[Dark Eras] Dangers of land travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras] Dangers of land travel

Before mass transportation ( mainly before railroad systems in 19th century ) traveling by land, even by using common routes - was filled with dangers. Bandits, wild animals, collapsed route. This topic is for collecting ideas on how to make the PC's life difficult in a long journey on land in the periods before the Steam Era.

So I run my Viking Werewolf game and now PCs have at least few dozens days of traveling by foot to next big settlement. ( Kuaru /future Kiev/ - they are in 800 AD in the modern deep Russia. ) They pass big rivers, dense forests and open (Great) Steppe. Running the sessions of 'you just move next day till Kuaru' would be too boring. As those area largely uninhabited, using even 'you are attacked by bandits' sounds not very plausible. I look for some cool encounters ideas so give them to players in a few days intervals. Encounters can be both supernatural and mundane - but mundane would be more praised, as I have a larger problem with inventing those.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Mine own idea for 'Random Encounter Generator rules for CoD':
    'On long land journeys ( more than 3 days ), Storyteller rolls d10 in secret. Result is number of days when some next unusual event on route is.'
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-18-2018, 10:15 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Inclement weather that forces the party to find shelter? hell even encounter roving traders as they make their routes. depending on when the game is set, the party could come across mongol war parties or raiders.

Comment

The gauntlet is incredibly thin in uninhabited wilderness. Make of that what you will. Also, why aren't they taking the shorter journey through the Hisil?

As for other creatures, there could be Rapt hermit mages, strange Horrors unknown to man, and most of all the Fey, the people of the wild places.

Also, what kind of cargo are they carrying along? Are they using any animals to carry then or their possessions? Your animals may have a harder time in the wilderness relative to your regenerating, hunt-master Werewolves. Taking care of them against injury, disease and predators of all shapes, sizes and states of being could provide a challenge.

Like, what do you do if a traveling Wolf spirit eats your donkey's spiritual reflection and it just lays down and dies?
      Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 11-18-2018, 04:18 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

There are humans in your pack right? Have them fall I'll. Some groups can get around that easily but some can't.
        Alternatively having any pack animals fall and break legs. Means the party has to start prioritising what they need to carry.

Comment

Wolves, snakes and bears, and don't forget getting lost and everyone's favorite...dysentery. Seriously though, outside of extreme weather what could threaten a Werewolf in the wild?
          If you want to do bandit encounters then logically they would occur at or near river crossings and mountain passes, places the bandits know most travelers will have to traverse. There will also be local tribes who don't take kindly to strangers crossing their territory, drinking their water and hunting their game.

Comment

Tinkering with 'Encounter Generator' I was thinking on what intervals to test if something interesting happening to players. In D&D you would roll each day on particular table to see if something unusual happen. For games talked on forum I feel it will be too much.

So I got mine own 'Random Encounter Generator rules for CoD':
            'On long land journeys ( more than 3 days ), Storyteller rolls d10 in secret. Result is number of days when some next unusual event on route is.'

Yes, I'm proud of this idea for Random Encounter Generator.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

As my players are now in area around of future Smolensk, they are near the start of Dniepr and we are starting to get Dnieper Rapids - and with them, historical bandits tribes of Pechenegs. So in my example, I can use them as 'bandits encounters' now.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Master Aquatosic and 2ptTakrill, great points. I will mull them over.

As to rest of raised questions, in my particular example...
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                There are humans in your pack right?
                They were - on last game session small battle between PCs werewolves and local vampires ended with all human packmates death ( circa 30 Vikings ). HOWEVER, I need to make Elodoth First Change of Wolf-Blooded player and was thinking about scenario of him separating from the pack and finding weird settlement, under the Half Moon - so he would need to solve their conflict or problem by First Change into Gauru.

I say that we do not have humans now - but they possible can get them on route, as slaves, in near future.

Have them fall I'll.
                Will look in to rules of Health in Dark Eras 1 core, for future reference.

Alternatively having any pack animals fall and break legs. Means the party has to start prioritising what they need to carry.
                PCs do not have animals - they only have two boats now. But I discovered that as they are almost all Uratha ( with 2 Wolf-Blooded ) they could much quickly travel in Urshul or Urhan forms - with WB raiding 'Mononoke Style' on giant wolves.

However, they would need to lose all their extra stuff, boats and equipment - with 'Sacred Stone' that grants them emergency sorta-teleportation to homeland. ( Well, on Stone could be attached to one of WB, all day long. )
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-18-2018, 11:16 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                X