[Dark Eras Contagion] Vectors in historical times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras Contagion] Vectors in historical times

So we have first preview on Vectors in Contagion Chronicle. As I plan to use it in Dark Eras settings ( for now, in Byzantine Empire ) I found that even if Authority Vector is cool on general - it's previewed power of *Survillance on first dot is not really working with historical settings. Because what can give you 'automatic password omission' in Western Roman or Byzantine Empire, where those security measures were scarce ( if not existing )? Even more, HOW can historical characters turn off 'specific camera, microphone, computer, or other node in the network' ( from Beasts and Deviants Edge )?

If there is no good answers on those questions - What alternative powers you would advise in place of *Survillance of Authority Vector?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-01-2019, 01:25 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Humm,a fascinating question
    How about a "Language of Kings" power?
    One that let's you automatically know all the right words to say,giving you a social bonus?

Comment

well the theme is that knowledge is power. so how about still calling it surveillance but applying it to a social group/society and being able to know what they know/see what why see/make them doubt or forget it?

Comment

The term for Caesar Cipher originated in Roman times, naturally. Other fun encryption techniques included things like wrapping a leather strap around a rod, writing a message along one length and gibberish along others, then wearing the strap as a belt or what-not, then decrypting it with the key rod at a destination as a way of covertly transporting messages. Then there are smoke signals, speaking in code, carrier pigeons...the practice of encryption, spies, and generally sneakily transferring information around is an ancient one.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
        He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post
          The term for Caesar Cipher originated in Roman times, naturally. Other fun encryption techniques included things like wrapping a leather strap around a rod, writing a message along one length and gibberish along others, then wearing the strap as a belt or what-not, then decrypting it with the key rod at a destination as a way of covertly transporting messages. Then there are smoke signals, speaking in code, carrier pigeons...the practice of encryption, spies, and generally sneakily transferring information around is an ancient one.
          All of this... but also remember that the God-Machine doesn't exactly care about a minor thing like "historical period" or "linear time" when building Infrastructure. It could easily have something like CCTV cameras to be hacked in historical eras.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I would take a more abstract approach to the wording. Surveillance would allow you to read the entire conversation carried out over a series of letters between two monarchs, if you had access to one letter or maybe even the courier's horse. The Beast/Deviant edge would allow you to create blind spots in a guard's patrol or make sure no one looked up at that balcony you're hiding in to spy on the court.

Comment

Florin solution to • Survillance seems to be easy and working for historical settings.

Now I read more Vectors, I have a more questions/problems in using them in Dark Eras settings.

The one I see is with Authority's Vector ••••• The Big Lie. Even in 19th century, newspapers had problem with coming in 24 cycles, not too mention media in earlier ages. I wonder if the duration of The Big Lie should in previous times be something like twice 72 hours cycles, where it's assumed it's more a rumor passed between people than 'mass media attack'. ( Two 72 hours cycles would make it a 6 days power to start circling, in the end. )

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think stretching the news cycle makes sense. Or, you limit it to a smaller geographic area. As they are fond of saying on Letterkenny, "Bad gas travels fast, in a small town." So, I could see keeping the 24 hour cycle but limit it to South London or something.

Comment

Yeah, town criers, gossip, and letter deliverers are still a system of news, so I'd reduce the geographical scale and increase the time scale as measure of how much more potent those telling you the information could be in those days.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Working...
                  X