Infinite Macabre - To Darkly Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite Macabre - To Darkly Go

I've been in a space opera mood lately (blame the Picard trailer) and I've been thinking about combining it with horror (blame Outer Darkness). Which leads me back around to Infinite Macabre, one of the sci-fi shards we did for 1e.

There are really striking images in IM, including the Gates marked with pre-Atlantean runes, the Watchtowers waiting undiscovered on distant worlds, and vampire corsairs devouring their way through deep space. Chuck really gave space a haunted and sometimes grisly feel, and capturing that at a table would be awesome.

I think if I were going to do an update/sequel, I'd want to add more factions (from the Sworn of the Void to the Jeffersonian Movement), explore the role of the God-Machine in the wider cosmos (we already know about the relay in Sirius), and get into the gritty of starships (both space combat and their dreaded Pandora Drives).

I've written some notes and basic rules, but I'm still dialing in on an outline or a campaign pitch. The idea just won't let go...

...anybody else feeling this?

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
    Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Hell yes. If it ends up needing writers, let me know.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Definitely. The stuff I wrote on spirits of the Void Beyond and the cannibal dance of the planets and stars in Shunned by the Moon partly comes out of my general fascination with the intersection between horror and space as a creative canvas.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

I would love to see more of this content. I am new to CofD so I don't know much about 1e, what book was Infinite Macabre in?

Comment

Infinite Macabre is definitely one of my favorite supplements for World Of Darkness, such that I have wanted to run a game involving an updated version. To hear interest in that is really exciting. Admittedly that’s more for the scifi aspect than the horror, but more interest in this branch of the game is always great.

I have (on and off) been planning out an interstellar Agency of Demons, each of them with their own unique methods of getting around space in ways that (they hope) the God-Machine wouldn’t have a counter for. Stuff like using gadgets to allow faster than light travel for a spaceship, or creating stargate-like lambdas using only embeds, or suborning and moving particular Infrastructure. I even created a couple of tilts for planets that involve them having their own aetheric field (you can draw aether from the air but it’s dangerous and slightly toxic) or no Essence at all (aether and essence usage is increased and gadgets don’t work without aether fueling them). I also find the idea of an embeded gadgeteer to be a real boon for setting up a colony, even if they would need to be extra careful not to raise alarms within their tight-nit community.

Beasts also strike me as beings who could get a lot of mileage from space travel, especially if they set of Chambers on separate planets and spaceships. Smugglers would give their eyeteeth (or probably someone else’s) for access to that sort of network.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
            I would love to see more of this content. I am new to CofD so I don't know much about 1e, what book was Infinite Macabre in?
            Infinite Macabre. It was one of the smaller supplements that came out a little after World of Darkness: Mirrors, along with Bleeding Edge, the cyberpunk setting hack.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
              It was a standalone PDf product for Mirrors, since they couldn't fit it in the books but wanted to do it anyways. Same with Bleeding Edge for cyberpunk.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Thank you both, I will have to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                  I've been in a space opera mood lately (blame the Picard trailer) and I've been thinking about combining it with horror (blame Outer Darkness). Which leads me back around to Infinite Macabre, one of the sci-fi shards we did for 1e.

There are really striking images in IM, including the Gates marked with pre-Atlantean runes, the Watchtowers waiting undiscovered on distant worlds, and vampire corsairs devouring their way through deep space. Chuck really gave space a haunted and sometimes grisly feel, and capturing that at a table would be awesome.

I think if I were going to do an update/sequel, I'd want to add more factions (from the Sworn of the Void to the Jeffersonian Movement), explore the role of the God-Machine in the wider cosmos (we already know about the relay in Sirius), and get into the gritty of starships (both space combat and their dreaded Pandora Drives).

I've written some notes and basic rules, but I'm still dialing in on an outline or a campaign pitch. The idea just won't let go...

...anybody else feeling this?
                  can I suggest combining it with the Fifth Sothic Turn for Mummy, and perhaps a BSG (2004) style religious pilgrimage in search for Starry Aaru in deep space?

(I think I threw out there a while ago the idea of updating both scifi settings for 2e via future set Dark Eras, with Infinite Macabre being Mummy as described above, and Bleeding Edge being Demon, with the twist that the maintained alternate timelines by the GodMachine and subverted infrastructure allows for conflicting near futures)
                  Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-18-2019, 05:45 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Yes, please. I love space opera, and I'd love to write for a product like this.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

Oh I'm feeling it.

DO EEEET.

Comment

Definitely. A bunch of us were chatting about Mummies in space the other day on Discord and there's also [REDACTED], but that's still firmly under an NDA. Plus (tangentially) I think there's been some chatter about putting together a Scion: Space Opera book for the Nexus, so something is in the air. More stuff about space and set in space is an excellent thing.

Yeah, if writers are needed, I too am all in for this.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I would DEFINITELY buy it. I would love to buy whatever is made. I would immediately drop $100+ on a kickstarter for this.

However, one thing that really bugged me about the original was the misuse of basic terminology and misunderstandings about the basic structure of space. The most jarring example of which was the bit where galaxies are claimed to be a generic term for star systems and planetary systems. (I think the confusion happened due to the technicality that galaxies could be considered star systems in the same way that a desert could be considered "some sand"; technically true but not really)

For reference: a galaxy is a large blob (often a spiral actually) of hundreds of billions of stars (most of which have planets) separated from their neighboring galaxies by vast distances of empty space many times their own diameter. Our galaxy is called the Milky Way, our nearest neighboring galaxy is the Andromeda galaxy. Many works of fiction just refer to star systems and planetary systems as "star systems" or just "systems" and this is generally accepted.

Most settings stick to a single galaxy as it has more than enough stars and is enormous enough to contain whatever the plot demands and leave the other galaxies out of reach. Except, of course, when they are used as a source of some sort of extra-galactic eldritch horror that can't be struck back against because they are too far away. A horror that sent their invaders to our galaxy countless eons ago, which have just now started arriving.

The basic structure of space (as it matters for most space fiction): Stars are usually, but not always, orbited by planets. Stars sometimes orbit each other. Galaxies are composed of stars orbiting the center of the galaxy. The center of the galaxy has tons of stars and may be unsafe for colonization due to the sheer number of giant shortlived stars flooding the region with radiation. At the very center of a galaxy there is often a supermassive blackhole with a mass millions of times that of the Sun. Our galaxy has a supermassive blackhole at its center named Sagittarius A* (pronounced "Sagittarius A-Star").

I'm really not trying to be rude here. I really love the ideas. But those terminology and structure of space issues were just so jarring and really broke the mood for me.
                          Last edited by Custos Tenebrarum; 10-18-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

This is something I've semi-jokingly noted, but something I think would be neat to see is that if there are any actual aliens humans run into (rather than simply having different splats be the 'aliens' of sorts), they'd see humans as the unspeakable horror of the universe. Why? Because humanity is so changing so gosh dang much. They can be turned into blood drinking vampires, their children can be born with their "souls" being a mishmash of human and spirits of rage, they can ascend into beings that play with the very fabric of reality, they can become fae wielding the power of their greaters, and so much more stranger and scarier things. Even their dead don't stop changing into strange and mutually exclusive things. Further, while humans aren't the only things on earth that can do this on earth, they tend to be the ones who get changed the most while staying visually the same the most.

Humans may be scared of what's in outer space, but considering what any one human being could become under any number of circumstances, humanity may be the real horror in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                              Definitely. A bunch of us were chatting about Mummies in space the other day on Discord and there's also [REDACTED], but that's still firmly under an NDA. Plus (tangentially) I think there's been some chatter about putting together a Scion: Space Opera book for the Nexus, so something is in the air. More stuff about space and set in space is an excellent thing.

Yeah, if writers are needed, I too am all in for this.
                              This actually sounds pretty cool. I mean the Mummies would be like "seeya judge, I'm peacing out!" As they take a ship to go somewhere else.

I love Mirrors, and its pdf supplements, so to see this idea is really cool.

Also to imagine that after everying bad in CoD we still manage to go into space. Its very cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X