• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it ok if someone says what watchtowers did to the thrysus

Comment

I second that.

Comment

It's been something like a decade since it came up, but I remember the major issue being that the chapter tended to portray the Thyrsus as kinda lost in the modern world. The idea being that the ecological destruction of the modern world hasn't exactly been great for Life/Spirit mages. I personally kinda liked it as it made a kind of logical sense, but I think a lot of people took it as very prescriptive of how you should play your Thyrsus, like if you're not living in the woods and shunning technology, you're not doing it right.

That said, you have to remember that this was like book... 3/4 in a series whose name indicated it to be a replacement for a game (Ascension) that a lot of people were really attached to. I get the feeling that a lot of the criticism was very reflective of that. There was a lot of criticism that Awakening was far more confining of character choice than Ascension had been, and now there's this chapter apparently telling you exactly how to play a Thyrsus.

Also there's a merit that let Thyrsus ignore Wisdom Sins for killing. Seeing as a lot of people objected to the morality systems, a merit to ignore it seemed to rub salt in the wound a bit.

That's at least how I remember it. I won't argue if others remember differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It's been something like a decade since it came up, but I remember the major issue being that the chapter tended to portray the Thyrsus as kinda lost in the modern world. The idea being that the ecological destruction of the modern world hasn't exactly been great for Life/Spirit mages. I personally kinda liked it as it made a kind of logical sense, but I think a lot of people took it as very prescriptive of how you should play your Thyrsus, like if you're not living in the woods and shunning technology, you're not doing it right.

That said, you have to remember that this was like book... 3/4 in a series whose name indicated it to be a replacement for a game (Ascension) that a lot of people were really attached to. I get the feeling that a lot of the criticism was very reflective of that. There was a lot of criticism that Awakening was far more confining of character choice than Ascension had been, and now there's this chapter apparently telling you exactly how to play a Thyrsus.

Also there's a merit that let Thyrsus ignore Wisdom Sins for killing. Seeing as a lot of people objected to the morality systems, a merit to ignore it seemed to rub salt in the wound a bit.

That's at least how I remember it. I won't argue if others remember differently.
          ahh ok. I can see how it would effect life, but i think it does not make as much sense when you factor in Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
            ahh ok. I can see how it would effect life, but i think it does not make as much sense when you factor in Spirit
            Well, that was more or less the common criticism.

Though I'd say it's not so much destruction as disruption. Like, the Gauntlet is heavily tied to the number of people, so when you get mass urbanisation, you have huge areas that are more cut off from the Shadow, whilst at the same time they create vast amounts of essence and a huge number of new spirit types that disrupt previous Spirit ecologies. Boston Unveiled which came out a bit before did something like that, where much of Boston's Shadow was a mess because it's built on reclaimed land from the sea, the Shadow hasn't and struggles to adjust. Also, bear in mind that at least in 1e, much of the modern world does do horrible things to the Shadow. Wounds especially are far more common than they were.

Finally, they are Life and Spirit mages, it's maybe not that surprising that they'd tend to be bias towards nature spirits.

Rereading the chapter, there might also have been criticism over how anti-social the Thyrsus are suggested to be. I don't know anymore.

Comment

Tome of the Watchtowers used to be the go-to example for Mage. A lot of people really hated the final chapter on the Thyrsus. That said, it's so old I don't think anyone cares much anymore (and personally I quite like it).
              Why do people hate that one? I actually like the Thyrsus chapter, but, Im a Thyrsus soo... My only complaint would be the lack of majesty and scale I expected of the tower itself? Feel free to pm me an answer if your inclined and not busy, either way im very curious.

EDIT: AURGH I THOUGHT THIS WAS A 1 PAGE DISCUSSION IM SORRY

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

Why do people hate that one? I actually like the Thyrsus chapter, but, Im a Thyrsus soo... My only complaint would be the lack of majesty and scale I expected of the tower itself? Feel free to pm me an answer if your inclined and not busy, either way im very curious.

EDIT: AURGH I THOUGHT THIS WAS A 1 PAGE DISCUSSION IM SORRY
                Because it seemed to have forgotten that cities have every bit as active of a spiritual landscape as rural territories.

Nevermind that there's plenty of Life in cities, too. People are alive, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                  Because it seemed to have forgotten that cities have every bit as active of a spiritual landscape as rural territories.

Nevermind that there's plenty of Life in cities, too. People are alive, after all.
                  Yes all that makes perfect sense. Heck Id even forgotten about aaalll that junk. I read it for the Supernal stuff

Comment

Cities in nWoD have *more* activity in the Shadow than rural landscapes do.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

How would that work in a Tabletop setting? Where the other players Presumably don’t live in the Woods and eat Raw Rabbits.

Bacchae This a Sprit we Have to deal with and Max had his Leg chopped off Can you Go back to Lewisville.

Why couldn’t Max come here? Said Bacchae

His Legs been chopped Off!

He is in Critical Condition! He sure as Hell can’t Journey to the Fucking Forest with all does nasty ticks and shit. God-Machine I hate bugs.

Also there’s a pretty nasty Spirit Down there the One responsible for the Mentioned Leg-Cutting.

My food well spoil As she gestures to a Human Corpse With Huge chunks torn out. Holy shit Bacchae You killed And someone?!

Didn’t Kill Them The Sprits told me of the Body it was Exsanguinated so presumably a Leach did it.

Holy shit I should report you to the Coliseum for this,

Don’t you need my to deal with that Sprit ?

Yes but you FUCKING ATE SOMEONE!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X