What should the 12th CoD game line be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omegaphallic
    started a topic What should the 12th CoD game line be?

What should the 12th CoD game line be?

Okay so Deviant is the 11th CoD game line and CC is technically blue book so doesn't count.

What would you like to see as the 12th CoD game line?

Picking in the horror genre are getting slim. I can think of only a few choices, Aliens, Killer Clowns (IT, Joker, ect...), Dark Gods, Succubi, Lovecraftian Horrors (technically touches upon Aliens and Dark Gods), Apocolyses (like survives from another worlds apocolyses), Cultists, or take a fantasy none horror trope and put a horror spin on it like cannibal dwarves.

Personally I'd go with Aliens worshipping Lovecraftian Gods aka Alien: the Dark Faithful, or Carnival: The Killer Clowns or Succubi: The Spanking.

• Professor Phobos
    replied
    I could see an Alien/Leviathan/Ultraterrestrial/"Drop-In"/metamorphic invader/body snatcher/Deep One/teleportation accident game. That stuff is probably the biggest horror subgenre yet untapped. I imagine some sort of alien infection that gradually overwrites the human body and mind, and the characters are attempting to slow their transformation as much as possible. The Thing, Alien, The Fly, etc. Deviant/Promethean cover like 50% of sci-fi horror, there's still some stuff to work with. I haven't read the Contagion chronicle, though. "My character is slowly being overwritten by the incomprehensible alien divinity at the other end of a dimensional warp simply because he had the bad luck to Perceive It and be Perceived By It." That kind of stuff.

I could also see "Alternate Take" game lines. Mage, for example, matches a lot more closely to the urban fantasy subgenre of wizards-who-ride-the-subway than it maps to occult horror sorcery tropes. Sorcerer: The Sorcerering could be about making terrible pacts with unpleasant Sources and trying to cheat the system with knowledge, cunning, and ever-aggregating spiritual debt. Gutter sorcery and black magic type stuff. Breaking Bad, but with magic instead of meth. More John Constantine than Harry Dresden.

In the spirit of Dark Eras, I could see "Chronicles of Darkness: Apocalypse" which goes for the "post-apocalyptic" horror subgenre. There's at least two "vampires overrun the world" movies on my Netflix front page that I'll never click on but there are any number of monster+end of world stories out there. A book full of various End Times could be fun.

Leave a comment:

• Jcsingleton1834
    replied
    The IT clown was an alien, but it ate children and scared them to make them taste better. So, that I think is mostly a BEAST game. Since the focus of these games is horror, I like the idea of a book about playing humans that are insane with horrific delusions. So, like a child who thinks their parents are werewolves, but finds that they aren’t only after he has killed them. Or a guy who starts believing his wife is a hat. These kinds of stories are more terrifying than so many monsters to me. Maybe these are more things that the storyteller would do who knows.

Maybe also rules for playing with disabilities. Since people are having limbs ripped off all the time by werewolves, maybe that needs its own book. Imagine being a cripple in a world full of supernatural monsters. Maybe a splat book could be a cripple who can’t get out of bed, but controls world with his mind.

Leave a comment:

• Yackronin
    replied
    Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
    Personally, I think there's a shortage of classic horror archetypes left that are iconic enough to be full splats. That's an opinion, everyone is free to disagree if they want.

What I would like to see is more of a book devoted to several minor templates and merit-based supernaturals, aiming to cover a variety of smaller thematic spaces instead of one larger one. And barring that, just a broader and deeper focus on the splats that already exist.
    Didn't Hurt Locker do something like this? I'd be hella down for another book along those lines, maybe coupled with an Innocents 2e conversion. this seems a lot better to me than another full splat.
    Immortals, Heroes, Ghoules, Fae-Touched, Ghosts, and Stigmatics, for instance, are all incredibly interesting because of their simplicity, I'd love to see more along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    The CofD isn't going to introduce an overarching Umbra, or the Triat from the WoD for a few key reasons:

1) The CofD and WoD are trying to be distinct brands, and that would be counterproductive to that effort.

2) The CofD allows all of the Realms to be their own things to give each game line freedom to have a Realm that suits the needs of the game. Overarching Umbra, and having the Triat permeate everything, curtails authors from making good tools for the games.

3) It was be a massive retcon and so on.

Also the G-M is not the Weaver in a lot of really key ways.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
    I'm starting to get into CofD after being immersed with Changeling: The Lost. One thing I would recommend is making a new spatline that reintroduces the Umbra and you can be one of the Spirits that dwell within of the areas in it. The God-Machine already is technically the Weaver just more involved. I don't know what the Wyrm will be, but I guess the Wlyd is kinda covered the force of the Wyrd?
    The Umbra has been pretty well devoured by the host of other worlds that took wildly different (and more creative) tacts to their spectrums.

And no, the Wyrd and the Wyld are not compatible.

Leave a comment:

• Shakanaka
    replied
    I'm starting to get into CofD after being immersed with Changeling: The Lost. One thing I would recommend is making a new spatline that reintroduces the Umbra and you can be one of the Spirits that dwell within of the areas in it. The God-Machine already is technically the Weaver just more involved. I don't know what the Wyrm will be, but I guess the Wlyd is kinda covered the force of the Wyrd?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    I'm pretty sure (because Arc's talked about it a lot) Beast 1.5 would just be rewriting the text to be more coherent thematically and mechanically, work in some of the Players Guide stuff, and so on.
    I will happily admit here:

How Beast can be reworked is one of my two major obsessions in terms of writing. I think I've missed the current pitch period, but I am not leaving Beast alone.

And a lot of it is in line with the previous commentary you're referring, and in the same spirit-But oh man I want Beast.

EDIT For Clarity: This does not mean anything is happening yet. I have nothing to report on the subject. I may end up never having anything to report on.

But for now, the main follow-up is yet.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-15-2020, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• xiongrey
    replied
    Isn't there at least two other threads going for this exact topic ("Which gameline post-Deviant")?

That said, to restate from before, Djinn of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• DontEatRawHagis
    replied
    I put too much effort into this.

Zombie: The Undying

Undead story about the pitfalls of bringing back the dead as well as touch on self destructive addict archetype. Leans on body horror and gore. Instead of Integrity uses Decay. The lower the Decay the less you pass for human and the more you require brains to feed.

Inspiration from:
    • iZombie - Zombie Detective that can eat people's brains and take on their memories and personality.
    • Left 4 Dead - Zombie mutations that result into various sub-types, i.e. the Witch, Tank, Hunter, Smoker, Boomer, Jockey, Spitter, and Charger.
    • Resident Evil - Biological Weapon angle.
    • Game of Thrones - White Walker zombies acting as generals.
    • Pirates of the Caribbean - Zombies created by a curse.
    • Zombie Survival Guide - Classic book by Mel Brook's son.
    Antagonists:
    • Reapers - Death doesn't like being cheated, even if you didn't choose to become Undead the Grim Reapers can sense your decaying flesh. Normally a passive observer of death when Grim Reapers detect someone cheating the system they try to fix it. This can result in a dead Zombie or in a Zombie bargaining with Death to stay alive in exchange for feeding the Reaper more undead. Reapers see Liches as prize targets as they are Undead that beget Undead.
    • Zombie Horde - Some people are lucky in undeath, but those that aren't become mindless murderous Zombies. More powerful Zombies can subjugate these infected and keep them as a horde, as servants.
    • Necromancers - Come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The one shared goal is conquering death. Not avoiding death, but truly bringing people back to life. Range from Umbrella Corporation to Dr. Frankensteins.
    • Liches - Liches are a combination of Zombies and Necromancers. They are fabled, only spoken of in whispers by the older undead. Liches have a powerful effect on Zombies with low Decay and create gangs or even armies of undead. Liches have phylactery, but have to be within a specific radius of it depending on their power level. (No shoot my phylactery into space b.s.)
    • Hunters - Classic.
    Zombie Culture
    All Zombies have the hunger for human flesh. All Zombies have a Necromancer looking to study/capture/reclaim them. Most zombies are legally dead, but there are cases where a Zombie's death doesn't reach their family before they are brought back to life. Zombies are pack animals and organize themselves into hordes and mobs. Typically undead need a steady supply of fresh meat or begin to decay.

Zombie Hordes are typically lead by group mentality. But a council is usually created, typically involving several Mob leaders working together to a singular goal. This can result in Mobs leaving a Horde if they don't like the direction things are going. In rare cases, Zombie Hordes are taken over by a singular Necromancer or Lich. Though if Zombie Hordes feed regularly they can typically avoid this fate.
    • Cause
      • Infected - Zombies infected by a virus that mimics rabies. The source has not been pinned down, but researchers have been surprised by the multiple strains they have found.
      • Cursed - Sometimes undeath is a curse placed upon locations. These areas are typically Open. But bodies buried there are cursed to rise.
      • Revenants - Sometimes when a person has unfinished business their souls return as Ghosts. Revenants forgot the part about leaving the body.
      • Voodoo - In powerful rituals a living person can become an undead servant. The bound had a more direct relationship with their Necromancer.
    • Philosophy - I'd hope to mimic the stages of withdrawal or grief though I believe these may have already been done.
    Zombie Abilities
    • Convert Lethal to Bashing
    • Aggravate Damage if Headshot.
    • Can reattach limbs, if destroyed can replace with someone else's limb.
    • Zombies heal by eating dead bodies.
    • Some zombies can see people's memories if they eat their brain.
    • Some zombies can detach their limbs.
    • Some zombies can "play dead".
    • Some zombies can see ghosts.
    • Some zombies can "rage" to increase their speed/strength.
    • Some zombies are just bones
    • Some zombies have acid blood.
    • Some zombies can attract other zombies.
    • Some zombies have adjustments in their size.
    • Some zombies have mutations.
    Last edited by DontEatRawHagis; 01-14-2020, 04:07 PM. Reason: Added some extra abilities

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    I'm pretty sure (because Arc's talked about it a lot) Beast 1.5 would just be rewriting the text to be more coherent thematically and mechanically, work in some of the Players Guide stuff, and so on. The Cenobites aren't a bad example because (even if more likely as antagonistic Beasts guided to a strange Inheritance via some mysterious artifact) are actually completely doable with Beast, but how is probably more involved than it should be.

Nightbreed, to me at least, feels way more like a Deviant inspiration.

Edit:

Yeah. Something like a 2e update to Skinchangers (possibly including a well revised Changing Breeds with it), Immortals, and so on would be nice. I'm guessing that there's only so much interest in retreading 1e stuff that isn't really that hard to update to 2e though.
    Last edited by Heavy Arms; 01-14-2020, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gryphon's Feather
    replied
    Personally, I think there's a shortage of classic horror archetypes left that are iconic enough to be full splats. That's an opinion, everyone is free to disagree of they want.

What I would like to see is more of a book devoted to several minor templates and merit-based supernaturals, aiming to cover a variety of smaller thematic spaces instead of one larger one. And barring that, just a broader and deeper focus on the splats that already exist.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    Beast: The Primordial 1.5 Edition.
    Now with more edge and revenge fantasies? I would really dig a game more like Clive Barkers Nightbreed or hellraiser imo.

Leave a comment:

• HelmsDerp
    replied
    Ok just to be entirely clear: That was a joke. I was poking fun at the way we already have several unrelated demons and at least three capital B Beasts (Vampires', Primordial, the Changeling seeming) as well as the confusion over whether Requiem is a second edition of Masquerade.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    No, it isn't.

We're not going to see a full game that's "X but different than the game already called X." KotE wasn't even that, because it was never a full game.

We might see more (there's already plenty even if not all updated to 2e) vampires as either specialized builds within other games or minor character types.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X