Which abilities are "auras"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which abilities are "auras"?

Vampires can lash out with their predatory aura. Mages can flare their nimbus. And Sin-eaters can flare their liminal aura. All three abilities can be used to counter themselves, and other types of "auras" as well ... meaning they can counter each other. All fine and dandy.

Are there, in fact, any abilities of other splats that these "auras" can counter? I had thought that Hunter's Aspect (werewolves) was an aura, but in fact it can't counter itself. I've seen arguments that inciting bedlam (changelings) counts as an aura, but again it can't counter itself. Do those powers count, after all? And if so, what defines a power as an aura?

Renown Flare is the Werewolf Aura.

Not all splats have an aura ability-Changeling, Deviant, Beast don't have them.

It's a little bit of a nebulous concept overall.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Changelings have Bedlam (unless I'm remembering the wrong second edition) but as stated it's a nebulous concept. Bedlam and Renown Flare aren't extensions of auras as much as they simply fill the same conceptual space as "aura flares". On top of that, the Predatory Aura is also a mundane expression of a predatory nature so vampires can potentially recognise other predatory monsters even if they have no auras to speak of, such as werewolves. (On the other hand, when Werewolf 2e was released Hishu got the Sheep's Clothing advantage so vampires should probably only recognise them when in non-human forms.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I never would have thought of flaring Renown as an aura, since it affects just the werewolf doing it.

So what's the principle? An aura is something that says "this is a monster" to anyone looking, and can be intentionally "flared" for effect? It needs the intentional activation part, because otherwise Promethean Disquiet would be an aura, which it clearly isn't, mechanically.

Changelings IIRC don't have anything that marks them as of Faerie to passersby - quite the opposite, in fact, because they have the Mask to hide what they are. Demons work the same way with Cover; they inherently conceal their true natures, so they don't get an aura.

Comment

The problem is that you're using a definition not used by the games. If we're going to be really technical about it only the Nimbus, the Liminal Aura and Disquiet fits the textbook definition, with Predatory Aura being an edge case due to it not actually surrounding the vampire.
          What the games do have is the conceptual space for each splat to passively and/or actively exude an effect as an inherent ability with some rules overlap. Dat does definitely disqualify Disquiet, but it also definitely includes both Bedlam and Predator's Aspect (which fits more than flaring Renowns, now that I'm sitting down with the books).

Passive "Auras":
          Vampire: Predatory Aura
          Werewolf: -
          Mage: Long-Term Nimbus
          Changeling: -
          Geist: Liminal Aura

Activated "Aura" Effects:
          Vampire: Lashing Out
          Werewolf: Predator's Aspect (and flaring Renown, to a lesser degree)
          Mage: Immediate Nimbus flaring (mages also have specific rules for defending against other active aura abilities)
          Changeling: Bedlam
          Geist: Aura Flare

Demons, Deviants and Prometheans don't have any of either variety, unless I've missed something or just plain forgot it. Beasts have Family Resemblance which is a passive detection effect, but it is conceptually almost identical to Predatory Aura so worth bringing up.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

For Changelings I think the closest thing they have to the aura "mechanic" is scouring their Mask to reveal their Mein.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Would you mind explaining your reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                Would you mind explaining your reasoning?
                Sure!

The image I have in my head for all of these aura flare-type abilities is Gandalf the White revealing himself, an unmasking of power, if you will.

Obviously the Gandalf example is Mage-centric, but the general idea of burning through the mundane to awe people with your intrinsic nature is more broadly applicable. Vampires do it by unchaining their Beast, Werewolves do it by flaring their Renown brands, Mages do it by causing their nimbus to be visible to mortal sense; to me it follows that a Changeling dropping their Mask in dramatic fashion is of the same general idea.

I think a Demon burning their cover to "go loud" is in the same ballpark, as well. Iirc a Beast can do something similar with their monstrous soul, as well.

But that's just my thoughts on it, I make no claim to insight on canon.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
                  I think a Demon burning their cover to "go loud" is in the same ballpark, as well. Iirc a Beast can do something similar with their monstrous soul, as well.
                  Beasts reveal their Horror to anyone with supernatural senses any time they make use of an Atavism, and while it's much lower-utility for specimens that aren't especially potent or desperate, the demonic ability to use Primum as Supernatural Tolerance while under Cover fills a similar revelatory niche.

Resident Lore-Hound
                  Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Beasts reveal their Horror to anyone with supernatural senses any time they make use of an Atavism, and while it's much lower-utility for specimens that aren't especially potent or desperate, the demonic ability to use Primum as Supernatural Tolerance while under Cover fills a similar revelatory niche.
                    Right, but I'm looking at it specifically from an "awe the Mortals" point of view (even if it has ancillary uses). Something perceivable only by supernaturals doesn't fit that criteria, in my mind.

Comment

I would not call that an aura, but now that I get what you mean I think Prometheans also have a similar thing whenever their Disfigurements show due to using Pyros.

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

Sure!

The image I have in my head for all of these aura flare-type abilities is Gandalf the White revealing himself, an unmasking of power, if you will.

(...)

While "going loud" grants a demon access to all of its Forms, Technologies and Processes and maximum Primum, it does not have a specific mechanical effect on mortals (or anyone else) viewing it. Depending upon the character design it might frighten, inspire or puzzle an on-looker, but there's no default effect.

Comment

I can t find this ability description, is it in the core book?

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

I can t find this ability description, is it in the core book?
                            Supernatural Bulwark, p183 of Demon Core.

Resident Lore-Hound
                            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Supernatural Bulwark, p183 of Demon Core.
                              Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X