The Headcanon Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Headcanon Thread

So every CofD fan probably has their own interpretation of the setting which is not supported by canon at best and outright contradicting it at worst. As I think that hearing what other ways people expand/ change in their versions of the setting is interesting, and Exalted has a similar thread, I thought why to not start a similar one for our own, dark world. So if anyone has some facts and tidbits about the game which they would like to share, this would be the place to do so, so just feel free to share your ideas about any of the CofD's games!

Here are few examples-

- the Contagion is not a disease as much as it is a curse. Or more exactly, curses. The First Children from the Testament of the Pain Prophet? Each of the survivors had the ability to lay a terrible curse upon mankind, and each such curse is yet another strain of the Contagion- and as not everyone has used their curses, we may have some new and terrible times waiting to happen upon us.

- the Black Sun Map is actually a thing. It is, in fact, the "blueprints of the God Machine". If one were to complete it, they could access the Command and Control Infrastructures if the God Machine and reprogram it to stop maintaining the status que and actually do something.

- once every five years, the leaders of all hunter conspiracies and most important compacts gather together in a lone castle in Prague. They have dinner together, exchange some information, drink some wine, have laughs and then return home. Network Zero are not invited.

- unlike many other dead things, vampires still have a soul. It is just trapped in their body in the moment of death, and slowly decays into its elements. The remains of the soul, or the "decayed part" is the Beast- so when the soul is rotten completely, only the Beast remains, hence becoming a Draugr.

I'll a few others later. Feel free to add your own!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

is this for each gameline, our own settings with only some of the gamelines being canon, or a very crowded "every gameline is here" Chroniclesverse?

Edit: finally thought of a couple.

The soul has multiple parts just like Mummy said, corresponding to something like the five Egyptian portions of the soul. From memory: The Shadow, The True Name, The Ba (seat of personality), The Heart (your emotional capacity) and Life Force. Mages only deal with a portion of the soul with death magic, but there are secret arts that use all five arcana to mess with the entire soul. What happens when you mess with that? ask the Demons

Souls, or at least part of them, used to be the Spirits of Homo Habilis or some other pre-human ancestor. At some point, after millions of years of Claimings, they underwent a process similar to what happened with the mitochondria and chloroplasts and became near-mindless endosymbionts. They got a regular source of human-flavored Essence and humans got both the anti-possession defense system known as Integrity and perhaps even the ability to be transformed into the splats. The fact that they are interchangeable between people is the last remnant of their independent nature, as they can survive on any Human Essence.
    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 11-12-2019, 06:27 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
      is this for each gameline, our own settings with only some of the gamelines being canon, or a very crowded "every gameline is here" Chroniclesverse?
      All of the above :P (that is, no crossover is required, nor it is forbidden)

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

More of them.

Luna can still cause Ghouls to undergo the First Change, as she is the Goddess of Change and the stasis of Vitae means nothing to her.

All of Acrozatarim's work is canon. All of it.

All of LostLight and TheKingsRavens Jewish and Israeli Hunter Orgs are canon.

Horrors can be shaped into replicas of the public image of particularly infamous non-Beast Apexes. Whoever is Devoured by this horror gains unbreakable Family Ties with that person, even if they are a Demon or even entirely mundane.

Comment

I have a few, but my two big ones are these:
          • Prometheans are pulled "up" from the Lower Depths in a parallel fashion how Mages are "pulled up" into the Supernal. This is why the Created cause Disquiet and Wasteland, why they don't have a soul, and why Pandorans are just so damn hungry.
          • Just as there are a multitude of beings you can call "angels" or "demons," there are a handful of different types of "ghosts" that people sometimes leave behind, and a couple alternative "Underworlds" to go with them, Duat being a possibility.

Comment

Hedge Ghosts in the material reside in Mind-Frequency Twilight with Goetia, Emotional Spirits and Vampires using Auspex 5. Maybe even in the Hedge too.

Comment

The Osiran Promtheans where created from a poorly remembered Rite of Return ritual.

They tried to make a Mummy they got a Promthean. Not the most disastrous thing that could happen if you screw up a Occult ritual. But disappointing non the less.

Comment

Luna is Gaia, torn from her cradle by the formation of Earth's moon, where her displaced drive for self-preservation formed her into the only known source of lunar spirits. The idigam are born from the ragged edges of her primordial essence, and the void she once occupied formed the basis of her role in the spiritual tides of the Shadow.

Resident Lore-Hound
                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Lost is it okay for me to make a wod version of this thread?

Comment

Judges are idigam who coalesced and formed some of the first concepts of law.

Fire hosts are totally a thing.

GM's omnipresence through time and space is an increasingly sprawling attempt to keep itself from being destroyed that makes it increasingly more vulnerable and so must increasingly work to spread itself.

Neither would realize it and it wouldn't matter if they did, but hunters of the Vigil are following lessons from the Uratha Sahenhar.

There is no hard 'no' to anything. Everything that's supposedly impossible in Chronicles has a workaround. This doesn't mean it's easy.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      Judges are idigam who coalesced and formed some of the first concepts of law.

Fire hosts are totally a thing.

GM's omnipresence through time and space is an increasingly sprawling attempt to keep itself from being destroyed that makes it increasingly more vulnerable and so must increasingly work to spread itself.

Neither would realize it and it wouldn't matter if they did, but hunters of the Vigil are following lessons from the Uratha Sahenhar.

There is no hard 'no' to anything. Everything that's supposedly impossible in Chronicles has a workaround. This doesn't mean it's easy.
                      Who's Sahenhar? Sounds cool

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                        Who's Sahenhar? Sounds cool
                        A faction from the neolithic period, the Shepherds who took to humanity to protect them (and help them protect themselves).

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

A faction from the neolithic period, the Shepherds who took to humanity to protect them (and help them protect themselves).
                          Nice! I thought Sahenhar might be an individual

Comment

There is nothing in the setting resembling a personal God, nor any just afterlife for the soul.

Hell exists. It waits on the other side of the Wounds. Its population is small, comprised mostly by those who struck Hell's greatest and most heinous bargains. The demons of the Inferno spend little time in Hell. Why would they? It is they who command the prison gates.

Hedge Ghosts exist in a "new" fae layer of Twilight. So much about their insubstantiality (and that from the one Shield Contract) matches how Twilight works that it feels contrarian to assert otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                              Lost is it okay for me to make a wod version of this thread?
                              Like, in the WoD forum? Yeah, sure. I copied it from Exalted after all :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X