Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Princess: the Hopeful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Princess: the Hopeful?

Does it integrate well with the other Chronicles of Darkness games?

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

The best fanmade gameline next to Siren:The Drownings. Even if I don't integrate most of the time, I do make a reference here and there.

Comment

I love it.! I never actually played any tabletop RPG but a like the Lore

Comment

It's aight. It's one of the more solidly constructed fangames out there, with a lot of neat little hooks and evocative elements peppered throughout, enough to raise the more "meh" elements up with them. It sort of falls flat as a proper Chronicles-alike due to a number of dissonances regarding the ideas behind it's construction that keep it from meshing neatly with the feel of the rest of the world (the people who worked on it clearly didn't think of magical girls as monsters, it doesn't attempt to balance it's external horror with a sense of internal/personal horror, and while it clearly involves ambiguity and some things to question, at the core it's hard to maintain a mystery[a core feature and genre conceit of the rest of the setting] over a group of supernatural entities who you at least know at their core have their hearts pointed towards a "general good", stuff like that), but it's definitely solid enough and does open a lot of interesting stories to tell, in isolation or conjoined with the rest of the Chronicles world. There's definitely fun to be had with playing it or using it in other games.

I've got a personal soft spot for magical girls, so critical eye asides, I like it quite a fair bit.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

ArcaneArts thanks. I'll defo have to check it out.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

love princess Think its well written not sure how well it integrates though

it was Princess though that got me into Nwod/Chronicles of Darkness.

One thing I've been wonder recently though?

What happens when a DarkSpawn has a Umbra or Caligio that depends on conscious thought or use? Like that makes you a gifted liar or lockpick

Comment

@princeofthenight wow! You've got a lot of badges.

​I don't know the answer to your question, but I think having an Umbra that makes you a gifted liar would be very useful for a more socially-oriented DarkSpawn.

​Just a thought. I wonder if the Contagion from the Contagion Chronicle could be tied into the Darkness in some way.

Comment

Considering the Contagion is actually a series of contagions that can be created in accordance to your game, yes.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Thanks. I only read one small part of the Contagion Chronicle preview, but that makes sense.

Comment

From what I've seen the Darkness is a very dull and generic villain, it's history is very oWoD with the origin of princesses returning straight up being from "Changeling the Dreaming", and the power set is sort of bloated, and the tone doesn't feel very Chronicles of Darkness to me. I know some like it, but I'm personally not a big fan.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

What if you replaced the Darkness with the Dark One (Lucifer) from Second Sight and Inferno? You could do kind of like a feminist take on it.

Comment

I enjoy it. For me the straight up "Good vs Evil" feel of it actually is something I can live with in CoD since it's such a great contrast to the other gamelines.

Comment

what about the Caligae "Copycat Crime"? and a few others

think the Darkspawn are capable of this much strategy?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                            love princess Think its well written not sure how well it integrates though

it was Princess though that got me into Nwod/Chronicles of Darkness.

One thing I've been wonder recently though?

What happens when a DarkSpawn has a Umbra or Caligio that depends on conscious thought or use? Like that makes you a gifted liar or lockpick
                            Some Darkspawn are have a certain cunning. For example, the lockpick I would give to a goblin or gremlin like Darkspawn that liked to go into places and smash up machines. A gifted liar could be used for a darkspawn that's like a Psycho scourage or a L4D Witch - they can feign humanity well enough to get you to let your guard down.

Aside from the two openly destructive Twilight Courts, (Tear's hope draining and Storms 'burn the world to save the world' mentality), Princesses can be anti-heroic monsters. There's Mirrors from an outsider's point of view, rather than being a narcisstic, arrogant jerk, could be seen as brainwashing people into their cult of sorts. There's also a fan-made (but widely accepted, fan works have a solid acceptance in the PtH community) hunter supplement, and for various reasons, hunters have varying views. TFV, for example, sees Princesses as supernatural vigilantees at best, at worst agents of a foreign monarchy. Union may see potential allies to protect the neighborhood, or draw guns at the first sight of them because they had to clean up after a Tear's hope raid. Long Night could see them as gifts from heaven or as a particularly deluded type of witch. And even a Radiant might get on a Hunter's bad side when they break into their safe place to rescue a friend.

Comment

looked at hunters

By as agents of a foreign monarchy

Imagine how TFV Would feel if they learned of the reality of reincarnation?

That princesses could be born into any of the US's first families

basicly infiltrating them.

Comment

Working...
                              X