Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And after Deviants? What game archetypes are missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are also Werewolves. Hybrid monsters created by a being who lives in an alternative dimension on the Moon. Also spirit-bigfoots disappearing into portals to other dimensions is not an uncommon idea in ufology.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post

Yes. The Clades Companion will have a Form for extraterrestrials. Granted, it's geared more toward exiled, marooned, or infiltrator aliens, so it will do E.T., but not War of the Worlds, much less Star Trek.
      An E.T. style game would fit CofD much more than War of the Worlds or Star Trek. Full masquerade breach and games set in the future is Shard material, not fundamental gameline premisses. I'm looking forward to it.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      I mean, what do you angels and demons are?
      Terrestrial monsters? They're alien, but in the context of being unfamiliar non-humans. Such beings are part of all CofD games so that's a disingenious answer. Other entities even have other home realms that make them technically extraterrestrial, unlike angels and demons (except the few angels that are stationed in space, but they're likely assembled on Earth first considering the lack of humans to form Occult Matrices in space).

But as noted, Demon does have the themes of a game about aliens steering humanity for inscrutable purposes with undercover agents (that can go rogue and thus become suitable PCs). Deviant will likely do it better once the supplement comes out, but mostly because it won't require as much rewriting of the fluff to fit the premise. It'll require writing fluff (unless the supplement comes with a fitting example Conspiracy) but that's the nature of Deviant as a game.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        Terrestrial monsters? They're alien, but in the context of being unfamiliar non-humans. Such beings are part of all CofD games so that's a disingenious answer.
        We have multiple examples of angels in outer space and the Machine's point of origin is as ambiguous as it ever was.

but they're likely assembled on Earth first considering the lack of humans to form Occult Matrices in space
        Occult matrices do not require humans to form them, the Machine's temporal extension goes a long way back in cosmic history, and developer discussion on these boards has highlighted the fact that the Machine uses human systems is not an imitative effort on its part. (It also explicitly prefers to avoid making new tools if the ones it has will do the job just as well, and there is no reason to assume this only applies to cults and the postal system.)

The God-Machine is a powerful aggregate entity whose reach extends to distant parts of the material universe and which has steered events on Earth since long before human civilization gave it the capacity to operate as openly and rapidly as it currently does. It has no issue shuttering projects it has stopped using to pick them up again later, and the uses to which it puts those projects are strange in part because of its perspective focusing on a scale several orders of magnitude larger than the human point of view with knowledge of physics several times more advanced than humanity currently possesses.

None of this requires that the Machine — itself occasionally suggested to be Fallen from a still-larger system and variously broken down and recovering lost capabilities — is from Earth just because most of the rebellious pieces of it that see play are concerned with Earthly matters and split off from it on (or onto) Earth.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Yeah I think we've got most of human folklore and modern horror taken up. Deviant handled the final niche in my opinion--it handles mutants and medicine gone wrong. It handles things like the Fly. But we have a gameline that handles Slashers, we have a game about ghosts, games talking folklore in general (shadow and changeling have almost all folklore covered) its really quite comprehensive!

I'd thought about this same question for years but Deviant convinced me they've got it all now. good job Dave for finding the last remaining horror thing they hadnt done! Here anyway...

I too look forward to supplements.

Comment

Aliens are easily approached in Deviant's supplement, as both conspiracies, as more unique antagonists and even playable characters.

Characters that match the supernatural for their purposes (such as Xanatus) as well.

Gods is not something that will be addressed directly, but could be in Hunter, with chosen, imbued with these entities, as an alternative hunter type (the same goes for investigators like Cthulhu, or the tier 2 and tier 3 infrastructure) .

Things like Arimã's Demons, Lovecraftian Gods, Alternative Realities, could be covered in Supplements like Contagion.

But the other metamoforms can be completely dissociated from Werewolf, especially if they take seriously the Aztec origin that the first edition implies and use a Lord of the Flies climate (only civilization being the "island").

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
              Gods is not something that will be addressed directly-.
              *snorts*

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                *snorts*
                Yeah, we kinda have seven of a full pantheon presented as active and involved forces in Mummy 2E; that's kinda spoken for. I would enjoy the next game being about small gods, too.

Side note: I always did like the implication Iremite culture was pretty generous with the "god" label, what with their religion holding that men could become gods, that calling on a Pillar from within you is the same as calling down its patron to help you, and everything to do with the Faithful of Shulpae. I always had it that they had the idea that if you had inherent supernatural power, you were obviously a tiny divinity of some kind; didn't really make you that special, what with having a name and all, but you were still higher on the cosmic ladder than (their idea of) demons, who needed someone else to give them identity. Ties in with the whole Sword and Sorcery theme; Irem was a land of many, many gods, most of them pretty dark from an outsider's perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Yeah, we kinda have seven of a full pantheon presented as active and involved forces in Mummy 2E; that's kinda spoken for. I would enjoy the next game being about small gods, too.

Side note: I always did like the implication Iremite culture was pretty generous with the "god" label, what with their religion holding that men could become gods, that calling on a Pillar from within you is the same as calling down its patron to help you, and everything to do with the Faithful of Shulpae. I always had it that they had the idea that if you had inherent supernatural power, you were obviously a tiny divinity of some kind; didn't really make you that special, what with having a name and all, but you were still higher on the cosmic ladder than (their idea of) demons, who needed someone else to give them identity. Ties in with the whole Sword and Sorcery theme; Irem was a land of many, many gods, most of them pretty dark from an outsider's perspective.
                  Oh, no, that's half-well.

That's almost half the joke. The fullness of that first half is "A god is just a monster you kneel to", which isn't hard to execute in every gameline-the powerful and old entities are certainly godly and weird beings whose presence calls for the bending of the knee to, and further exploration of that pantheon is certainly something to explore.

The other half of the joke?

It's an in-joke.

For now.
                  Last edited by ArcaneArts; 11-06-2019, 12:22 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Making up some fake logic, if we group all the lines in 3s, then there's a third to the triad for Beast and Deviant. If we take this up as the emotional theme of the three intelligence centers, then we already have Fear for Beast and Anger for Deviant, so what we're missing is Shame.

There are other gamelines that can explore shame, of course, so there needs to be something else. In this case, Fear and Anger aren't really themes of the line characters, but instead fuel sources. So how could your shame fuel your powers? What could you be ashamed of, and how would you draw strength from that? This says to me something about how your abilities are derived very specifically from your own failures.

There are some obvious directions to go with that: flaws that generate perks, learning experiences, etc. But I don't think that that really works. Instead, I'd look at the idea of children. Specifically, being the parent of a child who just keeps fucking things up. Someone who you have no real control over anymore, but who you still feel responsible for. Someone who you feel shame for, possibly because they themselves seem to refuse to.

I wouldn't go literal, of course. Instead I might look into something like being a creature that spawns sentient little gremlins, for instance, or who can't help but create life in the same way Midas created gold. You could make them range from ridiculous to squicky pretty easily. Your powers could lean towards shaping what you create, but there's a fundamental limit to the actual control you have, since otherwise that would take away from the point. You can do a standard kind of trope like selfish characters being ashamed of how helpful their offspring are, too.

That's my two cents.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                    An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                    Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Pantheon gods will never be playable, so they won't be worked out directly. However, behind the scenes, as forces acting on the lines, it is something that is somewhat worked on and can be expanded to include any possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                        Pantheon gods will never be playable, so they won't be worked out directly. However, behind the scenes, as forces acting on the lines, it is something that is somewhat worked on and can be expanded to include any possibility.
                        Like the whole pre-exisiting menagerie? No, admittedly unlikely.

But, like, Tiamat? Izanami? Ītzpāpālōtl? Myriad others? Or in a different direction, new gods for a new age?

Already done.
                        Last edited by ArcaneArts; 11-06-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I would like expanded Hedge Magic for CoD as full splat, instead of just a handful of merits that impersonate it

Comment

I am down for a full alien gameline

Comment

Aliens, with Aliens I even think they can come in as Deviant Antagonists (it's even kind of possible to play with one).

And also as antagonists in a book like Contagion. With not only invading space aliens, but beings of other dimensions, realities, and eras.

Comment

What would even an alien game be that isn't covered by Changeling, Beast, Demon, or Promethean, or...any of the games, really? Strangers in a strange land is covered, and so is having inhuman impulses, compulsions, and thought processes.

I could be convinced to play a game of Demon where you infiltrate Area 51, where the God-machine brings abducted victims to probe them and create Stigmatics.

Comment

Working...
                                X