Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good Supernatural Merits for antagonists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good Supernatural Merits for antagonists?

I'm working on some Stigmatic NPCs for a Demon the Descent game and one key feature Stigmatics have is 3 dots to spend on Supernatural Merits. But the base Supernatural Merits don't really jump out to me. I keep coming back to two or three Supernatural Merits that I can think of to be useful to these NPC investigators.

For instance I'm working on some Men in Black type government officials who have Supernatural Merits. In order to make them more dangerous in combat I'm giving them Biokinesis.

They already get Unseen Sense (God Machine) and Omen Sensitivity for free.

What Supernatural Merits do you find useful for NPCs?

If you have access to hurt locker i would find useful:
    Animal possession
    Psychic Concealment
    Tactical Telepathy
    Technopathy

Comment

If it's for an NPC you could just come up with whatever minor supernatural power you think is interesting and work out a dice pool and some limitations for it.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Electrokinesis is a valid Psychokinetic form and could be used as an excuse to model being hard to photograph or record. Alternately, you could drop the level of the merit and simply make them hard to record.

Not sure which books you have, but others could provide some inspiration.

Mage: The Awakening 2e has some merits you could file the serial numbers off.
        • Occultation would work without any changes other than the behind-the-scenes explanation.
        • Masque might be valid.
        Other options could be to take a mundane merit and enhance it beyond normal limits or adjust an existing supernatural merit until it seems more in line with your preferences.

For example,

Living Cipher could require Anonymity and upgrade Alternate Identity to create an identity that is traceable only when actively used and impenetrable. Any attempts to locate that identity could only succeed as far as to lead to wherever the identity was swapped in or out and then break, showing no evidence from there. (The merit meaning that the character never slips up. That's the upgrade that makes it supernatural. Otherwise, this is just spyworks.)

Anonymity could get an upgrade Information Shield which makes it impossible to distinguish the character's trail from any other in their agency. That could be a mundane merit, too.

Omen Sensitivity could be adjusted to receiving "instructions" rather than omens, and so be clues to the mission. Mechanics wouldn't even need to change.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by thenate View Post
          Electrokinesis is a valid Psychokinetic form and could be used as an excuse to model being hard to photograph or record. Alternately, you could drop the level of the merit and simply make them hard to record.

Not sure which books you have, but others could provide some inspiration.

Mage: The Awakening 2e has some merits you could file the serial numbers off.
          • Occultation would work without any changes other than the behind-the-scenes explanation.
          • Masque might be valid.
          Also look over Secrets of the Covenants if you have it. It's got tons (and I mean TONS) of great merits that can be reworked into psychic traits (or just great merits for cults - a lot of the social merits under the Invictus section could easily turn into Mystery Cult benefits representing the Cult's influence).

Alternatively, consider giving them a low level mage rote with a set level of power, or something akin to Mage Sight or Mage Armor - one of the weaker but still useful benefits. In 1e, several splats (like the thaumaturges and the Proximi) and optional rules in books like Mirrors (such as suggested rules for Dark Fantastic and Dark Hero magic systems) had you use a rote as a merit one dot higher than the spell's level to represent static magic (so Body Control, Life 2, would be a three dot merit using a die pool of, say, Stamina+Medicine, since you lack Gnosis). You may need to jigger with the pools and fix the benefits, as I said, but you could use such spells as inspiration. Find one that you like and see how it fits in.

Comment

Working...
          X