Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avast! How Be The Various Splats Embarking On Piratical Voyages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avast! How Be The Various Splats Embarking On Piratical Voyages?

Well, that.

Inspired by Dark Eras 2 and playing the Vampire Coast faction in Total War Warhammer, I was wondering how the supernatural set would embark on a glorious career of naval robbery and ship-jacking. As well as how they'd approach the non-robbery aspects of piracy, like actually unloading the loot and enjoying the acquisitions outside of prison or the gallows.

For bonus points, this can be the classic Golden Age(s) of Piracy, or more modern.

Piracy is pretty easy for werewolves. Although we didn't see traditional pirates for them, the Viking Dark Era did show them off as raiders and plunderers. While I've always loved the ocean, the other ST in our group is usually the one that incorporates it into the setting, so there would be some interesting lodges that might require things like human sacrifice at sea, or throwing booty into the depths to feed some god-spirit of sunken treasure.

You'd likely try to keep the ships crew as wolf-blooded as possible, while having connections in ports and governments who could be the human members of the packs, or just connections like the pirates had them.

The actual dirty work would be easy, especially since you could have trips out as sacred hunts. It really seems like something that could fit for every tribe, even among the Pure.

Comment

Prommies prefer planes.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

geists could have literal ghost ships, helping pirate ghosts find their treasure or defeat their greatest enemy.

the life of a pirate Sin eater would be easy enough, fight ghosts, get riches both mundane and underworldly. the only difficult part may be how the geists behave being pirates and all

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          Prommies prefer planes.
          wait, if a promethean stays on a ship across the seas, will that ship become a moving wasteland?

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

wait, if a promethean stays on a ship across the seas, will that ship become a moving wasteland?
            I mean, they'd have to spark it first. Theoretically they can have a safe travel, since the Disquiet will only elevate to rank 2, which is manageable, and so long as no one lights the entropy, Wasteland isn't an issue. Beyond that, it's a matter of not falling to Torment.

The problem is that there's a lot of things that can trigger a Wasteland, and not all of them are in the Promethean's control. If something does happen and Wasteland and Disquiet can really rise...well, that's going to be a very arrrduous journey.

I'll see myself out.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

You know how pirate's gold is always cursed in some way? Arisen might not get up to piracy often (frequently, not lost parents ), but they're as likely to be the buried treasure as they pirates themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                You know how pirate's gold is always cursed in some way? Arisen might not get up to piracy often (frequently, not lost parents ), but they're as likely to be the buried treasure as they pirates themselves.
                A Mummy expansion for Golden Age of Piracy is very high on my STV todo list once 2e comes out (or possibly even once it's Kickstarted). Also Golden Age of Sci-Fi, but that is a different topic.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  A Mummy expansion for Golden Age of Piracy is very high on my STV todo list once 2e comes out (or possibly even once it's Kickstarted). Also Golden Age of Sci-Fi, but that is a different topic.
                  wasnt that gonna happen but didnt reach the kickstarter goal? the latter era I mean

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

wasnt that gonna happen but didnt reach the kickstarter goal? the latter era I mean
                    Yes, but it's Werewolf/Deviant (and awesome!). The Mummy idea was an add on I thought about for my backer expansion in DE2 before I became a writer on the book. I didn't end up suggesting that one, so we got WWI Promethean instead, but if I have time I'd like to flesh it out on my own.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Vampires and Beasts would both potentially have trouble with a long sea voyage, given the logistics of feeding in a very small (<200 people, often much less) community/crew and with little or no privacy. I could see a Beast as a pirate captain leading her crew/cult into vicious battles in order to get those big Satiety rolls, but those opportunities don't come around very often, and there might be a lot of downtime away from shore where she's either got to turn on her crew, or...well, turn on her crew. Probably not going to bring along the entire coterie/brood unless you're very, very sure about your feeding arrangements.

I also just had the mental image of a hungry vampire with low BP throwing himself overboard to fight a dolphin with the intention to feed from it. I don't think that would go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        Yes, but it's Werewolf/Deviant (and awesome!). The Mummy idea was an add on I thought about for my backer expansion in DE2 before I became a writer on the book. I didn't end up suggesting that one, so we got WWI Promethean instead, but if I have time I'd like to flesh it out on my own.
                        sorry for the late reply. anyway, that's awesome! when you get to making and setting up for sale the mummy version I'll be getting it

Comment

I imagine any vampires sailing would probably be quite the bloodthirsty pirates due to their relatively sparse feeding times; if this is the Golden Age of Piracy, well prisoners and slaves might be the best way too keep them going in the lean times. I imagine it would be a very small coterie, if a coterie at all, due to just how often a vampire needs to feed; maybe a Vampire Captain with a Ghoul First Mate to keep the ship in line during the day.

Comment

Yeah, here was my thinking on "rations" for vampires: 1 Vitae per day is a starvation diet (just enough to wake up in the evening, nothing to spare for healing, Disciplines, etc.) while 2-3 would be subsistence (slowly refilling the tank between major actions). If they're feeding on crewmates, you'd not want to take more than ~3 Vitae per victim anyway to avoid the wound penalties/Drained condition, and each such victim would need 4-6 days to heal the resulting damage. You could feed more from an individual captive, but they'd still need recovery time if you plan to keep them alive for any length of time.

That puts the herd minimum at 6 people per vampire, probably 12 to be safe, and that's assuming they're not going to resist or complain about it. The size of pirate crews in the Golden Age varied wildly: really large ships could still be safely handled by ~20 people, or a really small ship might be crammed full to bursting with the intention of overwhelming the target with a huge boarding party.

Comment

Theoretically a vampire could stay asleep during most of the trip, then be awakened when a target is near. But that would require a lot of trusting in ghouls or whoever else you had piloting the ship, and even then crossing your fingers to hope you got to a target at nighttime, rather than during the day.

It would probably be safest to be more short ranged than others would be willing to go. Of course they could always have ghouls using things like Animalism (and survival skills) to help fish and get some extra Vitae that way but it would be hard to manage with vampires of a decent age.

Comment

Working...
                              X