Weird Crossover Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Crossover Ideas

A habit I picked up from Spacebattles was a love of setting crossovers and fusion fics. I figure I might as well evangelize some weird ideas I've had crossing over the Chronicles of Darkness setting and metaphysics with other bits of fiction:

Destiny: For all its protestations, the Destiny universe has a pretty dark underpinning and has the potential for some real occult drama about how far is too far and discovering hidden mysteries in the shadow of a much larger cosmic conflict. The Traveler never showed up to Earth in this universe on its own; rather, a group of supernatural beings accidentally discovered the Darkness by having adhered to its philosophy so tightly that it started responding to them. Earth was nearly conquered by the Dark Union and humanity made into a second Hive, except some defectors found a way to make the Darkness listen to them rather than the other way around and threw out a distress flare that drew the Traveler to pacify the Union and lead the human race and all its derivatives into a true Golden Age to the extent it was possible - until the Darkness and its servants came to collect the old debts. Humanity survived, but now the Traveler sits, comatose, over the Last City, a barely functioning mess of a state filled with competing factions of supernatural derivatives, Twilight cults who seek to use the Dark to serve the Light, and the people who hunt them attempting to get a larger slice of the pie in deciding what form the recovered humanity will take as the Guardians attempt to maintain order from their vaunted Tower. And even now, the minions of Darkness fly in to claim the Traveler for themselves as the remnants of the Union scheme to remake humanity in their image once again...

Final Fantasy: Because "Seers of the Throne" is a name just brings to image FF style villains decked out in magitech and with a "warped holiness" theme, doesn't it? I don't even think you even need to change the cosmology that much, just have the magic more blatant and flashy. We even have an end boss associated with the Seers, the Arkhitekton from Night Horrors, one who builds her own final dungeon.

Mecha in General: Because giant robots, that's why! I don't care how it happens, maybe the God-Machine had a nerdgasm and decided giant robots powered and made possible by arcane energies should be a thing.

EDIT: Forgot to add: Got any of your own?
    Last edited by Leliel; 02-03-2019, 05:38 PM.

Also, just realized something:

Light vs. Darkness is a lot like Elpis vs. Flux. One acts with a purpose, the other throws out new things and lets them fight it out so that one proves superior.

Comment

Well, clearly, Old World of Darkness.

Probably not a good idea, but it might be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalzky View Post
        Well, clearly, Old World of Darkness.

Probably not a good idea, but it might be fun.
        You'd be suprised: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...ssions.392895/

Also, I just realized any CofD space opera that embraces its weirdness is going to resemble Sunless Skies; the Blue Kingdom could be considered a Space Age Underworld.

The Tales series might also be good inspiration for a fantasy shard, albeit one that wears its darkness on its sleeve rather than dropping just how rotted the world is at the end of the first act. Also there are worse places to mine villains from.

Comment

CofD is great for crossovers. I think at this point, the only ones I own that I haven’t used for a crossover at some point are Cavaliers of Mars and Kobolds Ate My Baby.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
          Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
          Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
            CofD is great for crossovers. I think at this point, the only ones I own that I haven’t used for a crossover at some point are Cavaliers of Mars and Kobolds Ate My Baby.

Really? What have you used?

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Really? What have you used?
              My current game began as a mashup of Exalted and Changeling: The Lost, quickly drawing in the rest of the CofD. Fast forward one apocalypse later, and as they struggle to rebuild, my wife’s character discovers an object belonging to another world, launching a reality-hopping journey through the multiverse. Do I create my own worlds? Sure. But I wasn’t about to let that opportunity pass. Other rpgs make such great alternate realities. The old World of Darkness birthed several, allowing her to pick up new traveling companions. Headcase from Apocalypse is one of the more notable examples from WoD, but her tendency to “pick up strays” as her companions call it becomes a noticeable trait. After discovering a plot by the God-Machine of one world to merge all realities into one, she set out to fight it and preserve the autonomy of all realities. She befriends a few Demon Princes in an In Nomine world. She discovers the difficulty of leaving a Dungeons & Dragons world without first completing an epic quest, regardless of whether that world seems fantastic or modern. She sheds a little light on the world of curse the darkness. She has a lot of fun dealing with Scion worlds, and if her antics earned her the title, Queen of the Tricksters, she certainly won’t object. Dealing with the Computer in Paranoia had been a trying experience. By the time she reaches Pugmire, she’s seen so much weird shit that she doesn’t even bat an eye at animal people. While she has yet to formally join the future setting of Trinity: Aeon, she has passed through the core Trinity world, and I’ve used the psychic abilities of Aeon to reflect psychic abilities in worlds of my own creation. This doesn’t even address the pop culture settings from tv, books, and movies she runs into. Having become pretty much omnipotent at this point, she now prefers to cultivate each world’s own heroes to right the wrongs, but she’s still a faerie, so those crossing her should be wary. Yes, this game is completely gonzo, but it’s certainly been interesting.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
              Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
              Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

My current game began as a mashup of Exalted and Changeling: The Lost, quickly drawing in the rest of the CofD. Fast forward one apocalypse later, and as they struggle to rebuild, my wife’s character discovers an object belonging to another world, launching a reality-hopping journey through the multiverse. Do I create my own worlds? Sure. But I wasn’t about to let that opportunity pass. Other rpgs make such great alternate realities. The old World of Darkness birthed several, allowing her to pick up new traveling companions. Headcase from Apocalypse is one of the more notable examples from WoD, but her tendency to “pick up strays” as her companions call it becomes a noticeable trait. After discovering a plot by the God-Machine of one world to merge all realities into one, she set out to fight it and preserve the autonomy of all realities. She befriends a few Demon Princes in an In Nomine world. She discovers the difficulty of leaving a Dungeons & Dragons world without first completing an epic quest, regardless of whether that world seems fantastic or modern. She sheds a little light on the world of curse the darkness. She has a lot of fun dealing with Scion worlds, and if her antics earned her the title, Queen of the Tricksters, she certainly won’t object. Dealing with the Computer in Paranoia had been a trying experience. By the time she reaches Pugmire, she’s seen so much weird shit that she doesn’t even bat an eye at animal people. While she has yet to formally join the future setting of Trinity: Aeon, she has passed through the core Trinity world, and I’ve used the psychic abilities of Aeon to reflect psychic abilities in worlds of my own creation. This doesn’t even address the pop culture settings from tv, books, and movies she runs into. Having become pretty much omnipotent at this point, she now prefers to cultivate each world’s own heroes to right the wrongs, but she’s still a faerie, so those crossing her should be wary. Yes, this game is completely gonzo, but it’s certainly been interesting.
                This thread was worth it, just for that post.

Though after playing a bit of Tales of Berseria, I'm wondering what kind of Mystic Artes typical CofD splats would have.

Hm...

Vampire: Unhallowed Thirst (guess why)

Pure Werewolf: Soft Rains (as in, There Will Come Soft Rains, a poem about nature reclaiming the world from a humanity destroyed by violence)

Guardian of the Veil: Philosopher's Rebuke (I'll give you three more guesses)

Centimanus: Helix Ripper (DNA damage, a source of mutation)

Summer Courtier: Scarlet Sun (I ran out of ideas)

Comment

How about...

The World Before
                  - It was an age of wonders, an age of magic, an age of sorrows, a time of exaltation. The First Age of Creation was a time of wonder as those blessed by the Sun triumphed over the Primordial gods of old and created a lush beautiful world of magic and technology.
                  - Over the nearly 3600 years of their rule those blessed by the sun who ruled this mythical land become decadent, spiteful and tyrannical. Against their rule came a rebellion, as those blessed by the stars and the elements rose up and pulled down the tyrants.
                  - A 750 year interregnum occured as petty warlords, powerful lesser gods, greater spirits and other things ravaged across the land, eating at the edges of Creation itself.
                  - A woman known as the Scarlet Empress asserted her rule and forged the Realm, an empire that revived hope for a return to the glory, hope and golden times of the First Age.
                  - For almost 800 years the Realm ruled over a large part of Creation, its reach touching every corner, till in its 765th year its immortal Scarlet Empress vanished.
                  - For over a decade the Realm stood firm, ruled by the decadent and powerful royal families, till the empress returned, now a servant of the ancient Primordials re-arisen to take back Creation.
                  - The ensuing war between the Primordials, the Realm and the re-emerged Solar Exalted spread out across all of Creation and resulted in the Sundering, the end of the world as all know it.
                  - Many of the supernatural races note many different reasons as to why the Sundering occurred. The Uratha say it was because their ancestors killed Father Wolf. The Awakened say it was the destruction of the ladder between this world and the supernal. Other groups say other things. The truth is it was all of that. All these acts were brought on by the war in Creation, a war that touched every aspect of Creation itself, a war that brought out the darkness in all, and in the end caused Creation to be sundered into the Fallen World, a pale imitation of what it once was.
                  - Autochthon, the only Primordial god to side with Creation in the original war, sensing the coming end of times, sired a child and laid its egg into Creation as the Sundering occurred. This is the seed that will become the God Machine in the Fallen World.
                  - The Realm and Creation fade into myth and legend. For some its vast lands are remembered as Pangea, for others the magical technology is referenced in books on Atlantis, while still others remember it as Irem and the Nameless Empire. Everyone has fragments of Creation, racial memories of a golden world and age, a time when their kind reigned. All of them are correct, from a certain point of view.
                  - Arcane scholars and historians have debated and theorized that the Sundering caused the Wyld to become the outer realm known as Arcadia, the Raksha becoming the True Fae. They extrapolate from this that the creation of the other outer realms were from the places such as the Underworld, Yu-shan, Malfeas and others. Some Begotten scholars who have researched deep into their kind’s history even posit that the Dark Mother was perhaps one of the last of gods of Creation who managed to survive the Sundering.
                  - Explorers of the outer realms have talked of finding a strange borderland of never ending tunnels of machinery, haunted by strange people who claim to be the descendants of those who once lived in Autochthon. These explorers have told tales of powerful beings of living metal and machinery who prowl this desolate junkyard, searching for a way back into Autochthon itself. Other explorers whisper that Creation itself is still out there in the ether, a vast outer realm, floating serenely in the dark waiting for a time when it might be needed again, at which point it will merge back with the Fallen World, heralding a new golden age.

After the Fall
                  - The universe as we know it starts and our world forms. Memories of the Sundering fade into legend and myth. Survivors of the Sundering flee the newly formed Fallen World to the outer realms while a few drop into deep hibernation in the depths of the earth, awaiting a time when they might flourish again.
                  - Time passes from the early ages of life to the time of dinosaurs, the Age of the Reptiles as it was known, lasting almost 190 million years. Some arcane scholars hypothesize that during the Age of the Reptiles the Dragon Kings somehow managed to escape from the ether and the outer realms, and find their way to the Fallen World. They carved out a new empire and began slowly rebuilding their society and species. The asteroid strike that savaged the world, killing off the dinosaurs, was said to have hit their capital, obliterating all evidence of them and their works. Some posit that it was caused by Autochthon’s child, the God Machine, as a way to pave the world for mammals and eventually mankind. Some scholars and occultists whisper that some of the Dragon Kings survived and the myths and legends we have of reptile or snake people is due to those survivors.

just a thought of blending in Exalted into CoD ...

Comment

Working...
                  X