Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras 2] Hunger in the Black Land - Middle Kingdom Egypt

Did not see the topic for this era - so starting now. 😎

I very like that this era can work also as introduction to 2E Mummy: the Curse, when someone is intimidated by the style of original corebook. Also, interesting is focus on beasts, werewolves and Prometheans in those times.

Good read! More interesting thoughts I will write later. 😉

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I wonder why in A'stru and Duat frame are only Assessors - but not Judges of Duat? They are both the same beings, only different names, in the end.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Wyrd, have you read Sothis Ascends? There's a couple of shout-outs to it in this chapter and if you want to run a Mummy game here, it might be useful.

(And also for the record, I didn't write this era so I can't answer questions about it. Just giving some words to the wise)

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Reading more Beast side of era - We see here that future Heroes - now Oracles - are not yet locked in the narrations of Primordial Dream, being more diviners than direct warriors. I wonder WHEN, exactly, this change comes. At time of Egypt's New Kingdom? At the start of Greeks mythos of heroes slaining monsters? What do you think?
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-01-2020, 04:30 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Beast part - Oracles ( then era Heroes ) are mechanically using Presence + Expression to show mortals weakness of the Beast, putting Anathema on Begotten by talking about it to other humans. Should not this be Persuassion roll instead? It's more convincing that 'dance, singing and crafts' roll...

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            I wonder why in A'stru and Duat frame are only Assessors - but not Judges of Duat? They are both the same beings, only different names, in the end.
            I'm not quite able to parse what you're asking here?

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

There is sidebar on the page 23 of Dark Eras 2 -

A’aru, Ma’at, and the Duat
              The people of Kemet believe that, after death, parts of the soul travel west to the Duat, an underworld region where everyone must submit to the verdict of 42 Assessors and Anpu’s test of ma’at. The worthy pass before Wesir, reborn for eternity into the fertile, starry paradise of A’aru where they farm and live in divine prosperity. Wesir throws the unworthy to the jaws of Ammut the devourer, who utterly destroys them.

Should not this mentions that Assessors are called Judges of Duat by the mummies of Mummy: The Curse? As this is crossover era, by being that of Beast: the Primordial one?
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-01-2020, 04:30 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

There is sidebar on the page 23 of Dark Eras 2 -

A’aru, Ma’at, and the Duat
                The people of Kemet believe that, after death, parts of the soul travel west to the Duat, an underworld
                region where everyone must submit to the verdict of 42 Assessors and Anpu’s test of ma’at. The worthy pass
                before Wesir, reborn for eternity into the fertile, starry paradise of A’aru where they farm and live in divine
                prosperity. Wesir throws the unworthy to the jaws of Ammut the devourer, who utterly destroys them.

Should not this mentions that Assessors are called Judges of Duat by the mummies of Mummy: The Curse? As this is crossover era, by being that of Beast: the Primordial one?
                While Beast encourages Crossover, it is still its own gamelines- and the Judges are so BIG in Mummy that outright using their name would shift the focus towards that gameline on the expanse of the core gamelines. Besides, it helps to create the distance between the Judges of Duat and the way the Judges are seen in the eyes of local mythology and religion. Anyone who is familiar with Mummy could easily connect the Assessors to the Judges, and those who are not (or prefer not to) could invent their own way to view them, from the flawed version of the Judges through mortal eyes to some astral, dead or spiritual reflection of those gods. It helps to reinforce a mythic feeling of that Era, IMO, and stops Mummy from overtaking a setting which is not a Mummy setting.

In short, you have nothing to lose from using different terminology, and everything to gain. Those who know Mummy can connect the dots by themselves, and not everything need to be spelled out- especially in the CofD, where it is not impossible that while the Judges exist, there are other incarnations of them and Duat, created by what people believe the Judges were, or from those beings who tried to style themselves as the Judges for their own reasons.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I read all era up to end of Beasts part - and I see there is a lot of term isfet, written in lower letters - which I still do not know the meaning off. I know that Ma'at is both goddess and personification of ( Supernatural ) Justice - than written lower case as ma'at means general principles of those in monsters society. Isfet, written in upper case, is also goddess, contrary to Ma'at in her dominion - i.e. Injustice - but I do not understand what means, directly in play, isfet written as such.

Also, I could not find on modern maps location of Atef-Pehu, but Assasin's Creed wiki helped, somehow, with it.
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-01-2020, 09:16 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Isfet is chaos or disorder.

You wont find Atef-Pehu on modern maps because its the ancient Egyptian name for the place, and modern names are likely to be in Arabic instead. The Arabic name for the area is Faiyum.

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Promethean part reading time - Xibalbans Lineage from Meso-America idea sounds interesting, especially as Galateids predecessor. Somehow a bit weird, as Galateids are about love and Xibalbans are about dying, both on Sanguine Humor.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-01-2020, 04:31 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The Xibalbans are not about dying as much as they are about sacrifice- and it is not the first time that we see such a difference. The Amirani and the Frankensteins share an humor, but the first is about faith and zeal and the second about fury and pain.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Werewolf part of the era - What is saharusum? From contexts I assume it's Packs, but I'm not sure I get it right...

LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Werewolf part of the era - What is saharusum? From contexts I assume it's Packs, but I'm not sure I get it right...
                            'the saharusum, the children of Crocodile.' 'The saharusum are shapeshifters, also known as the Sobeki.'

Comment

Thanks. nofather, missed this.

Divide over Forsaken and Pure Tribes imply that Oaths of the Moon are already set in this era. ( That is circa 1800 BCE. ) This means that in Dogs of Sumer times Tribes were already a thing - not a Sects of Sundered World. ( Sumerian civilization is dated 4500 BCE till 1900 BCE, more or less. ) Sad news for your project, glamourweaver?

I wonder then WHEN Tribes came to being - with Ur-Farah death circa 5000 BCE, they were created and joined in coming 500 years, something like 4500 BCE? Maybe Tribes really did start to crystallize in the start of the Sumer and develop with it?
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-02-2020, 02:09 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X