Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Geist: Sin Eater make for a good survival horror?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Geist: Sin Eater make for a good survival horror?

    I see some survival horror game popping up but can a survival feature a sin eater fighting ghosts?

  • #2
    Yes...and no. Aesthetically and thematically yes but the character's abilities would make this difficult. Imma assume 2e but even 1e would make this difficult. See sin-eaters don't die well. When they die they lose either a dot of their power stat or in 1e their morality, then they come back from the dead, likely quite pissed. They also have considerable power, aside from a few various combat abilities that with enough plasm can become quite dangerous sin eaters can unleash their geist which cuts off their power but is a minor to moderate level god of death and is able to lay down a serious beating on anything threatening their sin eater, 1e sin eaters don't have this option but rushed design caused alot of their powers to be quite combat focused and rather varied letting them go toe-to-toe with anything short of a werewolf.

    Sin eaters are scary, think ghost rider or talion from shadow of mordor. They fall in with vampires and werewolves in that they are horror movie monsters as protagonist, they aren't as necessarily hostile as those groups but they are just as frightening to the layman. For something like this you might want a mortals game drawing on sin eater antagonists and ceremonies. On storyteller vault there are two books called second sight:3rd eye and crossing the veil which give much more tame powers for those with an interest in fighting off the dead... with one exception.

    The underworld in geist, especially 2e's more detailed underworld is terrifying, particularly the dead dominions but pretty much anywhere is a cause for concern. Regaining power is tricky, enemies or innocents desperate enough to be enemies are common. The very geography is a hostile maze filled with insane monsters. It's like silent hill in the underdark. If your players are trapped deep in the underworld with no clear exit than it's anyone's game and there are fouler things than their geist roaming in the deep places in the world. This is a perfect place to make your game into a survival horror if that's the route you wish to go.
    Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 12-22-2018, 06:11 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      The first idea that comes up to my mind is a geist that find himself in a deep HOSTILE underworld domain, searching for a way out
      Or he could be in search of someone, or something in a remote underworld realm
      Last edited by Neos01; 12-22-2018, 06:42 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Darkfoxdev View Post
        Yes...and no. Aesthetically and thematically yes but the character's abilities would make this difficult. Imma assume 2e but even 1e would make this difficult. See sin-eaters don't die well. When they die they lose either a dot of their power stat or in 1e their morality, then they come back from the dead, likely quite pissed. They also have considerable power, aside from a few various combat abilities that with enough plasm can become quite dangerous sin eaters can unleash their geist which cuts off their power but is a minor to moderate level god of death and is able to lay down a serious beating on anything threatening their sin eater, 1e sin eaters don't have this option but rushed design caused alot of their powers to be quite combat focused and rather varied letting them go toe-to-toe with anything short of a werewolf.

        Sin eaters are scary, think ghost rider or talion from shadow of mordor. They fall in with vampires and werewolves in that they are horror movie monsters as protagonist, they aren't as necessarily hostile as those groups but they are just as frightening to the layman. For something like this you might want a mortals game drawing on sin eater antagonists and ceremonies. On storyteller vault there are two books called second sight:3rd eye and crossing the veil which give much more tame powers for those with an interest in fighting off the dead... with one exception.

        The underworld in geist, especially 2e's more detailed underworld is terrifying, particularly the dead dominions but pretty much anywhere is a cause for concern. Regaining power is tricky, enemies or innocents desperate enough to be enemies are common. The very geography is a hostile maze filled with insane monsters. It's like silent hill in the underdark. If your players are trapped deep in the underworld with no clear exit than it's anyone's game and there are fouler things than their geist roaming in the deep places in the world. This is a perfect place to make your game into a survival horror if that's the route you wish to go.

        So a Sin Eater traveling to a haunted town/village like in Fatal Frame won't work well as a survival horror?

        Comment


        • #5
          If the character in Fatal Frame was a Sin-Eater they would have been able to trounce every ghost they came across (if they wanted to) or otherwise deal with them.

          Sin-Eaters are powerful, if you want to do survival horror with them, you need something more substantial than ghosts, who tend towards being weaker threats. Reapers, Chthonians, Dead Domains, etc.

          Comment


          • #6
            aren't only the most powerful ghosts a match for a sin eater?

            Comment


            • #7
              Any ghost above rank 2 (scary to a normal person but all but the most hostile are a step down from a supernatural) is a geist... and yeah those could be seriously dangerous, especially if it's 1 sin-eater and not several. In 2e reapers and geists working in concert can actually abduct an area open to ghosts to the underworld, not small locations either, the increments are in city blocks. You could easily have a group of tyrannical reapers abduct a neighborhood up to a small town. Likewise in the underworld ghosts have fewer limits. If you wanted to do Fatal Frame that would be the way to go.
              The big danger a group of sin eaters (and for that matter ghosts) run into is attrition, they can poor a ton of plasm (or essence) into their powers but regaining it is tricky (without ectophagia being involved and most sin eaters aren't that sick or desperate... usually). Trying to save a community dragged to the great below from hostile ghosts could easily be an entire chronicle. You would even have time to build up the final antagonists since abducting a large region would be very draining so they'd need to to recuperate during which you can lay out the setting and the players can mobilize.
              It should be noted that all but the weakest ghosts in this setting are lucid and chronicles of darkness doesn't really have Spectres from wraith. Most of them won't be indiscriminately violent unless they are very violent geists or they are being controlled in some way. Most violent ghosts are just desperate and angry, particularly violent people don't even leave ghosts that often.

              If you'd prefer something more like Fatal Frame than I only recommend Geist for it's antagonists and the underworld. Run a game of mortal mediums, let them take the medium merit for free or give them a relic like the camera obscura. Check out the other books I mentioned for more lower tier powers that pose less of a direct threat to your enemies, stuff like astral projection or warding, meaning their best bet will be to abjure, exorcise and study their enemies to learn it's weaknesses. Sin eaters in the normal world would only be survival horror in the resident evil "now I have a machine gun HO HO HO" kind of a way
              Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 12-23-2018, 12:25 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                oh ok. I tend to forget that ghost are only harmless in the relative fashion that there so many of them, many of which are extremely weak. so a giest is simply a ghost above rank 3 now? not some old, spirit fused ghost?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  oh ok. I tend to forget that ghost are only harmless in the relative fashion that there so many of them, many of which are extremely weak. so a giest is simply a ghost above rank 3 now? not some old, spirit fused ghost?
                  Eh the nature of a ghost changes when they become a geist, becoming more of an archetypal specter of some form of death. For example Linda the girl who drowned would be rank 2, in order to become rank 3 she would need to become a geist by drinking from a river, doing so will turn her into the Drowned Maiden who would have the deep waters key she/it may treat as an influence and will lose most of her sense of humanity.
                  Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 12-22-2018, 10:59 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it's that simple to become a giest? granted ghost are barely sentient but still

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                      it's that simple to become a giest? granted ghost are barely sentient but still
                      Rank 1: barely sentient, Rank 2: fully lucid and sane though they have issues with any form of personal growth

                      And drinking from a river might destroy them. 10-integrity aggravated damage for one rank increase. Likewise Geists have a chance die on all social rolls not based around intimidation and trying to recover what few memories and remnants of humanity they have is a major mechanic.

                      Ghosts are all about clinging to life and the rivers are, in many senses the opposite, the power of the underworld distilled into an almost literal embodiment of entropy, it destroys any anchors the ghost may have had and erases their identity. Drinking from one, even if they know what can happen, isn't something any ghost will want to do.
                      Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 12-22-2018, 11:18 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        oh, so surviving such an ordeal (ordeal for a ghost, anyway) is what makes a giest

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X