No announcement yet.

Deviant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only a shell of an idea; it needs a lot of fleshing out, as it were. That's where I'm hoping this latest Stretch Goal will be able to help.

(In true metaphysics-agnostic fashion, I suspect that if Clades Companion uses cyberspace as an example for what the Coactives section can do, it won't explicitly tie it to the God-Machine the way my proposed Heaven does.)
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-25-2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evil Midnight Lurker View Post
      So let's take a stab at a few subjects, starting with the obvious...

Bruce Banner is a Self-Made Pathological Mutant with Alternate Personas.
      May depend on which version; Dave B. tagged him as Coactive, which fits the comics.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Originally posted by marin View Post

May depend on which version; Dave B. tagged him as Coactive, which fits the comics.

Especially the more horror-oriented current run (The Immortal Hulk) where Gamma-powered beings are explicitly linked to hell, the Hulk can only manifest at night, and Banner can die but the Hulk can't, so he resurrects at sundown whenever he's killed.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

• I'm curious why raising Variations to match worsening Scars is free, while you have to pay Experiences to entangle new ones.

Comment

• Fun fact; the most recent stretch goal announced is equally useful for Werewolf, Mage, Geist and Demon.

You know the part where it gives guidelines for creating Numina.

Though to be fair, the parallel worlds described do also sound applicable to Mages and Demons.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Could you make Worm with it? And sadly I don’t think I will be able to Back it.

My mom just got a new job because at her old job she got a new Boss who is a Bitch.

And if mom could take care of me when I was little , plus growing up as the youngest of 7 siblings, she has a high tolerance for Bitch.
              Last edited by Konradleijon; 09-26-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                I'm curious why raising Variations to match worsening Scars is free, while you have to pay Experiences to entangle new ones.
                In essence, because you've already purchased the Variation. This fits the inspirational media, wherein a character gets really frustrated/angry/desperate, and suddenly they become more powerful but are left forever changed by that increased power (and not in a good way).

Yes, this means that if you pick low-Magnitude Scars during character creation, you can really leverage Instability to raise the Magnitude of those Scars in play without spending Experiences. However, it's worth noting that the temptation to purchase or increase the Magnitude of Variations sets up a bit of a slippery slope, since it doesn't work the other way (you can't later reduce a Variation's/Scar's Magnitude or eliminate it). Even if you're diligent about clearing Instability (and so aren't worried about the End Stage Condition), you can still get epically fucked up by getting more/worse Scars in order to support more and/or more powerful Variations.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Trying to grok instability and I have a few questions. Let's say I have two mag 5 Variation and two mag 5 Scars and one untangled mag 1 scar.

Now say I have two moderate instability in my rightmost boxes. I know that's a -2 penalty on resistance rolls but the +1 magnitude to a scar confuses me. Can I have a Scar magnitude above 5? Can I elect to put both +1 magnitude on my untangled scar and if I can how does that impact me? If I didn't have the untangled scar would I gain a temporary one?
                  Last edited by yrtalien; 09-26-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yrtalien View Post
                    Trying to grok instability and I have a question. Let's say I have two mag 5 Variation and two mag 5 Scars and one untangled mag 1 scar.

Now say I have two moderate instability in my rightmost boxes. I know that's a -2 penalty on resistance rolls but the +1 magnitude to a scar confuses me. Can I have a Scar magnitude above 5? Can I elect to put both +1 magnitude on my untangled scar and if I can how does that impact me? If I didn't have the untangled scar would I gain a temporary one?
                    You cannot have a Scar or Variation above Magnitude 5. You would have to put both Magnitudes on the unentangled Scar because your entangled Scars are both already at Magnitude 5. Even if you did not have any Scars that could accept the additional Magnitudes you would not gain a new temporary Scar unless you gained a Major Instability, at which point I believe you would apply the additional Magnitudes from the Medium Instability to it.

Comment

• From my understanding after reading yesterday (I don't have the preview in front of me).
                      Originally posted by yrtalien View Post
                      Can I have a Scar magnitude above 5?
                      No, never. Not from Deviations, and not from Instability.

Originally posted by yrtalien View Post
                      Can I elect to put both +1 magnitude on my untangled scar
                      Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Brazier View Post
                        Now, you couldn't rationalize a Self-Made Exomorph. Unwilling victims of a deliberate Divergence must have a Progenitor other than themselves.
                        Another one Unwilling Self-Made Dave pointed out in the Kickstarter comments was Total Recall. Definitely less common to have that combination, but still totally doable.

Edit: And actually, while many would say he's Autourgic or Epimorph, you could also argue Tony Stark is a Self-Made Exomorph Invasive/ He's forced by circumstance and his captors to wield the arc reactor into himself, but it is absolutely not a circumstance he wants to be in, even if he embraces it after the fact.
                        Last edited by Second Chances; 09-26-2019, 01:02 PM.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
                          And they also earn Beats whenever a Scar creates a complication for them (or their cohort) during a scene
                          Is that in addition to the “Take a Beat to have this Scar manifest in some narrative way” that the first Magnitude usually is?

Comment

• It would be kind of funny if a lot of the old legends about werewolves actually came from a Chimeric with the Transmissible Form stomping around medieval Europe .

Also, what a character idea that one inspires! Combine it with the Living Progenitor Merit for a really tumultuous relationship. Sometimes you're hunting down Conspiracies with the person who broke your soul, other times you've got your claws around their throat for what they did.

Comment

• That reminds me: I've got a Renegade I want to play. An Invasive with Transmissible Form who is basically a T-1000, except he can infect others with his nanotech to gradually turn them into others like himself (the nanotech slowly consumes its victim, replacing flesh and blood with more nanotech until the victim becomes another “liquid metal robot”). When everything goes “right”, the “child” has all of the memories of its “host”, but has a personality that it inherited from its Progenitor. In my character's case, something went wrong and the personality download got corrupted. Unfortunately, so did the digestion of the host's memories: at the start of the chronicle, this guy is an amnesiac.

And while he may want “his” memories back, it turns out that that's not to be: there's an entanglement between his memories and the invading personality. It's because of his amnesia that he has agency, and isn't just another drone in his Progenitor's gradually growing conspiracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

Is that in addition to the “Take a Beat to have this Scar manifest in some narrative way” that the first Magnitude usually is?

I believe it's the same thing; you only get one beat from a scar per scene (per the one beat per "category" rule). The mag 1 scars are a choice on your part to accept getting hosed by a scar for a beat. You can take a narrative fall for a beat at a higher mag, but the mechanical downsides are likely to cause problems directly as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X