New splat concepts for CoD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New splat concepts for CoD

This is a collection of my own original splats for CoD. They are simply concepts for now, but it wouldn't be hard for us to flesh them out. Maybe the devs will like something and want to make it cannon.

Agent: The Truth
    The last thing you remember was a light outside your window. There are flashes of strange figures in a room full of bizarre equipment. You remember agreeing to something. And then you find yourself in the place you left, but hours have passed. All your friends and family have been looking for you. You don't know what to tell them. But you do know that you've been changed.

As an agent, you work for the mysterious Outsiders. They gave you powers. And you must use those powers to find things that have no business being in this world. You must eliminate utterly, not even leaving the memory of their existence. You may not know the Truth, but you know it's out there. And you know you can never allow anyone to know.

I pitched this before, but people just kind of stopped replying. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...gent-the-truth

Mer: the Depths
    You are called to the water. Something in your blood tells you the land is not your place. When you give in to the water your body is changed. You become a creature of the sea.

I actually got this idea after listening to The Shadow Over Innsmouth. You are descended from the few citizens of Atlantis who escaped the cataclysm. But you, like Atlantis itself are cursed to be pulled under the waves.

Alchemist: The Transformation
    The world is a collection of ingredients interacting with each other in countless exciting ways. You can see all the ways they fit together. You were forever changed by the first successful formula. Now you can use these chemicals to change things.

This is my way of adding Invisible Man and Mister Hyde type characters to the game. You figured out a formula that changed your body forever, and now you know how to do even more. Maybe you've turned yourself invisible, maybe you transform into a cat, maybe your body constantly excretes poison.

Technomancer: The Cutting Edge
    You understand machines. No, you really understand them. It's like you can speak to them. And they speak back.

Technomancers are something new to modern mythology. They are the people who make machines do the impossible. Imagine drivers who make their cars do the impossible. And of course technomancers are super powered hackers.

Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
    This is a collection of my own original splats for CoD.
    These read like generic character concepts, not splat concepts.

They are simply concepts for now, but it wouldn't be hard for us to flesh them out. Maybe the devs will like something and want to make it cannon.
    I think you severely underestimate the amount of effort involved in make a gameline.

Agent: The Truth
    The last thing you remember was a light outside your window. There are flashes of strange figures in a room full of bizarre equipment. You remember agreeing to something. And then you find yourself in the place you left, but hours have passed. All your friends and family have been looking for you. You don't know what to tell them. But you do know that you've been changed.

As an agent, you work for the mysterious Outsiders. They gave you powers. And you must use those powers to find things that have no business being in this world. You must eliminate utterly, not even leaving the memory of their existence. You may not know the Truth, but you know it's out there. And you know you can never allow anyone to know.

I pitched this before, but people just kind of stopped replying. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...gent-the-truth
    This seems a lot like one potential type of Deviant from Deviant: the Renegades. It could also be a Contagion Chronicle hook, a Hunter: the Vigil Compact or Conspiracy, even the backstory for a Banisher's Awakening in Mage.

So what's the unique hook? What sets this apart from just playing the concept in a different game?

Mer: the Depths
    You are called to the water. Something in your blood tells you the land is not your place. When you give in to the water your body is changed. You become a creature of the sea.

I actually got this idea after listening to The Shadow Over Innsmouth. You are descended from the few citizens of Atlantis who escaped the cataclysm. But you, like Atlantis itself are cursed to be pulled under the waves.
    How much underwater adventuring is there, really? At least in a modern fantasy horror game, after all, most humans live on land, which means that's where most interaction is going to be.

The specific type of character could easily be done by Beast: the Primordial (Eshmaki or Makara) or even Changeling: the Lost (an aquatic kith) if you want to stretch a bit.

Remember, for a full splat you need at least 5 different "classes" and 5 different "philosophies;" you can't create a gameline for a single character concept.

Alchemist: The Transformation
    The world is a collection of ingredients interacting with each other in countless exciting ways. You can see all the ways they fit together. You were forever changed by the first successful formula. Now you can use these chemicals to change things.

This is my way of adding Invisible Man and Mister Hyde type characters to the game. You figured out a formula that changed your body forever, and now you know how to do even more. Maybe you've turned yourself invisible, maybe you transform into a cat, maybe your body constantly excretes poison.
    I believe Deviant: the Renegade will support this type of character, specifically. Promethean: the Created heavily uses alchemy and alchemy themes, Hunter: the Vigil's Ascending Ones are alchemists, and Mage: the Awakening's Signs of Sorcery should have information on Awakened Alchemy.

What's the theme of your Alchemist line? What are its X and Y components? Why would I want to play Alchemist: the Transformation rather than an alchemist character in a different gameline?

Technomancer: The Cutting Edge
    You understand machines. No, you really understand them. It's like you can speak to them. And they speak back.

Technomancers are something new to modern mythology. They are the people who make machines do the impossible. Imagine drivers who make their cars do the impossible. And of course technomancers are super powered hackers.
    I'm going to assume you mean "person that magically controls technology" and not "person that uses technology to perform divination" (what technomancer actually means).

Same problem as the others. What are your different types of technomage? What is the specific horror of a technomage? Why not just play a Mage with the Forces Arcana in Mage: the Awakening or design a Supernatural Merit for mortal characters that gives them minor influence over technology? Heck, you could create a Werewolf shaman that specializes in technology spirits for a similar effect in a different line.

Again, none of these are splats, and having thought about it more these aren't even character concepts, they're a collection of very narrow powers.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

I rather liked the Mer one. I could easily see the sort of thing where as one's power stat goes up, you have to spend more and more time in the sea. But in the meantime, most of the low to mid level ones live on the coasts in major port cities or seaside towns and villages. Possibilities for certain types of dark fantasy, mythological weirdness, Lovecraftian horror, environmental issues, and the general alien nature of the sea to humans. Maybe draw on things like The Abyss (1989), as well as various legends of sunken kingdoms such as Lyonesse, Ys, and Cantre'r Gwaelod, and various Irish sea voyage myths. Stuff like Peter Benchley novels (Jaws, The Deep), Bernard Cornwall's sailing thrillers (Killers Wake, Stormchild), The Perfect Storm, and various Bermuda Triangle theories for some additional inspiration. Maybe not a full game line, but an interesting sourcebook similar to some of the old stuff like Second Sight and Skinchangers.
      Last edited by No One of Consequence; 05-29-2019, 01:40 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Hrm. I read somewhere that what the writers do is put themes down first, then tie the splat to them. Vampire is themed around trying to balance humanity and necessity, Werewolf around tradition, violence, and finding inner peace in a world where peace is the state between wars, Mage the seductiveness of mysteries and the corruptive nature of power.

Mer could be about heritage; how it alienates, but also is a fundamental part of identity. Sympathetic Deep Ones, in a sense.

Comment

I think there is very little that is not covered.

Maybe Contagion get into a line of major threats that become a line of its own (and that includes things like Hell with Ariman and all, Cthulhu, Aliens type War of the Worlds and Multiverse).

Other than that, changing Breeds deserved to become a Major Template (based on Aztec mythology and its suns / eras of humanity being this the third, animals that have seen people or humans keep the spirit until a certain generation, lord of the flies with inversion on the principle of the means hostile and Darwinian and Lamarckian evolutionaryism, it is clear that specific splats can be worth of other cultures and be kind of universal, but the basis being that).

Something from the lower Buddhist Kingdoms (Jigokudō, Gakido Chikushōdō including Indian and Chinese variations that have serveras mythological differences as splats).

And just. Everything else fits the current lines (and even they do not need so much stuff like that).

It is not popular but a book with creature hacks is something that interests me much more than putting up absurd scenarios (like mascara fell or we live a cyberpunk high magic). Each creature fits two very interesting hacks. Other than that I would like to see an Translate Guide for Changeling.

And the impossible. An officialization of Princess.

Comment

Thing I wish it was Inferno 2.0

I very much hope that they will abandon the Goethian approach of the first edition by a Zoroastrian approach in that second. And I expect the two in X to be what their function for Ahriman (based on the 6 Persian archetypes - 1 - Akoman - Corruptors, Seducers, Tempters 2 - Indar - Dark Lords, Proud Rulers, punish their enemies and reward their devotees. "righteous" 3 - Nanghait - Punishers and Torturers 4 - Sawar - They are not Corruptors and Corrupt and Vicious 5 - Tauriz - Agents of Conflict and Destruction 6 - Zariz - Cheaters and Entities with opposing natures or contradictory purposes and will contradictory to its purpose) and the Y in what is this demon (1 - Angels, Djins and Fallen Gods - like the Christian and Muslim version 2 - Demons Reborn as such by Carma - like the Buddhist, Hindu and Taoist versions. - Creation of Ahriman 4 - Destructive Natural Spirits such as Chagas the Negative Entities of Shinto 5 - Dark Gods - Paganism 6 - Deviant Gods - like the rulers of Xibalba 7 - Contaminated Spirits and Supernatural Beings very evil and mighty ones that were destroyed. 8 - Unclaimed Human Souls that fell there and ascended - Spiritist Dragons. 9. Forgotten Gods. 10 - Others, including Goethias things).

Zoroastrism is unfortunately little used in fiction but Vertigo had done an excellent job of it as the basis for other metaphysics within them. As of the Original Demons criticizing the Fallen Angels, "these angels came and think that they rule here, but they do not know that we are much older than the creator of their rebel leader."

Ahriman is not the opposite pole to God Machine. A Great Entity of the Dark Mother Level, The Divine Fire, and the Machine God certainly, but something even older than these. Older than anything and indifferent to other great entities but treated by them as Contagion is. And seen as something external.

It would be interesting until such a thing was dead (as Kamen Rider Black worked, waiting for a successor who will never come). But I do not know if hell would not get too big, just like the contagion and end up becoming a crossover supplement. Against the Created and Corrupted by the Forgotten God. This would refer to the God of Yellow too, where Darkness and Evil precede everything, not all evil came from it, but it was the first thing that arose, a reversal of Christianity in which Sin is disobedience and denial of Light that the Natural State. Here we would have the Darkness is the Natural State, the light is a rare event (which tends to create in new darkness distinct from primordial darkness and averse to it as much as light itself).

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
              Hrm. I read somewhere that what the writers do is put themes down first, then tie the splat to them. Vampire is themed around trying to balance humanity and necessity, Werewolf around tradition, violence, and finding inner peace in a world where peace is the state between wars, Mage the seductiveness of mysteries and the corruptive nature of power.
              I think you're right, except that those three examples were started as adaptations of oWoD games so the splats definitely came first. Themes were still important, though, when shaping them into their own games and not just mere adaptations.
              All-in-all, the current trend for Onyx Path seems to be build-a-monster, whatwith both Beast and Deviant being designed around themes, as you say, and then being able to basically design your own monster with sandbox powers. Changeling also works kinda like that.

If we do look on what monsters are missing, I'd say it's zombies, dedicated sea monsters, aliens, and kaiju.
              Zombies are a definite no go. They're supposed to be mindless hordes and definitely upsetting the status quo/masquerade. You'd need to change both of those things and then you'd end up with something unrecognizable from popular zombies, and possibly encroaching on Vampire, Geist or Deviant, depending on the route you take.
              Sea monsters is such a broad concept with no universal themes to expand upon. If they do crop up in the future, it's because Onyx Path started around a theme and sea monsters happened to be something that would support that theme. Starting in the other direction would most likely end up with a directionless splat with not much going on for it, or immense scaling down from sea monsters to a very specific type of sea monster (like both fan games I'm aware of).
              Aliens are a no go. There would be so many contrivances to explain why there's still a masquerade, and so much backstory to explain since you'd have to start with a whole new civilisation developing independently from humanity (instead of along it) and reasons for them to interact with humans. CofD is also very human-centric, meaning you'd probably play something like an alien in human form, either hiding among humans à la Demon or learning to become human yourself à la Promethean.
              Sea monsters and aliens would also encroach on Onyx Path's new and company owned IP, They Came From Beneath the Sea. It would be a bad business practice to develop a licensed product that could be confused with or compete with their own product.
              Kaiju are a definite no go. They naturally have the masquerade problem of zombies above, and they're not human-centric to be playable without changing a vital aspect of what they are. You could turn them into transforming creatures similar to some Deviants, or you could take the Beast route of not having them physically be kaiju, but then why make a kaiju game at all? And the last problem is that the Storytelling System neither has rules for Size differences nor have much potential for a Size difference system that would work well. "But Leviathan..." Leviathan's Size system is both clunky and not particularly good either, sorry to say.

Quick sideline: Changing Breeds wouldn't work as a major splat because animal shapeshifters would naturally encroach on Werewolf regardless of how you do them, and having multiple types of shapeshifting breeds would either requiring dumbing down the different breeds to fit a single mold (which would seriously hamper their identities) or developing what's basically multiple different games in a single book, which is too ambitious if you want full splats out of them. No, I think Changing Breeds have a lot of promise should they update it as a supplement for 2e with separate focus as 3-4 different minor splats with their own rules and themes. That would put really interesting animal shapeshifters into CofD with strong identities so they actually feel like they have a place in the setting. Perhaps not as much polish and material as werewolves, but strong enough to feel like they're no longer watered down, bootleg werewolves.
              Last edited by Tessie; 05-30-2019, 05:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Quick sideline: Changing Breeds wouldn't work as a major splat because animal shapeshifters would naturally encroach on Werewolf regardless of how you do them, and having multiple types of shapeshifting breeds would either requiring dumbing down the different breeds to fit a single mold (which would seriously hamper their identities) or developing what's basically multiple different games in a single book, which is too ambitious if you want full splats out of them. No, I think Changing Breeds have a lot of promise should they update it as a supplement for 2e with separate focus as 3-4 different minor splats with their own rules and themes. That would put really interesting animal shapeshifters into CofD with strong identities so they actually feel like they have a place in the setting. Perhaps not as much polish and material as werewolves, but strong enough to feel like they're no longer watered down, bootleg werewolves.
                I disagree with that. Werewolf refers in general to four macro-myths. In addition to werewolves, myths of semi-spiritual beings or spirits acting in nature (such as Manitous and American creatures), curses (such as Wendigos and werewolves' condition are notorious for overcoming a Social Taboo) and lycanthropy.

The Game does not talk about Great Beasts and Natural Shapes. Every metamorphosis in the game is a spiritual condition of something outside of the flesh or in its antagonists as magical rites, contacts with spirits or experiments of replication. And we always talk about a human being (at least in part) who was raised as such.

Most of the legends of Shapeshifters in the world do not speak of things of spiritual origin or that they were born human. But Big Animals or Animals that have gained the ability to emulate human cunning and take its form, but never cease to be an animal.

And this is as close to Werewolf as Vampire is near Geist. There is more than one game for the dead (there are four). There is room for more than one game for metaphor. And about werebears being different enough from Werecats this would only make sense if we did not have a game that puts Trolls and Leprechauns as the same supernatural being within the same game.

Sideline - I never understood Kaiju's appeal as a game. The thing is clearly an antagonistic crypto, and that it is not even usable for supernatural zones that are minimally close to mundane reality. And about Aliens, it seems to me that we are going to have Deviants as antagonists at some point, they would also work as Contagion, again as antagonists.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
                  Maybe the devs will like something and want to make it cannon.
                  Oh, sweet summer child.

Comment

On Zombies there is a Material that can turn game. The Preta that exist one of the six circles according to the Buddhism. And I'm glad that in English I can name the creature. In Portuguese I modify for Peta because Black has another meaning.

Sea creatures if treated as in Pirates of the Caribs is Geist. And Dave Jones is a very clear Geist (a Supplement on Dead in the Sea could be interesting, because legends have always given the Local Reapers and Psychomotropes a very different Nature and this in legends within the same culture).

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                      I disagree with that. Werewolf refers in general to four macro-myths. In addition to werewolves, myths of semi-spiritual beings or spirits acting in nature (such as Manitous and American creatures), curses (such as Wendigos and werewolves' condition are notorious for overcoming a Social Taboo) and lycanthropy.

The Game does not talk about Great Beasts and Natural Shapes. Every metamorphosis in the game is a spiritual condition of something outside of the flesh or in its antagonists as magical rites, contacts with spirits or experiments of replication. And we always talk about a human being (at least in part) who was raised as such.

Most of the legends of Shapeshifters in the world do not speak of things of spiritual origin or that they were born human. But Big Animals or Animals that have gained the ability to emulate human cunning and take its form, but never cease to be an animal.

And this is as close to Werewolf as Vampire is near Geist. There is more than one game for the dead (there are four). There is room for more than one game for metaphor. And about werebears being different enough from Werecats this would only make sense if we did not have a game that puts Trolls and Leprechauns as the same supernatural being within the same game.
                      What exactly are you disagreeing on? I packed quite a few points into the paragraph you're quoting, so you need to be more specific. If it's just about there already being a game about animal shapeshifters, remember that OPP needs to earn money. Just because it's possible to take the concept 'animal shapeshifters' into wildly different territories with no overlap (aside from the obvious) doesn't mean it's economically a feasible idea because those two products would potentially end up competing for the same customers who might only want to play an animal shapeshifter. Also, werewolves are by far more popular.

As for the games where you play the undead, the different types of undead are much more distinct in popular thought. If someone ignorant to CofD would look at the titles and blurbs on the covers they'd quickly realise that those are very different games. If the same person would see Werewolf: The Forsaken and Werecat: The Whatever, the natural thought would be that they're splatbooks for the same game, like the Clan books for VtM/VtR, rather than two very different games that happen to share a setting.

Then there's also the fact that Changing Breeds are already established as parts of the spiritual and werewolfy part of the setting cosmology due to the 1e book. The themes of a 2e update might be very different and potentially great anyway, but it doesn't make them marketable as separate games and thus not something I think OPP would be interested in as anything other than a supplement.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

But I've thought of something to make the product viable commercially that summary in two words. Aztec Mythology. Mummy sold because of those interested in Egyptian mythology and the Aztec mythology are not more popular at least it is as popular as. For example, I speak Nahual better than I speak English.

Penny Dreaful's Spin Off will have this as one of the themes.
                        Last edited by Ben Linus; 05-31-2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Tulpa: The Urban Myths about playing Tulpas that arise from Urban Myths.

Eryrines: The Fury about Furies, demigods, that rise from Hades (which like Deut is not the "Underworld"), to punish certain transgressions. I'm not sure how the Furies aquire bodies, I'd not want it to step on toes of Mummy, Geist, or Vampire.
                          Last edited by Omegaphallic; 06-01-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                            I think there is very little that is not covered.

Maybe Contagion get into a line of major threats that become a line of its own (and that includes things like Hell with Ariman and all, Cthulhu, Aliens type War of the Worlds and Multiverse).

Other than that, changing Breeds deserved to become a Major Template (based on Aztec mythology and its suns / eras of humanity being this the third, animals that have seen people or humans keep the spirit until a certain generation, lord of the flies with inversion on the principle of the means hostile and Darwinian and Lamarckian evolutionaryism, it is clear that specific splats can be worth of other cultures and be kind of universal, but the basis being that).

Something from the lower Buddhist Kingdoms (Jigokudō, Gakido Chikushōdō including Indian and Chinese variations that have serveras mythological differences as splats).

And just. Everything else fits the current lines (and even they do not need so much stuff like that).

It is not popular but a book with creature hacks is something that interests me much more than putting up absurd scenarios (like mascara fell or we live a cyberpunk high magic). Each creature fits two very interesting hacks. Other than that I would like to see an Translate Guide for Changeling.

And the impossible. An officialization of Princess.
                            The way I'd deal with Changing Breeds is to break them up, different breeds have different origins, and no universal feral culture.

The Bastet Breeds could have origins stories linked to Bastet with related themes.

The Land Titans would have their own seperate history and themes.

And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

What exactly are you disagreeing on? I packed quite a few points into the paragraph you're quoting, so you need to be more specific. If it's just about there already being a game about animal shapeshifters, remember that OPP needs to earn money. Just because it's possible to take the concept 'animal shapeshifters' into wildly different territories with no overlap (aside from the obvious) doesn't mean it's economically a feasible idea because those two products would potentially end up competing for the same customers who might only want to play an animal shapeshifter. Also, werewolves are by far more popular.

As for the games where you play the undead, the different types of undead are much more distinct in popular thought. If someone ignorant to CofD would look at the titles and blurbs on the covers they'd quickly realise that those are very different games. If the same person would see Werewolf: The Forsaken and Werecat: The Whatever, the natural thought would be that they're splatbooks for the same game, like the Clan books for VtM/VtR, rather than two very different games that happen to share a setting.

Then there's also the fact that Changing Breeds are already established as parts of the spiritual and werewolfy part of the setting cosmology due to the 1e book. The themes of a 2e update might be very different and potentially great anyway, but it doesn't make them marketable as separate games and thus not something I think OPP would be interested in as anything other than a supplement.
                              If you could find a new type of horror to explore they might.

Comment

Working...
                              X