Intelligent Animals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligent Animals

Folks, I have a sense that there was a thread some time back about statting out intelligent, supernatural animals in CofD but a search is not turning this up.

Anyone have pointers?

Thanks
    --Khanwulf

I tried making a codex of pre-gened supernatural animals, but that didn't work out well.
    None of them were intelligent.

By what methodology of stating out you want to go for? I don't see or recall it either. But maybe we can try something.

Did you mean animals that were the base animal but intelligent? Or animals who are PCs?

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Biggest thing I see are interaction rules. Like not having opposable thumbs, needing water to breathe, people not talking to (Politics and Streetwise) a talking boa constrictor, etc.

Other than that, Attributes and such should be easy enough.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Primarily I'm interested in understanding if there is already something out there for this, independently or in one of the game lines. I may be dreaming that I read something on the subject here before.

That said, uplifting an animal wouldn't be too hard if we were to define a set of merits that accomplishes the step-up in intelligence and capabilities (speaking, say). Animals, for example, have mental stats but the don't work on quite the same scale. Certain magics (Mind, Life, other sorcerous modifications) could do this easily. I'm not really thinking "add opposable thumbs" as that crosses the line into hybrid in my book.

I got on this track of thinking by conceiving an scenario for a PC who might be able to turn his soul/spirit into a raven to escape what would otherwise be certain death. And then, probably would not be able to turn back. (Long story, so just roll with this.)

--Khanwulf

Comment

We say her Pugmire and Mau uplifting of animals were they have more or less human features? Or just that animal stays totally in it's form, it just can think and speak like humans?

Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau Uplifting

'Think and speak' Uplifting

LGBT+ in CoD games
          Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
          Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
          Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
          My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
            Primarily I'm interested in understanding if there is already something out there for this, independently or in one of the game lines. I may be dreaming that I read something on the subject here before.

That said, uplifting an animal wouldn't be too hard if we were to define a set of merits that accomplishes the step-up in intelligence and capabilities (speaking, say). Animals, for example, have mental stats but the don't work on quite the same scale. Certain magics (Mind, Life, other sorcerous modifications) could do this easily. I'm not really thinking "add opposable thumbs" as that crosses the line into hybrid in my book.

I got on this track of thinking by conceiving an scenario for a PC who might be able to turn his soul/spirit into a raven to escape what would otherwise be certain death. And then, probably would not be able to turn back. (Long story, so just roll with this.)

--Khanwulf
            Skin-thieves turn into animals. Model it like that, except permanent?

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
              Folks, I have a sense that there was a thread some time back about statting out intelligent, supernatural animals in CofD but a search is not turning this up.

Anyone have pointers?

Thanks
              --Khanwulf
              Hedgebeasts in Autumn Nightmares is a good place to start.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
              Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

I believe Cryptids from DtD could be intelligent enough for speech. They generally also come with other modifications but you don't have to include them. The only trait that all Cryptids share is their personal masquerade filter effect that makes humans forget them.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Thanks folks. Look like we have a good list then:

* Skin thieves to animals
                  * Hedgebeasts (Autumn Nightmares)
                  * Cryptids (DtD)

Another that occurred to me is to model it based on Protean.

Just remove the "off" button and tada.

--Khanwulf

Comment

"You can shift to manifest animal powers."
                    "Cool." does so a few times "How do I change back?"
                    "MwuahahahHAHA!" turns into smoke and flies away

Comment

It's funny because it's not actually stated in Beast's Skin (Protean 3 animal form) how you turn back to your normal form. And duration is stated as indefinite so you can't wait it out either.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        It's funny because it's not actually stated in Beast's Skin (Protean 3 animal form) how you turn back to your normal form. And duration is stated as indefinite so you can't wait it out either.
                        Duration is also stated as Indefinite for Unmarked Grave, which characters are presumed to be able to use without burying themselves not-quite-alive until somebody chips them out of the dirt.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Related to the prior posts?

Source: https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2018/12...-posters-pics/
                          Last edited by Vent0; 12-03-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            Duration is also stated as Indefinite for Unmarked Grave, which characters are presumed to be able to use without burying themselves not-quite-alive until somebody chips them out of the dirt.
                            I didn't think I would need to write a dissertation on the writer's intentionality (or lack thereof) relating to the absence of cancellation descriptors and the ludicrous consequences of interpreting them as deliberate.
                            Despite what your recent posts implies I am quite capable of critical thought and just thought it funny to bring up that an oversight in the text happened to support Vent0's humorous comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

I didn't think I would need to write a dissertation on the writer's intentionality (or lack thereof) relating to the absence of cancellation descriptors and the ludicrous consequences of interpreting them as deliberate.
                              Despite what your recent posts implies I am quite capable of critical thought and just thought it funny to bring up that an oversight in the text happened to support Vent0's humorous comment.

You're quite OK, Tessie.

And yes, that's hilarious (thanks Vent0) because now we can totally believe that edge case is/was out there somewhere. Imagine a vampiric somethingorother stuck like that because he or she thinks they don't know how to turn back. Given the premises that supernatural powers are magic, and that magic means imposing your will on the world, and that will is derived from identity and desire, we could pretty quickly visualize some poor get who just doesn't have enough holding themselves together and becomes lost in their (awful) shapechange.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                              X