Looking for opinions on a noir-era setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for opinions on a noir-era setting

Hi. Im working on a setting for a chronicle based on a crime film noir theme with a twist. Im borrowing a fair amount of ideas from The Edge of Midnight rpg for mood and such. But im looking for some outside opinions on a few things. First is the Computers skill. I'd need to change it or delete it since there were no computers in the late 40s. I was thinking like a machinery skill for operating cranes, forklifts, ect but not sure. Second is the magic themes in the edge of midnight setting. Im leaning towards a cthulhu-like idea that IF i include it its only used by rare villians just to add to the something is wrong feel to the setting. Finally the twist: the world itself is like a purgatory/ravenloft/netherworld place. The characters will be ignorant to this at the beginning but get clues that something is definitely not right. I was wondering how others might handle this kind of twist. My thought is to let the players know right at the beginning that they feel that something is wrong but they can't quite see what. Then as the game goes on drop clues and let them form their own conclusions. Just would just like to see some other opinions to see ideas i havent thought of.

I think there is an alternative to computer for ages before the modern age in Dark Eras, though I forget what it was. Encryption/Cipers maybe?

As for the twist I don't see any problems in how you would do it.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the vote of confidence. But i dont have dark eras. Could someone please confirm? And cliff note the skill use please?

Comment

characters used the Enigmas Skill to solve — and create — puzzles. Enigmas is useful for creating or decoding cyphers or codes, and navigating or manipulating complex systems (including bureaucracies).
        Straight from the book.
        Last edited by 2ptTakrill; 04-22-2019, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks mate. Really appreciate the info. Much better than the skill i thought of lol

Comment

Originally posted by munkieboi View Post
            Hi. Im working on a setting for a chronicle based on a crime film noir theme with a twist. Im borrowing a fair amount of ideas from The Edge of Midnight rpg for mood and such. But im looking for some outside opinions on a few things. First is the Computers skill. I'd need to change it or delete it since there were no computers in the late 40s. I was thinking like a machinery skill for operating cranes, forklifts, ect but not sure. Second is the magic themes in the edge of midnight setting. Im leaning towards a cthulhu-like idea that IF i include it its only used by rare villians just to add to the something is wrong feel to the setting. Finally the twist: the world itself is like a purgatory/ravenloft/netherworld place. The characters will be ignorant to this at the beginning but get clues that something is definitely not right. I was wondering how others might handle this kind of twist. My thought is to let the players know right at the beginning that they feel that something is wrong but they can't quite see what. Then as the game goes on drop clues and let them form their own conclusions. Just would just like to see some other opinions to see ideas i havent thought of.
            The purpose of a Computer skill in my game would be to ferret out information on enemy tech or find information in general. The equivalent "tool" in a noir setting might be Contacts such as an informant (a la "Jimmy the shoe-shine boy") or a friend in the City Planning office who can get you information.

Comment

Hmmm that is an interesting idea. I can see it working in my game as most pcs will be of a detective bent. But that makes me wonder about the contacts merit. Would that be unnecessary or used differntly?

Comment

Hmmm that is an interesting idea. I can see it working in my game as most pcs will be of a detective bent. But that makes me wonder about the contacts merit. Would that be unnecessary or used differntly?
                I'm not sure what you're asking here. I think that Contacts would be a very common and useful Merit since information commonly found online would (In the 1930's-50's) be accessible to certain special groups. You'd have underworld contacts, street contacts, high society contacts, political contacts, business contacts, and then go-to consultants in science, accounting, the occult, anthropology, etc. Of course one player would not have all of these! But different contacts would separate a Sam Spade detective (tough but from an organized group) from a Nick Charles (high society dabbler), from a Phillip Marlowe (loner tough), to Hawk in the Spenser novels (very violent tough).

Comment

Maybe i misunderstood the Contacts skill you mentioned. Would the skill be like 'working' contacts into giving info or is it like knowing who to ask if you dont have contacts merit? Either way i agree the Contacts merit would be almost essential in a detective nior setting.

Comment

Maybe i misunderstood the Contacts skill you mentioned. Would the skill be like 'working' contacts into giving info or is it like knowing who to ask if you dont have contacts merit? Either way i agree the Contacts merit would be almost essential in a detective nior setting.
                    They are all Merits. You might design a Social Skill for surreptitious questioning (pumping someone for information w/o them knowing you are doing so).

Comment

Ah ok i see what you're saying. That's a good idea. Thanks mate. I'll definitely make use of that

Comment

Theres a Mage Noir source book in existence. Obviously it focuses mostly on Mages but inspiration could be pulled. It talked a lot about the impact WW1 had in magic and society.

But for the Computers skill. Honestly I personally would just drop it. Or switch to enigmas as mentioned above. In return I would just let them have a few extra merit points to put into Contacts or information gathering merits. I like to keep it simple personally.

Comment

Adding a vote for Enigmas. It also helps with a Noir setting, where mystery is a common genre and seems to be something you are leaning into. Investigation still mattere to find clues, but Enigmas puts them together.
                          The Machinery stuff honestly can fall under Drive, I think.

Make sure you look over the Clue systems in 2e as well... it sounds like it may be helpful in this sort of game.

Comment

Originally posted by Margul View Post
                            Theres a Mage Noir source book in existence. Obviously it focuses mostly on Mages but inspiration could be pulled. It talked a lot about the impact WW1 had in magic and society.

But for the Computers skill. Honestly I personally would just drop it. Or switch to enigmas as mentioned above. In return I would just let them have a few extra merit points to put into Contacts or information gathering merits. I like to keep it simple personally.
                            Wasn't aware of a mage nior. I'll have to look into that. I think that i am leaning more toward the encryption skill for puting together clues ect. Thanks for the heads up on the mage book.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
                              Adding a vote for Enigmas. It also helps with a Noir setting, where mystery is a common genre and seems to be something you are leaning into. Investigation still mattere to find clues, but Enigmas puts them together.
                              The Machinery stuff honestly can fall under Drive, I think.

Make sure you look over the Clue systems in 2e as well... it sounds like it may be helpful in this sort of game.
                              Agreed. Simple is better imo. The machinery skill idea was just from years of playing call of cthulhu. Probably wouldn't ever be necessary anyway.

Did have a thought on the pumping of contacts skill mentioned above, probably be easier with a manipulation+wits roll or the like. I like the idea but seems somewhat redundant in hindsight.

Comment

Working...
                              X