No announcement yet.

Homebrew Variations and Scars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm. Do you think those might be powerful enough to be bumped up to +2 magnitude options?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
      Hmm. Do you think those might be powerful enough to be bumped up to +2 magnitude options?

I was mulling that over as I was designing them. I think it would make sense for the Hyper Competence deviation, but making the Monstrous Transformation deviation a +1 would really limit what you could do with that Variation. I could make Protean Form not able to be changed by Adaptations.

Comment

• Lash (• to •••••)
        Effect
        • Practical: The Lash is also a tool for a Skill chosen at purchase. While Toggled the Lash can be used as a piece of equipment, the Deviant is treated as always having a Specialty in the Skill and achieves an exceptional success on three successes instead of five. If the Lash is ranged the Broken can also make Skill rolls at range, but suffers the regular penalties for farther distances.
        Deviations
        • Ergonomic (+1 Magnitude): As Practical. Additionally, the Remade enjoys an equipment bonus on rolls involving the chosen Skill equal to half Scar Power (rounded up).

Comment

• New Controlled Scar: Coping Mechanism
          Keywords: Secondary; Subtle; Repeatable
          Unlike most Controlled Scars, the Deviant suffers a drawback unless she uses the entangled Variation.
          Choose a Persistent Scar with Magnitude equal to this Scar’s Magnitude. The Deviant suffers the effects of the Secondary Scar whenever none of the entangled Variations are active.
          Decrease the final Magnitude of this Scar by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are Subtle. Further decrease the Magnitude by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are not likely to cause story complications when they are active.
          In cases where the secondary Scar imposes a Condition or other lingering “token” (such as Conspicuous Appearance or Misfortune), these Conditions/tokens are suppressed while any entangled Variation is active, but resume as soon as the Variation deactivates/the scene ends.
          Each instance of this Scar must apply a different Persistent Scar or one with the Repeatable keyword.

Basically the inverse of a Relentless Variation + Suppressible Variation combo. I think this better enables a number of character concepts where the power itself acts as a countermeasure to the drawback. I think this approach is balanced?

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
            New Controlled Scar: Coping Mechanism
            Keywords: Secondary; Subtle; Repeatable
            Unlike most Controlled Scars, the Deviant suffers a drawback unless she uses the entangled Variation.
            Choose a Persistent Scar with Magnitude equal to this Scar’s Magnitude. The Deviant suffers the effects of the Secondary Scar whenever none of the entangled Variations are active.
            Decrease the final Magnitude of this Scar by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are Subtle. Further decrease the Magnitude by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are not likely to cause story complications when they are active.
            In cases where the secondary Scar imposes a Condition or other lingering “token” (such as Conspicuous Appearance or Misfortune), these Conditions/tokens are suppressed while any entangled Variation is active, but resume as soon as the Variation deactivates/the scene ends.
            Each instance of this Scar must apply a different Persistent Scar or one with the Repeatable keyword.

Basically the inverse of a Relentless Variation + Suppressible Variation combo. I think this better enables a number of character concepts where the power itself acts as a countermeasure to the drawback. I think this approach is balanced?
            Dig the concept generally, definitely fills a unique design niche. How should the Scar interact with Addictive Variation? That seems like one place where things might get wonky.

Comment

Working...
            X