The Status of the Beast and Promethean Gamelines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Status of the Beast and Promethean Gamelines

Posted this in a Beast thread, but figured that this deserves it's own thread, and because I didn't see a lot of discussion on the matter on the forums.

About a month ago in one of the MMNs, OPP listed a bunch of gamelines that were in active development as of that post, due to them planning out what's going to be in the OPP 2019 Brochure...and both Beast and Promethean were pointedly not one of the listed gamelines. To back it up, there was this exchange in the comments section:

Originally posted by Jeremiah
    I notice Promethean and Beast aren’t being worked on. If you need someone to work on them I’m your guy!
    Originally posted by Eddy Webb
    A generous offer! However, the issue isn’t one of people — we have, at least count, over 200 active freelancers working with us, and we get new submissions every week. There are lots of other reasons why we might decide to let a line rest for a while, some of which we either can’t talk about in public or are out of our control entirely. But just because we haven’t put a book out for a particular line in a while doesn’t mean we won’t come back to it down the road.
    While he didn't get into specific reasons, considering what happened a few weeks prior to that MMN and who the line dev for was Beast and Promethean 2e...I can guess as to one of the reasons why.

So I guess in the meantime, any new, official Beast or Promethean2e content is going to come from stuff like Contagion Chronicle, Dark Eras 2, and that mentioned Dark Mirrors. Or where we'll have to make it ourselves via the ST Vault...

there will be definitly be Beast and Promethean in Contagion and Dark Eras 2. i wasn't aware of Dark Mirrors

Comment

Considering that "normal blue book" CofD isn't on that list either, I'm thinking it's not just the two game-lines that happened to have a particular developer in common (since other lines he was a developer on are on the list too after all).

Promethean never had that many books without feeling like it was left out in the cold. I hope we to get more PtC 2e books, but it never struck me as a line that needs that many books, or suffered under the "limited line" concept from back in the day. Besides updating a few things from 1e... what is PtC really lacking for?

Beast is also in a pretty good spot with supplements. A ST guide could cover almost everything I can think the line "needs."

Considering how much OPP has on their plates right now, I'd put more on the idea that they're letting these things 'rest' because they want to get other things moving. WtF 2e and MtAw 2e are both sorely lacking in support despite having been out for awhile. There's a bunch of 2e conversions that aren't even done their core books yet (and Mummy is going to have some issues to sort out given what happened with its lead). And there's Deviant that's getting worked on. And that's just in the CofD. It feels like a lot of the CofD needs more love right no far more than being worried about the influence of Matt; we have good people around that really care about the lines he worked on, and making them better with more high quality books rather than just abandoning them. They have fans that buy and play them as they are. If I can wait this long for Mage to get it's first 2e supplement? I can accept that things are slow and it's not really a big deal that we aren't seeing new books announced for every line.

Comment

I believe they're available for the Storyteller's Vault if you really want to write something for them.

Comment

oh crap,i just realized Demon:The Descent also is not being worked on. that's a bummer

Comment

It's pretty natural that there's a pause in production. Especially if it happened between books (I recall no Beast or Promethean books being announced before this whole thing). Any drafts by the previous line dev would likely have to be discarded or heavily retooled regardless of circumstances so that OPP doesn't end up using unpaid work.
            Taking time to reflect on and evaluate the direction of the games (especially Beast which deals with themes of abuse) is good, and once a fitting direction and line dev is found I'd guess that they'll start writing or accepting new drafts. For all we know that could already be underway, just that none of them have gotten far enough to warrant an announcement.

Another reason for the holdup could even be that nuWW/Paradox isn't ready to greenlight any new books yet. After all the things and changes they've been through I have no idea what their reaction would be to all this. That would certainly be out of OPP's control, as per Eddy Webb's statement.

All of this is just a bunch of theories, though. Regardless, the tone of the statement and the fact that Beast and Promethean materials are being worked on (just not in dedicated books) certainly implies that they'll resume writing new books within short. (Relatively speaking, of course. This is OPP we're talking about, after all.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
              oh crap,i just realized Demon:The Descent also is not being worked on. that's a bummer
              Personally I feel that's different.

Demon has, for all intents and purposes, a completed gameline. In addition to the corebook we've already got a PG, an STG, a Night Horrors book chock with antagonists, two setting books, and even something extra like the Heirs of Hell book.

There isn't REALLY anymore books needed because there aren't any content holes left to plug. Otherwise the only thing in Demon's future is a new edition...but that's probably not going to be a thing until a CofD3e is being considered.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Demon has, for all intents and purposes, a completed gameline. In addition to the corebook we've already got a PG, an STG, a Night Horrors book chock with antagonists, two setting books, and even something extra like the Heirs of Hell book.

There isn't REALLY anymore books needed because there aren't any content holes left to plug. Otherwise the only thing in Demon's future is a new edition...but that's probably not going to be a thing until a CofD3e is being considered.
                Huh,never looked at it that way

Comment

Sometimes lines go years without books until someone throws a good pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

I will counter that - looking like that, both Beast and Promethean 2E are also, more or less, complete gamelines.

Beast has now: 2E core, Night Horrors book & Player's Guide - only one maybe needed would be BtP Storytellers Guide. And even then I'm really not sure what would be needed to be explored there that was not in Player's Guide.

Promethean has now: 2E core, 2E Night Horrors book & whole 1E gameline run (! i.e. 4 books ) - I do not see even reason for PtC Storytellers Guide now, really. It has all that you need for it to run.

Well, maybe a 'Big List of Athanors' artifacts book for PtC?

Where in Mage 2E we need Signs of Sorcery to make basic 2E mechanics playable. And we need Shunned By the Moon in Werewolf 2E to have mechanics for core antagonists. There is clearly difference in urgency of books between gamelines. ( Gladly, both SoS and SBtM are now 'slowly' finalized... )

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

tasti man stated demon is basically complete (1st edition wise of it) because it had a large amount of books, not just a player/storyteller guide and night horrors, and 2 setting books along Heirs to hell. beast and promethean only have a night horrors for 2nd edition (and beast with a players guide and I suppose primordial feast). compared to that, beast and promethean have hardly anything

Comment

Working...
                      X