How do you handle Conditions & Tilts ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13th Hour
    started a topic How do you handle Conditions & Tilts ?

How do you handle Conditions & Tilts ?

Hello everyone,

I've played a lot of Cod with the 1st edition. And lately, I'm lurking to updating my rule book towards the 2nd edition - some may say about time

I have a little issue about conditions & tilts...
    They seem to be a big part of the rule updates. I feel like I should learn them all to be able to apply them at the proper time in game.
    It seems to add a layer of complexity to the games.

But as everyone seems to be quite happy about it. I think I've tacle the issue on the wrong side.

So, I'm wondering how you've taken in account, in your game the conditions & tilts system ?
    Share your insight !

• Mateus
    replied
    Originally posted by 13th Hour View Post
    I have some more work to do.
    As most of my players don't think they are good enough in English to understand the conditions, I'll have to translate them as well.
    I've been there! What I have done is plan conditions based on the scenes and possible outcomes. Allows you to translate the premade ones in phases so as to not exhaust yourself and gives you and your players a chance to learn about conditions before bringing them all in or using custom ones.

Speaking of custom ones, someone on this lovely forum once suggested the practice of writing up conditions based on day to day activities or people in a journal. That practice would help with thinking up accurate conditions on the fly.

Leave a comment:

• 13th Hour
    replied
    I have some more work to do.
    As most of my players don't think they are good enough in English to understand the conditions, I'll have to translate them as well.

Leave a comment:

• ElvesofZion
    replied
    Index cards is usually what they are called. Flash cards implies there is stuff printed on them to use to memorize things.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet Witch
    replied
    Originally posted by endou_kenji View Post

what do you mean by flash cards?
    Y'know, blank cards from the school supply aisle at the store. You write notes on them. Reference cards. They're cheap.

Leave a comment:

• endou_kenji
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
    They do sell condition cards but flash cards would work just as well.

The most interesting thing about conditions, if you didn't know yet, is that they award beats (fractions of xp) for clearing them. So you can get stronger from facing adverse conditions/debuffs basically. Cool right?
    what do you mean by flash cards?

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet Witch
    replied
    They do sell condition cards but flash cards would work just as well.

The most interesting thing about conditions, if you didn't know yet, is that they award beats (fractions of xp) for clearing them. So you can get stronger from facing adverse conditions/debuffs basically. Cool right?

Leave a comment:

• endou_kenji
    replied
    I wondered that myself... what I'm really inclined to do is to have them printed on cards to hand out, and to handle the improvisational ones, giving them the same treatment as Aspects in Fate: writing them on a post-it and hading it out to the player.

Leave a comment:

• saibot
    replied
    Remembering a handful of reocurring Conditions is good, but otherwise just make up fitting Conditions on the spot as per the rules for Custom Conditions. Do not sweat always applying exactly the right Condition. As long as the mechanical effect meaningfully impacts the game and there are relatively clear ways to resolve the Condition, it is fine. In fact you will find that in different game lines very similar Conditions have been stated up in different ways. Partially this accounts for the different focuses of the games, partially that is just the individual writers ideas or tastes differing.

Tilts usually only come up when the environment dictates it or a character does a specific thing to invoke them, so you rarely have to come up with them on the spot. Environmental Tilts especially are just really fancy names for things you probably already did when accounting for the environment when calculating bonuses and penalties. Personal Tilts simply give precise rules for states-of-being most RPGs, including 1e, already had, just packing them into one specific mechanical category.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X