God-Machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God-Machine

So is the God-Machine still a core thing for the new, that is second edition, of Chronicles of Darkness? I ask because I own the God-Machine Chronicles book and, well, hated it. (as I have been spending more time in the Trinity section than in CoD I am not sure anymore.)

*eyes trend*

Anyways, It's a thing that exists and be used or disused at your leisure. If you're asking if the God-machine is mandatory for the setting or mechanics, integral in some way, the answer is no-though games of Demon: The Descent are structured around some kind of omnipresent watcher antagonist to Fall from, so if you go at that game, you have some terminology conversions to perform.

And condensing some of the other conversations, no, the Strix are not mandatory either.

Also, this has always been the case from the release of the books concerned.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I'll be honest man, this is starting to turn into a laundry list of "Why I hate Chronicles of Darkness 2e" and it's getting...silly, to say the least.

Comment

I don't see how asking if more recent books contain a particular topic is in anyway silly, especially considering the fact that I own the books I am referencing. The posts are also linked by location - this one in core and the vampire one in vampire. Why would I ask a vampire question in the core forums.

I wanted to know if the current crop of 2e still consider the God-Machine a core element of things. I typed in 'God-Machine' in the search but got nothing. Hence my question.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

I'll be honest man, this is starting to turn into a laundry list of "Why I hate Chronicles of Darkness 2e" and it's getting...silly, to say the least.
          I'm also not a fan of the fact that I have seen this sort of shit before.

Like, benefit of the doubt, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Anyways.

Look, at a minimum, if there are more of these sorts of questions, can we get a "Have [X] Things changed since [Y]?" thread and just kind of, you know, knock it all out in one go?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

The God-Machine is present outside of the God-Machine Chronicles and Demon: the Descent about as much as Changeling's Hedge or Geist's Underworld is. The Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook which has effectively supplanted the role of the GMC book contains most of the text of the GMC book as a separate latter half of the book dedicated to those games that might wish to use the God-Machine as a signature running antagonist. The first half of the book provides complete rules and Storytelling advice for playing mortal games of any typical stripe, including rules for generating miscellaneous monsters and supernatural beings unrelated to any particular supernatural source.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
              I wanted to know if the current crop of 2e still consider the God-Machine a core element of things. I typed in 'God-Machine' in the search but got nothing. Hence my question.
              Third result.

This line of inquiry was questionably sincere when people were doing it five years ago and it has not gotten more endearing with time.

Basic exercise of critical thinking and a look at the book listings on Wikipedia and/or DTRPG is all you need to be able to figure out that the universal setting of a horror RPG franchise is not going to settle on a big unified answer that applies equally to every gameline past its use as a narrative widget for the edition-shift document preceding the introduction of the gameline where you play the rogue servitors of that entity. The God-Machine is a big and influential system-being, but its weight in Changeling or Werewolf is not assumed omnipresent just because the Revised Storytelling System mechanics were where its angels were formally introduced.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                The God-Machine is present outside of the God-Machine Chronicles and Demon: the Descent about as much as Changeling's Hedge or Geist's Underworld is. The Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook which has effectively supplanted the role of the GMC book contains most of the text of the GMC book as a separate latter half of the book dedicated to those games that might wish to use the God-Machine as a signature running antagonist. The first half of the book provides complete rules and Storytelling advice for playing mortal games of any typical stripe, including rules for generating miscellaneous monsters and supernatural beings unrelated to any particular supernatural source.
                Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. I got the 2e Core when it was the God-Machine Chronicles and not the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook and that was a few years ago now. While obviously the individual lines have their own plots I didn't keep track of whether God Machine was still the generic setting element, that is being written about heavily in other non-splat specific books.

Comment

Well to be honest this site's search tools are not...great for that.

Anyways, between this and your other thread, I do feel like you're missing the point of why the elements like the God-Machine and the strix are a thing. They're a kind of antagonist that PCs from whatever splats could team up and fight against, not the main antagonist that they can only fight.

Besides: it's not as if removing them utterly destroys the mechanical systems of each gameline. So if you don't want to use them, you're fine.

Comment

While obviously the individual lines have their own plots I didn't keep track of whether God Machine was still the generic setting element, that is being written about heavily in other non-splat specific books.
                    The God-Machine was never being written about heavily in other non-splat-specific books, nor was this ever the stated plan. This is a misunderstanding or miscommunication about what the "chronicle books" were supposed to be, probably made worse by the fact that the GMC and Demon were released in close succession, and that the then-owners of the nWoD intellectual property disallowed Onyx Path to release a full new corebook at the time, so the GMC just came out as a mechanical appendix and the God-Machine story content, because it was meant to sort of "bolt onto" the 1e World of Darkness Rulebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post

The God-Machine was never being written about heavily in other non-splat-specific books, nor was this ever the stated plan. This is a misunderstanding or miscommunication about what the "chronicle books" were supposed to be, probably made worse by the fact that the GMC and Demon were released in close succession, and that the then-owners of the nWoD intellectual property disallowed Onyx Path to release a full new corebook at the time, so the GMC just came out as a mechanical appendix and the God-Machine story content, because it was meant to sort of "bolt onto" the 1e World of Darkness Rulebook.
                      Ah, okay. Now that's good to know. See, while I knew some of what you say (for example, the whole then-owners not wanting a 2e core book produced at that moment) I didn't realize that the God-Machine Chronicles was basically just a 'hey, here is an idea that you might want to use!" rather than a "this is now the new baseline setting for the core book." It didn't help that for me basically it is the 2e core book, as that's the one I own and they said at the time if you own that you didn't need to buy the new (revised) Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook.

tasti man LH Like I said, I honestly thought that God-Machine was basically a core setting feature, one that new books were going to talk about. On Strix, I think my mind did the same thing, adding it to the setting as a new main focus rather than a potential source of ideas.

If you notice I didn't say anything about mechanics in this thread (that is others who said that). All I asked in both this and the other was whether what I thought was a core setting element was still a core setting element. I have no big issue with what 2e has done mechanically.
                      Last edited by LordHeru; 10-10-2019, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X