[Dark Eras fan] Kuaru – Early Medieval Kiev, Ukraine – circa 700 – 988 AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras fan] Kuaru – Early Medieval Kiev, Ukraine – circa 700 – 988 AD

Topic for splintered setting to my Byzantine Empire project, about predecessor settlement to modern Kiev – called previously Kuaru – that I plan to remake into proper stories setting for Storyteller’s Vault later. This Eras setting is extension for Wolf & Raven Era and spans the times of both Khazars rules in area – being outpost of Khazars Khanagate - as later Rus (Norse) Khanagate. It extends in to origins of Kievan Rus in year of 882 AD, when Prince Oleg became first ruler of it, forming stable kingdom. This setting ends with Baptism of Rus in year 988 AD, when Byzantium became de facto patron of the new state and almost all traces of Norseman in region are lost.

To start the topic discussion I point, after Wolf & Raven, that Rus people were ( probably ) from Norse coming to Slavic lands on boats ( called for "the men who row" (rods-) in Old Norse ). Rus became local elite in new coming Slavic kingdoms of Early Medieval period, adopting to local societies and intermarrying with Slavs. All the Norseman in those regions were called Varangians.

Now, to the setting proper…

Kuaru ( Khazars & Rus Khanagates )

In the times of both Khanagates ( till year 882 AD ), Kuaru is great trading post, made in the shadow of the hill-fortress, called Sambat (Old Turkic for "high place") that was built by Khazars to defend the area. As settlement is located near the confluence of the Dnieper and Desna river systems, it quickly became trade nexus. In times of Khanagates it’s mainly slaves, fur and jewellery, most often robbed between next chiefs, khagans. Settlement was ruled mainly by one at the time, but Khanagate as subdivided into various areas of influence between those leaders – that itself lead to constant fights over Kuaru or nearby regions. From mid-800s there is constant trade with and war groups attacking Constantinople from the area.

Kuaru as settlement is built mostly from dugouts where most of population that is Slavs lives. First Khazars and then later Norseman elite lives in more representative but still wooden buildings.

Khazar in Khanagate times are following what is known as Tengrism, which focused on the sky god Tengri. Horse sacrifices were made to this supreme deity. Rites involved offerings to fire, water, and the moon, to remarkable creatures, and to "gods of the road" (cf. Old Türk yol tengri, perhaps a god of fortune). Sun amulets were widespread as cultic ornaments. A tree cult was also maintained. Whatever was struck by lightning, man or object, was considered a sacrifice to the high god of heaven. The afterlife, to judge from excavations of aristocratic tumuli, was much a continuation of life on earth, warriors being interred with their weapons, horses, and sometimes with human sacrifices. Ancestor worship was observed in Khazars – that lead to great Underworld imprint on the society. Slavs are following their own pantheon, partially in secret.

Under Rus rules, Kuaru’s main religions are the Aesir and the Vanir of Wolf & Raven Era.

Sum up

That’s all I have for now. Ask questions on subjects related to Kuaru, I will answer – or look for it in researches and papers. Now I need to prepare few NPCs for Khazars Khanagate period, so I’m open for general ideas – I probably will do local khagan, his main priest and war leader.

Also, I look for information how big Kuaru settlement could realistically be in those times? We say here 100, 500 or 1000 people?

And, of course, I make shutout to Khanwulf, master of Eastern Slavic lands and Early Medieval period. Maybe he will join in topic.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-29-2018, 03:48 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    And, of course, I make shutout to Khanwulf, master of Eastern Slavic lands and Early Medieval period. Maybe he will join in topic.
    Master? No. Apprentice of research, yes.

That said and with in the pursuit of historical accuracy in everything (because that is where the shadows can be found), I'm pretty sure the Khazars were not the original founders of Sambat. Without going back to the sources I'm pretty sure it was either in use or established by the Huns.

Poor Slavs. They seem to be a people who's ties to indigenous leadership were extinguished and they kept looking outward for someone to direct them. Wonder where that came from. (The Central European branches were under Avar thumbs until the Slavs found help in Charlemagne and the Bulgars (Khan Krum) to break that Confederacy, circa 800.)

--Khanwulf

Comment

I do live the time of the (ill-named) Russian Primary Chronicle

Comment

Originally posted by MhicWombat View Post
        I do live the time of the (ill-named) Russian Primary Chronicle
        You lived in times of circa 500 till 900 AD? 🤔

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Can I get a hold of you for an interview?

Comment

Kuaru in Khazars Khanagate ( circa 800 AD )

Settlement is under regime of local khagans, that are often changed after next chieftain calls for duel previous one - or just raid again the whole Kuaru. That means that now khagan is residing in the Sambat wooden fort on the hill, with 50 of his best men as personal guard. Slavic servants and residence of village are below it, encircling the wooden palisade of the fort. On this wall there are built also 3 watch-out small towers, with 2 guardsman each shift – both using bow and prepared to alarm the area. One entrance to the Sambat is guarded by 4 biggest and meanest of warriors Khazars could find. Around it are grazing cattle and sheep, under watch of herders.

Inside the Sambat are Khazar’s 3 large wooden homes ( barracks ), Great Hall of Khagan and temple for god Tengri, with a bas-relief stylized as the World Tree on side. Greatest part of the building is symbolizing heaven, where Tengri, Sky Father is and waiting for best of his worshippers. Beside it, there is small ‘altar’ for Ulgan, Son God, creator of humanity. And in foundation of temple, dugout of the ground below it, there is marked place for the dark, subterranean world where the dead reside and the unfavourable ancestors are – the Underworld. Around the place are symbolic bas-relief representation of various nature spirits – which are, unknowingly by the priests, a good place to Resonant with the suitable spirits of Shadow Realm.

Frame: Temple as portal to realms
            Temple of Tengri, by connecting imagines of various realms of Chronicles of Darkness, is natural entry way to this realms by secret rights and proper rituals. Subterranean part of place is Avernian Gate to Underworld. Varied totems and idols of nature’s lesser gods are natural connection for their local Hisil spirits. Maybe even bas-relief of World Tree itself leads to the realm that later will be called Yggdrasil, Realm of Sacrifice by Norseman? ( See Mage the Awakening 2E, page 251 )

Fortification description - Based on this research -
            ‘Written sources indicate that, disregarding fortresses, there were three types of man-made defence employed by the Khazars for the fortification of a camping ground: (1) building palisade, (2) encircling the settlement by carts, and (3) digging ditches round the camp. The Muslim authors Gardīzī, al-Marwazī and al-Bakrī indicated that the military camps of the Khazars were strengthened by board fence. Other Muslim authors reported that the Khazar capital was strengthened by the placement of carts around it. Finally, Ibn Rusta mentioned that the Khazars made ditches against the Hungarians (Magyars) and other enemies. The aim of this paper is to collect and analyse the data on the strengthening of the camp at the Khazars and among their neighbours.’

Next time - Important people in Kuaru in year circa 800 AD.
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-02-2018, 01:06 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

You lived in times of circa 500 till 900 AD? 🤔
              Damn you, lack of Autocorrect!

Comment

Kuaru ( circa 800 AD ) important persons

In prepared stats for major NPCs in year 800 AD I use from page 143 CoD Rulebook mechanics for Brief Nightmares, even to lone NPCs - as they are easily to use in play and enough to model distinctive characters that do not need full stats. Instead of Dread Powers I gave them most important Merits and other powers suitable – Merits are used up to maximum possible dots, as they are not as good as one Dread Power they supplicate. Gave them also Virtues and Vices. Bashtu is Wolf-Blooded character, so using some mechanics from Werewolf: The Forsaken 2E corebook. In brackets I put the Horror Type each character use for this rules.

Kundaj Terrible, Khagan ( Lone Terror )
                Virtue: Reasonable
                Vice: Arrogant
                Aspiration: To conquer as much region as possible

Best Dicepool: 10 – Enforcing commands, Plan the battle, Show the might
                Worst Dicepool: 2 – Show emotions, Reason with lower from him
                All Other Pools: 5
                Merits & Powers:
                Common Sense (•••) ( Rolls Best Dicepool )
                Indomitable (••)
                Iron Will (••) – Uses All Other Pools instead of Resolve
                Small Unit Tactics (••)
                Staff (•••••) – Survival, Socialize, Weaponry, Enigmas, Brawl
                Status ( Khazar Empire - •••• )
                Trained Observer (••)
                Language – Native: Khazar, Foreign: Slavic
                Willpower: 10
                Health: 12
                Defense: 5 ( In armor: 4 )
                Speed: 10
                Initiative: +5
                Armor: Leather (hard) - 2/0 – Str: 2, Def: -1, Avab •
                Weapon: Sword – Dam: +3, Init: −3, Str: 2 Size: 3 Avab: •••

Bashtu All-Knowing, High Priest – Wolf-Blooded ( Lone Terror )
                Tribe: Fire-Touched
                Virtue: Faithful
                Vice: Prideful
                Aspiration: To fulfill the will of gods

Best Dicepool: 10 – Read the will of ‘gods’ ( spirits ), Raising the crowd, Performing rites
                Worst Dicepool: 2 – Lying, Ranged combat
                All Other Pools: 5
                Merits & Powers:
                Closed Book (••••)
                Eidetic Memory (••)
                Eye for the Strange (••)
                Holistic Awareness (•)
                Mystery Cult Initiation (•••••)
                Staff (•••) –Enigmas, Investigation, Survival
                Tells: Evil Eyes, Horse, Piercing Eyes
                Language – Native: Khazar, Foreign: Slavic, First Tongue
                Willpower: 9
                Health: 12
                Defense: 5
                Speed: 10
                Armor: None ( priest vests ) - 0/0 – Str: 1 , Init: 0, Avab ••
                Weapons:
                Ceremonial knife ( Silver ) – Dam: +1, Init: −1, Str: 1 Size: 2 Avab: •••

Tarkhan Cruel, Bek - i.e. War Leader ( Horde )
                Virtue: Brave
                Vice: Cruel
                Aspiration: To win each battle

Best Dicepool: 7 – Close combat, Intimidate enemy, Track the prey
                Worst Dicepool: 1 – Debate, Being sensitive
                All Other Pools: 3
                Merits & Powers:
                Danger Sense (••)
                Fast Reflexes (••)
                Giant (•••)
                Status ( Khazar Empire - ••• )
                Language – Native: Khazar, Foreign: Slavic
                Willpower: 6
                Health: 10
                Defense: 3
                Speed: 12
                Armor: Leather (hard) - 2/0 – Str: 2, Init: -1, Avab •
                Weapons:
                Sword – Dam: +3, Init: −3, Str: 2 Size: 3 Avab: •••
                Hatchet – Dam: +1, Init: −2, Str: 1 Size: 1 Avab: ••
                Short Bow – Dam: +2, Range: Medium, Init: −3, Str: 2 Size: 3 Avab: ••

Any thoughts or comments on this guys are welcomed. Khanwulf , MhicWombat ?
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                X