Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hacking the Geist Krewe Rules for Sworn Factions (Help Wanted)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking the Geist Krewe Rules for Sworn Factions (Help Wanted)

I'm trying to build a game focusing on, essentially, "Superspies with Fangs Against the Contagion" over on RPGnet; while there's a lot of interest in it, I do want to show that the players are, in forming a firm dedicated to solving Contagion-related problems, are becoming an organization with its own unique toolkit, to tie in with the lore hints that there is such a thing as custom Vectors.

So, as the title suggests, I'm representing the new faction and its assets, along with other factions, False groups, and the occasional Carrier cult, as krewes.

I've got some core ideas, but I need help with one thing; dot ratings.

The hack I've done is as follows:

Attributes: The same. All the Contagion-countering power in the world doesn't matter if your goons can't legally buy resources.

Merits: Also the same; factions generally aren't cults (unless they're Saturnalians or the Jeremiad, and the latter isn't actually that cult-like with their open tolerance of new perspectives), but acting like a Mystery Cult is just good sense, hence why they have a unique Initiation Merit as well, as their more trusted members are afforded more influence and power from the pooled energies of the proper Sworn.

Doctrines: At least one founding Doctrine must be directly related to the Contagion. False receive normal Beats for advancing them, Sworn receive Sworn Beats.

Virtue and Creed: Same for Sworn. Given the fundamentally self-centered and cynical nature of False, a False faction's Virtue and Creed are reversed for Willpower gain; False adherents gain one Willpower from taking action in accordance with their faction's Virtue, all Willpower when meaningfully advancing their Creed, as the False honestly care more about goals than the reason for getting those goals.

Congregation: Renamed Immunity, to fit with the medical theming; it represents the same thing, but also represents how resistant the group is to the Contagion as a whole, as mental stress and disunity also allows the Change-Plague more chances to get a foothold.

Esotery: Renamed Efficacy, representing both acute, personal understanding of the Contagion and the ability to force it to play by the faction's rules by having developed spiritually sounder strategies for isolating, treating, containing, and even taming it. Linked to the core group's own Vectors; after dot 5, the core ends up developing new and unique Vectors, or possibly reviving lost ones from other, fallen factions.

Ceremonies and Regalia: The problem. I'm not sure how to hack this; Regalia's not as much of an issue, because it's a unique trait and does show how one faction is different from another (Zero Hour gives a field leader role to the most qualified member for a particular operation, the Cryptocracy isolates Caliber in a singular living node so it can interfere more directly, the Crucible Initiative overdoses its VIPs with experimental mystical immune boosters with hazardous side effects), but while I do have Ceremonies replaced by "ritual Vectors" (lets call them Plasmids), I'm not sure of what good assignments dot ratings are. What the diff between two and three dots is. Little help?

I would reframe Doctrines as Mission Statements, and shape them accordingly.

Virtue and Creed are fine.

Congregation could be Commitment or Community, but functions the same.

Efficacy is Excellent.

Ceremonies and Regalia are unimportant to the functions of the Factions, since those are really tied into at least death cults that are more religious-like in nature, while Factions don't really need religious functions (barring the Jeremiad).

The Factions are more likely to have Tactics as a major supporting feature.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

When I was hacking the krewe rules, I renamed Congregation to Morale, and Doctrines to Aspirations - the latter because I wanted to apply the social maneuvering system to them.

Comment

Okay, nice suggestions.

You think Sworn Tactics could involve supernatural stuff, being custom Vectors and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
          Okay, nice suggestions.

You think Sworn Tactics could involve supernatural stuff, being custom Vectors and stuff?
          Put simply, not only yes but hella.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

OK, here's the pending revision:

Regalia: Renamed Vaccination, representing a member that has been symbolically made the "needlepoint" of their faction for a mission. Otherwise the same, though bestowing a Vaccination is often more science-based than Regalia.

Ceremonies: Not used. Rather, they use Tactics, a la Hunter: the Vigil Mortal Remains. One extra Experience charge allows the tactic to be learned as a Plasmid, an explicitly supernatural version meant to serve both to influence the supernatural from a supernatural perspective, and to affect the Contagion itself.

Comment

Also, I started up the recruitment thread. Tell me if any of you want a link.

Comment

Working...
              X