No announcement yet.

Homebrew Variations and Scars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lost Boy could work, yes. They're basically Deviants before Deviant anyway. Aside from that, and the examples I wrote up with version one (which I didn't feel like reposting), Paranormalism could be used for Baseline psychics "elevated" to the level of the Remade, unfortunates with spellbooks carved into their flesh, Constantine-style gutter magicians, etc.

The Mag 1 effect is there to enable a specific quirk, like Dark Passenger or Phantom Limb from 2e Geist. Mag 2 is more about having a grab-bag of assorted powers, while Mag 3 lets the Deviant recover a Baseline's capacity to learn/develop Supernatural Merits. Finally, Versatility is a lateral expansion for, as you say, a "spellcaster" character.

Comment

• A new Deviation I just thought up for Subliminal Conditioning:

Subconscious Pathology (+1 - +4 Magnitude): Choose a secondary Mental or Social Persistent Scar. When the Remade's conditioning is triggered, she suffers the effects of this secondary Scar for the conditioning's duration. The Magnitude of this Deviation is equal to the Magnitude of the secondary Scar. Either Subliminal Conditioning or the secondary Scar must be Magnitude 2 or higher in order to benefit from this Deviation.

Come to think of it, I bet it's fairly common to see Deviants with both Subliminal Conditioning and Involuntary Stimulus (while Subliminal Conditioning is active). . . .

Comment

• Deimatic Display (• - •••••, Chimeric Variation)

Overt

Tiered, Toggled, Reflexive

The Deviant is capable of suddenly appearing more threatening.

At Magnitude 1, the Remade gains the Air of Menace Merit, even if he does not meet the prerequisite. The bonus provided by the Merit is the higher of half Scar Power (rounded up), or +2. If the Deviant already possesses the Merit, the player may choose to be refunded its Experience cost, or to keep it (and thus retain its normal benefits in the case that this Variation is Controlled or Involuntary).

At Magnitude 2, the Merit’s effectiveness increases. Opponents now must have more Intimidation dots than the higher of either the Deviant’s Intimidation rating or Scar Power if they wish to initiate combat without first spending Willpower, and the bonus provided by the Merit is now the higher of Scar Power or +2.

At Magnitude 3, the Remade’s display turns aposematic. Once per scene when he activates this Variation, anyone in the scene who has been injured by the Deviant in the current or previous chapter immediately loses a point of Willpower and gains the Stunned Tilt. The Deviant may substitute his Intimidation rating for Athletics when calculating Defense.

At Magnitude 4, choose one:
        • Traumatic: As Magnitude 3, but the Variation affects anyone who has been injured by the Deviant in the current story, or who witnessed the Deviant injure another character within the current or previous chapter.
        • Horrible: When the Deviant activates this Variation, any onlookers with fewer Intimidation dots must succeed on a Resolve + Composure roll (penalized by the Remade’s Intimidation) or gain the Frightened Condition (or the Beaten Down Tilt in action scenes).
        At Magnitude 5, the Deviant enjoys both Magnitude 4 effects.

Deviations

Deceptive (+1 Magnitude): Choose a secondary Variation. Attempts to identify Deimatic Display register it as the chosen Variation instead unless the observer rolls an Exceptional Success. The bonus from Air of Menace now also applies to Subterfuge rolls to confuse, distract, or feint. With the Magnitude 3 effect, the Deviant may instead choose to substitute Subterfuge for Athletics when calculating Defense.

The Cephalist uses subtle mental cues to discourage potential assailants, although due to the traumatic nature of her Divergence, nearly everyone looks like a potential assailant (Paranoia; Persistent).

The Chimeric’s octopod genes allow him to change his skin coloration rapidly to ward off threats, which is a godsend considering the comparative fragility of his boneless form (Thin Skin; Persistent).

The Coactive Symbiote is fused with a ghostly fae being that loves nothing more than inflicting spooks and frights, then reliving them through the Remade’s dreams (Addictive Variation; Persistent; Deviation: Nightmares).
        Last edited by espritdecalmar; 09-24-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SomethingFishy View Post
          Can't have enough servitor monster powers, I guess?

New Adaptations

Biophilia (replaces Untamed): The Chimeric is a social animal, drawing strength from her bonds in ways other Deviants can only dream. Whenever she could heal an Instability by interacting with a Touchstone, she can choose to regain one Willpower or heal one damage instead (bashing or lethal for minor Instability; any severity for medium or major Instability). This cannot heal damage caused by Scars or Adaptations.

Spare Parts (replaces Redundancy): The Invasive's altered body is modular, allowing her to loan out bits of herself to aid her fellow Remade. Once per chapter, the Cyborg can take over a Scar afflicting another character for a scene. The target retains full access to any entangled Variations, while the Invasive suffers the full effects of the Scar; this includes paying the cost of a Controlled Scar or making Scar Resistance rolls in place of the original bearer.

Autotomy (replaces Unpredictable): The Mutant can harmlessly sever parts of herself, only to find them disturbingly independent. Once per chapter, the Remade can reduce one or more Variations entangled with the same Scar to 0 Magnitude. This spawns an autonomous creature which possesses the severed Variations and their entangled Scar, and acts as its creator would. It uses the Mutant's traits, except as follows:
          • Its Size is 2
          • It rolls a chance die for any action that doesn't concern perception, mobility, stealth, or its Scar or Variations.
          • It can't communicate without the aid of a Variation.
          • If spawned from Persistent Variations, it gains 3 additional Health.
          If the spawn dies, or if the Mutant chooses to terminate it, the Variations recover at a rate of one Magnitude per day. Otherwise, it lasts until the Deviant reabsorbs it with a touch, fully restoring the Variations and merging everything it experienced into their memory.

Comment

• Some more Standard Deviations:

Short-Range

Scar Type:
            Any

All entangled Variations must be Directed for a Scar to take this Deviation.

+1 Magnitude: All entangled Variations have their range halved to 5/10/20.

+2 Magnitude: All entangled Variations have a maximum range of 1 meter/yard.

Embodied Variation

Scar Type:
            Any

+1 Magnitude: The Variations entangled with the Scar are connected to a specific body part or organ. A Chimeric's Telekinesis might take the form of a long, flexible tentacle, or a Mutant might register a Specialized Sense through an eyeball embedded in her right hand. Regardless of how it manifests, the Variation can be targeted with a called shot as if it were a normal body part. The attack roll suffers a penalty equal to (6 - Variation Magnitude), and if the damage is equal to or greater than the Variation's Magnitude, the Variation is disabled, the Remade losing access to it until all damage suffered is healed. At Storyteller discretion, depending on where on the Deviant's body the Variation is located, other personal Tilts might also limit or deny access to the Variation. Whenever one of the Deviant's Variations is disabled, take a Beat.

Last edited by espritdecalmar; 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
              Some more Standard Deviations:

Short-Range

Scar Type:
              Any

Embodied Variation

Scar Type:
              Any

+1 Magnitude: The Variations entangled with the Scar are connected to a specific body part or organ. A Chimeric's Telekinesis might take the form of a long, flexible tentacle, or a Mutant might register a Specialized Sense through an eyeball embedded in her right hand. Regardless of how it manifests, the Variation can be targeted with a called shot as if it were a normal body part. The attack roll suffers a penalty equal to (6 - Variation Magnitude), and if the damage is equal to or greater than the Variation's Magnitude, the Variation is disabled, the Remade losing access to it until all damage suffered is healed. At Storyteller discretion, depending on where on the Deviant's body the Variation is located, other personal Tilts might also limit or deny access to the Variation.

I thought negative Scars made magnitudes go down?

I'm sorry if I got that wrong, as the deviations have confused me in how they work with the plus-minus magnitude thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

I'm sorry if I got that wrong, as the deviations have confused me in how they work with the plus-minus magnitude thing
                Negative Scars? All Scars are negative in that they are drawbacks for the character. All Standard Deviations are added to Scars, which increases the Scar Magnitude. You might be thinking of Variation-specific Deviations (those listed under specific Variations) that are added to their associated Variations, which increases the Variation Magnitude.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Deviations raise the Magnitude of Scars and Variations without increasing the Magnitude of their core effect. A Deviation that enhances a Scar allows it to support a more powerful Variation without commensurate cost; a Deviation that enhances a Variation makes it require a stronger minimum Magnitude of Scar to support it. Negative Deviations tend to be specific to Scars whose effects can be made easier to deal with, whether by making the object of your Dependency more commonplace or reducing the likelihood you'll encounter the subject of your Phobia.
                  Last edited by Satchel; 10-22-2020, 04:11 PM.

Resident Lore-Hound
                  Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Deviations raise the Magnitude of Scars and Variations without increasing the Magnitude of their core effect. A Deviation that enhances a Scar allows it to support a more powerful Variation without commensurate cost; a Deviation that enhances a Variation makes it require a stronger minimum Magnitude of Scar to support it. Negative Deviations tend to be specific to Scars whose effects can be made easier to deal with, whether by making the object of your Dependency more commonplace or reducing the likelihood you'll encounter the subject of your Phobia.
                    Is it ok if you give an example of a Variation being effected by both kinds of deviations?

Tessie, my mistake. I meant deviations

Comment

Is it ok if you give an example of a Variation being effected by both kinds of deviations?
                      If you have a Phobia with the effects listed at Magnitude 2 supporting a Sensor Array Variation with as much Magnitude as can fit into that Scar (and it's not benefiting from the Scar-free dot from Origin, for simplicity's sake), that can look as follows:

If you're afraid of dogs of all kinds, you can support Sensor Array at Magnitude 3, or at Magnitude 2 with one of the two +1 Deviations for that Variation, or at Magnitude 1 with both.

If you're afraid of black and white dogs, you can support Sensor Array at Magnitude 2 with neither Deviation, or Magnitude 1 with one of the two.

If you're afraid of the Dalmatian Manticores your Progenitor breeds as exotic pets, you can support Sensor Array at Magnitude 1.

If you also have Nightmares about these dogs through the Standard Deviation of the same name, add one to all the numbers above.

Variations tend not to have subtractive Deviations because of their role in character advancement and the need to balance them with Scars already supplying a "make this power worse for a cost-break" methodology.

Resident Lore-Hound
                      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post

If you have a Phobia with the effects listed at Magnitude 2 supporting a Sensor Array Variation with as much Magnitude as can fit into that Scar (and it's not benefiting from the Scar-free dot from Origin, for simplicity's sake), that can look as follows:

If you're afraid of dogs of all kinds, you can support Sensor Array at Magnitude 3, or at Magnitude 2 with one of the two +1 Deviations for that Variation, or at Magnitude 1 with both.

If you're afraid of black and white dogs, you can support Sensor Array at Magnitude 2 with neither Deviation, or Magnitude 1 with one of the two.

If you're afraid of the Dalmatian Manticores your Progenitor breeds as exotic pets, you can support Sensor Array at Magnitude 1.

If you also have Nightmares about these dogs through the Standard Deviation of the same name, add one to all the numbers above.

Variations tend not to have subtractive Deviations because of their role in character advancement and the need to balance them with Scars already supplying a "make this power worse for a cost-break" methodology.
                        Ahhh ok. Thank you very much. That was a huge help!

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                          Subconscious Pathology (+1 - +4 Magnitude): Choose a secondary Mental or Social Persistent Scar. When the Remade's conditioning is triggered, she suffers the effects of this secondary Scar for the conditioning's duration. The Magnitude of this Deviation is equal to the Magnitude of the secondary Scar. Either Subliminal Conditioning or the secondary Scar must be Magnitude 2 or higher in order to benefit from this Deviation.
                          Looks solid.

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                          Short-Range

Scar Type:
                          Any

Also solid. The one change I would suggest is allowing it to entangle non-Directed Variations as long at least one of the entangled Variations is Directed (see Rebellious Variation).

Embodied Variation

Scar Type:
                          Any

+1 Magnitude: The Variations entangled with the Scar are connected to a specific body part or organ. A Chimeric's Telekinesis might take the form of a long, flexible tentacle, or a Mutant might register a Specialized Sense through an eyeball embedded in her right hand. Regardless of how it manifests, the Variation can be targeted with a called shot as if it were a normal body part. The attack roll suffers a penalty equal to (6 - Variation Magnitude), and if the damage is equal to or greater than the Variation's Magnitude, the Variation is disabled, the Remade losing access to it until all damage suffered is healed. At Storyteller discretion, depending on where on the Deviant's body the Variation is located, other personal Tilts might also limit or deny access to the Variation. Whenever one of the Deviant's Variations is disabled, take a Beat.
                          I was sceptical at first glance, but this is actually my favourite out of the bunch; it's elegant in its operation. I want to say that either the penalty or the damage require could scale off Scar Resistance, but your Magnitude-based model provides a more interesting balance.

How do you imagine Subtle Variations manifesting with this Deviation?

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                            Looks solid.

Also solid. The one change I would suggest is allowing it to entangle non-Directed Variations as long at least one of the entangled Variations is Directed (see Rebellious Variation).

I was sceptical at first glance, but this is actually my favourite out of the bunch; it's elegant in its operation. I want to say that either the penalty or the damage require could scale off Scar Resistance, but your Magnitude-based model provides a more interesting balance.

How do you imagine Subtle Variations manifesting with this Deviation?
                            Thanks, I'm glad you like it. The Magnitude-based calculations were sort of off-the-cuff, and could probably use some fiddling around with to make sure the Deviation is doing what it's intended to do. As far as Subtle Variations go, they might be represented by subdermal organs or just parts small enough to escape casual notice (Aquatic might take the form of a thin set of gills that to the untrained just come off as neck wrinkles, for instance, or Telepathy a cranial lump that looks like a cyst).

I've got one more I'm going to add to the post, but I'm still tinkering with the exact wording.

Comment

• Just want to thank The MG and espritdecalmar for being the main engines of amazing homebrew on this thread. Some of these little deviations seem so obvious and almost necessary for certain concepts once I see them here.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Adaptive Radiation (Chimeric Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                                Overt
                                Tiered, Toggled
                                The Deviant is a cauldron of life, undergoing generations’ worth of adaptation in the span of seconds.
                                This Variation allows the Remade to manifest a number of Magnitude ● Universal Variations (secondary Variations) each chapter based on the Magnitude of Adaptive Radiation: one at Magnitude ●, two at Magnitude ●●, four at Magnitude ●●●, six at Magnitude ●●●●, and nine at Magnitude ●●●●●.
                                The Deviant manifests one or more secondary Variations when she activates Adaptive Radiation, and can manifest more reflexively until the end of the scene. Toggled Variations activate as soon as they manifest, but still require an action to choose targets for Directed effects. Any manifested secondary Variations fade at the end of the scene.

Deviations
                                • Niched (+1 Magnitude): The Remade can manifest Magnitude ●● secondary Variations, counted as two manifestations against the per-chapter limit. This Deviation can’t modify the Magnitude ● version of Adaptive Radiation.
                                • Readapt (+1 Magnitude): Once per chapter, the Deviant can reassign up to Scar Power manifested secondary Variations.
                                • Speciation (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant can manifest secondary Variations from two Clades in addition to Universal ones, chosen when she develops this Deviation.
                                The Chimeric undergoes constant evolution, and maintaining human form is a struggle (Power Build-Up; Involuntary; Stamina).

Quantum-entangled with countless versions of himself, the Coactive can draw on fragments of their power, but he needs to meditate regularly to remain himself (Maintenance; Persistent).

The Mutant’s luminous, alien blood can assume almost any form (Perilous Variation; Controlled; Dexterity).

Design Notes
                                A power akin to the Biomimicry Merit or Protean ●●. By default, it’s limited to Magnitude ● Universal Variations to avoid effects like Body Snatcher and Storm-Caller, which would clash with the intended premise of partial shapeshifting. On the other hand, Rapid Healing and Deadly Ichor are fully in-theme, as are the Magnitude ●● effects of several other Variations, so I decided to compromise with the Niched/Speciation Deviations.

Familiar (Chimeric Variation; ● to ●●●●●)
                                Subtle
                                Perpetual, Reflexive, Tiered
                                The Remade has a deep, abiding connection with a “lower” lifeform. By default, this means a mundane animal, but the Deviant can have supernatural pets with the aid of Merits or other Variations (such as Manticore Companion or Otherworldly Connection).
                                In addition to any other effects, the Deviant shares the Bonded Condition (see below) with her pet, even if Familiar is inactive. If a familiar dies, she can replace it, but doing so before the end of the current story causes a medium Instability.
                                Familiar can be taken any number of times, and each instance connects the Remade to a different animal.
                                At Magnitude ●, each time the Deviant or her Familiar take damage, she can transfer the first point of damage to the other party as long as they’re in the same scene. Transferred damage ignores armour and immunities, and can’t be healed by Variations or Adaptations.
                                At Magnitude ●●, choose one:
                                • Growth: The Familiar gains a number of dots of Mental or Physical Merits equal to 1 + Scar Power, assigned when the Deviant develops this Variation.
                                • Senses: As a Directed effect, the Broken can ride the senses of her Familiar, leaving her body comatose until the scene ends or until she ends this Variation as an instant action. This counts as being in the same scene for the Magnitude ● effect.
                                At Magnitude ●●●, choose one:
                                • Balance: The Remade benefits from both Magnitude ●● effects.
                                • Rebirth: This is only available if the Deviant selected Growth as her Magnitude ●● effect. The Familiar’s Merit dots can be assigned to Variations at one-for-one ratio. This can be used to raise any Variations the Familiar might already have.
                                • Communion: This is only available if the Deviant selected Senses as her Magnitude ●● effect. The Deviant and her Familiar have a telepathic link, allowing unhindered communication across any distance. The Familiar does not need to be in range for the Deviant to ride its senses, negating all range penalties to the Scar Finesse roll.
                                At Magnitude ●●●●, choose one:
                                • Kinship: The Remade benefits from all three Magnitude ●●● effects
                                • Evolution: This is only available if the Deviant selected Balance or Rebirth as her Magnitude ●●● effect. The number of Merit/Variation dots granted to the Familiar increases to twice Scar Power (minimum 3). Additionally, the Deviant can use her Adaptations on the Familiar’s behalf.
                                • Unity: This is only available if the Deviant selected Balance or Communion as her Magnitude ●●● effect. The Deviant remains conscious while riding the Familiar’s senses, operating normally even while experiencing multiple perspectives.
                                At Magnitude ●●●●●, the Broken enjoys all three Magnitude ●●●● benefits.

Deviations
                                • Lifeblood (+1 Magnitude): When invoking the Magnitude ● effect, the Deviant can transfer points of damage up to the lower of Scar Power and half the damage taken (round up).
                                • Swarm (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant can bond with a swarm of Size 1 or 0 creatures. A swarm counts as a single entity benefiting from the Magnitude ●●● effect of Animal Transformation of the same name (Deviant The Renegades KS Manuscript Complete Preview, p. 168).
                                Messy, reciprocal organ transplants linked the Chimeric to his Manticore companion, at a severe cost to his health (Sluggish Metabolism; Persistent).

Mystic rings cauterized to his fingers grant the Invasive dominion over a menagerie of beasts (Conspicuous Appearance; Persistent).

Something about the Mutant draws swarms of vermin to her location, which is disturbing enough, but listening to their secret, droning voices is actively traumatic (Tribulation; Controllable; Wits).
                                Bonded (Chronicles of Darkness, p. 288)
                                Your character has established an extensive bond with an animal. She gains +2 on any rolls to influence or persuade the animal once per scene. The animal may add your Animal Ken to any rolls to resist coercion or fear when in your character’s presence. The animal may add your character’s Animal Ken to any one die roll.
                                Resolution: The bonded animal dies.
                                Design Notes
                                Can you tell that I love pet classes?
                                I’m pretty unsure about this one, honestly. The base effect is solid, drawing on the Familiar Tell from WtF, but the higher Magnitudes feel simultaneously too weak and too potent. I might do a second pass at a later date.

Comment

Working...
                                X