Dark Eras 2 New Splats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Eras 2 New Splats

Sooo for those of us lucky enough to get backer copies i wanted to ask you peepz something....Which of the new splats do we like

My favorites are the Sobeki and the Court of the Leafless Tree <3

While I do enjoy them, I'm scratching my head as to how the Xibalbans got to Middle Kingdom Egypt from the Americas. Still nice though. Would not mind if they coexisted with the Galatids until the later came to the New World. That said, I know little about the native cultures of the area, so I'd need to read up on the references. The Sobeki join the Seers and the Pure in villain splats, because have you read what they must do? I'd argue that they are even further towards the unplayable villain spectrum than the others.

I love the new kiths in the Wonders chapter. It is good to see the Antiquarian and the Chimera return. The three Greek spirit kiths are nice and I think this is a comeback for the Muse too but I am less familiar with it. Fetches trying to become more 'real' is an awesome idea and I do like the minor twist on the template. The Dream Builders would be an interesting court to play out in the modern day; seeking out new Wonders to anchor their bargain...

Aegis Kai Doru as the order of the Black Knight is a surprise, but not entirely unwelcome. Not sure how the Greek relic hunters became druids though. The Legion of the Green feels like it replaces the recalled Legio Mortuum but it was not called out as such. On the other hand the Circle of Mor answers an issue I had with Weihan Cynn and the Circle of the Crone. It finally makes sense why it took so long to displace the Cynn. No one likes Strix worshippers. I do agree that Crochan is very out of place with 2es design, more so than the Cachexy rewrite in DEC IMHO.

The Golden Age of Islam covenants are there. Like alot of covenants in the Dark Eras line there isn't a lot room to give them enough attention, especially when they have pseudo equivalents in the corebook. The Dukhan were a surprise hit of a clan for me, though without help you are hitting your curse for a LONG time.

I won't comment on the Golden Library compact beyond I wish it got more than a sidebar but I understand why it did not. Pactkeepers and Embers were sneaky little Stigamtic mods that are lovely additions. The Followers of the Mansa are an interesting idea, a kind of pacifistic compact that uses tactics reminiscent of the Barret Comission.

Light of the Sun has a new Proxmi 'lineage' shows up, which really makes me wish I knew how Scrying would work without the Sympathetic Range attainment. Still, it is nice to see more Proxmi.

Last Imperials has 2 'protocompacts' (He family and the Vanguard) that should join together to become the People Under Heaven compact. This in edition to the much more detailed Soldiers of the Forbidden Sun, a paramilitary compact. Great Era, not focused on player options.

A few new merits in the Witch Trials chapter, but nothing really to write home about them. The sorcerous cult Disciples of Jannes and Jambres would make for an interesting addition to a Hunter game.

I'm going to take a break before continuing with the Company of the Codex.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I was about to make a post about the new splats before seeing this thread, so it is nice to see I wasn't the only one to be overwhelmed by the amount of new players options in the book!

Hunger in the Black Land
      First of all, Oracles are awesome- the thought of how Heroes were before their corruption always interested me, and I always like having diviners, seers and prophets as part of my games. The all level of weirdness in this Era competes with that of Sundered World, and it easily competes with After the Fall as my favorite Era.

Talking about weirdness- the last thing I would have expected is having a new mesoamerican Lineage in ancient Egypt. Seriously, the idea of a promethean crossing all the way from the Americas to Africa, as a genitor creates a new child to carry the torch, is overwhelming. Again, hard to imagine and weird, but if we were to accept it happened the implications of such journey are awesome. Beside, the concept of that lineage is amazing, so we let it slide.

The Sobeki are cool as a concept, but due to their need to devour people both in order to come into existence AND as a part of their day to day life, it is hard for me to see them as player options. Again, cool, but way too into the dark side as players IMO.

As for the organizations, the Assessors are amazing- especially if their connotations between Ammut and the Dark Mother are correct. The self hate of the Sages makes them into interesting antagonists or protagonists, while the Exalted of the Apex are terrifying. The House of Re are good for a semi antagonistic factions of alchemists, while I'm not sure if to tie the Maw of Unas to my own version of Sobek priests called the Maw of the River, or to the Followers of Shulpae (hey, they do eat monsters for divine power. That's what the Faithful do). The Flowing Water, as the priest of Ma'at, are also cool. The presentation of proto Iron Masters as the Watchers Beyond the Flame is a nice touch, to show how their tribe changed through time while staying true to their core identity.

The Seven Wonders
      The updates of the Antiquarians and Chimeras look nice and appropriate. I don't remember if there was a 1e version of the Dryad, but if there wasn't this is a good place to add it. Same for the Muse and Nymph. As I have never been too much into Changeling I don't have much to say about them, but having a number of Greek mythology focused kiths is indeed cool. It also brings forward the idea of playable Fetches who may search for their own New Dawn- which I really dig, as Fetches are among my favorite critters of the CofD. The Trader Goblins are great antagonists, as well as the Kratistoi. The Dream Builders are also really interesting- and I am left to wonder if just like how humanity always tries to fulfill the void left by the lost Seven Wonders with new ones, if that Court may be reestablished as the conditions which formed the original Wonders will come anew, and the Great Bargain with them.

Arthur's Britannia
      I must say that the idea of this Era is a bit unclear to me, as I thought that Camelot was removed from history by Merlin. Anyway, the Order of the Black Knight are cool, and the AKD do make sense as the keepers of Britain's old relics. I must say that the AKD in general get much presence through the whole book, which really makes me happy, especially as they apparently don't get a full writeup in 2e. The Hands of Tyr are nice, as they are based around norse concepts and such, and could be slowly developed into a compact (or may even be the remains of a conspiracy or something).

Sidenote- I must admit that I am disappointed from the lack of any new conspiracy, I guess that it si mostly because the new edition is coming, and converting a compact is easier than a conspiracy, but that didn't stop the Companion from giving us a new Threshold, so...

Returning to subject- the Legion of the Green are really cool as a presentation of a pagan Invictus like covenant, and lay the origin for the Blood Oaths- not to mention it does give some information about the fate of some of the Peregrine Collegia and the Augurs. Also, while the Weihan Cynn do not get a writeup, they do show up all across the chapter- and I would never say "no" for more Wood Witches material. The Circle of Mopr makes an excellent material for the origin of the Circle of the Crone, while maintaining different identity from the Weihan Cynn. The Bron's writeup is nice- but I was not expecting Crochan as a Discipline. I'm not sure how I feel about it, as that is a Discipline which could have definitely being broken into Devotions, and this is the second Bloodline to have a unique Discipline. I mean, if Crochan could be a Discipline, then why the hell Obtenebration is a collection of Devotion? Something in the design choices feels weird, IMO.

One Thousand and One Nightmares
      the Ahl al Mummit finally present a unified and clean vision of the islamic covenant which had so many incarnations through Requiem's history, and they also got an interesting touch as the hunters of wicked monsters, where the Lance focus on mortals. The Al Amin are also cool, anf the Fir'awn are a really awesome way to revise the Jinn from Ancient Mysteries. The Jaliniyya are outright amazing, as vitae alchemists are a really cool concept. As the future Ordo Dracul do have talents in Blood Alchemy, and they did had some Ottoman branches of similar minded Kindred joining the Order IIRC, I do wonder if they still exist as a faction of the Order, especially in the Middle East. I must admit that my only disappointment is that those covenants didn't got more wordcount.

I'm kind of ambivalent toward the Dukhan. While I do like the idea of dream walking vampires, their origin story feels too defined and similar to a Bloodline instead of a Clan, IMO. I do like their Clan Bane, but the fact they have both Auspex and Protean as favored Discipline makes me feel weird, as I thought that Requiem's goal was having only one unique Discipline per Clan, with the only exception being the Wicked Dead- and they are weird enough to justify that. Add that with their relatively small amount of wordcount, and I just feel unsatisfied what we have on them. I must say I really do dig the whole strix paranoia which erupts in this Era, as well as their presence in the previous chapter.

Empire of Gold and Dust
      The Golden Library are awesome, and I am quite sad they lack a full writeup. Some sort of proto Loyalist, just without the guilt. While the Followers of Mansa have a lot of cool things about them, the idea of a compact being so localized in both time and space makes me a bit disappointed, as it is hard to use them outside of that time frame even more than the usual historic group. The Soldiers of Jibreel sounds amazing, but the fact we only get a paragraph on that conspiracy annoys me- I think they could easily be treated as an historic incarnation of the Knights of Saint Adrian, as they indeed sound similar in concept, but still, just saying "you could use the KoSA's Endowments for them" could have been amazing IMO, instead of leaving us with just that sidebar. Oh well- may they have plans for those hunters for 2e, and we'll see them more fully in the coming book.

Unrelated- but seriously? An angel called Zain? Come on!

Light of the Sun
      the White Lily sound like a cool conspiracy and I like the catholic terms for Deviants. The Benedetto are amazing as a Proximi Dynasty.

Rise of the Last Imperials
      The He Family are really awesome, IMO, while the Vanguard are kinda the standard "fight a greater evil" kind of group. Having the opportunity to take part in shaping those two groups into a true compact sounds like a great story hook. The Soldiers of the Forbidden Sun are cool, even if a bit too single minded, and I would have liked their writeup to feel more "timeless".

Undead Among the Living
      Wait- the Tauran are still around?! Osirisdamnit, that's, like, awesome! I mean, going all the way from Cleopatra's Egypt to Scandinavia under the Witch Trails is not something which should be taken lightly. I think that the Crimson Priesthood is another incarnation of the blood assassins from the same Dark Era, but I need to review their history and such. The Sisters of Eternity sound creepy as hell. The Disciplines of Jannes and Jambers sound really cool, IMO.

The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
      The Keepers of the Covenant are nice, the Ministry of Geryon are cool, the Company of the Codex are freaking amazing!

The Reign of Terror (when you can't make a more terrifying name than history has already made)
      The Augustinians are so good that I just feel "how they weren't here from the start?!". The Feullists make very good material for antagonistic Unchained who actually have solid reasons for their chaos. The Mouths of Iron are too dangerous to live. The Tenth Choir are everything I haven't expected them to be, but they are simply pure awesomeness. I have definitely haven't considered Therion to be updated for them- if anything, I thought it would only show up in Spilled Blood. Now I must wonder if the Tenth Choir will take over the more infernalist and satanist concepts of the Brood as its update would focus on different path for them, or if they eventually became one with the Brood, providing those concepts and blood magic to the Claimed?

Mysterious Frontiers
      Again, Kiths don't reallt draw my interest much, so the Cleverquick are ok. The Kitchen Alchemists are not really that interesting to me, saying the truth. I assume that the Bad City Marshals are ok? I'm not big into Westerns and such.

The Great War
      And we have finally got the Faceless, the carriers of dreadful chemical weaponry of humanity! All that's left is the biological Lineage and the set is complete :P

Fear and the Golden Promise of Tomorrow
      While the Chapter in general is underwhelming IMO, at least we got a Supersoldier Form, so we can play Captain America, the CofD version :P Psychic Indoctrination and Project Gladiator are also nice materials for a Deviant character.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        Mysterious Frontiers
        Again, Kiths don't reallt draw my interest much, so the Cleverquick are ok. The Kitchen Alchemists are not really that interesting to me, saying the truth. I assume that the Bad City Marshals are ok? I'm not big into Westerns and such.

Like i get the dislike/not intoness of westerns, but come on this is the first TRUE Hybrid splat in Cod. It is equal court and order and i applaud opening this door. This opens the way for so many future options: covenants/lodge or convenat/court and so on

Comment

Empire of Gold and Dust
          The Golden Library are awesome, and I am quite sad they lack a full writeup. Some sort of proto Loyalist, just without the guilt. While the Followers of Mansa have a lot of cool things about them, the idea of a compact being so localized in both time and space makes me a bit disappointed, as it is hard to use them outside of that time frame even more than the usual historic group. The Soldiers of Jibreel sounds amazing, but the fact we only get a paragraph on that conspiracy annoys me- I think they could easily be treated as an historic incarnation of the Knights of Saint Adrian, as they indeed sound similar in concept, but still, just saying &quot;you could use the KoSA's Endowments for them&quot; could have been amazing IMO, instead of leaving us with just that sidebar. Oh well- may they have plans for those hunters for 2e, and we'll see them more fully in the coming book.
          The Soldiers were intended as a historic incarnation of the Knights, adjusted for the culture. They were a later addition in the writing process, so unfortunately we didn’t have the words to give them the full treatment.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
          Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
          Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

The Seven Wonders
            The updates of the Antiquarians and Chimeras look nice and appropriate. I don't remember if there was a 1e version of the Dryad, but if there wasn't this is a good place to add it. Same for the Muse and Nymph. As I have never been too much into Changeling I don't have much to say about them, but having a number of Greek mythology focused kiths is indeed cool. It also brings forward the idea of playable Fetches who may search for their own New Dawn- which I really dig, as Fetches are among my favorite critters of the CofD. The Trader Goblins are great antagonists, as well as the Kratistoi. The Dream Builders are also really interesting- and I am left to wonder if just like how humanity always tries to fulfill the void left by the lost Seven Wonders with new ones, if that Court may be reestablished as the conditions which formed the original Wonders will come anew, and the Great Bargain with them.
            There were no 1st Edition Kiths called "Dryad" or "Nymph," but the blessings of these versions are essentially conversions of the Woodblood and Swimmerskin, respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post

There were no 1st Edition Kiths called &quot;Dryad&quot; or &quot;Nymph,&quot; but the blessings of these versions are essentially conversions of the Woodblood and Swimmerskin, respectively.

A little more powerful then the original kith blessings as is normal for 2e CtL.

Like the Nymph doesn't just breath water, He/she gets a expectional success with 3 successes on atheletic swim checks, has double the swim speed (which with the brownie merit can be crazy fast), some shape shifting (legs to tale and back again at will), breaths air and water and takes no penalties for doing things in water (flooded basically causes you no problems, nor does fighting underwater, ect...).

I have a character in my head who is like a Dark Triton, Darkling Nymph who changes his lower body between scaly legs and the tail of an electric eel, with a beard that looks stained with black ink and white eyes like a fish that has never seen light. His legs and tail are covered in faintly glowing runes that symbolize each of the Olympians as his Autumn mantle.

His Hollow is called the Aquarium of Atlantis and is an aquarium the size of a town, filled with a sunken city and sunken ships. It has temples to the many Gods of the Hellenistic Era, replicas of the 7 wonders, and a Coral Palace in the centre which is his home. It's filled with water, except for the lid which has a meter of air space between it and the water and the door is located on the lid.

He has 5 dots in Autumn Mantle and 5 dots on Hollow and 1 dot Token a Trident made from blood metal.

Comment

Working...
              X