Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do spirits roll to cross the Gauntlet at a Locus, and does it cost anything?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do spirits roll to cross the Gauntlet at a Locus, and does it cost anything?

The topic title says it all: What do spirits roll to cross the Gauntlet at a Locus, and does it cost anything (like Essence)?

My understanding is that the whole point of Twilight Form is that they can do this, and that it costs nothing, but the way it's phrased in the book isn't sufficiently explicit for me to take it as RAW. It's ambiguous enough that I feel the need to ask.

• Malus
    replied
    As a house-rule, I only allow spirits resonant with a given locus to use it as a doorway. Makes things more homogeneous.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    My understanding is that the whole point of Twilight Form is that they can do this, and that it costs nothing, but the way it's phrased in the book isn't sufficiently explicit for me to take it as RAW. It's ambiguous enough that I feel the need to ask.
    Twilight Form is not a Manifestation that is activated. It's simply the default state for all ephemeral entities when not in an ephemeral realm. That it's listed as a Manifestation has always been a source of confusion (especially in Mage where Goetia are stated to have no Manifestations at all but obviously should still have Twilight Form; it was amended in a later book).

What a spirit need to cross the Gauntlet is the Gauntlet Breach Manifestation. It costs 3 Essence to use, requires the Resonant Condition, and the spirit rolls Power+Finesse penalised by Gauntlet Strength. A locus is preferable only because the spirit gains a bonus instead of a penalty, but only the lowest ranking spirits would have any problem with the penalty anyway.

Spirit-Claimed, however, can always cross the Gauntlet at a Locus by rolling Intelligence + Presence (with no Essence cost or Resonant requirement), but since they lose access to all of their Manifestations that's the only place they can cross the Gauntlet.
    Last edited by Tessie; 05-19-2019, 08:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Crossing is a Power + Finesse roll, and Loci provide a +2 bonus to it, though there are Condition and/or cost requirements that change depending on the method.

Twilight Form is the default state, which is free and comes with no costs/additional requirements if the ephemeral entity moves into Twilight, but you still have to do that some how and pay the costs to do so.

So a spirit using Gauntlet Breach can spend 3 Essence, needing only the Resonant Condition, and cross from the Shadow and be in Twilight. If they have access to the Open Condition, they could spend 6 Essence to cross the Gauntlet and manifest physically.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X