No announcement yet.

Dark Eras 2 Backer Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its fine for people who wants it but I can pull more than a few games off the shelf that deal with Nazi punching so why would I play this one? it doesn't really give me anything new other some cool deviant mechanics.

Comment

I found the best era to be the Seven Wonders by far, so much cool stuff, love it, love it, love, it loved it. This one while get it's own post later, so much to feast on.

The Golden age of Islam was great and gave us what is now my favourite Vampire Clan and several cool covenants. Has anyone else figured out a Dukhan Vampire that is a Chamber for a Beast can be used by a Helldiver Changeling as a door way into the Astral?

Hawala was really cool, but I wished that werecrocodiles weren't so locked into the era.

I've never really been into the American Western thing, but the crossover mechanics in that chapter are the best mechanics in the entire book, really usable in any of the eras. As a Canadian bonus points on flipping the bird to manifest destiny and its arrogance.

The Pirate stuff was awesome, the Codex Company is something I could see repurposing for the Seven Wonders Era, but make it an Athenian or Lycidian League Nameless Order. The flying Dutch Man is fun.

The Tenth Choir is wicked cool, but imagine a Dukhan joining them, and traveling right into the Astral Plane to hunt Goetic Angels.

Weakest eras were the Golden Age of Sci because

1) tens of thousands of American men and woman did not fight and die in world war 2, tens of thousands of MEN fought and died in WW2, far too many without a choice in the matter thanks to conscription, military slavery. Don't get me wrong, woman contributed as nurses and other support staff and American 16 women were killed by enemy fire, but American women did not fight and die on the front lines and its disrespectful to the sacrifices men (American/Canadian/British/ect...) who died made m to suggest otherwise. Women weren't allowed to fight on the front lines, but I'm sure some of them would have if they could have (which might not apply to French Resistance Fighters I'm not sure).

2) more of it should have actually been about sci fi instead of the authors punch an American nazi fantasies. But I guess it's better that the author role play it, then get themselves hurt attacking some dangerous neo nazi in RL. I want the author to live a long and health and safe and happy life

3) that era of sci fi is over rated and I firmly believe that the real Golden Age of Sci Fi was in the 1990's, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Andromeda Ascendant, Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1, Earth Final Conflict and so much more.
      Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-17-2020, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Having checked that it wasn't a deliberate change to plans, there's a crucial one-word mistake in the Prelacy of Secrecy for Geryon in the Pirate era. It doesn't make ephemeral entities subject to Quiescence as though they were Sleepers (ie, spirits and ghosts forget the Prelate's spells), it makes them subject to it as though they were *spells* (ie, Sleepers forget about ghosts and spirits that are around the Prelate).

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

1) tens of thousands of American men and woman did not fight and die in world war 2, tens of thousands of MEN fought and died in WW2, far too many without a choice in the matter thanks to conscription, military slavery. Don't get me wrong, woman contributed as nurses and other support staff and American 16 women were killed by enemy fire, but American women did not fight and die on the front lines and its disrespectful to the sacrifices men (American/Canadian/British/ect...) who died made m to suggest otherwise. Women weren't allowed to fight on the front lines, but I'm sure some of them would have if they could have (which might not apply to French Resistance Fighters I'm not sure).

2) more of it should have actually been about sci fi instead of the authors punch an American nazi fantasies. But I guess it's better that the author role play it, then get themselves hurt attacking some dangerous neo nazi in RL. I want the author to live a long and health and safe and happy life

3) that era of sci fi is over rated and I firmly believe that the real Golden Age of Sci Fi was in the 1990's, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Andromeda Ascendant, Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1, Earth Final Conflict and so much more.
          Spoken like someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

1) Wrong. Just plain wrong. Men were directly shot at, but the Germans bombed hospitals too, just to start with that tidbit, and that's not even getting into all the other women directly endangered by the war. They're soldiers too, even if they didn't get a gun and credit for it.

2) Given how the American Nazi Party was a thing, and the then-acceptable fascist elements of sci-fi were very present, I find this criticism provincial at best; that was the era people were fighting over the soul of science fiction, often with people who were openly Nazis or sympathetic to them. On a related note, nice concern troll; neo-Nazis generally deserve to be attacked, and more often than not run screaming in the opposite direction from someone they suddenly realize actually doesn't tolerate them and is willing to enforce it. They deserve to be punched, deserved to be punched, and will always deserve to be punched. The reason it will always be popular is because it will never be wrong.

3) Your nostalgia is showing - and many of the ideas those shows gestated from originated in what is known by actual publishing houses as the Golden Age of Science Fiction.

Comment

To the point that DS9, one of the shows mentioned, paid repeated homage to the Golden Age.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

1) Wrong. Just plain wrong. Men were directly shot at, but the Germans bombed hospitals too, just to start with that tidbit, and that's not even getting into all the other women directly endangered by the war. They're soldiers too, even if they didn't get a gun and credit for it.

2) Given how the American Nazi Party was a thing, and the then-acceptable fascist elements of sci-fi were very present, I find this criticism provincial at best; that was the era people were fighting over the soul of science fiction, often with people who were openly Nazis or sympathetic to them. On a related note, nice concern troll; neo-Nazis generally deserve to be attacked, and more often than not run screaming in the opposite direction from someone they suddenly realize actually doesn't tolerate them and is willing to enforce it. They deserve to be punched, deserved to be punched, and will always deserve to be punched. The reason it will always be popular is because it will never be wrong.

3) Your nostalgia is showing - and many of the ideas those shows gestated from originated in what is known by actual publishing houses as the Golden Age of Science Fiction.
                1) I already said that American women were killed by enemy and yes the nurses and other enlisted women were soldiers, but civilians populations were also bombed by both sides, which was horrible, but still not the same as fighting and dying on the front lines by the thousands. Woman were not made to run into hails of bullets only to be cut down by thousands or even hundreds of thousands (depending on nation). Stop pretending it's the same thing, it's not.

It's about the dehumanization of men that occurred during the war. Men stripped of their humanity, made to kill their fellow man, given the choice between running into certain death or being executed by their own side and their rights and freedoms taken away. And this experience broke a lot of the survivors mentally and many were just discarded by society afterwards. Barnyard animals get treated better then these men and with more compassion

2) punching Neo Nazis is self indulgence, it has done absolutely nothing to reduce racism at all, Darrell Dexter has done more by himself to reduce racism then all of punch a nazi culture combined. I've seen videos of neonazis and antifa fighting, people on both sides get hurt, but antifa is more likely to get dead. Not wanting people to get when their are better ways is concern trolling, its just basic logic. I mean look at you writing about punching them,you can tell how much pleasure the idea gives you, pure self indulgence, don't pretend it helps anyone, it doesn't.

And I have been very vocal in my opposition to both Iraq wars, the war in Yugoslavia, war in Afghanistan, war Libya, war in Syria, and Trump's latest mess war in Iran which has already lead to the deaths of civilians, so no my opposition to using violence in conflict resolution were ever possible is not concern trolling, it's an expression of a life time held value that values all human beings, even the ones I don't like or even in extreme cases hate.

3) I'm not saying this era didn't have foundational value, like TNG, its a solid bronze, maybe silver, I just personally would not call it gold.
                Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-17-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                  Spoken like someone who has no clue what they are talking about.
                  Yes I only have a high school diploma which has been clear to me on these boards before by the college educated woke that it must mean I don't know anything and am just ignorant.

Comment

Anyways I'm more interest in the Seven Wonders chapter then I am debating the flaws in punch a nazi culture with folks who won't value my opinion anyways, so I'm moving on before a mod gets mad at me.

I love that something unique and interesting was done with each wonder and the cultures throughout the Hellenistic region. I love how the interplay between fae and prommy magic was explored, such as Goblin Pandorans which gives the hedge a new type of cool antoganist along side goblins, hedge ghosts, eidoleons, True Fae, and Huntsmen, ect...

I like how it dealt with how Changelings deal with religion of the time (basically the Gods are real, but True Fae are imposters, although Loyalists likely won't concider them imposters).

Cool Kiths, Tokens, and more.

I like the exploration of Promeathans in the hedge and Fetches on a pilgramage.

I think a Centimani wondering the hedge unleashing fire storms to build armies of Goblin Pandorans is a wicked cool antoganist for a changeling chronicle. Maybe he or she has allied with local bridge burners.

I also love the idea of plucking bits and peices from other eras to add to it, like mage & changeling interaction rules and kith from the Wild West, the Day and Night Court from the Camelot chapter, the Company of Codex from the pirates chapter (change to be a Democratic Greek naval Order of Mages), and Incubi/Succubi Vampires from the Golden Age of Islam and maybe some of the covenants.

I'm going to reread the chapter and book to see what other awesomeness I can find.

Comment

So I have a question about the new blood sorcery. I know its mostly for angels and demons but can I enter twilight and bite a ghost or spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
                        So I have a question about the new blood sorcery. I know its mostly for angels and demons but can I enter twilight and bite a ghost or spirit?
                        You get to decide which type of Grigor you can eat with each dot, so if you choose biblical-themed spirits as your chosen Grigor you can eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
                          You get to decide which type of Grigor you can eat with each dot, so if you choose biblical-themed spirits as your chosen Grigor you can eat them.
                          Does it have biblical themed? I am thinking anything a vampire could get there hands on would work right also long as it has essence?

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
                            Does it have biblical themed? I am thinking anything a vampire could get there hands on would work right also long as it has essence?
                            The Vampire has to believe it's some kind of Angel, so it probably depends on the beliefs of the Vampire in question.

Comment

Yes I only have a high school diploma which has been clear to me on these boards before by the college educated woke that it must mean I don't know anything and am just ignorant.
                              I mean?

Yes. I'm glad you understand.

EDIT: I mean, clarity, you don't need college to know stuff, but there are people it would definitely help and there are demonstrable cases of that.

*cough*
                              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-17-2020, 08:24 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

I'm fairly certain the actual Cult of the Phoenix hasn't emerged in Hunger in the Black Lands. Perhaps a progentior to them, but it's weird to read about the Ascending Ones prior to being the Ascending Ones.

Minor gripe, but it did trip me.
                                Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-18-2020, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X