Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy 15th anniversary to the Chronicles Of Darkness!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Happy 15th anniversary to the Chronicles Of Darkness!

    The original The World Of Darkness core rules and Vampire: The Requiem first edition launched August 21st, 2004. Since then it's moved to a second edition, become Chronicles Of Darkness, and gained numerous game lines.

    Speaking personally, I've run Chronicles, Vampire, Demon: The Descent and still have quite a few on my to-do list.


    Craig Oxbrow
    The Trinity Continuum freelancer

  • #2
    I think I've played all of them except Geist. And I've been in more Vampire than I should probably admit...



    Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

    VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Podcast: The Breakup

    Comment


    • #3
      Huzzah for anniversaries~

      As for me, I've been in a bit of 1e Geist, a couple 2e Changeling, a few Demon and a little bit of 2e Vampire and Promethean. I'm hoping to play more Demon or Changeling in the future.

      Comment


      • #4
        Was surprised to see it was so long. Lets see. I've probably run and played in mortals games the most. We had a lot of idea for monster hunter types well before the Vigil came out, so we did a lot of improvisation. But, we run really long games, so we've probably run Vampire or Werewolf the longest.

        Of all the games we've played Mortals, Vampire the Requiem, Werewolf the Forsaken, Mage the Awakening, Geist the Sin-Eaters (gearing up for the first 2e game at the moment, we're backers), and Hunter the Vigil.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nofather View Post
          Was surprised to see it was so long.
          It just occurred to me that CofD occupied the entirety of my 20s, which makes me feel immensely old.

          I got into it when it'd only been out a couple years, but I felt like a Johnny-come-lately for a long time because I'd missed the original WoD. Now I like to think I was on the ground floor.



          Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

          VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
          Podcast: The Breakup

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

            It just occurred to me that CofD occupied the entirety of my 20s, which makes me feel immensely old.

            I got into it when it'd only been out a couple years, but I felt like a Johnny-come-lately for a long time because I'd missed the original WoD. Now I like to think I was on the ground floor.
            I've probably been playing it for just under ten years at this point, so you've got me beat! My first forays were into Leviathan and Genius because... well, I was poor and couldn't justify purchasing more than the core rules, so free fan games were the way to go. Both campaigns fizzled relatively early on, and I was very new to GMing games at the time. Since then I've been much more successful, having started and finished full campaigns for:

            Changeling
            Mummy (twice, if you count the Deceived game I ran)
            Demon
            Mortals (using the Dark Era rules for Sekhem Sorcerers)
            Promethean

            And now I'm currently running Werewolf. I struggle to see myself running Mage or Beast, though I occasionally toy with random ideas for them, but that still leaves Geist and Hunter to go at the very least

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm kind of a slacker here. I've played and run multiple Changeling campaigns, been in three Mage games, and then one Hunter campaign. I've read the others and am interested in Mummy quite a bit, but oddly I've never been a big fan of playing vampires...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                I got into it when it'd only been out a couple years, but I felt like a Johnny-come-lately for a long time because I'd missed the original WoD. Now I like to think I was on the ground floor.
                I had known of and followed the old World of Darkness stuff for a while before that, I thought it was interesting but never saw anything I wanted to actually play or run. I think the first game I ran was Vampire the Requiem, leaning heavily on the Chicago setting (none of us had ever been there so it was a nice 'neutral' spot) and some trips to a Silent Hill-like town with some things that would be, later on, Prometheans.

                As much as I enjoyed getting in on the 'ground floor' I really just liked having things I wanted to play, all those bloodlines at the time and, later, Werewolf (which is now my favorite line) were super fun, but I think I've used a lot of blue book stuff in all the games we've played.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nofather View Post

                  I had known of and followed the old World of Darkness stuff for a while before that, I thought it was interesting but never saw anything I wanted to actually play or run. I think the first game I ran was Vampire the Requiem, leaning heavily on the Chicago setting (none of us had ever been there so it was a nice 'neutral' spot) and some trips to a Silent Hill-like town with some things that would be, later on, Prometheans.

                  As much as I enjoyed getting in on the 'ground floor' I really just liked having things I wanted to play, all those bloodlines at the time and, later, Werewolf (which is now my favorite line) were super fun, but I think I've used a lot of blue book stuff in all the games we've played.
                  My first actual WoD RPG was Requiem, but it only lasted a session or two. I played a Ventrue Carthian, who I was sad didn't really get to do anything. Many months later I was in a fairly lengthy Masquerade chronicle run by the same ST. Because I was new to the whole Vampire thing, and didn't understand that there were two different versions, I was very confused about where the Carthians were whilst my Caitiff character was running around in the Sabbat...

                  That Masquerade game was the gateway drug, but I really fell hard for Requiem once I got a chance to actually play it. I'm big into the Masquerade lore, but I find the world of Requiem more engaging to play in and build around. It has an air of mystery and spookiness that Masquerade eschews in favor of its gothic punk/apocalyptic aesthetic. Now that I've had a chance to write for Requiem, it's really cemented that preference. Not to say I'm done with Masquerade (I don't think it's done with me), but I know which I'd choose for desert island RPG.



                  Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

                  VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                  Podcast: The Breakup

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Primarily for me it has been Changeling, Demon and Werewolf. Loved every moment of it; hoping to play more as time goes on.

                    I still remember sitting,awe-struck, reading and re-reading "Voice of the Angel" back in 2004


                    "The phrase 'flies on the heads of pins' appeared 43 times in that journal, sometimes in the middle of sentences or written in the margins."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post
                      The original The World Of Darkness core rules and Vampire: The Requiem first edition launched August 21st, 2004. Since then it's moved to a second edition, become Chronicles Of Darkness, and gained numerous game lines.

                      Speaking personally, I've run Chronicles, Vampire, Demon: The Descent and still have quite a few on my to-do list.
                      Wow, I can't believe it's been 15 years!

                      Played and ran primarily VtR with some WtF, MtA and mortals thrown in.

                      One of the most memorable games I played in my buddy said we are using CoD for a loose fitting Warhammer 40K space opera and it was amazing. Space Werewolves with chain swords. Ya

                      One of the most memorable games I ran was a VtR game set in a fantasy city similar to Greyhawk (D&D) so like a high fantasy Vampire the Dark Ages using VtR rules. No getting ready to revamp that game using Storypath rules for VtR.

                      I find Mage one of the hardest games to run, it takes a special table of players and storyteller to really have a great Mage game, in my opinion.

                      Best regards
                      Last edited by Graylion; 08-25-2019, 10:58 AM.



                      Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                      Current Focus
                      Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                      Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've played mostly Hunter, even though in general I haven't played a lot of CofD (there was a loooooong break in playing RPG, as I had to find new friends which are still interested in playing). Still, I do love writing things for CofD- again, especially material for Hunter, but Vampire also has a warm place in my heart...

                        That reminds me I should finish my STV material. If you'll excuse me... :P


                        My Homebrew Signature

                        "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                        I now blog in here

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X