Damage from getting hanged?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage from getting hanged?

Hello. I was wondering how much damage a mortal would take if they were to get hanged by the neck with a rope, and whether it would be bashing or lethal? How would you handle it?

Are we talking a "properly" done execution with the point of snapping the neck, or torturing someone to death by waiting for them to die from strangulation?

Comment

As Heavy Arms mentions, a properly-done hanging snaps the neck immediately. It's meant to be quick and relatively painless. So I'd treat it as a Coup de Grace/Killing Blow, doing a large amount of lethal damage automatically, or just outright killing them. (Some things just don't fit well into the bashing/lethal/aggravated system.)

On the other hand, if you do it wrong, it's a slow and painful death from strangulation. If you want to model this mechanically, I'd treat it the same as drowning or suffocation: a point of bashing damage every whatever time interval, which eventually wraps into lethal and then into agg.

But either way, I don't think I'd run this using combat/damage mechanics. Those mechanics are meant for high-stakes fights or battles of attrition. With a hanging, either they're dead within seconds, or they're effectively dead after X amount of time (and can be saved before that). No need to bring health tracks into it.

Comment

There's a few circumstances I can see it coming up in combat time at least where the bashing per turn to lethal to agg might actually matter. A supernatural's ability to fake their death to avoid suspicious and how much it costs them, or the cost of healing the person you're saving impacting your resources to fight and/or other actions before a chance to rest.

But yes, in general, there aren't rules for it because it falls into the "there's no point" as it's a binary choice of a dead person or a injured but alive person depending.

If you wanted to apply something with system precedent, I'd treat a neck snap drop as a terminal velocity fall; dealing 10 lethal instantly. A strangulation type I woulduse the Immobilized and Poisoned Tilts; moderate for normal ropes, and grave for something nasty like razor wire.

Comment

The reason I was asking was because an npc with the ability to regenerate is going to get hanged at some point, and I wanted to know how long it would take them to regenerate from the damage. I generally like involving mechanics even if they aren't strictly necessary, that's just how I am.
          Last edited by Enderdragon1201; 02-26-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Ah, okay. Are they a mortal? If so, I'd say they'd take however much is full agg. If they're something like a vampire, the damage is downgraded: breaking their neck might be full lethal instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
              Ah, okay. Are they a mortal? If so, I'd say they'd take however much is full agg. If they're something like a vampire, the damage is downgraded: breaking their neck might be full lethal instead.

It's actually going to be a crossover with Resident Evil, the one getting hanged has been infected with a special variant of the T-Virus, like Albert Wesker was.

Comment

Working...
              X