X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archivist
    started a topic CoD Sandboxing Guide

CoD Sandboxing Guide

Is there any official or unofficial guide that gets real concrete on how to build your game as a sandbox?

• elzopilote
    replied
    I would love to see 2e versions of Damnation City and Territories, similar books for Mage and Changeling would be great. I think one thing that could be "new" for sandboxing is moving out to a wider regional scale - thinking for Werewolf of territories based around watersheds, ecotones, highway-linked urban corridors, etc. and both Mage and Changeling could be aided in having a guide to connecting freeholds, consilia, etc. through shared history/rivalry/rites.

I think a good hex crawl system is always good for "sandbox" games too.

Leave a comment:

• Basic
    replied
    I've been doing this for around 5 years lol Also funny you use the name I use on discord lol.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Angry GM has some really good advice for plotting various types of stories and games. He does come off a bit confrontational but it's usually just in the intro paragraphs before he gets down to the meat of things.

Leave a comment:

• Archivist
    replied
    Yes, I just skimmed the books, and they do have what I'm looking for.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Archivist View Post
    Great, thanks. I still think that it would be great to have a book on a topic. I just meant instead of me plotting out today's adventure (even as a situation), there's just a conceptual play space with lots of stuff going on, NPC's with motivations, and events, and then players react to it.
    That is what most of the books do already, but they lean towards you already having a story, or offering options that play to the characters Aspirations. If you look at something like the Chicago book, it is what you are talking about, but it's implied that the characters will come into it with their own motivations (usually focused by gameline, x and y splat). That way they don't have to keep running into characters or events until they find a story that's relevant to them (and their aspirations).

Leave a comment:

• Archivist
    replied
    Great, thanks. I still think that it would be great to have a book on a topic. I just meant instead of me plotting out today's adventure (even as a situation), there's just a conceptual play space with lots of stuff going on, NPC's with motivations, and events, and then players react to it.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Territories and Damnation City and Block by Bloody Block tell you how to basically build an area and fill it with plot hooks, and there's a variety of threads on the matter. With the focal point of the games being storytelling, however, having a random sandbox is sort of a side interest. Especially since in most cases progression isn't built upon the completion of side quests, and consequences for actions aren't meant to be as easy to dodge as going into your local Forgive and Forget franchise and having yourself scoured of repercussions for a simple fee.

That said, you might benefit from describing more specifically what you want. As the AngryGM points out, "The problem – as always – is that sandbox is a nebulous term and everyone THINKS they know what it means but everyone actually has a different f$&%ing definition. And that makes it hard to discuss. The problem is that sandbox speaks about the structure of a game, and game structure is something that’s on a spectrum." He's done a few articles on sandboxes and what people think are sandboxes, I imagine as a GM advice blogger he's not alone.
    Last edited by nofather; 07-06-2019, 11:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X