2019 Kickstarter schedule speculation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Kickstarter schedule speculation

Hi everyone! With the new year almost a month in, and the successful completion of the They Came From Beneath the Sea! Kickstarter, and the announcement of the Lunars Exalted 3rd edition kickstarter, I thought I'd be fun to go through a possible schedule of kickstarters this year and see what everyone's guesses are. As we all know Onyxpath does not give estimated end dates for its books or longterm schedule announcements about exact Kickstarter order as part of a very responsible policy to avoid disappointing fans and customers in the event of unforseen schedule changes. That said, it's still fun to guess!
    My predictions for 2019 Kickstarters:
    Feb 12, 2019: Lunars: announced on this past Monday Meetings post
    Early Apr 2019: Hunter the Vigil 2E (as the KS art has been in the works for a some weeks now and is further along than the Contgaion Chronicles art, which has just now been contracted. Plus, both it and Lunars are on the Development phase, so I don't see that as necessarily being a cause for slow down. 2/5/19: Monday Meetings says the HtV2's final KS art is coming in)
    Mid - May 2019: Contagion Chronicles (KS art has been contracted and it's actually further along in the development phases than either Lunars or HtV2e)
    Late June 2019: Trinity Aberrant
    August 2019: Not sure (Deviant the Renegades, Pirates of Pugmire, Mummy the Curse 2E, or Scion: Demigod are all further along (Deviant most; demigod and mummy least) than the Dragon or Mythos)
    Late Sept 2019: Scion: Dragon (today's announcement said KickstarterS - plural - aimed at late 2019, but not on the Monday Meeting's list of in progress yet)
    Early Nov 2019: Scion: Mythos of Chthulu (today's announcement said KickstarterS - plural - aimed at late 2019, but not on the Monday Meeting's list of in progress yet)
    Last edited by Robert D; 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM.

I'd put my bets on this order:

Lunars
    Contagion
    Trinity
    Hunter
    Dragon
    Deviant
    Mythos

I still feel like Contagion is going to Kickstart before Hunter because it is further along. I also expect that the Scion and Chronicles Kickstarters will be staggered so as not to drain people's wallets too much. I could be completely wrong though.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      I still feel like Contagion is going to Kickstart before Hunter because it is further along. I also expect that the Scion and Chronicles Kickstarters will be staggered so as not to drain people's wallets too much. I could be completely wrong though.
      The reason why I paused at this notion was the fact that Hunter's KS art was even approved in the first place at an earlier stage compared to Contagion.

Why would it be unless if it was at a stage that they were confident would be ready to go for KS sooner rather then later?

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

The reason why I paused at this notion was the fact that Hunter's KS art was even approved in the first place at an earlier stage compared to Contagion.

Why would it be unless if it was at a stage that they were confident would be ready to go for KS sooner rather then later?
        That is true. In fact, its the only thing making me second guess if Contagion will be first.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Another factor playing into this is the new Onyx Path Publishing KS account (you'll note that up till now the KSes have been through Rich's account). If the Scarred Lands 5e Creature Collection KS works out, I'd expect to see some of the projects in the list shifted over to the Onyx Path account, so we end up getting some overlap in KSes.
          Last edited by marin; 01-30-2019, 05:14 PM.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
            Another factor playing into this is the new Onyx Path Publishing KS account (you'll note that up till now the KSes have been through Rich's account). If the Scarred Lands 5e Creature Collection KS works out, I'd expect to see some of the projects in the list shifted over to the Onyx Path account, so we end up getting some overlap in KSes.
            I think I missed the announcement about the new KS account. Is it up and running already?

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              I'd put my bets on this order:

Lunars
              Contagion
              Trinity
              Hunter
              Dragon
              Deviant
              Mythos

My only concern about this is a possible situation like Dark Eras had (and Beast's Kinship Nightmares to a lesser extent), where the book came out so far in advance of some of the cores that the mechanics were hard if not impossible to adapt (see the Courts from Dark Eras which make mention of the Goblin Vow and Approaches in their Mantles - you could adapt Goblin Vow since the 1e merit was fairly and intentionally light on mechanics, but the Approaches thing is far harder and may have to be replaced outright) or reference concepts that may not exist in the new game (see the Geist kinship merits in Beast for the biggest problem there). Of course, there's going to be SOME possibility of that - Deviant also won't be out, and Mummy 2E is appearing to be more likely for 2020 and may have some differences - but it is still a bit of a concern to have it come out before Hunter does.

My negativity aside (it's been a long day for me. Long month, actually, And since this month is also technically the entire year....):

I really am fine with getting Contagion Chronicle like yes please.

I am running a crossover CoD LARP with mortals, Vampires, Changelings, Werewolves, Mages, and Beasts (and some elements of Demon thrown in for good measure, though not playable Unchained), and while that is nowhere near as difficult as, say, running a crossover WoD LARP in the MET system days where you had rules that didn't even line up, it still would be helpful to see some more cross-splat interaction rules and ideas spelled out, if not for the current chronicle I am running then possibly for ones in the future. Also, the ideas we've seen so far are SWEET.

And though I want my sweet sweet 2E Vigil rules (especially after I saw the idea for Infernal Visions in the playtest...), I don't quite need that fix as badly since they got a partial translation in the form of Mortal Remains and Tooth and Nail, and work well enough (though I do hope the Statuses have benefits at every level like MCI and the 2E Mantles did... dead levels are an irritant to me in any system).

Honestly, I'm most excited for Deviant of them all. So the longer I have to wait for THAT, the harder it will hurt. But still... more content is generally better than less, and I'm excited for this year (at least as far as gaming goes).

---

Side question actually - any predictions on Mummy 2E? It's still in First Draft for now, so it probably will be a while yet, but just wondering if anyone has any guesses on if it'll hit early or late next year.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
                My only concern about this is a possible situation like Dark Eras had (and Beast's Kinship Nightmares to a lesser extent), where the book came out so far in advance of some of the cores that the mechanics were hard if not impossible to adapt (see the Courts from Dark Eras which make mention of the Goblin Vow and Approaches in their Mantles - you could adapt Goblin Vow since the 1e merit was fairly and intentionally light on mechanics, but the Approaches thing is far harder and may have to be replaced outright) or reference concepts that may not exist in the new game (see the Geist kinship merits in Beast for the biggest problem there). Of course, there's going to be SOME possibility of that - Deviant also won't be out, and Mummy 2E is appearing to be more likely for 2020 and may have some differences - but it is still a bit of a concern to have it come out before Hunter does.
                That's already been addressed.

The Gentleman Gamer has confirmed that the Contagion Chronicle will be using all of the 2e versions and rulesets for all the splats. Presumably there's no danger of the MtC2e rules being suddenly thrown out and rewritten as they are right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert D View Post
                  I think I missed the announcement about the new KS account. Is it up and running already?
                  Rich brings up the new KS account in this week's Monday Meeting. It's going to kick off with the SL 5e Creature Collection KS.

Originally posted by Rich Thomas
                  Finally, we’re trying a new thing this coming year, as even with James, we’re hard-pressed to run all the Kickstarter campaigns we’d like to – that we think would be good for the projects we’re making. Our friends and Handiwork Games will be creating the Scarred Lands 5e Creature Collection and then running its Kickstarter on a new Onyx Path Publishing Kickstarter account. If this works out, we’ll have more flexibility on which KSs happen when, and we’ll look at how things go and maybe we’ll have more of our projects KS’d by other folks.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

The Gentleman Gamer has confirmed that the Contagion Chronicle will be using all of the 2e versions and rulesets for all the splats. Presumably there's no danger of the MtC2e rules being suddenly thrown out and rewritten as they are right now...
                    +1

We're making sure the rules in Contagion (and Dark Eras 2) cater to 2e for all game lines.

Matthew Dawkins
                    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

WELP.

Bring it on then. I no longer have any fears or concerns.

I am, I believe the phrase is, down with the sickness.

Comment

Hunter 2E is at the "Finals for KS coming in" in the Art Direction section!! It will be next on the 2019 list of Kickstarters I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert D View Post
                          Hunter 2E is at the "Finals for KS coming in" in the Art Direction section!! It will be next on the 2019 list of Kickstarters I believe.
                          ... Or Contagion Chronicle. Still, both KS can be next after Lunars - and I will be more than happy!

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

... Or Contagion Chronicle. Still, both KS can be next after Lunars - and I will be more than happy!
                            I am in Agreement

Comment

Working...
                            X