X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irioth
    started a topic High-powered template combination for fun and profit

High-powered template combination for fun and profit

An OP thought experiment that may be useful to me as inspiration for a game scenario. This is the nWoD version of the scenario. Let's assume one day a godlike entity appears to you and makes you an offer you cannot refuse: you shall be reborn in the nWoD setting with your memories intact as the unholy combination of two or more major supernatural templates, with a few extra special benefits thrown in the package. Valid options for the templates you may choose include vampire, werewolf, mage, sin-eater, promethean, changeling, demon, and beast. Mortal, hunter, or minor templates are not allowed since they are not supernatural enough and mummy is strongly frowned upon since its rebirth life cycle would probably make management of the combination too complex (but if you can suggest a good way to make it work, no problem).

You get five template slots to spend; mage, demon, and mummy (if allowed at all) cost double and you must have at least two templates. You also can spend one slot to buy one extra special benefit after the first free choice (see below). No matter what your choices, you automatically become ageless if one of your template choices would not make you immortal by default. You get to create each of your template choices as if they were nWoD characters (abilities that are common to all nWoD templates are only chosen once, specific supernatural powers are picked separately). You are also free to ignore any canon splat limitation in choosing your own supernatural powers, as if you were your own personal vampire Clan, mage Path, and so on. Your hybridization is successful even if the combination wouldn't make sense or should be self destructive. You keep access to all relevant stats for each template, and retain all pools separately.

You choose one of the following special benefits for free (and can pick a second one by sacrificing one of your template slots): 1) you gain a substantial amount of extra Xp to be distributed among your templates as your prefer, roughly equivalent to a vampire elder. 2) All the power pools that power your templates' supernatural powers now naturally regenerate. Your pools shall fully recharge once per day by performing a quick ritual, or once per hour by spending an equivalent time into meditation. 3) You become much harder to damage with physical attacks than you would otherwise be and any supernatural weaknesses you have because of your templates are lessened in intensity, causing pain instead of physical damage or crippling agony, or being downgraded to the most similar mundane source of damage. Paradox cannot cause bodily damage or long-lasting physical transformations to you. 4) Your sanity and sense of identity become stronger, more resilient, and more flexible than it would otherwise be. Only the most inhumane actions, severest traumas, and most extreme violations of your templates' Morality meters can even dent your psyche. You become immune to anything that would inspire supernatural confusion, insanity, rage, or fear, and cannot devolve into a mindless bestial creature, or forget about your supernatural existence.

You shall suffer no drawback because of your innatural existence, apart from getting several supernatural factions and organizations hell-bent on destroying you, enslaving you, or making you subject to ruthless experiments in order to discover the secret of your power.
    Last edited by Irioth; 02-03-2019, 08:13 PM.

• Gallus
    replied
    Do Purified count as a minor template? If not, they are definitely a top pick.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Hi, thanks to everybody for the help. With your suggestions and the ones in the oWoD sister thread, I was able to complete my nWoD/oWoD Jump builds. Here is the result for the nWoD, posted for anyone interested to know what this was all about. It seems in comparison to the original post, I was far too cautious about my estimations for the Jump character point budget. I was actually able to rack an OP 4700 CP budget, thanks to a combo of basic allowance, in-setting drawbacks, and Chain drawbacks (stuff that applies to every Jump).

Omnibus New World of Darkness

Apparent Age: 18 (0).

Origin:

You may freely choose any place and time on Earth from the Neolithic onwards in which to start your time here, but nowhere is safe. You may freely set your biological sex and apparent age to any you choose. Additionally, you must purchase one of the following Origins. All of them come with the standard 7 Merit Points and the standard number of dots in skills and stats but you may ignore normal Chargen distribution (1 dot is your base stat coming in). You are free to take up to four Flaws, gaining 50 EXP for each taken. All Flaws are counted as Drawbacks and expire at the end of your time here. Under no circumstances may a power reach 10 dots during this jump. While nWoD doesn’t really give guidelines for powers higher than five dots, it’s known they exist, if only in theory. If you do not boost a power past 5 dots using purchased Exp, it cannot be raised higher than 5 through training. If a power is not boosted to 9 dots using purchased EXP, it cannot ever reach 10 dots.

Methuselah (800). (This is sweet; it means being 1000+ years old, getting +600 exp., and spending 200 years in the world; my character was already going to spend a whole mortal lifetime in the setting anyway, due to Chain drawbacks).

Types:

You will start your life here in a new alt-form with a new past roughly on par with a new PC of the Type you select (including attributes, abilities, backgrounds, disciplines/gifts/spheres/etc., merits, etc.) modified by your Origin choice.

Psychic (0). (This is free, and psychic powers may synergize well with certain templates).

Kindred (200). (Mostly picked for inherent immortality and certain Disciplines).

Uratha (200). (Mostly picked for the inherent advantages such as easy regeneration; not going to invest many points in splat powers but the normal allowance since they are exp. guzzlers).

Awakened (800). (Mages are the best for versatility and overall power level/potential).

Changeling (200). (Several Contracts are very good).

Beast (200). (Many Atavisms are awesome and beasts are custom-fitted for crossover chronicles).

Abomination (300). (You may be an hybrid of several different supernatural types. The hybridization is successful even the combination would not make sense or should be self-destructive. You keep access to all relevant stats for each template, and retain all pools separately).

(Other available type options I did not use include mortal, other minor templates, hunter, sin-eater, promethean, arisen, demon, genius, leviathan, and princess).

Perks:

Soundtrack of Darkness (0). (You get your own personal soundtrack of 2000's and 2010’s dark and edgy music, which can be made audible to yourself alone, everyone, or just specific people).

It Can’t Rain All the Time (0). (Mandatory. The environment takes a Goth-Punk-Techno cold, isolating, and oppressive look and feel).

Strangeness (0). (All manners of strangeness suffuse the world).

Meritorious Conduct (x10) (1000). (You gain 3 MP. Unlike standard MP, these can be used to put a dot anywhere, not just for Merits. Anything boosted with these MP is considered to have been raised via Experience if it matters. Alternatively, you may buy this to gain 15 EXP. Either way, this can be purchased multiple times).

Strange Radar (100). (You can sense the presence and type of supernatural creatures, by scent, sight, or just an odd tingle. It works through illusions, disguises, and invisibility).

Insanity Defense (200). You are immune to anything that would cause insanity, or supernatural confusion or fear).

Staunch Humanity (200). (Your sense of your own humanity (or basic sense of identity at least) is stronger, more resilient, and more flexible than it otherwise would be. Only the most inhumane and extreme actions can even dent it).

Soaking Up the Damage (200). (You are much harder to damage with physical attacks than you otherwise would be and any supernatural weaknesses you have are lessened in intensity.Sunlight would merely weaken a vampire drastically, silver would be merely painful to a werewolf instead of causing agony, etc.).

Refreshing (300). (All the power pools that power your types’ supernatural powers (Essence, Mana, Blood, Pyros, etc.) now naturally regenerate. Your pools will fully recharge in ten minutes. No more neck sucking for you).

Drawbacks:

(My Chain Drawbacks mandate I take a full 1200 CP slate of native Drawbacks for this Jump).

Old Hatreds (+100). (This guarantees animosities between the various factions and types in the WoD are at full strength).

Cliches Abound (+100). (You cannot help but acting like a clichéd version of whatever transhuman monstrosity you have become. I guess for abominations, this means alternating between RPing the clichés of your various types, or combining them, as appropriate).

A Game for Children (+200). (Everyone acts no older than the mental age of 22. This doesn’t mean everyone just stops aging at 22… 22 is the new 80. The vast majority of the adult population acts like they’re 12-16. For an additional +200, everyone is actually in that physical age range. Look forward to seeing a lot of dead kids and kids acting like freaking creepy murderhobos. I actually do not fancy modern infantilization of teens, and I rather prefer to deem them much closer to adults than to little children in terms of nature, capabilties, and responsibilties. So a population of perpetual adolescents does not bother me overmuch. I assume this version of the WoD would not be much different in practice from the many examples of the Adults Are Useless/There Are No Adults tropes in manga/anime stories, albeit of the darker variety).

So Edgy (+200). (Everyone in the world now acts like a raging edgelord. Vampires are extra moody, Werewolves extra ragey, Mages act like chuuni, and everyone wears a trenchcoat all the time. For an additional +200, everyone acts like they’re larpers, including dressing like it).

Open Hostility (+200). (One faction from one of the various types has something against you. They don’t like your face and plan to smush it in. Repeatedly. Until it sticks. This could be the entire The Lancea et Sanctum, or the Seers of the Throne, or the Pure, or any other major faction. If you pick a smaller faction, they will dedicate more resources and time to your extermination. Can be bought up to 4 times.).

Plus a choice between a few options I’m uncertain about:

A) +A Game for Children (+200). +So Edgy (+200).

B) +Open Hostility (x2) (+400).

C) By Candlelight (+100). (Everything will be lit by candles and full of smoke or mist or fog. Don’t expect to ever be in bright light or be able to hear things clearly). The Dawn that Doesn’t Come (+300). (There is no dawn in this world, no daytime. If you are a Vampire, you can never rest. If not… things are grimmer and there are things in the darkness. I suppose ecology is somehow supernaturally kept from collapsing).

D) Seriously Bad Juju (+400). (Your powers from this jump have come at a price. To get them, you’ve made a deal with the powers of darkness and if you don’t act like a monster, they’ll come to collect… and they will be able to collect. I have no real trouble RPing evil characters, so this is no big hassle to me).

Optional:

+Meritorious Conduct (x10) (1000).

It’s the End of the World (+1000). (This dooms the world to suffer some kind of apocalyptic fate you cannot stop, something that meaningfully threatens you. It happens within six years of you entering the setting. While I suppose my PC avatar could survive the end of the world w/o excessive trouble thanks to my powers, and the extra CP are tempting, I am not sure I want the hassle of spending a lifetime in a Mad Max setting).
    Last edited by Irioth; 02-20-2019, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessKng
    replied
    Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
    Okay, I've given this some thought and I think a pretty good character here.

I'd start with Vampire, probably Gangrel though maybe Deava. Start him off in the Victorian era, maybe as a poor punk who made his way into the wealthy aristocracy with wit and charm, give him a bunch of Vigor and maybe some Protean body horror devotions (because who doesn't love some body horror!). Anyway, he made a power grab, got carried away and a bunch of hunters took him out, nearly killed him.

Anyway, in the fight he and the hunters sink to the bottom of the ocean, where he's forced to rebuild his body, this gives him the Promethean template Probably a Frankenstein for the cool thematic synergy between vampire feeding and spare limbs, and give him some of the flux based body horror transmutations (after all, he basically gave up being human). Unfortunately the process of rebuilding is difficult and he's knocked into Torpor for like...I dunno, a hundred years.

He's awakened from torpor, literally! The process of getting tossed in time triggers an Acanthus awakening, and he dumps a bunch of dots into Time so he doesn't get ambushed again. Probably 5 dots, time stop being as powerful as it is. But not only that, his strange spiritual state leaves him open for a Geist to bond with his spirit, making him a Sin-Eater as well. Since 2e isn't out yet I don't know what powers he'd take, so we'll leave those off and just dump all the points into making his Geist really fast and strong.

Anyway, after he awakens he recruits bunch of supernaturals and moves to Egypt, but ends up getting offed by some punk high-school kid from Japan.

...and yet. It makes so much sense. Best I had been able to do for Dio was, like, True Brujah from masquerade with a pallet swapped lure of flames.

Bravo, good sir.

EDIT: OK. Time to add some more to my stuff.

Giving it some thought, I think I'm going to go with the Beast/Mage/Vampire first, and focus on that one. May come back to another later, but focusing on one for now.

Options chosen were 1 and 2.
    For Option 1, I'm going to go with this interpretation, just to set a rule: 25 Experiences per template (the minimum for an Elder), a base Power Stat of 5 in each template, and five total specialties (since Specialties get spent before Template). So that's 75 Experiences total in this example, plus Lair, Blood Potency, and Gnosis 5. On one hand this is ridiculous. On the other hand, I have characters approaching 75 Experiences in my LARP (though without the free power stat and only in Template), and I can say that it is ridiculous. But I think that's the intent. I'm also going to go with the idea that you aren't constantly on the run from everyone in your own splats, for one reason or another. Others may still want to experiment on you. Finally, I'm going to argue that you diverge at the step where you add a Template and stay diverged for Merits. Finishing touches brings you back together, though you still get Anchors as appropriate for separate templates. So that's 10 dots in each type for merits, plus 25 Experiences per.

I'm also going to make a small personal twist on this: the PC starts as a Wolfblood, with one Tell (two if they choose to spend three merit dots on the Merit), since none of the templates are themselves Werewolves. I'll set the tell(s) in the Merit section when I get there.

So. First off, stats. In this situation, the PC is based on me in real life. I'm going to make some small edits as I enter this world, but I do want the stats to reflect my base personality and capabilities. So Mentals Primary, Socials Secondary, and Physicals Tertiary. I'll go... Intelligence 4, Wits 2, Resolve 2, Presence 1, Manipulation 3, Composure 2, and we'll edit my Physicals to all be 2.

Skills follow the same priority assignment. For Mentals, I'll do Academics 4, Occult 3, and one dot each in Investigation, Politics, Science, and Computers. For the Physical skills, I'll put one each into Athletics, Firearms, Stealth, and Drive. And for Social... Expression 3, Subterfuge 2, Streetwise 1, and Persuasion 1.
    For my five specialties I'll do these:
    *Academics: Religion
    *Investigation: Research
    *Expression: Poetry, Acting
    *Computers: Troubleshooting.

So that takes care of the basics. I'll do Aspirations out of order at the end. We'll move on to the Templates, starting with Mage.

As before, I'm going to go with Death and Forces as my two primary Arcana, and Life as my Inferior. The Artifact idea is cool, but a bit unreliable (I don't want to depend upon an item that can be stolen, personally, though that is just me). So going to want to use Death as a Life substitute for Body Control, and Forces to provide protection against the sunlight. Probably start Forces 3, Death 2, Fate 1. You start with one order dot for free as well - in my case I'll go Guardian of the Veil. I may do some work with other orders in the future and obtain some further Statuses, but Masque is too good to pass up so easily. So that's a free dot of Status (GoV) and High Speech. For my free trait, I'll drop a dot into Composure. That leaves me to pick up Rotes and Praxi; however, I'll save those till after I spend Experiences, to see where my Arcana may have ended up.

Next up will be the Vampire. Vampires don't get free status, which is a bummer. But I'll eventually take Ordo Dracul Status 1, and work up towards 4 at some point to pick up Twilight Judge. But I'll probably start Carthian, to get "Right of Return" as well. I'm also eyeing Chorister - of all the "soft membership" merits, that one is the only one that lets you take merits from the Covenant explicitly. For now, I'm going to assume that we can only pick the ten core disciplines, Praestantia, and the Covenant benefits - no 1E adaptations or unique 2E disciplines. That's fine... I can pick or develop those up later down the line since I know about them. My three In-Clan Disciplines will be Praestantia, Auspex, and Majesty, as I noted before. I'll put one dot in each for now. My free attribute dot will be.... We'll go Wits for his one.

For Beast, I get a bonus dot of Occult. For Family... I'll go Anakim, I think. Hunger of Secrets. My Atavisms will be Mimir's Wisdom and Eye of Heaven. For Nightmares, I'm going to say I have kinship with myself and take the Vampire "false family" Nightmare from Beast Player's Guide. I'll also take You Cannot Rest, as it's a bit of an issue I'm having right now and it seems like it may make an appropriate fear to become a Nightmare.

Alright... I'll leave this here for now. Merits next time, then XP.
    Last edited by EndlessKng; 02-09-2019, 12:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Okay, I've given this some thought and I think a pretty good character here.

I'd start with Vampire, probably Gangrel though maybe Deava. Start him off in the Victorian era, maybe as a poor punk who made his way into the wealthy aristocracy with wit and charm, give him a bunch of Vigor and maybe some Protean body horror devotions (because who doesn't love some body horror!). Anyway, he made a power grab, got carried away and a bunch of hunters took him out, nearly killed him.

Anyway, in the fight he and the hunters sink to the bottom of the ocean, where he's forced to rebuild his body, this gives him the Promethean template Probably a Frankenstein for the cool thematic synergy between vampire feeding and spare limbs, and give him some of the flux based body horror transmutations (after all, he basically gave up being human). Unfortunately the process of rebuilding is difficult and he's knocked into Torpor for like...I dunno, a hundred years.

He's awakened from torpor, literally! The process of getting tossed in time triggers an Acanthus awakening, and he dumps a bunch of dots into Time so he doesn't get ambushed again. Probably 5 dots, time stop being as powerful as it is. But not only that, his strange spiritual state leaves him open for a Geist to bond with his spirit, making him a Sin-Eater as well. Since 2e isn't out yet I don't know what powers he'd take, so we'll leave those off and just dump all the points into making his Geist really fast and strong.

Anyway, after he awakens he recruits bunch of supernaturals and moves to Egypt, but ends up getting offed by some punk high-school kid from Japan.

Last edited by PenDragon; 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Margul
    replied
    Yeah I would go Mage and Beast also. Honestly the only thing holding mages back tends to be paradox and general squishiness. Having the atavisms can fix that easy. Get special option 2 and the most dangerous part of being a beast (feeding and attracting heros) gets lessened. The way I would play it is my Mage part would focus more on mind magic to help synergize with Beasts in the Primordial Dream. Also This way I can focus on Atavisms and Beast special merits instead of nightmares (which Mind can just mimic anyway).

Leave a comment:

• Gallus
    replied
    Thinking about it, one could always use the Artifact merit for Mage to shore up and kind of weakness another splat may have, making Mage an even stranger pick, especially when paired with Vampire. Just get a second skin/symbiotic style Artifact that protects you from the Sun and other things.

This would make my choice Beast, Mage, Vampire, options 1 and 2. I considered Geist over Beast, but the passive power of Atavisms is too hard to pass up. Relentless Hunter and Unbreakable to start do wonders to boost one's chances to actually survive the CofD. Couple with Celerity and Mage Armor, you wont really have to worry about being killed short of area of effect obliteration.

So, elder vampire xp is at least 25, so:

Beast- Anakim: Extra health birth right; Hunger: Secrets; Atavisms; Relentless Hunter, Unbreakable; Nightmares: Behold, My true form!, Run Away
    Mage- Ruling: Fate, Death; Inferior: Life; Arcana: Fate 3, Death 3; Extra Composure
    Vampire- Mekhet: Blood of the Unwilling bane, extra Wits; Disciplines: Auspex 1, Celerity 1, Obfuscate 1

Merits: Artifact 8, Connected Lair 2, Nest Guardian , Ordo Dracul Status 4, Primordial Cult 2, Resources 5, Safe Place 3, Twilight Judge 3, Vast Lair 1, Well Stocked Lair 3
    Last edited by Gallus; 02-06-2019, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessKng
    replied
    Originally posted by Irioth View Post

I think your assessment is spot-on.
    Apparently got ninja'd by the OP. But glad I was accurate at least.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post

So my read is that all power stats and fuels are separate. You have one pool of Willpower, but, in your examples, you'd be keeping your Satiety, Mana, and Vitae/Aether separate, as well as Lair, Gnosis, and BP/Primum. The board won't let me copy, but it does say that "you keep all relevant traits and pools remain separate."

As for the V/V Analogues, I think that you get any and all unique ones, which does create ways to play you more easily (since Social Maneuvering would have more things to play with - unless you are just a Demon/Mage, and only have a Virtue and Vice), but also gives you more flexibility in pursuing things. You similarly probably would have touchstones for each type as appropriate - though the trait is the same technically, it attaches in different ways and can represent different things since each one ties to a different Integrity.

But that's just my read.
    I think your assessment is spot-on.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessKng
    replied
    Originally posted by Gallus View Post
    Beast, Demon, and Mage, option 2.

Alternative: Beast, Mage, and Vampire, options 2 and 3.

Either way, I should be tough enough not to need tons of EXP off the bat.

Do we get to choose what Virtue/Vice analogue take precedence? Are power traits all separate, or folded into a single trait? Should power polls be folded into a single pool?

So my read is that all power stats and fuels are separate. You have one pool of Willpower, but, in your examples, you'd be keeping your Satiety, Mana, and Vitae/Aether separate, as well as Lair, Gnosis, and BP/Primum. The board won't let me copy, but it does say that "you keep all relevant traits and pools remain separate."

As for the V/V Analogues, I think that you get any and all unique ones, which does create ways to play you more easily (since Social Maneuvering would have more things to play with - unless you are just a Demon/Mage, and only have a Virtue and Vice), but also gives you more flexibility in pursuing things. You similarly probably would have touchstones for each type as appropriate - though the trait is the same technically, it attaches in different ways and can represent different things since each one ties to a different Integrity.

But that's just my read.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Gallus View Post

Do we get to choose what Virtue/Vice analogue take precedence? Are power traits all separate, or folded into a single trait? Should power polls be folded into a single pool?
    1) I suppose so.
    2) All separate.
    3) All separate as well (but all of them regenerate at once if you pick option 2, it is one of the latter's big perks). I suppose there should be ways to shift/convert mystic energy from one power pool to the other, I have not yet given much thought to the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Gallus
    replied
    Beast, Demon, and Mage, option 2.

Alternative: Beast, Mage, and Vampire, options 2 and 3.

Either way, I should be tough enough not to need tons of EXP off the bat.

Last edited by Gallus; 02-05-2019, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessKng
    replied
    Originally posted by Irioth View Post
    EndlessKng's comprehensive analysis of the various options is exactly the kind of guidance I was looking for.
    Well damn. Like... when I said I did a lot of this lately, I mean that this has been a thought in one form or another since November, and I have literally devoted most of my free time to experimenting with this... so that's actually kind of cool. Mind, I have some alternative ideas of how this could play out... but it's a fun thought experiment anyways and I like the challenge of having constraints that I CAN'T arbitrarily change. (Also, if you haven't checked it out, look up John Wick's "The Flux." At one point I think he made it free but it may not be. But given what you described, you might find it interesting - it's a sort of "Meta-RPG" you use alongside other games, where your characters get caught up in reality shifts that take them between different worlds and usually systems... but they can remember and access some of the powers from other games at a price, and with increased difficulty the further back you have to go to get the power in question, and the universe doesn't like rules that are alien to it...).

Gave some more thought to mummy and maybe shouldn't have dismissed it so readily. The various ways I brought up to make it happen are still valid, but the cost-benefit ratio does deserve a little more consideration.

So... the Apotheosis option still doesn't balance well in this equation. Now, in real life, if I were told "You can either continue being you or you can continue being you but also get the powers of a Sekhem 1, Memory 7 mummy with two Pillars at five dots and the ability to buy more," I'm taking that. It's an improvement over being mortal. And some of the Affinities are HELLA useful. But in THIS scenario, it's not worth two of your slots for it. Most of what the Affinities get you you can figure out with magic, save the "Difficulty Number Reduction" aspect (and then you just ritual cast a Potency 10 Quantum Flux on yourself with a month-long Duration and use that to buff the potency on all the rest of your spells (and just... life) without penalty, and you get a similar amount of extra oomph. (You think I'm joking, but this is the foundation for a daisy chain of broken downtime castings in an ongoing campaign that I know about... of course, what's good for the goose is good for the gander and something similar may be coming their way soon...). So in this scenario, this isn't the best use of it (if we were doing a similar game but with Minor Templates, though, it would be a solid two-slot option).

So then there's the second option - just reverse the script. That works well enough and absolutely makes it worth two slots. LostLight did two mummy variants with "count up" power stats, the Vaettir, living sorcerers that focused on Relics and Utterances (and also gave them Influences which may have been a bit much), and a 2E version of the Visitors based on the entry from Dark Eras Companion that made it seem like the Visitors were more than just deluded psuedo-spirits, but rather were time-spanning alien overlords with access to affinities but not Utterances (EDIT: OOPS. Only Vaettir have rising Sekhem. Visitors lack Sekhem completely. Been a while since I read them; I'd been more curious about the Vaettir). Both of those show that the concept COULD work. The story idea could be that the Arisen tried to reincarnate into your body as the sacrifice, only for it to not really take over the way it was supposed to (in the Curse, they do have the option to try to do so if they die and their body doesn't exist anymore, only they get their Memory jacked with a bit as they incorporate the victim's... could just as easily work in reverse). Since you aren't bound to the Descent, you could stop the clock and turn it back. But it is thematically janky, and could be really overpowered - you aren't mean to stay at those high levels for long.

By the rules, though, the last version of events could still be awesome. Most mummies don't like to be disturbed because they want to sleep. But it's entirely possible for one to go to their cult and say "Listen. If I die, come up with something you want me to deal with and call me back here." After a failed merger like I mentioned above (that they don't necessarily real is failed), you could easily cover up any strangeness by saying "It's the new body. Has a bit of a... mind of its own" and watching as your cultists laugh because they don't want you to curse them because the mummy that is now a part of you was both a cruel monster and really bad punster. This version also gives you less reason to worry about "squandering" Sekhem, since your cult know to call you back if you run out.

In either option two or three, your biggest concerns in the Material world are fire and lifeless. Fire can be mitigated in some cases (and already is a bane for half the templates anyways, so odds are good you aren't ADDING anything weaknesswise in that category), but the Lifeless.. those bastards are a problem. You also may or may not have to deal with your judge, though. And that right there is the REAL reason I leave Mummy off the table - unless I know that the Judge I just inherited is willing to let it play out, I do not want to get involved in that.

Looking at the options I wrote originally, I think Option two would be my first choice. Changeling Oath stuff can be a huge problem down the line, but if you're careful you can avoid getting TOO entangled in anything problematic. Option one would be my second choice, but the fact that it forces me to take two Arcana I would rather not focus on right away does that one in overall. That said, I think I'll try building them out to see where we end up in case that changes my mind.

Will start off my building for options one and two first, but won't finish either tonight. Early ideas built around using "me" as the concept for option 2: Probably focusing on Mind, Life, and Fate as I mentioned. Seeming is iffy - still don't get them in 2.0 all that well. I know that Jewels and Crown are my fave regalia, though, so Fairest and Wizened seem likely. Court will depend on local structure, but Spring and Autumn seem possible - Spring if I choose what I want to enjoy and change about life, Autumn to focus on what I'm already good at (and it does provide ways to clear goblin debt and interact with supernaturals... so it's got an interesting edge). As a Beast... not sure about the Family. But I think Secrets would be my Hunger.

In the Option 1 scenario, probably need to make my ruling Death and Forces, with a strong Fate contingent. Would probably pick Life as my Inferior in this case. Sticking to just the "full disciplines" in 2E (no bloodline gifts, just the 10 in the core and Praestantia, but all learnable freely and without tutelage), I would probably go Auspex, Praestantia, and probably Majesty. Beast is likely still secrets-hungry, though. Will probably buy Eye of Heaven, so that I can stack it with Auspex and Mage Sight to read a person thoroughly. As mentioned, would go Ordo to develop Coils of the Ascendant and Zirnitra, and use the latter to pick up all sorts of fun toys.

Will consider further later. For now, bed.
    Last edited by EndlessKng; 02-05-2019, 12:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Well, it is true I tend to be overly fond of this kind of personality-quiz scenario, and one may often be driven to revisit one's preferred stories again and again, but there is a specific reason I felt driven to start this thread (and its sister one in the oWoD forum) this time. I recently got myself involved with Jumpchain CYOAs (for those not in the know, a kind of extended solo game where your universe-hopping avatar experiences many adventures in a lot of different fictional settings of your choice, both generic genres and specific franchises, collecting powers, skills, items, and companions along the way, until the character ultimately transcends as a multiverse-roaming godlike entity). Two of the many Jump scenarioes available are 'omnibus' versions of the nWoD/oWoD settings where playing a high-powered hybrid of various supernatural templates is one main character option. I definitely liked the idea, but I found myself uncertain and creatively challenged about which templates to pick for the combo, so I thought of tapping the collective wisdom of this board for inspiration. EndlessKng's comprehensive analysis of the various options is exactly the kind of guidance I was looking for.

I applied my own adjustments to the scenario to suit my own transhumanist tastes (e.g. mortals, hunters, and minor templates being forbidden as options, and automatic immortality being available regardless of template choice), but I picked certain ideas (with a few tweaks) from the original Jump document, such as mage, demon, and mummy costing more than the other supernatural templates (although the original Jumpchain rules do apply a finer-grain three-digit cost scale to character options) and the broad features of the four special benefits (I left out a few other options that seemed not so interesting, at least for my character-creation purposes, or easy to adapt to WoD rules).
    Last edited by Irioth; 02-05-2019, 03:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    cross templates just dont work, too many mechanics to work with. and a complete mess thematically. the only thing I could see from such a chimera is an extremely twisted Deviant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X