No announcement yet.

Homebrew Variations and Scars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why, though? What's the point in taking away the possibility of failure (and the possibility of Exceptional Success/Dramatic Failure)?

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

To expedite the process of paying for another's Scars without unnecessary rolling. The purpose of making it Directed was simply to borrow its baked-in range and targeting rules.

Comment

Thought I’d give making my own Variation a shot.
        This is just a bare bones idea, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.

Power Sink(• to •••••) (Coactive Variation)
        Subtle
        Perpetual, Subtle, Overt, Toggled

The Remade an analyze, adapt, and copy the effects of a supernatural power or ability.The power of choice must be relatively obvious such as a throwing fire or changing shape. Area effects or abilities that are subtle in nature must be identified first or at least be known to the Remade before hand. The strength of the power to be copied must be equal or lower than the Variation’s Magnitude.

The target of Power Sink can resist with a Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance. The target still has the ability copied by the Broken but Can now tell in a vague direction the use of their power.

The Remade can copy a number of abilities equal to the lower of their Scar power plus Magnitude. The abilities copied last for the remainder of the chapter but can be aded permanently in exchange for Major Instability. Doing so also cuts off the connection between the Broken their target.

Deviations
        • Font (+1 Magnitude): The aumber of abilities the Remade can steal is the Greater of their Scar Power plus Magnitude.
        • Detailed(+2 Magnitude): Supernatural powers that require complex rituals and ingredients can now be copied and used by the Broken without needing the extra steps.

The Mutant’s adaptive biology can reconfigure in numerous ways to incorporate new physical and mental functions but causes damage that the Mutant must take time to heal from.

The Invasive contains an extra terrestrial quantum computer that analyzes “fluctuation” in physical reality and duplicates the effects for the the Remade’s use, but the Cyborg must recharge his batteries after every use.

The spirit the Coactive shares his body with can use its specially tuned Influences and occult might to steal spells from mages and other fey creatures, but it gets to ride the Remade’s body like a puppet every time the Broken calls upon his patrons ability.

Comment

This thread makes me super-excited about this game. But, basically, am I correct in assuming Deviant is basically superheroes filtered through the lens of horror and without the costumes and codenames? I don't mean this in any negative capacity, nor am I shitting on the concept. Quite the opposite, in fact! I think the two genres could mix EXTREMELY well.

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
            This thread makes me super-excited about this game. But, basically, am I correct in assuming Deviant is basically superheroes filtered through the lens of horror and without the costumes and codenames? I don't mean this in any negative capacity, nor am I shitting on the concept. Quite the opposite, in fact! I think the two genres could mix EXTREMELY well.
            Deviant is a game of body horror. Think the Fly and such.

Being a deviant comes with really cool powers, but each of those powers have a drawback. The more powerful an ability, the more hindering the drawback is. For example, one Scar is missing limbs. If you have a 5 dot Variation tied to it, you have no limbs to use. If you have only one dot in the variation, you have only one missing limb.

It can be played like that of a superhero (like the old fashioned Hulk kind), but really it's not that simple, as Deviants have lost their sense of self and must tie themselves to people and institutions (whether through loyalty or hate) in order to stay stable. A deviant who does not do so will devolve into a one man army who WILL die.

Basically, you can play it superhero. But these heroes will be incredibly flawed and with powers that always come at a price, and who are always on the move and with not many friends but many enemies

Comment

Oh, I don't mean that in some campy way. I understand it's clearly s horror game in clearly horror universe. I don't mean costumes and codenames and villains of the week: I mean people with basically superpowers adrift in a world ruled by mad monsters, where the characters are little better than monsters themselves.

Comment

Body horror is definitely common (for example, all four PCs in my game as well as three out of four of my alternate character concepts lean into body horror to different degrees) but it's not a fundamental part of the game. It just lends itself to it really well. But designing a character without focus on the physical/bodily aspect is just as valid and does not mean you've subverted the game's expectations; you've just created a character that is broken in other ways. There are a lot of mental/social Scars as well to choose from, and many Variations that aren't physical in their nature.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Hi everyone,

I hope you all are doing well during these times. I finally got around to building a Google Doc containing all of the homebrews people have provided.

Here is a link to the document: https://tinyurl.com/DtR-VSF

I took the liberty of formatting all of the homebrews to be identical. Let me know if you think I should change anything in the formatting. I hope this can be a useful resource for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                    Oh, I don't mean that in some campy way. I understand it's clearly s horror game in clearly horror universe. I don't mean costumes and codenames and villains of the week: I mean people with basically superpowers adrift in a world ruled by mad monsters, where the characters are little better than monsters themselves.
                    Hmm. If you mean Scar Free, well I suppose you are free to do it that way. But it honestly sounds like a Hunter game you are looking for. Specifically at the Conspiracy tier

Comment

I guess I am including Deviant Merits on this thread as well. This was inspired by the game Prototype and my interest in making Clade or Origin specific Merits.
                      Adaptive Mutation (• to •••; Style) -- UPDATED: 07.20.20
                      Prerequisite: Mutant, Stamina •••, and Brawl, Firearms, or Weaponry at •••
                      Effect: The Freak has mastered combat applications of their Unpredictable Adaptation. Some mutants learn these tactics from their Conspiracy as they are made into living weapons while others develop them in their violent resistance against these organizations. This Style is about utilizing the Unpredictable Adaptation to protect the Remade, destabilize their targets, and focus their mutations to thrive in combat.

Reactive Hypermutation (•): In response to an external threat, the mutant alters their body to resist the assault. The mutant can reflexively initiate Unpredictable Adaptation in response to an attack or damage. For attacks, the Remade adds the Magnitude of the original altered Variation to their Defense. In response to damage from extreme environments or other external threats, subtract the Magnitude of the Variation from the first instance of damage.

Unforeseen Complication (••): Conspiracies know Mutants are Unpredictable threats, but this Freak takes that truth to its logical conclusion. The Mutant has learned to destabilize the tactics of its enemies by shifting its Variations between violent conflicts. If the mutant faces off against threats it has fought in the past, but has utilized Unpredictable Adaptation for the scene, the threats are forced into a surprise roll. Roll the threat’s Wits + Composure vs. a Scar Finesse roll for the mutated Variation. If the threats fail, they cannot act or apply Defense until their second turn.

Survival of the Fittest (•••): The Freak’s Variations are now primed to thrive in the stress of violence. While in a combat scene, the Mutant achieves an exceptional success on all Scar Finesse and Scar Resistance Rolls for a Variation they mutated through Unpredictable Adaptation with three successes instead of five. Additionally, the Remade can choose to heal a level of bashing/lethal damage or recover a point of Willpower (once per scene) instead of healing a minor Instability on an exceptional success.
                      Last edited by lladas; 07-20-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Variation Moderation (• to •••••) (Universal Variation)
                        Prerequisite: Amplifier (Form)
                        Subtle
                        Directed, Tiered, Toggled
                        The Amplifier can extend and empower their manipulation of other’s Variations. This Variation can only effect targets of the same Clade.

At Magnitude •, the Remade gains an innate understanding of how the Divergence warped another Deviant. Once the Broken makes connection with a target they know all of their Variations and Scars. After connecting with a target, the Deviant gains an equipment bonus to tracking and investigating the target equal to half of their Scar Power rounded up.

At Magnitude ••, choose one:
                        • Promote: The Broken can empower other Deviants in their control of their Variations. The Amplifier can reflexively make a Scar Finesse roll to add successes to a Scar Finesse or Resistance roll the target makes.
                        • Hinder: The Broken can weaken another Deviant’s control of their Variations. The Amplifier can reflexively make a Scar Finesse roll to subtract successes from a Scar Finesse or Resistance roll the target makes.

At Magnitude •••, choose one:
                        • Balance: The Deviant is capable of both Magnitude •• effects.
                        • Wellspring: This is only available if the Remade chose Promote as her Magnitude •• effect. The Deviant can now energize the Variations of another Remade beyond their normal limits. The Remade can add their Scar Power as Scar-Free Variation Magnitude to a single Variation the target has as long as this Variation is Directed on that target.
                        • Ravage: This is only available if the Remade chose Hinger as her Magnitude •• effect. The Deviant can now exacerbate the Scars of another Remade to disastrous level. The Remade can add their Scar Power as Variation-Free Scar Magnitude to a single Scar the target has as long as this Variation is Directed on that target.

At Magnitude ••••, the Broken enjoys the benefits of both Magnitude •••• effects.
                        Deviations
                        • Aura (+1 Magnitude): The Variation alters the powers of all viable targets within range. Roll to target each one individually. If the Deviant has access to more than one effect, they can only apply one to the entire area.
                        Bad luck always seemed to follow the Coactive Amplifier before his Divergence, now he exudes an uncontrollable anti-magic field making him a threat to Coactive everywhere—just his luck. (Relentless[Misfortune]; Persistent; Deviation: Wild).
                        The Cephalist Amplifier may be wheelchair bound, but she uses her psychic abilities to empower her young psychic wards to go out into the world to fight against oncoming war against psychics she dreams of (Missing Limb; Persistent; Deviations: Nightmares).
                        By connecting his wireless internet implants to the software in another Invasive, the Amplifier can analyze their capabilities, however, the connection requires his full concentration (Concentration; Controlled; Wits).

Fellow Traveller (••• to •••••) (Coactive Variation)
                        Prerequisite: Otherworldly Connection (Coactive Variation)
                        Overt
                        Perpetual, Tiered
                        The Remade’s connection to otherworldly locations allows them to find ways into them. The otherworldly location connected to this Variation must match the Origin selected for the Otherworldly Connection Variation. Similarly, this Variation can be purchased multiple times , but each time it applies to a different supernatural location. The Deviant enters the other realms physically, so, if they die there they die for real regardless of the location.

At Magnitude •••, the Remade can instantly access pre-existing portals to other realms that they can perceive. Particularly obscured or defended entries might require more time and/or a successful Scar Finesse roll.

At Magnitude ••••, the Broken can now break their way into other realms on their own. This requires a Scar Finesse roll versus whatever resistance the Storyteller finds appropriate.
                        Deviations
                        • Keymaster (+2 Magnitude): The Variation now becomes a master key to the universe. The Deviant can now access all otherworlds through pre-existing portals, but they can only use this Variation once per chapter.
                        • Psychopomp (+1 Magnitude): The Variation can now serve as a gateway for others to follow. The Deviant can bring a number of other passengers equal to their Scar Power
                        The Coactive can’t remember much from before his Divergence (read:death at the hands of a death cult), but each night he is haunted by the Dead Gods and Ancient Laws of the Underworld he now wanders (Amnesia; Persistent; Deviations: Nightmares).
                        The clockwork hand that now replaces the Invasive’s lost arm gives her access to worlds unimaginable, but she can’t help, but feel like she is constantly being watched by a thousand mechanical eyes (Paranoia; Persistent).
                        Through extensive exploration of their Dreamscape the Cephalist has managed to find a way into the Astral realm of the whole world. Each day their desire to spend more and more time in this realm of impossibilities grows (Addictive Variation; Persistent).

Comment

Originally posted by lladas View Post
                          Adaptive Mutation (• to •••; Style)
                          Prerequisite: Mutant, Stamina •••, and Brawl, Firearms, or Weaponry at •••
                          I was sceptical at first glance, but this a cool (and very clever) idea. The third dot feels a little undertuned compared to the earlier two, I suppose.

Variation Moderation (• to •••••) (Universal Variation)
                          Prerequisite: Amplifier (Form)

Fellow Traveller (••• to •••••) (Coactive Variation)
                          Prerequisite: Otherworldly Connection (Coactive Variation)
                          I like these, but I have to wonder why you chose to give them prerequisites like that.

It's not a big deal for Variation Moderation (where the same-Clade restriction is a big hit against its utility, instead), but for Fellow Traveller, the prereq seems like it's just there to keep non-Coactives from taking the Variation.

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
                            I was sceptical at first glance, but this a cool (and very clever) idea. The third dot feels a little undertuned compared to the earlier two, I suppose.
                            Thanks for the compliment. I agree that it feels a little under tuned after reading your post. I was thinking maybe giving the Deviant the Rote quality on Scar Finesse and Resistance rolls with the changed the Variation. That would allow them to ignore their Scar and get more successes when they use the Variation. What do you think?

Originally posted by The MG View Post
                            I like these, but I have to wonder why you chose to give them prerequisites like that.

It's not a big deal for Variation Moderation (where the same-Clade restriction is a big hit against its utility, instead), but for Fellow Traveller, the prereq seems like it's just there to keep non-Coactives from taking the Variation.
                            I appreciate the critique. I don't think there is any reason why you would need to keep the prerequisite for these Variations. My thinking for including the prerequisites was about how to make the initial Form and Clade choice during character creation more impactful mechanically. So, while this wouldn't be exclusive to Coactives, it would be most likely chosen by Coactives who chose Otherworldly Connection at character creation. In addition, I also saw the Fellow Traveller Variation as more of a prestige Variation given that it would probably be pretty dangerous to enter another realm without access to otherworldly connection. I know this path of thinking isn't for everyone when it comes to giving players more options through homebrew.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. I agree that it feels a little under tuned after reading your post. I was thinking maybe giving the Deviant the Rote quality on Scar Finesse and Resistance rolls with the changed the Variation. That would allow them to ignore their Scar and get more successes when they use the Variation. What do you think?
                              What I would do, I think, is keep the altered exceptional success condition, but also allow the character to trade out the minor Instability the exceptional success would usually heal in favour of recovering a bashing or lethal health level or a point of Willpower (the latter might have to be once per scene).

Comment

Great suggestion. Made the edit to the original post. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X