No announcement yet.

Homebrew Variations and Scars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea I came up with today while working out. I'll need to do some more thought experiments with it to see how it compares to Mimicry.

Scar Chameleon (● - ​●​●​●​●​●, Chimeric Variation)

Subtle

Reflexive, Tiered, Toggled

The Deviant possesses a degree of control over her Scars.

While this Variation is active, the Deviant can choose a Scar she possesses with a Magnitude equal to or less than Scar Chameleon's, and change it into a different Scar of the same Magnitude. She decides on the specific effects, parameters, and Deviations of the new Scar (and in this way could change a Bane of mercury into a Bane of sulfur, for example). Any given Scar may only be subject to this Variation once per chapter, and an altered Scar cannot be altered further. Scar Chameleon cannot affect the Scar with which it is entangled.

The Cephalist's fluid self-image allows him to reimagine his Scars, but his Divergence imbued him with the deep-seated belief that he is incapable of making intelligent decisions (Suppression; Persistent; Resolve).

The Chimeric's genome is a hodgepodge of nearly every living organism, and she can cover one animal's frailty with another. Manipulating her DNA in this way carries long-term consequences (Unstable Variation; Controlled; Dexterity).

The Coactive petitions the gods to change the curses under which she labors (Preparation; Controlled; Manipulation).

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
      Scar Chameleon (​[B]● - ​●​●​●​●​●, Chimeric Variation)
      Very interesting, though I'm genuinely unsure if it can be balanced against Mimicry. Maybe if altered Scars lasted longer than a scene, forcing you to stick with your new drawback. How have your experiments turned out?

Notably, this can be used to turn any Toggled Variation reflexive by altering its entangled Scar to include Relentless Variation.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
        Very interesting, though I'm genuinely unsure if it can be balanced against Mimicry. Maybe if altered Scars lasted longer than a scene, forcing you to stick with your new drawback. How have your experiments turned out?

Notably, this can be used to turn any Toggled Variation reflexive by altering its entangled Scar to include Relentless Variation.
        That reminds me that this probably won't see a completed form until the finalized version of the corebook, since I think a few things hinge on what Relentless Variation ends up looking like.

I haven't found anything that breaks horribly so far. I've been considering adding in a limitation that the Deviant can only exchange for Scars of the same type (Controlled/Involuntary/Persistent), since the current model, similar to Mimicry, encourages having a bunch of low-Magnitude Persistent Scars (although instead of suppressing them outright, the Remade instead swaps them out for something Controlled). Suppression could be headache, just because there risks the argument of what the character's "real" rating in a given Attribute is supposed to be, but I guess that's the sort of thing to discuss ahead of time.

Comment

• How reasonable is this for a Rapid Healing deviation (note: I’m unsure about the Magnitude cost)

• Not So Rapid (-1 Magnitude): Requires Magnitude 4+. Your speed of regeneration is not affected by this variation. However, you can still heal injuries otherwise uncurbable.
          It is possible to take both a version of Rapid Healing with this deviation and a Magnitude 1-3 version of Rapid Healing without it.
          At Mag 4, when healing persistent conditions, they heal at the same speed as aggravated damage.
          At Mag 5, when you come back from death, you must heal each aggravated damage individually.
          Last edited by SdeSpencer; 01-09-2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Mind Control (Cephalist Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
            Subtle
            Directed, Tiered, Toggled
            The Remade can influence the thoughts and actions of those around her, urging them to act on her commands.
            At Magnitude ●, the Deviant can inflict the Fixated Condition (see below) on a target in range once per scene. She must communicate her command in a way her target can understand, whether speaking it aloud, signing it, or even passing him a note.
            At Magnitude ●●, the penalty from Fixated rises to 2 + half Scar Power (round up). Additionally, the Broken may spend a point of Willpower to extend the Condition until the beginning of the next chapter or until the target resolves it (potentially influencing his actions for several chapters). This prevents Fixated from lapsing in scenes where the command can’t be completed, but the penalty falls to zero until an opportunity to obey presents itself.
            At Magnitude ●●●, choose one:
            • Intrusive: Each time after the first that the Broken extends Fixated, as well as when the Condition lapses without resolution, the target loses a point of Willpower. All Willpower lost this way are regained if the target fulfills the command and resolves Fixated.
            • Subliminal: The Deviant can choose for the target to forget receiving her command, even while acting on it. Supernatural effects that oppose this provoke a Clash of Wills while the target still suffers the Fixated Condition.
            At Magnitude ●●●●, the Deviant benefits from both Magnitude ●●● effects.

Deviations
            • Aura (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant’s command affects all viable targets within short range, and spending a point of Willpower to extend the effect does so for all of them. However, Mind Control becomes once per chapter instead of once per scene.
            The Cephalist’s swelling mind is constantly threatening to spill over into the brains of those around her (Power Build-Up; Involuntary; Resolve).

The voice of the Infused comes out in waves of light instead of sound, and it’s as hypnotic to her as it is to others (Addictive Variation; Persistent; Deviation: Disfiguring Scar).

The Mutant holds an unsettling power over cannibals, blood-drinkers, and others like himself (Dependency; Persistent; Deviation: Target Restriction).
            Fixated (Hurt Locker, p. 150)
            Your character focuses on a single thought or command. She takes a -2 penalty to all actions for the rest of the scene or until the command is completed. If the command is not something she could conceivably do in that time and place then the effect lasts one turn as her mind wanders in aimless confusion. Multiple applications of this Condition on her in the same scene can add more commands, but the penalty is not cumulative.
            Beat: Your character does something that goes against her Virtue or risks Faltering to fulfill the fixation.
            Resolution: Your character satisfies the command.
            Design Notes
            I’ve had this idea for a while; it’s an obvious gap in the Deviant powerset.
            The first dot is just the Mind Control Merit from Hurt Locker, so writing this up was mostly a matter of realizing where to take it at higher Magnitudes.

Signal Amplifier (Invasive Variation; ●●● to ●●●●●)
            Subtle
            Discrete, Perpetual, Reflexive
            The Broken’s powers extend beyond her immediate presence, surging through phone lines and shining from flickering screens.
            At Magnitude ●●●, choose one of the Deviant’s other Variations, which must be Directed or have Directed effects available at its current Magnitude (the secondary Variation). Once per chapter, the Broken can direct the secondary Variation through any medium or power that projects her voice, image, or awareness beyond her immediate presence. For example, she might use it over a phone call, via a live video feed, or while using another Variation such as Astral Travel.
            Measure the secondary Variation’s range from the endpoint of the medium (the speaker, for example), or from the center of the projection if it covers a larger area. If the Deviant can’t perceive potential targets within range of the endpoint, the Storyteller chooses (or randomly selects) the target; if none are available, the Deviant remains unaware of this.
            The Remade can purchase Signal Amplifier any number of times, each time selecting another secondary Variation to extend.

Deviations
            • Cluster (+1 Magnitude): Instead of a single secondary Variation, the Remade can select and extend all Directed Variations and effects entangled with the same Scar, chosen when she develops this Deviation.
            • Recording (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant can store an activation of the secondary Variation in a non-static recording of her voice or image (on a video tape, for example, but not in a photograph). Roll Scar Finesse with a -2 penalty at the time of activation, and note the successes; the next valid target that comes within range of the recording as it’s being played must contest that initial roll or become subject to the stored Variation.
            The Cephalist can transmit brain-bursting waves of psychic energy anywhere her voice can reach (Power Failure; Controlled; Manipulation; Secondary Variation: Lash).

The Coactive barely exists, but this allows him to crawl through the ether like an electronic ghost (Unstable Variation; Controlled; Dexterity; Secondary Variation: Translocation).

The Invasive is the living, dying core of a machine that can see through any eyes on the planet (Sluggish Metabolism; Persistent; Secondary Variation: Body Snatcher).

Design Notes
            A kind of meta-Variation, which I suppose could’ve been a Merit as well. Making it a Variation leaves it more restricted, though, which I prefer for an effect like this.
            It’s an Invasive Variation because I feel it matches the Cyborg theme of “enhancing the tools you have,” but also because that serves as an additional, balancing restriction on who can develop it.
            Last edited by The MG; 01-17-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• A Few More Deviations:

---

Deviation for any Variation, particularly Fate's Agent, Immunity, and Specialized Sense.

Stubborn (+1 Magnitude): This Variation is Particularly difficult to push through.
              When considering Clashes of Wills, this Variation counts as 1 higher in Magnitude (of course stacking with the +1 Magnitude given by this Variation), to a Maximum of +5

----
              Deviation for Preparation

You and Me (+1 Magnitude): Only available if entangled with only Directed Variations (or Variations with a Directed effect). In order to use Entangled Variations, both you and the person you are directing towards must spend the time required in Preparation. You cannot change who you direct towards later, unless they also participate. However, for rolling to activate the Variation, you may decide if you or them roll for the Variation.
              Last edited by SdeSpencer; 01-12-2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                Mind Control (Cephalist Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                This is interesting, although it kind of feels like a worse version of the Magnitude 4 effect of Pheromones [which I think is where mind control is hiding in the Deviant book]. I'm not really sure how to change that without stepping on Pheromones' toes... maybe refocus it into, like, a directed Subliminal Conditioning? Give the Deviant more tools for, like, creating their own sleeper agents by expanding on the ability to extend the Fixated Condition's effects? Maybe something that makes the Fixated Condition persistent or something?

Originally posted by SdeSpencer View Post
                Stubborn (+1 Magnitude): This Variation is Particularly difficult to push through.
                When considering Clashes of Wills, this Variation counts as 1 higher in Magnitude (of course stacking with the +1 Magnitude given by this Variation), to a Maximum of +5
                This might be a feature, but isn't this useless if the base Variation's Magnitude [or its total Magnitude from other Deviations] ever becomes 4? Or have I forgotten how to do math? Would it be better to make it so the affected Variation gains a bonus to Clash of Wills rolls as if it were Persistent and Perpetual, and granting some other benefit like an additional +2, or 9-again, or something if the Variation is already Persistent and Perpetual?

I think your other Deviations look fine, as does everything else that's been added to this thread since my last post.

Consistently Inconsistent
                Website
                She/Her

Comment

• Originally posted by SomethingFishy View Post
                  This might be a feature, but isn't this useless if the base Variation's Magnitude [or its total Magnitude from other Deviations] ever becomes 4? Or have I forgotten how to do math? Would it be better to make it so the affected Variation gains a bonus to Clash of Wills rolls as if it were Persistent and Perpetual, and granting some other benefit like an additional +2, or 9-again, or something if the Variation is already Persistent and Perpetual?
                  That's not an UNFAIR statement, but honestly it's more a feature than a bug, and beyond that I think a +1 for that sort of thing would be unjustified at best (you get a -1 SCAR for perpetual if it's subtle). 9 again COULD be reasonable, but the main goal of this variation was to make "Simple but Hard to Beat." powers more accessible, and beyond that, without having to lay on Deviations you feel aren't your goal.
                  Also to be entirely fair, if it is 4, it COULD be reasonable to set the cap at +6 instead of +5, but I think that would also sort of miss the point of the power, which is a simple way to increase a variation's power without making it far more powerful. I think it shouldn't be an extra bonus on top, just an equalizer.

Comment

• A Bit More Stuff:

Deviation for Fate’s Agent

Weird (-1 Magnitude): Your Powers only affect information gathering in a specific way, or your powers might only affect a certain subsection of powers. Eg. You might always register as a vampire, or you might only weird out the ability of wizards to pop into dreams and minds.

---

An Update to the Sidebar of my Forgotten Variation (you can find the rest and the original version here)
                    SIDEBAR: Forgotten and Relentless Variation:

Quite simply, Forgotten is usually a life ruining thing to have permanently on. Typically it causes basically everyone you love, such as your Allies and Loyalty Touchstones to completely forget you even exist (or be unable to recognize you). As such, it needs specific rules in order to be fair when it comes to Relentless Variation.

When used on a Scar Entangled with Forgotten, Relentless Variation, instead of its previous magnitude rules, adds an amount of magnitude to its Entangled Scar equal to Forgotten’s Default (not necessarily maximum) Magnitude - 1 (to a minimum of +1 Magnitude). If Wild Variation is also added as well (or just straight up in the case of Magnitude 1), Forgotten is allowed to pay for itself as a Persistent, Social Scar.

In any case, if the Scar Forgotten is Entangled with is Entangled with another Variation or has Suppressible Variation applied, Relentless Variation is set at a flat +1 and cannot pay for itself
                    ---

I also have a list of all my Deviant Homebrew I've made including any minor edits I make Here
                    Last edited by SdeSpencer; 01-12-2021, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• The release of the backer PDF has kicked my mind back into creative gear. I've got a few ideas I'm tinkering with (as well as going back to rebalance some older stuff to make sure it still jives with the game's final draft), but here's a Deviation I cooked up this morning. It's meant to be like a Standard Deviation, but for Variations instead of Scars (which is to say I guess it's like Aura or Defensive and should be assumed to be available to any Variation that qualifies).

Delay

Directed-Only

+1 Magnitude:
                      When Directing the Variation, the Deviant can opt to suspend the power’s effect, choosing either a specific condition that first must come to pass (“the target breaks his promise to me” or “my cohort-mate suffers lethal damage” or the like), or a time delay (up to Scar Power hours/scenes) before the Variation takes effect. Once the dictated circumstance happens or the time delay is up, the target is affected by the Variation. Any Variations still Delayed at the end of the chapter dissipate; the Remade may accept a minor Instability, spend a point of Willpower, or suffer a point of lethal damage (chosen when this Deviation is acquired) to prolong the suspended effect for an additional chapter (and may choose to continue to do this from chapter to chapter).

A Delayed Variation with a per-scene/chapter/story limit counts against that limit until discharged, though this can be overcome with Adaptations as per normal.

Use Target Restriction to specify a single condition or time limit the Deviant must use when Delaying a Variation; with the +2 Magnitude option, the Deviant must always Delay the Variation in such a fashion when Directing it. Storytellers should disallow this for arbitrarily easy conditions to satisfy, or time limits of less than the Variation’s Magnitude in minutes/turns.

Comment

• Originally posted by SdeSpencer View Post

That's not an UNFAIR statement, but honestly it's more a feature than a bug, and beyond that I think a +1 for that sort of thing would be unjustified at best (you get a -1 SCAR for perpetual if it's subtle). 9 again COULD be reasonable, but the main goal of this variation was to make "Simple but Hard to Beat." powers more accessible, and beyond that, without having to lay on Deviations you feel aren't your goal.
                        Also to be entirely fair, if it is 4, it COULD be reasonable to set the cap at +6 instead of +5, but I think that would also sort of miss the point of the power, which is a simple way to increase a variation's power without making it far more powerful. I think it shouldn't be an extra bonus on top, just an equalizer.
                        Fair enough! I'm not sure I would personally consider it worth 1 Magnitude, but most of the suggested Variations don't go up to Magnitude 5, so it only really matters for Fate's Agent.

Anyway, it did give me an idea for a Standard Deviation:

Feeble Variation
                        Scar Type: Any
                        +1 Magnitude: The entangled Variations lack supernatural potency, and crumble in the face of resistance. When rolling a Clash of Wills with the entangled Variations, the Deviant caps their Magnitude and her Acclimation at one each. For example, if her Acclimation is 0, and the Variation has a Magnitude of 3, she only rolls 1 die, because she cannot have a higher effective Magnitude than 1, but her Acclimation is lower than the maximum imposed by this Deviation. Only one Scar may have this Deviation.
                        • Universal [+1 Magnitude]: The Deviation instead applies to all the Remade's Variations.
                        Design Notes: A better version of this Deviation might be Directed or Controlled-only, and instead deny Magnitude to the Remade's Scar Finesse rolls, but this was what I first thought of. It is kind of nasty, but also feels niche enough that it ought to be. Frankly, Clash of Wills might come up so infrequently [in my experience, anyway] that it should be a +0 Deviation base, instead of a +1.

Consistently Inconsistent
                        Website
                        She/Her

Comment

• Originally posted by SomethingFishy View Post
                          This is interesting, although it kind of feels like a worse version of the Magnitude 4 effect of Pheromones [which I think is where mind control is hiding in the Deviant book]. I'm not really sure how to change that without stepping on Pheromones' toes... maybe refocus it into, like, a directed Subliminal Conditioning? Give the Deviant more tools for, like, creating their own sleeper agents by expanding on the ability to extend the Fixated Condition's effects? Maybe something that makes the Fixated Condition persistent or something?
                          Well, to some extent, that's the intended balance point -- weaker than Pheromones 4 in the scene (at lower Magnitudes), but with a punishing sustained effect (at higher Magnitudes).

Still, I suppose there's room for a power boost. How about this:

At Magnitude ●●●●●, the first time the Broken extends Fixated on a given target, it doesn't cost her any Willpower, and if she allows the Condition to lapse, she regains any Willpower spent on extending it. In addition, the Deviant can inflict Fixated as a Persistent Condition; she doesn't need to spend Willpower to extend it, but can still invoke the Intrusive effect. This can be done safely once per story, but each additional Persistent Fixated Condition inflicted in the same story causes a medium Instability.

Alternatively, I could see a new Magnitude 3 option that allows you to give the command "obey," for more of a general enthralling effect.

Either way, I decided to raise the penalty at Magnitude 2 ever so slightly, so that it goes from -3 to -5 instead of starting at -2.

Comment

• Just something I thought up:

Reality Shard O-OOOOO

Tired, Toggled, Overt, Subtle, Perpetual

The Deviant has the ability to exert some control over a single aspect of reality. This power can all the remade to manipulate something tangible like “fire” “wood” “Animals” or “light” or the Remade can control something more metaphysical and intangible like “love” “Death” or “Nature”. This Variation works similar to a Spirit’s Influences. Devients can only have one Influence but can purchase this Variation multiple times for different Influences.

The Devient can activate the Variation once per scene for a specific effect. Any additional uses of the power costs a Willpower although Adaptations can negate this cost.

Magnitude 1: The Deviant can subtly strengthen a single aspect of reality whether it’s strengthening an emotion or fortifying an object.

Magnitude 2: The Deviant can Manipulate the Reality Shard.

Magnitude 3: The Remade has direct control of their aspect Ex: controlling the target of an emotion of taking direct control of technology.

Magnitude 4: The Deviant can create whole cloth an instance or object of their influence.

Deviation +1
                            The Deviant can suffer a medium instability in order to switch their Influence to something that can be logically related to their main influence for a scene. Example: A Deviant can alter their control from say “Death” to “Fear” or “Shadows”.

The Coactive contains the trapped essence of a spirit of wisdom to guide her in her actions but calling upon the power leaves the Deviant prone to possession by the spirit.
                            The Mutant uses his enhanced nervous system to manipulate radiation and other forms of solar energy but doing so leaves him with nasty burns on his skin

The Invasive’s heart has been replaced with a magical idol that allows the Remade to control water and the sea life within. But calling on his power takes resources and offerings to the idol stuck inside his body.

Comment

• Aloha everyone, I hope you are all doing well in your parts of the world. Sorry I have been away for a bit and neglected updated the Google Doc. My wife and I just welcomed our first child into the world.

For those who are new to this thread, here is the link to Google Doc of the compiled Homebrew Variations, Scars, Forms, and Adaptations (https://tinyurl.com/DtR-VSF). I have gone through and tried to update it with everything everyone has shared, but let me know if I missed something. Also, if you want to have your homebrew credited to you please feel free to your username on your work--not trying to steal anyone's great contributions. Please feel free to update it yourself, drop comments, and playtest material.

Really glad to see how much creativity we have been able to pour into this thread.
                              Last edited by lladas; 01-30-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lladas View Post
                                Aloha everyone, I hope you are all doing well in your parts of the world. Sorry I have been away for a bit and neglected updated the Google Doc. My wife and I just welcomed our first child into the world.
                                Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                                X