Which Attribute do you use for writing fiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Attribute do you use for writing fiction

Which Attribute would you use if you're writing a work of fiction? I know the ability would be Expression, but I can't think of which Attribute would be appropriate.

Thanks.

I would go with Manipulation, you are trying to draw the reader in and influence their response to what you write without being present, so no on Presence.
    Intelligence would produce writing that is 'dry', like documentation or an instruction manual.
    Wits might apply if you are targeting a specific target demographic, representing the ability to recognize what they want in their fiction.

Comment

Intelligence. It's a very deliberate (Power Attribute) and cerebral (Mental Attribute) process.

What kind of text you're writing can change the Skill. Instruction manuals would be the Skill that most relates to the subject of the manual. Fiction and works that are supposed to engage the reader is Expression. Writing academical papers and reports is Academics.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Depends on what you're writing. I agree that (generally) Intelligence is the default, but if you're writing a comedic novel, I'd allow Wits. If you're writing a tearjerker, Manipulation might also be useful. Hell, if you're writing NaNoWriMo, then Resolve's probably the one to go with.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Context also matters a lot, because writing fiction in and of itself isn't something I would call a dice roll for in the first place. What is the player character seeking to do that makes a chance of failure interesting? Sway others? Inspire them? Plant messages? That should help inform the choice of Attribute.

Comment

Stamina. Definitely Stamina. If you can’t keep your butt in the seat, you can’t write. =p

Comment

Fiction is creative work, therefore I would use Wits.

Waiting for new Chronicles of Darkness Dice! 🤗 🎲

Comment

Originally posted by Elythia View Post
                Fiction is creative work, therefore I would use Wits.
                I don't see the connection?

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  I don't see the connection?
                  Do you mean between fiction and creativity, or between creativity and Wits? 🧐

I guess you mean, why I would use Wits over Intelligence for a creative task?!
                  You can not force your brain to come up with ideas when you need them. As a creative person, you have to make "creative" connections between things, where other people don't, to create new ideas. You can look at inspirational materials, think about things that happened the other day, and maybe you can come up with something. It's brain gymnastic (finesse), and therefore I would use Wits. 🤔

In my opinion, Intelligence is more like your IQ (power). At least that's how we play it. 🤗

Comment

Now I get what you mean regarding Wits and creativity, but I don't agree completely. Wits is definitely about finding connections since it's the perceptive stat, which is part of writing fiction, but unless you're talking about poems or short stories I think you very much underestimate the amount of planning and research and deliberation and raw work that goes into writing anything, all of which falls much more under Intelligence.
                    Wits is for the aha-moments, when you suddenly realise what's missing (for the most part; solving a difficult problem or a riddle is listed as Intelligence) and would work for coming up with an interesting pitch or premise. Intelligence is for developing a story around that pitch or premise and putting it down into writing. Intelligence is what you use when you actually sit down to write, in most cases.

Btw, IQ tests consists of multiple parts that are all either based on knowledge (Intelligence) or pattern recognition (Wits). High IQ can be represented by either high Intelligence or high Wits (or both).

Comment

In game I would make writing fiction a build equipment or extended action using Intelligence + Expression, because it is a primarily cerebral (intelligence) and creative (expression) exercise.

Obviously, actually writing fiction requires Resolve, Wits, Academics, and a host of other skills, but there's no real reason to bother with it.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
                        Obviously, actually writing fiction requires Resolve, Wits, Academics, and a host of other skills, but there's no real reason to bother with it.
                        Some other games (such as the fourth edition of Eon) have stuff like extended actions require multiple different rolls instead of the same roll over and over again. If one were to modify extended actions from the current (and honestly monotonous) repeated rolls, I would definitely expect rolls to be Intelligence+Academics, Intelligence+Investigation (if research is required), Wits+Expression and Resolve+some stat.

Comment

Wits for the First Draft, Intelligence for the Second Draft, Manipulation for the Final Draft. Resolve for the extended rolls concerning long periods of time, Stamina for the daily writing grind extended roll. Composure and Presence for the PR.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                          Female pronouns, please.

Comment

Well, I personally find the creative part more important, because without an idea you don’t go anywhere. You are stuck. And that can happen at any time during the process.
                            And the planning of a timeline etc. is not a very complicated task. By the way there are programs that help you with that, like „Scrivener“ and „Papyrus Autor”. Research time is “usually” kept to an absolute minimum.

But there is also a second kind of author, the “discovery writer”! They don’t plan at all. They sit down and write what comes to their mind. Like Stephen King.

Furthermore I recently followed a discussion on „How do I know that I am writing a good book“. And as expected, there is no recipe or formula you can just follow.

And you don’t have to worry about a professional editor, a book cover or marketing etc. unless you are a self publisher.
                            But even good books can get rejected by publishing houses over and over again.

———

Anyway, I think it’s up to the Storyteller and the group to decide what aspects they find more important, but I would not change the dice rolls during an extended action.

———
                            Edit:

Be careful with the “necessary” layers of details. First decide how important that book is for your story:
                            - If it just fluff for a character, or something a character does and is usually good at, you might not want to roll at all. Simply preparing a description of “how is next book is received by the critics” etc. would be more satisfying for the player.
                            - If on the other hand it has a strong(!) impact on the story, or it is a story about writing a book, the more details you might want to add.

Edit 2:
                            In my opinion intelligent people and creative people are usually not the same group of people. Intelligence is more about logic. Finding logical solutions. Creativity is about making unusual connections in your mind to come up with something new or innovative. Therefore I would still prefer Wits over Intelligence.
                            You can learn to write and “express” yourself in a certain way, but that’s a skill and does not include the “creative ideas”. It basically “how” you write. Choice of words etc. The ideas are “what” you write about.
                            It can also be the other way around. You can have a lot of good ideas, but you lack the necessary skill to “express” them.
                            Last edited by Elythia; 02-07-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X