• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lladas
    started a topic Homebrew Variations and Scars

Homebrew Variations and Scars

Hi all,

Here is my first attempt at a homebrewed Variation. More are on the way, but I have to get back to my studies before I can post them in their fully drafted state. I will edit the main comment to be a master list of all contributions. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing what other people come up.
    UPDATED: 01.30.21
    Here is a link to a Google Doc containing all of the homebrews shared here: https://tinyurl.com/DtR-VSF

Remote Viewing (• to •••••) (Cephalist Variation)
    Subtle
    Tiered, Toggled
    The Remade can project their senses through a specific phenomenon present at a location. The phenomenon of choice must be relatively complex enough that it is not ubiquitous, but should also be common enough that it is found naturally. For example, eagles would be too specific whereas birds would be more appropriate. While this Variation is active the Broken’s body is in a comatose like state completely cut off from their surroundings. This Variation normally last until the end of the scene or until the Remade takes an instant action to disconnect from the phenomenon.

At Magnitude •, the Deviant can attempt to connect with the senses of their chosen phenomenon in a location they have already been to. Once present, the Remade can project their senses into another example of their viewing medium they can perceive. The quality of information is hazy at best and is not always directly on the Remade's target, furthermore the Remade cannot benefit from any Skill Specialties or Merits that would improve investigation or perception rolls. Moreover, The level of connection is limited to what senses would be available to the phenomenon, so if viewing medium lacks sensory organs that are at least somewhat similar to a mammals all rolls to perceive the surroundings suffer a -2 dice penalty. Finally, if there is no example of their phenomenon present then the Variation automatically fails. Similarly, if there is a supernatural ward present at the location the Variation also fails.

At Magnitude ••, choose one:
    • Reach: The Broken no longer needs to have been to a location to attempt to perceive it. The Broken may now sense all forms of the viewing medium in a radius equal to their Scar Power*Magnitude in miles.
    • Clarity: The connection between the Remade and their viewing medium becomes as clear as their own sight. The Remade no longer suffers any penalties to perceive through their viewing medium regardless of their chosen phenomenon.
    At Magnitude •••, the Broken enjoys the benefits of both Magnitude •• effects.

At Magnitude ••••, choose one:
    • Omnipresence: For the Broken, their sight knows no boundaries. First, the Remade’s reach extends to a radius of Scar Power*Magnitude*Acclimation in miles. Second, the Broken can now separate their senses across examples of their viewing medium as long as they are either in the range of their senses or are in a location they have previously visited. The Remade can split their perception a number of times equal to their Scar Power. The Remade can also converge their senses around a single location or target (as long as there are enough examples of their viewing medium present). In doing so, the Broken receives an equipment bonus equal to half their Scar Power rounded-up.
    • True Sight: No barriers or obfuscations can block the sight of the Remade. The Remade may now utilize any Variations that alter their perception while connected to their viewing medium. This act remains Subtle as long as the Secondary Variation and its Scar are both Subtle. Finally, when the Remade’s remote viewing would come into contact with supernatural ward they can attempt to bypass it through a Clash of Wills.
    At Magnitude •••••, the Broken enjoys the benefits of both Magnitude •••• effects.

Deviations
    • Rare (-1 Magnitude): The viewing medium is very specific, such as a specific breed or family of animal, or a rare or supernatural substance.
    • Common (+1 Magnitude): As Rare and exclusive with it, the viewing medium is instead commonplace—such as all animals or plants.
    • Universal (+2 Magnitude): Exclusive with both Rare and Common, the Broken no longer requires a viewing medium, but instead simply projects their sight to whatever location or target they can imagine.
    Like the Eye of Providence, the Cephalist can see all that is in his domain, however this has led him to seeing conspirators everywhere (Paranoia; Persistent).
    The Coactive must relive the experience of her drowning every time she projects her sight through the waters of the world, only leaving her a few moments of connection before she must gasp for air (Depletion; Controlled; Dexterity).
    The Invasive can remotely access any digital recording device as long as it is currently on (Power Failure; Controlled; Wits).
    Last edited by lladas; 01-30-2021, 11:17 AM.

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
    New Controlled Scar: Coping Mechanism
    Keywords: Secondary; Subtle; Repeatable
    Unlike most Controlled Scars, the Deviant suffers a drawback unless she uses the entangled Variation.
    Choose a Persistent Scar with Magnitude equal to this Scar’s Magnitude. The Deviant suffers the effects of the Secondary Scar whenever none of the entangled Variations are active.
    Decrease the final Magnitude of this Scar by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are Subtle. Further decrease the Magnitude by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are not likely to cause story complications when they are active.
    In cases where the secondary Scar imposes a Condition or other lingering “token” (such as Conspicuous Appearance or Misfortune), these Conditions/tokens are suppressed while any entangled Variation is active, but resume as soon as the Variation deactivates/the scene ends.
    Each instance of this Scar must apply a different Persistent Scar or one with the Repeatable keyword.

Basically the inverse of a Relentless Variation + Suppressible Variation combo. I think this better enables a number of character concepts where the power itself acts as a countermeasure to the drawback. I think this approach is balanced?
    Dig the concept generally, definitely fills a unique design niche. How should the Scar interact with Addictive Variation? That seems like one place where things might get wonky.

Leave a comment:

• Scriptorian
    replied
    New Controlled Scar: Coping Mechanism
    Keywords: Secondary; Subtle; Repeatable
    Unlike most Controlled Scars, the Deviant suffers a drawback unless she uses the entangled Variation.
    Choose a Persistent Scar with Magnitude equal to this Scar’s Magnitude. The Deviant suffers the effects of the Secondary Scar whenever none of the entangled Variations are active.
    Decrease the final Magnitude of this Scar by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are Subtle. Further decrease the Magnitude by 1 if any of the entangled Variations are not likely to cause story complications when they are active.
    In cases where the secondary Scar imposes a Condition or other lingering “token” (such as Conspicuous Appearance or Misfortune), these Conditions/tokens are suppressed while any entangled Variation is active, but resume as soon as the Variation deactivates/the scene ends.
    Each instance of this Scar must apply a different Persistent Scar or one with the Repeatable keyword.

Basically the inverse of a Relentless Variation + Suppressible Variation combo. I think this better enables a number of character concepts where the power itself acts as a countermeasure to the drawback. I think this approach is balanced?

Leave a comment:

• lladas
    replied
    Lash (• to •••••)
    Effect
    • Practical: The Lash is also a tool for a Skill chosen at purchase. While Toggled the Lash can be used as a piece of equipment, the Deviant is treated as always having a Specialty in the Skill and achieves an exceptional success on three successes instead of five. If the Lash is ranged the Broken can also make Skill rolls at range, but suffers the regular penalties for farther distances.
    Deviations
    • Ergonomic (+1 Magnitude): As Practical. Additionally, the Remade enjoys an equipment bonus on rolls involving the chosen Skill equal to half Scar Power (rounded up).

Leave a comment:

• lladas
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Hmm. Do you think those might be powerful enough to be bumped up to +2 magnitude options?

I was mulling that over as I was designing them. I think it would make sense for the Hyper Competence deviation, but making the Monstrous Transformation deviation a +1 would really limit what you could do with that Variation. I could make Protean Form not able to be changed by Adaptations.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Hmm. Do you think those might be powerful enough to be bumped up to +2 magnitude options?

Leave a comment:

• lladas
    replied
    I can't remember if someone else added these, but I thought I would drop these in here while I had the time.

Monstrous Transformation (• to •••••)
    Deviations
    • Protean Form (+1 Magnitude): The limitations of form are not known to the Deviant. Each time the Broken activates this Variation they can determine the configuration of the Scar-free Variations. However, the Broken can only activate the Variation once per chapter.
    Hyper Competence (• to •••••)
    Deviations
    • Problem Solver (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant’s impressive know-how is geared towards solving problems as they arise. The Variation becomes Toggled instead of Perpetual. Each time they activate the Variation they determine which skill(s) the Variation applies to. However, the Broken can only activate the Variation once per chapter.
    Last edited by lladas; 01-27-2022, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    I seem particularly drawn to Deviations. Maybe because they allow for such a wide range of niche characterization. Maybe because I keep coming up with Deviant concepts that don't quite line up with published material, but I can see how to make them fit. Maybe I'm just a natural-born quibbler. Anyway, I was trying to conceptualize a Scar to represent epileptic seizures, but then realized: Why reinvent the cow when there's so many in the field? So here's a Deviation for Glitch:

Triggered (+1 Magnitude): The Remade's Glitch is set off by external stimuli. Choose an uncommon but still probable condition, such as "seeing flashing lights," "taking lethal damage," or "exposed to the Extreme Cold Tilt." In addition to spending Willpower, exposure to this stimulus also activates the Scar. The base effect of the Scar must be Magnitude 2 or higher in order to take this Deviation.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    And here's one for Perilous Variation, to ensure that you can always hit Mag 5:

Disabling (+1 - +2 Magnitude): Activating the entangled Variation reduces the Deviant's physical capacities. When this Deviation is taken, choose either a moderate (+1) or severe (+2) Personal Tilt. The Remade suffers from the chosen Tilt whenever he activates an entangled Variation. Unlike with Deterioration, this cannot be avoided with a Scar Resistance roll.

--

More ideas bubble up from my inner spring, but I'd like to avoid triple-posting, so I'll edit them in here.

First is a Deviation for Face Thief:

Projection (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant may apply to effects of Face Thief to another character within range. Unwilling targets get a chance to contest this.

And second is an additional Magnitude 2 option for Sensory Deprivation:

Near/Far-Sighted: The Broken's eyesight is limited in range. Choose whether the Deviant is nearsighted or farsighted; she suffers a -2 penalty to sight-based rolls made either far away or up close, depending.
    Last edited by espritdecalmar; 09-13-2021, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    A Deviation for Phobia:

Diminishing (+1 - +2 Magnitude): The Remade's Variations are more difficult to use when confronted with his fears. If Phobia is at Magnitude 1 or 2, the Deviant must succeed on a Scar Resistance roll before he can activate or use an entangled Variation while in a scene with his Phobia. At Phobia Magnitude 3 or higher, the Deviant can't activate or use entangled Variations at all while his Phobia is present. For +2 Magnitude, this Deviation instead affects all of the Remade's Variations. This does not deactivate Perpetual Variations. Diminishing cannot be attached to a Phobia acting as a Secondary Scar.
    Last edited by espritdecalmar; 09-10-2021, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Anathema (Coactive Variation; to •••••)
    Subtle
    Directed, Tiered, Toggled
    The Deviant can curse a target in range, inflicting an unentangled Persistent Scar of a Magnitude equal to Magnitude of Anathema. Determine the Scar and all of its properties (such as the exact weakness of a Bane, and any Deviations) when the Remade develops Anathema.
    The following special rules apply:
    • If the victim is a Deviant, the curse doesn’t count against his number of unentangled Scars, doesn’t worsen with rising Instability, and can’t be used to entangle new Variations.
    • If the curse matches one of the victim’s extant, non-Repeatable Scars, he only suffers the Scar with higher Magnitude.
    • The inflicted Scar can’t be Addictive Variation or Maintenance, and can’t include any Standard Deviation that only modifies Variations (such as Target Restriction).
    • The victim can’t gain beats from the Scar’s Magnitude • effect.
    The inflicted Scar lingers for a scene, but the Remade can spend a point of Willpower to extend it to the beginning of the next chapter (potentially cursing the victim for several consecutive chapters).
    The Broken may purchase Anathema any number of times, each purchase allowing her to inflict a different Scar.

Deviations
    • Cluster (+1-4 Magnitude): Anathema inflicts an additional Scar for each Magnitude assigned to this Deviation. Additional Scars are of the same Magnitude as the first one, and the Deviant inflicts all Scars with each use.
    • Flexibility (+1 Magnitude): The Deviant can alter the inflicted Scar’s properties each time she lays a curse.
    • Sympathy (+1 Magnitude): Once per chapter, the Deviant can curse a target from anywhere in the world. This requires a sympathetic link to the target (a DNA sample, a vital personal possession, etc.) and imposes a -4 penalty to the Scar Finesse roll.
    The Cephalist can suppress the emotions of others (Tribulation; Controlled; Wits).

The Chimeric’s bite transforms people into monsters like himself (Conspicuous Appearance; Persistent; Deviation: Target Restriction; connected to a melee Lash with the Channel effect).

The Coactive can tug on the razor strands of fate to guide misfortune to her enemies (Perilous Variation; Controlled; Dexterity).

Design Notes
    A significant tightening of the previous Anathema, removing the Geas and Forbiddance options (which I’m considering spinning off into their own Variation). Sympathy became a bit more accessible, in return for being a Deviation now, and the new Cluster Deviation allows for more specific curses (such as turning someone into a frenzied wolfman with Conspicuous Appearance and Murderous Urge).
    Last edited by The MG; 07-19-2021, 09:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lladas
    replied
    A Deviation for Monstrous Transformation:

Protean Form (+2 Magnitude): The Variation becomes Tiered and the Remade can reallocate and swap out all secondary Variations upon activation. However, the Broken can only activate the Variation once per chapter.

Came up with this idea when I was brainstorming what it would take to make a Venom-like symbiote suit in Deviant. The magnitude cost might be too high to be useful but it also currently allows the player to swap out for any and all Variations. I was thinking of dropping it down to costing +1 Magnitude if it limited the Remade to selecting Universal and Clade specific Variations.
    Last edited by lladas; 06-24-2021, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SdeSpencer
    replied
    A Deviation for Maintenance.

Critical Maintenance (+0 Magnitude): Removes Toggled-Only. Your body starts to fall apart without regular maintenance. Your powers are available without restriction, however if you have not completed maintenance since the beginning of the previous chapter, you will not be able to heal naturally or supernaturally until maintenance is preformed. As well during this, if you have Volatile, after each day take 1 bashing damage.

I’m not 100% on this (might need to pump up the threat), but overall I think the concept stands well

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Disco Elysium.

Inland Empire is the Skill for hunches and imagination (you use it to "talk" with a corpse at one point); Esprit de Corps is your sense for camaraderie between police and similar bonds, as well as a sort of flash-sideways narration of other police in the city relevant to your current circumstances; Shivers is chiefly the venue for big-picture setting narration, as well as communing with the city itself; and Half-Light is, to not put too fine a point on it, your fight-or-flight reflex, as well as the personality fragment that initiates you into a thought called "Cop of the Apocalypse. "

It's a wild sort of game.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer, also kind of a coincidence, my friend was talking about getting that game. Anyway I'm done being off topic

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

May I asked the video game? Also cool Variation, I especially like that even on its own, it has the drawback of being information that is not as it seems or useless in immediate circumstances. Very Deviant
    Disco Elysium.

Inland Empire is the Skill for hunches and imagination (you use it to "talk" with a corpse at one point); Esprit de Corps is your sense for camaraderie between police and similar bonds, as well as a sort of flash-sideways narration of other police in the city relevant to your current circumstances; Shivers is chiefly the venue for big-picture setting narration, as well as communing with the city itself; and Half-Light is, to not put too fine a point on it, your fight-or-flight reflex, as well as the personality fragment that initiates you into a thought called "Cop of the Apocalypse. "

It's a wild sort of game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X