Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tessie
    replied
    It is far too easy to set up Scars that are drawbacks in name only. Especially Relentless Variation and Involuntary Stimulus can be cheesed to be basically meaningless. The former on Monstrous Transformation (aka Hybrid Form) and Conspicuous Appearance means you're getting the drawbacks of looking like a monster while using a Variation that makes you look like a monster, and the latter can way too easily be set to trigger in situations where you want it to be triggered. Consider putting a Lash on Involuntary Stimulus where the stimulus is fear, and suddenly the Scar works in your favour because it reflexively activates your Lash for you whenever you enter combat.
    Both examples are not entirely without drawbacks, but they're by far much less potent than intended. When designing a Deviant it's really up to you how punishing you want the Scars to be. Five dot Scars are absolutely devastating, to the point where I can't see why anyone would want take some of them, but you could just as easily use Standard Deviations to bring it down to two lenient Scars at two and three dots for your massive five dot Variation.
    Hell, there's even a side bar in the Scars section (or used to, in the KS manuscript) that basically says "yeah, you can totally make broken combinations but please don't".
    Last edited by Tessie; 02-22-2021, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    I know and love the unspoken agreement around the game to not min-max, but... Idk, I wonder if minmaxing would be that bad in Deviant. It feels like Deviants really put the min in min-max. To get the maximum power from Variations for one set of activities means often taking Scars that make everything else a nightmare. Want to be an unkillable killing machine? Sure thing. Good luck interacting with Touchstones outside of murder. and so on. I mean, you could cheese it somehow, like a set of Scars that requires rare materials or procedures but you took Resources 5 and bully your ST into letting that trivialize getting expensive and rare goods and services. Or some other way I don't know. But it generally feels like an internally balanced game

EDIT: another "exploit" that no sane ST would allow. Hidden Compartments Variation that allows you to pull out the stuff necessary to deal with your Five-Dot Maintenance Scar on command
    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 02-22-2021, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    THUNDER Agents had a similar notion of powered heroes who were slowly being destroyed by their powers.

Leave a comment:

• Rester
    replied
    Just had the thought at how Deviant would be a great fit, mechanically if not entirely thematically, with Strikeforce: Morituri. Strikeforce: Morituri was a cult superteam book from the mid-eighties about super powered heroes in a future Earth that had been invaded by an alien race called the Horde. However the strange process that gave the superheroes their powers could eventually kill them, often in spectacular fashion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce:_Morituri
    Last edited by Rester; 02-11-2021, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    Has the errata phase ended already for Deviant? I've been continuing to pick up bits of errata here and there but when I tried to open the submission form recently it said it was closed.

(I may have just answered my own question.)

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeremysbrain View Post
    So when is Deviant going to get its own subforum like the rest of the games?
    Slightly more detailed answer was given here:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/g...18012-no-https

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    You know how one of the things that the stretch goals unlocked were devices for deviants? Stuff that isn't just useful, but also flawed, kind of like the deviants themselves? Well, that's kind of like what the Onyx path forums are like. Something broke a while back, and they haven't been able to fix it. And that brokenness prevents them from adding new forums.

So we won't be getting a Deviant forum in the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremysbrain
    replied
    So when is Deviant going to get its own subforum like the rest of the games?

Leave a comment:

• Lykas
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    You should get access to thenPDF now through BackerKit.
    yeah I did

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    You should get access to thenPDF now through BackerKit.

Leave a comment:

• Lykas
    replied
    Can anybody tell me, if I "pre order" the pdf, do I get acces to the pdf now or have i wait until the final release?

Leave a comment:

• Shinsoryuu
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    No, much as they don't count toward your proportion of Clade Variations. Monstrous Transformation functionally allows you to activate multiple Variations entangled with the same Scar as a single Overt action and does nothing else; a Magnitude 5 Monstrous Transformation is not actually eight or nine Magnitude of Variations for the purposes of Threat Level if you don't fill it with Magnitude 1 Variations.

Thanks for the clarification!

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Shinsoryuu View Post
    I've been reading my backer's copy of Deviant: The Renegades, and I have a question about the "Monstrous Transformation" Variation.

The text mentions that when you purchase "Monstrous Transformation," the form possesses a number of Scar-free Variations. When selecting these Variations, do they count as part of the Magnitudes given to you during character creation?
    No, much as they don't count toward your proportion of Clade Variations. Monstrous Transformation functionally allows you to activate multiple Variations entangled with the same Scar as a single Overt action and does nothing else; a Magnitude 5 Monstrous Transformation is not actually eight or nine Magnitude of Variations for the purposes of Threat Level if you don't fill it with Magnitude 1 Variations.

Leave a comment:

• Shinsoryuu
    replied
    I've been reading my backer's copy of Deviant: The Renegades, and I have a question about the "Monstrous Transformation" Variation.

The text mentions that when you purchase "Monstrous Transformation," the form possesses a number of Scar-free Variations. When selecting these Variations, do they count as part of the Magnitudes given to you during character creation?

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Satchel Tessie The MG thank you. I'm sorry for the odd question, I just have trouble visualizing the Cephalist Clade

Leave a comment:

Working...
X