The life of Jesus in Chronicles of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The life of Jesus in Chronicles of Darkness

This one is a lot shorter than the King Arthur one I did. It’s mostly CoD, but I borrowed some elements from WoD too. The part about Sutekh being a girl comes from Analects of the Third Garden.

4 BCE A seventeen year-old Jewish virgin named Mary is seduced by a handsome Daeva, gets pregnant and has a dhampir baby boy named Jacob. After Mary gives the baby up so her parents won’t find out, Jacob is taken in and raised by an Akhud elder named Ezekiel, who grooms him to be a weapon against the other Kindred of Jerusalem. Ashamed, Mary prays to El (God) to restore her virginity. The Archangel Gabriel, a Supernal entity from the Aether, grants her prayer.

0 Mary, now twenty-one and still a virgin despite being engaged to an older carpenter named Joseph, is impregnated by the Archangel Gabriel. Nine months later, she gives birth to a son named Jesus.

CE 12 At age twelve, Jesus converts his first disciples, a rabbi and his wife who talk with him about the nature of El and the Jewish faith.

CE 30 Jesus travels to the Sinai desert, where for three nights he is tempted by the goddess Sutekh, a Mekhet elder who founded the Khaibit bloodline. Jesus resists the temptation, and on the third night he journeys to the Watchtower of the Golden Key and Awakens as an Obrimos.

Mary’s brother Joseph of Arimathea, a wealthy spice merchant, is Embraced by a Nosferatu and becomes one of Jesus’s disciples. Other early disciples include Simon Peter, another Obrimos who later joins the Seers of the Throne and founds the Paternoster Ministry, Jesus’s dhampir half-brother Jacob and Judas, a Sicariot (an elite assassin) for the Zealots (anti-Roman Jewish radicals). Judas is secretly crushing on Jesus.

CE 31 Jesus falls in love with Mary Magdalen, a Thyrsus mage who belongs to the Cult of Isis, and she falls for him too. They get married in a huge wedding at Cana and go off to the valley of Gethsemane in the mountains near Mount Ararat for their honeymoon. The goddess Sutekh uses Auspex to whisper in Judas’s mind and he succumbs to the true sin of jealousy, his crush turning into bitter venom.

CE 32 Nine months after their honeymoon, Jesus and Mary Magdalen have a beautiful baby girl named Sarah. Jesus raises Mary Magdalen’s brother Lazarus from the dead. A Roman merchant names Delius who Awakens after meeting Jesus later founds an Obrimos Legacy called the Messianic Voices. Acting on Ezekiel’s orders, Jacob begins stalking and killing the Kindred of Jerusalem.

CE 33 Jesus and twelve of his most favored disciples gather for a Passover feast in Jerusalem and drink from the Holy Grail, a Supernal artifact from the Aether. After the Last Supper, Jesus uses Space magic to create a portal to the garden of Gethsemane. There, he uses water from the Grail to grow a fig tree in the spot where he and Mary Magdalen had their honeymoon. Then Judas betrays him to the Romans, who follow him through the portal and bring him back to Jerusalem to be crucified.

The next day, Jesus is crucified along with two other convicted criminals, his brother Jacob (Pontius Pilate is a Julii ghoul) and a Zealot leader named Barabbas. That night, a Roman centurion named Longinus who stabbed Jesus in the side with his spear is Embraced by an unknown Kindred and becomes a revenant. Longinus later repents after talking with an angel of the God-Machine named Vahishtael and founds the Lancea et Sanctum. That same night, Judas is Embraced by Sutekh and Lazarus by the Lady of Death, another Mekhet elder who always wondered what would happen if you Embraced someone who had been raised from the dead. Sutekh then falls into Torpor when Jesus returns on Easter morning. After his resurrection, Jesus gives one last sermon, then he becomes an Archmage and ascends to the Aether.

CE 71 After Jerusalem is destroyed by the Roman emperor Vespasian and his son Titus, the Nosferatu Joseph of Arimathea (now known as Kli Kodesh) escapes to Britain with the Holy Grail and the Spear of Longinus.

Comment

See, in my personal opinion, including Jesus Christ in ChroD is a risky proposition at best. He is not meant to be just another prophet, he is the Son Of God and the Universal Redeemer. That runs into the issue of including Abrahamic theology in fictional settings as a whole: it tends to overshadow every other part of the cosmology. And making Jesus Christ into a mere Mage completely misses the point.

If you really wanna do it, I suggest just making him into an Archmage-tier Mystery. As a nitpick, Christ's symbolism is actually closer to the Moros. Death and rebirth, transformation and purification, and so on. Not to mention those apocryphal stories where he does things like creating a bird out of clay and giving it life, which resembles the Golem spell.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Sutekh tempts Jesus three times. On the first night she offers him wealth and power, on the second night she offers him amazing sex, on the third night she offers him immortality through the Embrace. He resists all three times.

Comment

GibberingEloquence why does it miss the point?

Comment

Ohhhhhh

I just read your sig. You’re Christian. I’m not. I’m Wiccan. To me he is just another prophet.

But you’re right. One of my friends is Catholic and he might get pissed if I tried to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
              He is not meant to be just another prophet, he is the Son Of God and the Universal Redeemer.
              If you're Christian. I mean, he appears to have been a real historical figure, and even other religions such as Islam claim him as a prophet not God.

Comment

Penelope I am not actually a Christian, just giving Christianity a fair shake. I'm also not ordering you to do anything, just to be clear. And in your defense, this thread does have some interesting interpretations.

Michael Well, you know what they say. "Mythology is what we call other people's theology".

Let Him Speak.

Comment

@gibbering eloquence, Michael thank you 😊

Comment

GibberingEloquence

Comment

Returning to the piece, it's a little incoherent. Lots of stuff happens and it's all a bit disconnected. Maybe I don't quite get what you're going for.

Like, Gabriel is part of the story but then doesn't have anything else to do. Is the implication that Jesus is supposed to be a Proximi?

Also, to go back to what GibbeeringEloquence said, being a mage seems to have nothing really to do with being the founding figure of a religion.

Comment

Yeah, exactly. In the Bible the Archangel Gabriel got Mary pregnant and then didn’t really do anything else.

Comment

Jesus is a mage in my version. His descendants are the Merovingian Proximi from the Silver Ladder book. I chose Obrimos cause it’s the Path associated with holy light. And his death and resurrection are how he Ascends from mage to Archmage.

Comment

I know. Life is random and chaotic sometimes. Kind of like Game of Thrones.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                              I know. Life is random and chaotic sometimes. Kind of like Game of Thrones.
                              Yeah, but it feels more coincidence than randomness. Like, he's both a Proximi created by the intersession of a Supernal Being, an archmaster AND the founder of a world religion, and the three don't seem terribly related. Also a bunch of vampires are interested in him for some reason.

Yeah, exactly. In the Bible the Archangel Gabriel got Mary pregnant and then didn’t really do anything else
                              Sure, but in the Bible, he's just God's messenger. There's nothing else for him to do in the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X