Has there ever being a bad Cod book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever being a bad Cod book?

Cod has one of the best track records for a rpg franchise I have ever seen but I am morbidly curious if there ever being a bad book. Not divisive like Beast. But books that everyone agrees is bad.

Beast: The Primord- Oh, well I don't know, maybe Changing Breeds? But it's more New World of Darkness than Chronicles of Darkness.

Comment

NWOD also counts

Comment

I don't think so! There are indeed divisive book slike Beast (which i firmly love )t,but besides,i can't think of one.

Comment

Tome of the Watchtowers used to be the go-to example for Mage. A lot of people really hated the final chapter on the Thyrsus. That said, it's so old I don't think anyone cares much anymore (and personally I quite like it).

Comment

Changing Breeds got a lot bad reviews for both mechanics and settings, so I think it would come up at the top of the list. As for other books.. like, it depends. I don't think there are many other books which are considered to be universally "bad"- I have my preference, others have theirs. I, for example, even like Changing Breeds, with all of its flaws.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Bad books?

Changing Breeds had some interesting fluff and ideas but the mechanics were a little wonky. I still enjoyed it though.

Nomads and Coteries for Requiem were a little 'meh' to me. Just didn't dig them as much.

Comment

I heard a lot of negativity about Half-Damned

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

changing breeds is the only book I can think of that has mostly bad reviews. I've heard about the watchtower book for mage, but I dont know what it did besides people saying the thrysus chapter sucked

Comment

Another vote for Changing Breeds. It's not horrible. It's just a big let down compared to some of the other books. Part of it, is that it's very disjointed in that it feels like two books that got forced into one book and both are compromised for it. For as much as the tone/themes are poorly received by some (more as a bad fit for the setting than inherently being bad) and are pretty heavy handed, they're not a bad thing to explore, but the book can't really drill down into those themes because it's also supposed to be a shifter toolkit. The shift toolkit side is wonky, which makes it hard to apply, and has less utility when it tries to serve the themes of the more focused part.

I think you could get a really good book if you made it into two, but as it stands, it's subpar for the attempt.

In general, I think most of the more "meh" entries are either kinda bland across the board without being bad (Nomads is this for me), or are mixed bags with really good sections and really bad sections, so people will still want to use them for the good stuff even if it means ignoring the bad part (the Tome of the Watchtowers example is a good case here).

Comment

Like, bad bad? Not so much asides from the afore mentioned.

Have there been a lot of forgotten pieces, though? People don't talk as much about Urban Legends, Dogs of War, Tales from the 13th Precinct, or Glimpses of the Unknown, Invite Only also doesn't come up a whole bunch. I think most people only go nuts over War Against the Pure for the other shifters in it?

There's very few books that are bad, but there are a lot of books that need to fit a person's taste to really be read.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Beast, Changing Breeds, Reign Of The Exarchs for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                          Like, bad bad? Not so much asides from the afore mentioned.

Have there been a lot of forgotten pieces, though? People don't talk as much about Urban Legends, Dogs of War, Tales from the 13th Precinct, or Glimpses of the Unknown, Invite Only also doesn't come up a whole bunch. I think most people only go nuts over War Against the Pure for the other shifters in it?

There's very few books that are bad, but there are a lot of books that need to fit a person's taste to really be read.
                          Dogs of War was pretty forgettable, aside from Division Zero and the plot hooks thereof.

War Against The Pure is amazing though, especially the Historical battles chapter

Comment

I don't think I actually have personal least favorites because I tend to just not buy things I don't think would appeal to me?

I guess the closest would be Armory. I was all excited when I bought it(first supplement I ever bought, in fact!), but it has become increasingly unimportant to me over time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also really didn't like Requiem 1st Edition. It was good for what it was, but hell if you'd ever get me to sit down and play it.
                            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 04-26-2019, 07:05 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                              I heard a lot of negativity about Half-Damned
                              Yeah, I must say that I have very divided view of Half Damned. It has some good things, and some good potential- but it sometimes feels like an editorial mess, with many internal contradictions and lack of unified vision. Especially the dhampir's chapter. Less of a "bad book" in terms of writing quality, concepts or mechanics, and more with the fact that it feels like the different writers didn't really communicated with each other much...

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X