Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avast! How Be The Various Splats Embarking On Piratical Voyages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Aegis Kai Duro would be an interesting choice from Hunter's point of view- like Mummy, they would be searching new lands and sunken depths in search for lost relics and ruins of alien civilizations. Cheiron (Acheron during that Era, I believe) would also be interested in harvesting all the new monsters from beyond the sea and in the waters bellow it, even though they probably won't do it as pirates (they could serve as interesting antagonists, however). A Lucifuge pirate descendant from Leviathan or Dagon or any other sea-bound demon which hunts for demonic beings from the depths and ghost ships from hell could also be interesting. Also, there is that Hunter fiction about a ghost ship of cannibal slashers, which could serve as antagonistic cabal of murderers.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

A vampire could wait the day out in the ship's hold. As for feeding, Animalism would probably be a must to summon blood sources and the vampire would want to keep their Blood Potency low for that reason. I suppose you could also staff a ship with enough crew if you made your Herd large enough. You'd need a diverse crowd though and the issue would also be quality of blood; if people start getting scurvy, malnutrition, etc. it could affect your food source negatively.

Comment

A changeling could do worse than taking up the mantle of privateer for their country. The large factors are their own personal comfort with life on the sea and their sense of surety that their Keeper can't nab them out at sea and in new lands, which means that it could range from "You couldn't pay me with coins meant for the King of America himself" to "WHO WANTS TO START A FREEHOLD ON THE HIGH SEAS?!"

Though as noted, the Golden Age of Piracy is when Arcadian Privateers go from just a thing to being a major part of the world of Changeling-attitudes towards trafficking in fellow Lost takes on all the ugliest aspects of this era, and will persist forward to the present and assumedly onwards. One can assume that for changelings, involvement in this part of the world at the time was a...morally gray time to be Lost.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I feel like there would be a lot of tension in a relic-oriented game on the open seas. Especially considering how many powers there are that could absolutely wreck a ship. It would be so easy for something to fall overboard and sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            I feel like there would be a lot of tension in a relic-oriented game on the open seas. Especially considering how many powers there are that could absolutely wreck a ship. It would be so easy for something to fall overboard and sink to the bottom of the ocean.
            in a way that would make enemy relic hunters be way less of a risk to fight than people who are just in it to cause chaos

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              A changeling could do worse than taking up the mantle of privateer for their country. The large factors are their own personal comfort with life on the sea and their sense of surety that their Keeper can't nab them out at sea and in new lands, which means that it could range from "You couldn't pay me with coins meant for the King of America himself" to "WHO WANTS TO START A FREEHOLD ON THE HIGH SEAS?!"

Though as noted, the Golden Age of Piracy is when Arcadian Privateers go from just a thing to being a major part of the world of Changeling-attitudes towards trafficking in fellow Lost takes on all the ugliest aspects of this era, and will persist forward to the present and assumedly onwards. One can assume that for changelings, involvement in this part of the world at the time was a...morally gray time to be Lost.
              My personal headcanon is that showing up in shiny pirate gear is an extreme faux pas in modern Courts; it invokes images of sponsored, legally accepted privateers, which is where the Arcadian slave-taking variety got their fashion and name from...

Showing up in bedraggled buccaneer garb, hand-me-down sailing stuff, or especially ghost pirate chic if you're the kind involved in ghost wrangling, is A-OK though; so long as you look like you're not sponsored by anyone, it hardly speaks badly of you to invoke comparisons to mutineers against oppressive captains or enemies of the Spainish Empire.

Oh, I've got one: Deviants Remade by the Honorable East India Trading Company. "I knew that batch of tea tasted a little off..."
              Last edited by Leliel; 05-01-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

My personal headcanon is that showing up in shiny pirate gear is an extreme faux pas in modern Courts; it invokes images of sponsored, legally accepted privateers, which is where the Arcadian slave-taking variety got their fashion and name from...

Showing up in bedraggled buccaneer garb, hand-me-down sailing stuff, or especially ghost pirate chic if you're the kind involved in ghost wrangling, is A-OK though; so long as you look like you're not sponsored by anyone, it hardly speaks badly of you to invoke comparisons to mutineers against oppressive captains or enemies of the Spainish Empire.

Oh, I've got one: Deviants Remade by the Honorable East India Trading Company. "I knew that batch of tea tasted a little off..."
                I imagine that only matters to the really old folks in the modern day. Everyone else sees a Jack Sparrow fan.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
                  Vampires and Beasts would both potentially have trouble with a long sea voyage, given the logistics of feeding in a very small (<200 people, often much less) community/crew and with little or no privacy. I could see a Beast as a pirate captain leading her crew/cult into vicious battles in order to get those big Satiety rolls, but those opportunities don't come around very often, and there might be a lot of downtime away from shore where she's either got to turn on her crew, or...well, turn on her crew. Probably not going to bring along the entire coterie/brood unless you're very, very sure about your feeding arrangements.

I also just had the mental image of a hungry vampire with low BP throwing himself overboard to fight a dolphin with the intention to feed from it. I don't think that would go well.
                  In the style of a history book that is at least attempting to be interesting...

"Invictus vampires actually make up a surprising number of pirates among the kindred; the Oath of Abstinence, normally derided by traditionalists, actually made it possible to captain a vessel for long periods of time. They would captain the vessels to feed their needs to control or dominate those around them, choosing a few ghouls or dominated mortals as mates who controlled the rest of the ship. Even then, though, these ships often focused on short-range tactics and stayed close to port.
                  "The Gangrel are a notable exception. Young Gangrel pirates often developed methods of taking aquatic forms and hunted sea creatures, whose blood wasn't necessarily satisfying but was very plentiful in those days, especially from larger creatures. Some indications posit that the legends of "kraken" and otherwise unvalidated sightings of "giant squid" may have either inspired or been inspired by squid-like Gangrel pirates hunting sharks and whales."

"Among the Primordials, their need to feed on mortal psyches - a hunger that drives especially hard as they grew more powerful - meant that Beast captains and crewmates were usually younger and less powerful. However, the role of a pirate easily appealed to many of the Hungers, especially the more materially or martially focused. Predators often went after ships to drive fear into them; Collectors focused more on treasure. Naturally, Makara were represented more than any other Family; however, a large number of Namtaru and Eshmallki found a place on the seas. Anakim were the rarest; those who did go out focused more on mental abilities rather than bolstering their often-impressive stature. A small group of the few Anakim pirates identified with the legends of the Cyclopes in the Odyssey, tying themselves to the so-called Children of Poseidon."

Comment

I've wanted to play a Lost Chronicle about pirates for a while. It just feels right in my mind.

Comment

Beast feeding issues seem pretty easily solved by having a Chamber of your ship and a few in your favorite ports. Does wonders for all your other logistics too.

Comment

I was wondering about the logistics of a traveling Chamber, actually, though I don't recall anything in RAW that explicitly contraindicates them. The alternative might be a Chamber that's just, like, rooted in the middle of the ocean -- you'd have to be one hell of a sailor to even find it pre-GPS.

Comment

A floating Chamber sounds like a pretty nifty idea, IMO, as long as you consider what it implies narratively. First, it means Something Bad Happened on This Ship. I mean, that's supposed to be a thing with all Chambers, but deciding how your pirate ship became "haunted" by a Beast seems like a great way to make it a character of its own. Who or what was it hauling when it became a Chamber, and what awful thing happened to seal the deal? Second, thinking of the Lair Trait, I think you can go much more interesting places than those environmental factors you can control or that are pretty universal to ocean-going vessels. What if it became a Chamber during a hurricane, so now it only "opens" if you sail into a serious storm? Or maybe the ship was badly damaged at the time, so now you need to take on a fair amount of water before you can get to your Lair - enough to mess with maneuverability and that takes hours for the crew to bail out (to say nothing of the danger of accidentally taking on too much and not being able to easily recover from the flooding).

Taking all that and applying it to a Beast antagonist could work nicely, as well. If your ship gets caught in a storm, hung up on a reef/sandbar, catches fire, suffers a hull breach, or whatever, suddenly you become vulnerable to boarding by a pirate and his crew via a Primordial Pathway. It's like a twist on the "ghost pirate ship" story, but instead of the ghost ship being one that eerily appears on a foggy night, it literally isn't even there when the attack occurs. The pirates might buzz you in port days or weeks before they attack, knowing they can board you when you are facing some other shipboard crisis - whether one they're reasonably confident will occur anyway (a storm in the right latitudes) or one they can manufacture by sending an agent to sabotage the ship at a key moment. Make it several Beast pirates, each with slightly different Lair Traits, and pretty much any seafaring problem becomes fair game for a boarding party.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

it could be like a Blackbeard sorta legend or (more likely) the flying dutchman to have a chamber for a ship

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              it could be like a Blackbeard sorta legend or (more likely) the flying dutchman to have a chamber for a ship
                              I know, right? And if you want to amp it up a step further (almost certainly as an antagonist in a chronicle featuring another line, since you're moving outside of RAW), let the *ship* travel the Primordial Pathways, able to appear out of the fog or storm absolutely anywhere in the world, wherever a ship is in the right kind of distress. Perhaps the ship itself feeds on fear the way other Beasts do, but it can only derive sustenance from the terror of an entire *ship* of mortals - whether as a pirate predator, an avenging nemesis (perhaps targeting slave ships or pirate ships), or an exotic collector of strange animals from distant shores or golden treasures from the New World. Definitely the sort of thing that could inspire ghost stories among seafarers in the Chronicles of Darkness. Plenty of ways and reasons the players' characters could get involved in a story involving such a ship - whether to sink it, rescue someone from it, consult a character who travels on it (as part of a larger quest), to plunder its treasures, or to capture the ship itself for use in a still greater challenge that requires a ship that can travel anywhere on the world's oceans almost instantly.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

Have I mentioned that I love the way your brain works Eric? Because I love the way your brain works. That is an awesome hook!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X