No announcement yet.

Homebrew Variations and Scars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A double post, because this idea came to me and I couldn't resist. The language is quite janky right now, but that's what critique is for.

Standard Deviation: Extrinsic Variation
    Scar Type: Controlled
    +1 Magnitude: One or more entangled Variations are separate from the Deviant's body, taking the form of items of Size 3 or less. The character can't activate extrinsic Variations unless the representative item is on her person, and they deactivate immediately if she loses it.
    Extrinsic Variations have a Durability of half Scar Resistance (round up), but no Structure. Instead, each point of damage taken subtracts one dot of effective Magnitude, which can be restored as per the Magnitude 2 effect of Maintenance. A Variation can't be destroyed beyond repair without the player's permission; the Sanctity of Merits applies.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
      Standard Deviation: Extrinsic Variation
      Scar Type: Controlled
      +1 Magnitude: One or more entangled Variations are separate from the Deviant's body, taking the form of items of Size 3 or less. The character can't activate extrinsic Variations unless the representative item is on her person, and they deactivate immediately if she loses it.
      Extrinsic Variations have a Durability of half Scar Resistance (round up), but no Structure. Instead, each point of damage taken subtracts one dot of effective Magnitude, which can be restored as per the Magnitude 2 effect of Maintenance. A Variation can't be destroyed beyond repair without the player's permission; the Sanctity of Merits applies.
      This is perfect for making a horror Thor. Would it make sense to have an option to increase the bonus magnitude to cover all of the Deviant's Variations? It would require that all of the Deviant's Variations have Controlled Scars.

Comment

• Originally posted by lladas View Post
        This is perfect for making a horror Thor. Would it make sense to have an option to increase the bonus magnitude to cover all of the Deviant's Variations? It would require that all of the Deviant's Variations have Controlled Scars.
        As it is, you could just take it for your every Controlled Scar. Going beyond that, I think, is more in the territory of a Form.

Comment

• I've been working on edits to the Externalized Form, incorporating feedback and changing some things up. I still need to think a few things over. In the meantime, I wanted to share a draft of a Variation I've also been working on. It started off as just a reskin of Integrate Technology, before taking on a life of its own.

Living Ecosystem (• - •••••, Chimeric Variation)

Overt

Tiered, Toggled

The Deviant can interface with animals and plants, achieving a unity between them and himself.

Choose either a category of non-human living organism (fish, fungi, felids, etc) or a biome (jungle, tundra, reef, etc) for this Variation to affect. This Variation has no effect on Manticores or other supernatural organisms.

At Magnitude 1, rolls to interact with or learn about organisms that fall under the Variation’s domain gain the 8-again quality.

At Magnitude 2, the Deviant can integrate organisms into himself, hiding them from the outside world and drawing on their natural abilities. The target organism’s Size cannot exceed half the Scar Power (rounded up), and the sum Size of all organisms he has integrated at any given time cannot exceed Magnitude times Scar Power. Once per scene, the Remade may substitute his rating in an Attribute or Skill for a die roll with one of those of an integrated organism. Organisms integrated enter into a state of stasis, requiring neither food, water, nor sunlight. The Deviant can eject a given organism as an instant action.

At Magnitude 3, the Deviant can call upon the natural properties of integrated organisms, utilizing their special features for himself. This could be a torpedo fish’s electric shock, a psilocybe’s hallucinogenic flesh, an octopus’s flexibility, a crocodile’s jaws, and so on. Mechanically, this could be a special ability, natural weaponry or armor, or Merit the organism possesses, or this effect can be represented by mimicking a Variation of a Magnitude no greater than half Scar Power. The Deviant can call upon one of these special qualities once per scene.

At Magnitude 4, instead of absorbing an organism into his body, the Remade merges his body with an organism or organic colony with a Size no smaller than his own and no larger than Size 30, such as a pine tree, rhinoceros, or coral reef. While so integrated, the Broken has a perfect awareness of the organism and can direct it to take any action it normally could. While integrated, any damage to the organism causes an equal amount of lethal damage to the Deviant, and if he or the organism loses consciousness, he is expelled from the organism and suffers a medium Instability.

Deviations

Biosphere (+1 Magnitude):
          The Variation can be used on any living non-human organism regardless of species or habitat.

Cryptozoologist (+1 Magnitude): The Variation can be used on Manticores and other supernatural organisms, at Storyteller discretion. The Magnitude 3 effect of this Variation can be used to access an absorbed Manticore’s own Variations, but the sum total Magnitude of Variations accessed this way each chapter cannot exceed Scar Power.

Megafauna (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant can absorb organisms whose Size doesn’t exceed Scar Power + Magnitude + Acclimation, and the maximum Size total of all organisms is calculated as Magnitude x Scar Power x Acclimation (treat Acclimation 0 as 1).

Plague Doctor (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant can additionally absorb microorganisms and parasites living inside another character’s body by touching the host. This immediately ends any relevant Conditions or Tilts. The Remade can then transfer absorbed organisms to another host with a touch, potentially inflicting them with the same malady (if applicable).

The Chimeric is nothing short of a walking jungle, though as a consequence can't stand cool or arid locales (Native Environment; Persistent).

The Coactive transports any animal she touches to an idyllic, self-contained plane of reality. Any. Always (Involuntary Stimulus; Involuntary; Resolve).

The regulated aquarium in the Invasive's chest can hold all manner of marine life, though requires occasional upkeep in order to function (Maintenance; Persistent; Stamina).
          Last edited by espritdecalmar; 08-21-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
            I've been working on edits to the Externalized Form, incorporating feedback and changing some things up. I still need to think a few things over. In the meantime, I wanted to share a draft of a Variation I've also been working on. It started off as just a reskin of Integrate Technology, before taking on a life of its own.

Living Ecosystem (• - •••••, Chimeric Variation)
            Good to see a Chimeric Variation. I can't come up with any myself.

The big thing that comes to mind is that the Magnitude 3 effect probably needs some mechanical guideline, even if it's just a placeholder value to use when more specific stats aren't available. The system has a lot more equipment and weapon stats than it has animal writeups, after all.

The second thing is that Plague Doctor feels like it could be a Deviation for Healing Touch instead. I understand why it's part of this Variation, but it's function aligns more with Healing Touch.

Comment

The big thing that comes to mind is that the Magnitude 3 effect probably needs some mechanical guideline, even if it's just a placeholder value to use when more specific stats aren't available. The system has a lot more equipment and weapon stats than it has animal writeups, after all.
              So here are a few fixes I came up with for this issue:
              • Gives access to an appropriate Variation for the ability being absorbed.
                • Limit to a list of reasonable animal appropriate variations
                • Limit the Magnitude to half of Scar Power rounded up
              • Gives an equipment bonus, weapon rating, and they gain the 9-again ability on rolls using it.
                • If it doesn't fit into that, it gives a narrative ability (e.g., flight, water breathing)

Comment

Good to see a Chimeric Variation. I can't come up with any myself.

The second thing is that Plague Doctor feels like it could be a Deviation for Healing Touch instead. I understand why it's part of this Variation, but it's function aligns more with Healing Touch.
                I think lladas covers basically the long and short of it. I'll add in some more guiding notes for that specific power. Many statted animals (out of the few that exist, anyway; let's say what the Clade Companion winds up adding) have some sort of special ability or another (like the crocodiles in Dark Eras 2), which the Deviant could access with the Variation. I'd also let them get specific Merits a given animal might possess. Other than that, it's kind of up to Storyteller fiat, but I think mimicking Variations is probably the easiest way to handle those sorts of situations.

Plague Doctor was something of a last-minute idea I had that I decided to throw in for more variety. I could see Healing Touch easily having a similar Deviation (though perhaps with broader applicability, affecting not just bacteria and parasites but any kind of affliction, such as cancers or neuropathy).

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                  I think lladas covers basically the long and short of it. I'll add in some more guiding notes for that specific power. Many statted animals (out of the few that exist, anyway; let's say what the Clade Companion winds up adding) have some sort of special ability or another (like the crocodiles in Dark Eras 2), which the Deviant could access with the Variation. I'd also let them get specific Merits a given animal might possess. Other than that, it's kind of up to Storyteller fiat, but I think mimicking Variations is probably the easiest way to handle those sorts of situations.
                  Yeah, I pictured it very much as a placeholder absent the actual thing.

I don't think I've seen any animal stats beyond the hippo and crocodile stats in DE2, really, which is why I made that suggestion.

And now...

Paranormalism, Revised (Universal Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                  Subtle
                  Perpetual, Tiered
                  The Remade commands an array of minor supernatural powers, ranging from aura reading and the invocation of spirits to unearthly luck and a bond with a living weapon. These are represented by Supernatural Merits, normally available only to Baselines, which can be found in books such as Chronicles of Darkness and Hurt Locker.
                  The Deviant need not meet the Attribute or Skill prerequisites for Merits provided by this Variation, but she must meet any Merit or Specialty prerequisites. If any effect of a Merit requires the expenditure of a point of Willpower, the first activation is free, while further activations in the same scene instead require the use of an Adaptation. All of the character’s Supernatural Merits count against the same per-scene restriction, and she can’t use Adaptations to override usage restrictions innate to the Merits themselves.
                  At Magnitude ●, the Broken gains dots of Supernatural Merits equal to half Scar Power (round up), assigned when she develops this Variation.
                  At Magnitude ●●, increase the number of Merit dots granted by this Variation to 1 + Scar Power.
                  At Magnitude ●●●, increase the number of Merit dots granted by this Variation by 1. In addition, the Remade can purchase additional Supernatural Merits with Experiences (or assign them during character creation). Merits attained this way still count as ones granted by this Variation and, if entangled with a Controlled or Involuntary Scar, are only accessible while it is active.

Deviations
                  • Intensity (+1 Magnitude): When a Merit granted by this Variation requires an innate roll, as opposed to modifying a normal attack or the like, the Remade uses the higher of her Scar Finesse pool and (1 + the default pool) instead. The roll remains resisted or contested as normal.
                  • Versatility (+1 Magnitude): Once per chapter, the Deviant can reassign one or more dots granted by this Variation to other Supernatural Merits, either permanently or until the end of the scene (player’s choice).
                  Design Notes
                  Hardly a power revision -- most of the language is unchanged – but I moved Versatility out of the main progression and added that bonus dice Deviation. It's weaker than a straight Scar Power bonus, but makes up for it, I think, by the increased growth potential and the capacity to add three different values.

Power Spike (Universal Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                  Overt
                  Tiered, Toggled
                  The Deviant’s power strains against the limits of her humanity, and unleashing it shows the conspiracies – and her – a premonition of the End Stage.
                  This Variation can’t be Persistent. Once per chapter, it allows the Remade to enhance a single other Variation (the secondary Variation) by assigning the Magnitude of Power Spike to the following effects:
                  • Force (1-5 Magnitude): Each Magnitude assigned to this effect grants a Scar-free Magnitude to the secondary Variation. This can bring the total Magnitude of the secondary Variation above 5 with Deviations, but doesn’t alter Scar Finesse rolls or Supernatural Tolerance.
                  • Frequency (1-2 Magnitude): Each Magnitude assigned to this effect grants an additional use of a once-per-scene or once-per-chapter effect without using an Adaptation. Each option can only be chosen once.
                  • Intensity (1-2 Magnitude): Each Magnitude assigned to this effect adds half Scar Power (round up) to the secondary Variation’s Scar Power or to any Scar Finesse roll to activate or direct it. Each option can only be chosen once.
                  • Resilience (1 Magnitude): This effect adds a +5 bonus to Clash of Wills for the secondary Variation, if it isn’t Persistent and Perpetual.
                  • Urgency (1 Magnitude): This effect applies the Reflexive keyword to the secondary Variation, if it doesn’t already have it.
                  These effects are assigned when the Deviant activates Power Spike.
                  The Broken may purchase Power Spike any number of times, and each time allows her to enhance a different secondary Variation. This Variation can’t be used to enhance a different purchase of itself.

The Cephalist’s prodigious mental power can only manifest partially in our reality, and it shifts like a troubled sea when it does (Fluctuating Variation; Controlled; Wits; Secondary Variation: Telekinesis).

The Chimeric develops and sheds new sensory organs as easily as others breathe, but this lighspeed evolution turns his flesh and psyche to slurry (Unstable Variation; Controlled; Dexterity; Secondary Variation: Specialized Sense).

The right command phrase removes all limiters on the Invasive’s integrated arsenal (Involuntary Stimulus; Involuntary; Resolve; Secondary Variation: Lash).

Design Notes
                  Power Spike is to Focus and Consume what Mimicry is to Untamed, but I’m not sure if enough corebook Variations can actually support a full Magnitude 5 activation to justify it going that high.
                  It can’t be Persistent partially to ensure there’s always a clear cost for this sudden increase in power, and partially to avoid the absolute headache that would come of a Relentless Power Spike.

Phylactery (Persistent Scar; ● to ●●●●●)
                  Keywords: Any; Subtle; Repeatable
                  Part of the Remade’s essence – an organ, one of the shards of her soul, or something even more esoteric – lies separate from her body, a manifest crack in the walls she’s raised around herself. She is compelled to protect or hide it, as anyone holding it can strike her at her most vulnerable.
                  The phylactery takes the shape of an object of Size 4 or less. It does not have Structure, taking only cosmetic damage from any sources of harm, and it can’t be destroyed as long as the Deviant lives.
                  At Magnitude ●, take a Beat when the Deviant exposes herself to danger or yields to social pressure to protect or retrieve her phylactery.
                  At Magnitude ●●, as Magnitude ●, and choose one:
                  • Tethered: Any character holding the phylactery receives a bonus of (6 - Scar Resistance) on rolls to track or locate the Deviant by any means.
                  • Vulnerable: If the phylactery would take damage, the Deviant takes levels of bashing damage equal to what it would have suffered. This damage can’t be healed by Variations or Adaptations, but neither can it cause lethal damage to roll over into aggravated. Additionally, the phylactery has Durability equal to half Scar Resistance (round up).
                  At Magnitude ●●●, as Magnitude ●, and choose one:
                  • Compounded: Both Magnitude ●● effects apply.
                  • Compromised: Any character holding the phylactery can force the Remade’s Doors in social maneuvering, getting their way in a single roll even with a Hostile Impression. This roll suffers a penalty equal to the lower of Doors or Scar Resistance; on a success, proceed to resolution as normal; on a failure, the effort fails utterly.
                  • Obsessed: Once per chapter, when the Deviant thinks her phylactery might be threatened or compromised, she makes a Faltering roll with Scar Resistance dice if she doesn’t pursue it. This roll can’t detach a Touchstone or make it Wavering, but inflicts Instability as normal, and can’t heal Instability on an exceptional success.
                  At Magnitude ●●●●, as Magnitude ●●●, but choose two options instead.
                  At Magnitude ●●●●●, as Magnitude ●●●, but the Deviant suffers all options.

Design Notes
                  I've had this idea for a while, buuuut I'm not sure I've done it justice. It will probably require a second pass, hopefully after some scatching critique.

Comment

• Chosen One (Form) -- UPDATED: 09.16.20
                    Perhaps your birth was foretold in an eldritch prophecy, or you represent the long-cautioned singularity of flesh and technology, whatever it is your Divergence heralds great changes coming to the world. The potent energies of fate, faith, or mission drive these Broken towards a final goal that set them apart from other Remade. However, with this great destiny comes increased scrutiny and visibility by those that know of your coming. Moreover, it is hardly clear what will happen to the Deviant should they ever actually reach the end of their journey…It’s no wonder these Remade are often incredibly rare and known to burn out quickly.

Systems: During character creation, Storyteller provides the Deviant with a long-term destiny that they are fated to fulfill. The machinations of this fate fuel the power that courses through the Remade with might even beyond those of other Broken. Once-per-chapter, when a Chosen One spends a Willpower point on a roll that aligns with their Destiny, the Remade gains the rote quality on the action. However, should the Remade neglect to further their destiny in a given chapter, they take a medium Instability.

Chosen Ones should be wary of pushing recklessly towards their destiny as word of their feats travel quickly among those in the know. Those who are familiar (or who become familiar) with the prophecy or story of the Chosen One gain a bonus to all rolls to track, investigate them equal to the number of Willpower points spent in the above fashion in the same story. Moreover, if the Remade interacts with someone who knows of the prophecy, they start off any Social Maneuvering actions against the target with either an additional or one less door depending on their impression.

Lastly, the culmination of the destiny should be left up to the Storyteller to decide, but these should be reasonably profound alterations to the world as understood by the Players.

Design Notes
                    I wanted to provide a more mechanical way to play the "Chosen One" archetype for players instead of just leaving that up to role-playing. I pulled from the MtAw Destiny Merit, but felt like it needed to be boosted a bit for it to qualify as a Form. I was thinking about making the Destiny a long-term aspiration, but I felt like that changed one of the core components of Deviant too much. I think the consequences balance out the ability to basically blast through most resistance or problems.
                    Last edited by lladas; 05-15-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• lladas I like the look of that. The only real suggestion I have is maybe movie the rote effect from Willpower to being once per scene/chapter instead, with Adaptations to enable further uses, but that might make the language of the tracking bonus too complicated.

Comment

• The MG Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, but I figured that being able to use it freely would actually just bite people in the butt by making them unable to hide at all. That might not matter though given how much power they can throw around. I wanted the power boost (and consequence) to push the player towards a climactic event.

Comment

• Originally posted by lladas View Post
                          Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, but I figured that being able to use it freely would actually just bite people in the butt by making them unable to hide at all.
                          I thought of that too, but it just sounds like a good thing.

I get what you mean, though. What if it was once-per-chapter, incentivising the player to use it frequently but not freely?

Comment

I thought of that too, but it just sounds like a good thing.

I get what you mean, though. What if it was once-per-chapter, incentivising the player to use it frequently but not freely?
                            Made the edits. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Again? Again.

Paranormalism (Universal Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                              Subtle
                              Discrete, Perpetual
                              The Remade commands an array of minor supernatural powers, such as aura reading, the invocation of spirits, or unearthly luck. These are represented by Supernatural Merits, normally available only to Baselines, which can be found in books such as Chronicles of Darkness and Hurt Locker.
                              The Deviant need not meet the Attribute or Skill prerequisites for Merits provided by this Variation, but she must meet any Merit or Specialty prerequisites. If any effect of a Merit requires the expenditure of a point of Willpower, the first activation is free, while further activations in the same scene instead require the use of an Adaptation. All of the character’s Supernatural Merits count against the same per-scene restriction, and she can’t use Adaptations to override usage restrictions innate to the Merits themselves.
                              At Magnitude ●, the Broken gains a single Supernatural Merit with a rating of three dots or less.
                              At Magnitude ●●, the Remade assigns a number of dots of Supernatural Merits equal to 2 + Scar Power.
                              At Magnitude ●●●, as Magnitude ●●, and the Remade can purchase additional Supernatural Merits with Experiences (or assign them during character creation). Merits attained this way still count as ones granted by this Variation and, if it’s Controlled or Involuntary, are only accessible while it is active.

Deviations
                              • Intensity (+1 Magnitude): When a Merit granted by this Variation requires an innate roll, as opposed to modifying a normal attack or the like, the Remade instead makes a Scar Finesse roll. If her Scar Finesse pool is smaller than the default one, she adds bonus dice equal to the difference.
                              • Versatility (+1 Magnitude): Once per chapter, the Deviant can reassign one or more Merits granted by this Variation to other Supernatural Merits, either permanently or until the end of the scene. The former can be done once per story without adverse effects, but each additional reassignment during the same story causes a medium Instability.
                              Design Notes
                              The Magnitude 1 effect of the previous versions (here and here) didn’t sit right with me, so I changed it. It does make Paranormalism compare a little too favourably to the Mag 1 effects of certain other Variations, but I’ve decided that it’s worth it to make Paranormalism 1… not shit. Making it Discrete is just a side effect of this revision.
                              I also rewrote the Deviations for slight quality-of-life improvements (Intensity can now heal Instability on an exceptional success, for example).

Comment

Again? Again.

Paranormalism (Universal Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                                Subtle
                                Discrete, Perpetual
                                The Remade commands an array of minor supernatural powers, such as aura reading, the invocation of spirits, or unearthly luck. These are represented by Supernatural Merits, normally available only to Baselines, which can be found in books such as Chronicles of Darkness and Hurt Locker.
                                At Magnitude ●, the Broken gains a single Supernatural Merit with a rating of three dots or less.
                                At Magnitude ●●, the Remade assigns a number of dots of Supernatural Merits equal to 2 + Scar Power.
                                At Magnitude ●●●, as Magnitude ●●, and the Remade can purchase additional Supernatural Merits with Experiences (or assign them during character creation). Merits attained this way still count as ones granted by this Variation and, if it’s Controlled or Involuntary, are only accessible while it is active.

Deviations
                                • Intensity (+1 Magnitude): When a Merit granted by this Variation requires an innate roll, as opposed to modifying a normal attack or the like, the Remade instead makes a Scar Finesse roll. If her Scar Finesse pool is smaller than the default one, she adds bonus dice equal to the difference.
                                • Versatility (+1 Magnitude): Once per chapter, the Deviant can reassign one or more Merits granted by this Variation to other Supernatural Merits, either permanently or until the end of the scene. The former can be done once per story without adverse effects, but each additional reassignment during the same story causes a medium Instability.
                                Design Notes
                                The Magnitude 1 effect of the previous versions (here and here) didn’t sit right with me, so I changed it. It does make Paranormalism compare a little too favourably to the Mag 1 effects of certain other Variations, but I’ve decided that it’s worth it to make Paranormalism 1… not shit. Making it Discrete is just a side effect of this revision.
                                I also rewrote the Deviations for slight quality-of-life improvements (Intensity can now heal Instability on an exceptional success, for example).
                                This works great. My only comment is whether you had any specific examples in mind to flesh out your vision. One of the Lost Boys from Hurt Locker whose implant went a little far? I could see Versatility as a way to produce a "spellcaster" or"witch" Remade.

Comment

Working...
                                X