained.

        Exactly, contested rolls. So, the only exception is the Numina rolls? Sometimes, i don't know if a roll should be resisted or contested.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by winchester View Post
          Exactly, contested rolls. So, the only exception is the Numina rolls? Sometimes, i don't know if a roll should be resisted or contested.
          Numina rolls are the only that I know of.

          Rolls are normally contested. The roll is only resisted if the number of successes matters (for more than just determining failure/success/exceptional). Attacks are the most common example since the damage is based on number of successes rolled.


          Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

          Comment


          • #6
            A roll to affect another character should be resisted if its effect is primarily limited by the number of successes rolled.
            It can also be resisted if its effect isn't too oppressive and a subject successfully targeted can still reasonably work around it, or in other words, if it's just generally more interesting if it's likely to succeed and not worth slowing down with an extra roll.

            Anything else should be contested. This primarily includes effects which are significantly manipulative or debilitating and are mostly binary in nature: either it happens or it doesn't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tessie View Post

              Numina rolls are the only that I know of.

              Rolls are normally contested. The roll is only resisted if the number of successes matters (for more than just determining failure/success/exceptional). Attacks are the most common example since the damage is based on number of successes rolled.

              And about resisted rolls, normally is 1 or 2 Attributes?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by winchester View Post
                And about resisted rolls, normally is 1 or 2 Attributes?
                With the possible exception of Numina, resisted rolls are only resisted with one Attribute. No Supernatural Tolerance.


                Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tessie View Post

                  Numina rolls are the only that I know of.

                  Rolls are normally contested. The roll is only resisted if the number of successes matters (for more than just determining failure/success/exceptional). Attacks are the most common example since the damage is based on number of successes rolled.


                  But I guess that there is some exceptions, doesn't it? For example, in the roll to resist poisons, your dice pool is resolve + Stamina, reduced by Toxicity, like a Resisted Roll, but it works like a Contested, doesn't apply the number of success and applying 2 Attributes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The poison isn't another character with its own dice pool. It's a modifier that penalises your own dice pool.


                    Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X