Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, [insert splat here] has conquered the world. Now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, [insert splat here] has conquered the world. Now what?

Bit that came up in my musings;

Let's say characters from a particular bookline, ones fairly representative of their human subspecies at their most amoral, have been declared rulers of the planet or at least a major imperial superpower. The doomsday device went off without a hitch, the leaders of other nations lie prostrate at their feet, the Resistance is crushed for the foreseeable future, and they can have all the back massagers on the new throne they want.

Now the question is: "Now what?" Being Celestial Chairman of Supreme Ruling Council of The Universe is nice and all, but seriously, what's the point in ruling everything if you don't leave a legacy your successors and states born from the inevitable dissolution of your empire will look to one day and go "you know, the High Imperator wasn't entirely bad..."

So, basically, what would be first on the agenda for various supernatural beings after consolidating power over the planet (or hunters)?

Hunters seem obvious. No monsters, ghosts, ephemeral, then no crime, no thoughts of crime, or immorality. Which obviously is going to screw over a lot of people depending on the views of the Celestial Chairman. Ironically it seems like it would fit in with the goal for the Seers of the Throne.

Providing one of the Pure could pull it off, either Pangaea is back, sans membrane, or the Hisil rules (which seems to be the goal of Fire-Touched).
    Last edited by nofather; 02-18-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I would love to see a Dark Shard where the Arisen have taken over the world. It would suck for humanity, but it would be interesting.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

I think this is covered in the Shards book.

Comment

If Vampires take over it would be like a huge Battrey Farm ,with people Being Regular tested for Blood quality,

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            I would love to see a Dark Shard where the Arisen have taken over the world. It would suck for humanity, but it would be interesting.
            Well, it'd suck significantly less than if Pure or the Circle of the Crone were in charge.

Or really, any Beast who feels that the only way to satisfy her Hunger is world domination, because what are the odds that Beast cares enough about the insects she had to crush to get there to moderate it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Well, it'd suck significantly less than if Pure or the Circle of the Crone were in charge.

Or really, any Beast who feels that the only way to satisfy her Hunger is world domination, because what are the odds that Beast cares enough about the insects she had to crush to get there to moderate it?
              Decently good if they want to keep the buffet running. Don't shit where you eat, even if you are a world power unto yourself.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

A world ruled by prometheans would be very warped.

Comment

I imagine in the case of Kindred they'd eventually get bored enough to help facilitate the collapsing empire themselves; I imagine the entertainment of world domination would kind of die off after a century or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                    A world ruled by prometheans would be very warped.
                    Would the most amoral ones be the Centimani or darker refinements like Stannum or the Boyars?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Would the most amoral ones be the Centimani or darker refinements like Stannum or the Boyars?
                      I would think so. If you're a Promethean with imperial ambitions, something tells me you aren't prioritizing the Pilgrimage.

Comment

I'd just see the Sin-Eaters as being incredibly confused as to how this happened.

Comment

So I'm working on a setting similar to this. Not sure which splat, might do several, but the base is: in a single splat world, the splat has publicly taken over at some point in the past. For my sanity's sake, enough events happen the same to have all the sub splats. (Ie, there is a "french revolution" so Carthians are a thing.) Now the question comes in of, when would it make sense for them to take over, and how does society function now?

Some surface level things like banes are banned, so technology has progressed around that. Humans are treated with various levels of care, depending on what they need. The choice sub splats make up the various nations essentially. The ones who are in control are generally the PC's splats, not the antagonists. This is 2E. Here's what I thought up thus far, but I am open to suggestions:

If Vampires are all that exist, I'd imagine they'd build cities in domes, so sunlight has a harder time reaching them. Fire is outlawed, which means that alternate, cleaner energy sources are used. The domes are covered in solar panels, nuclear plants away from prying human eyes, wind farms out in the farmlands where humans grow food for humans. Humans live in terrible conditions, Some are designated bloodbags, so they live better, but sometimes are kept captive. Most labor is done by them, so long as it isn't hazardous, but the poor conditions and lack of OSHA leads to fatalities nonetheless. Ghouls live the best, given a taste of power, and leeching of the privilege of their Blood Bond. Faithful and loyal ghouls are most likely to be embraced. Vampires fair a lot better, able to pursue what they wish. The neophytes are the ones who are in the most danger, going to war against the other covenants. We don't want to teach the slaves how to fight. Embracing is mandatory, but regulated. Need to keep the right balance. Most communities naturally segregate by clan.

If Werewolves are all that exist, Silver is outlawed. Packs are the social structure, everything is in service to the pack. Territory is fought over, battles are waged when humans are hurt by a neighbor pack. Spirits and humans live and work on both sides of the Gauntlet. Technology is anywhere from stone clubs to futuristic, depending on the Iron Masters power in the pack. There are no large cities, humans are the lowest on the totem pole, but still regarded as honored pack members. Lunacy?

If Mages are all that exist, wars are minimal. Humans probably live as they do now, but with a bigger focus on serving the mage's obsessions. The world is united under the diamond, and allied with the free council, the limits of magic are studied. Technology is probably falling behind, as they use magic for their needs. The other realms are home to only mages, mortals are not allowed. Paradoxes?

If Prometheans are all that exist, I see little change. The nature of disquiet means that humanity still needs to be kept at arms length. Rulership is done through anonymity, allowing the promethean to go about among people without their very existence starting a rebellion. Wastelands are monitored, and firestorms have enough warning for there to be an evacuation in time. Refinements are more like religious disciplines for the everyone to follow. Society is broken up into city states, A promethean ruling a large city and the surrounding area and villages. Making more prometheans requires teaching the newly created about how things work. When a promethan dies or becomes human, one of the children will take his place and the rest can continue to work for him, or be given a village to grow into a city state. When a promethean becomes human, he's treated as an important, honored, and revered figure. Never needs to suffer from anything ever again. Any attempts at even touching them could forfeit your life.

If Changelings are all that exist, the world becomes highly militarized. Each court system is their own country. The Hedge is a common way to travel, but ways into arcadia are manned by Cold iron armed humans, keeping the keepers back. Cold Iron is not allowed into the mortal world. Society is strange, different for each freehold, with humans playing roles in these stories. ??

If Hunters are all that exist, the world is at war. After going public, each conspiracy carved out territory and began hunting down any of the monsters that prey upon the living. With the resources, its easier to find and remove, but now that its become a job, even more bureaucracy is about, and things can slip between the cracks, depending on what the conspiracy thinks. There is no privacy among the populous, and the conspiracies are in a tense truce since the need to ally is no more.

If Giests are all that exist, the dead are honored. Ghosts are dealt with quickly, with the ability to move openly and resolve anchors without subtlety. Humans are still in charge, geists just taking up the status of above the law. War, murder, executions, anything that causes death is dealt with harshly, imprisoning people for life. Lesser crimes are overlooked, because its not their fault they steal things. Because of their absolute control and freedom among the humans, they are starting to work on reforming the underworld. Setting up safe havens for ghosts and pushing out those gang bosses. Trying to overthrow those more tyrannical domains. Its a challenge because of how large, dangerous, and stubborn the underworld is and how powerful the denizens are. While they are in Krewes, there isn't much animosity.

If Mummies are all that exist, cults are the true powerhouse. With mummies being asleep for most of the time, the cults are the ones in charge. Sure, the mummies do awaken and try to get the cults back on track, but with the powerhouse mummy at their beck and call, none shall oppose them. Tombs are public and massive, with cities being built around them. The cult is the only way to live, as those who eschew the cult get no benefits from living with them, being treated as less than scum. The cult cements their power, collects relics and sekham infused items. However, when the mummy awakens, and is given their mission by the judge, the cult scrambles to turn their power to the mummy's goal. Displeasing the mummy or their judge has been the downfall of cults, so they try not to allow that to come to pass.

If Demons are all that exist, the God Machine is on the run. Infrastructure is town down, or cut off and used by the demons. Humans mostly live normal lives, with the exception that the knowledge of the god machine and its machinations. Demons make pacts that the humans now know can work, in exchange for cover. Cover is still important because angels are still a massive threat to individual demons, so blending in with humans is the goal, but saying you're a demon gets you past anything your cover can't. However, this is also abused by the mortals, because demons don't have to show their true form.

If Beasts are all that exist, humans live in fear. With no reason to control their urges, humans are just food. But because of their lack of care, Heroes also pop up at an alarming rate. The other creature that infest the primordial dream are also more frequent, so humans mostly form around the beasts are safe monsters, rather than the heroes who will discard them and the other nasties that will kill them.

If Deviants are all that exist, I'm struggling to figure out how to work that in. Should I have the Deviants take over the conspiracies? Have them make more of themselves, essentially making the gameline the same, and renegades break away from the conspiracies even though they are controlled by deviants? Or do I have the conspiracies just open and out there making deviants, turning it into some cyberpunkesque style? Or do the deviants take over, and the conspiracies are on the run, trying to make more deviants for whatever their reasons without getting caught by the new acting government?

Now these are all I have right now. Anyone have any ideas how to flesh these out. I know this is a minor derail, but if I were to make my own thread, I'd just be directed here, so I thought I'd cut out the middle man.
                          Last edited by HunterInTheNight; 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit save.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                            Let's say characters from a particular bookline, ones fairly representative of their human subspecies at their most amoral
                            So in MtA this means Seers have won the war against the Pentacle. (Among amoral mages, Seers are actually far from the worst but they're by far the most likely to succeed due to being organised and comparatively focused on world domination as a goal.)
                            For humans this doesn't mean much when compared to any other splat because the world as it is right now is already in a type of win state for the Seers. Rising up and becoming the overlords of our world is the absolute opposite of what they want, which is to keep us in ignorance of the supernatural and suffering under the influences of the Exarchs. Different types of tyranny (social injustices, fear-mongering, conflicts, etc) will definitely worsen, but how much is difficult to predict because it depends on how much infighting there is between the different Ministries once the Pentacle is out of the picture. The most notable changes might very well be the consequences of whatever desperate last-ditch efforts the Pentacle and their Archmasters performed right before their loss in the war.
                            For non-humans I was going to say that they're not in a good spot since protection of humanity is one of the Seers' objectives, but most non-humans would increase "net tyranny" enough that they shouldn't be targeted as long as they don't risk revealing themselves to humanity. Demons are probably the worst off because Seers cooperate with the God-Machine to some extent.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                            X