Buying a Scar Free Magnitude * Variation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Scar Free Magnitude * Variation

If I were to include a 4 or 5 xps repeatably purchasable scar free variation would that break the game?

In most cases I think it would be applied to the worst of high mag scars like a Mag 4 Perilous scar bought down to just doing Lethal but still entangled as though it were a level 4 scar.

Hell vagaries of the game could even force you to entangle that scar at that level again. For instance I get a major instability in one of my last 5 boxes and retake the Perilous Magnitude 4 entanglement that causes aggravated instead of lethal when using my power.

Can anyone see a problem witih this? I really think the idea that my players characters might be able to overcome their scars would appeal to them.

This is what Deviations are for, frankly, especially if what you're after is not "a Scar-free Magnitude 1 variation" but "a reduction of Scar Magnitude by 1."

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

What Im after is indeed just that! A purchasable scar free Magnitude * Variation. What Im hoping is that other more "prescient" individuals can warn me of any pitfalls they see in including the option... or if they see none that they let me know that!

Comment

Is it your intention that this be a means of showing character progression? In essence, as a Deviant gains a greater control over her Divergence's effects (increases Acclimation), she is able to reduce the effective Magnitude of her Scars (without a commensurate decrease in the Magnitude of the entangled Variations)?

If so, my main concerns are thematic, not mechanical. Remade are defined in no small part by their Scars. If you take away those Scars, what remains is essentially just a superhero. If you're looking at maybe a Merit with an Acclimation prerequisite that reduces one Scar's Magnitude (but never eliminates it), I can see something like that being less theme-breaking. Variations already aren't cheap, so spending more XP to take the edge of their Scars is unlikely to break the game (although, I haven't exactly run the numbers Variation-by-Variation to check, so I could be wrong).

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
          Is it your intention that this be a means of showing character progression? In essence, as a Deviant gains a greater control over her Divergence's effects (increases Acclimation), she is able to reduce the effective Magnitude of her Scars (without a commensurate decrease in the Magnitude of the entangled Variations)?

If so, my main concerns are thematic, not mechanical. Remade are defined in no small part by their Scars. If you take away those Scars, what remains is essentially just a superhero. If you're looking at maybe a Merit with an Acclimation prerequisite that reduces one Scar's Magnitude (but never eliminates it), I can see something like that being less theme-breaking. Variations already aren't cheap, so spending more XP to take the edge of their Scars is unlikely to break the game (although, I haven't exactly run the numbers Variation-by-Variation to check, so I could be wrong).
          Actually I wouldn't mind a taste of the superhero. I wouldn't mind a possible golconda like state Or The equivalent to the ability become human like in Promethean. I realize it's not the game as you intended But I'm hoping The game can stand up to that kind of theme change, without breaking. I still think There are elements of horror, especially if you're fighting a losing battle With your scars. My idea doesn't preclude you getting new scars... Or the worsening of old ones.

I mean no offense With this attempted change. Rather I just hope to make the game more to my tables liking. I played the game once already the way it Was intended And thoroughly enjoyed it .I was just hoping to try something with a bit of a twist. Either way we will be playing your game this summer and I'm sure we'll enjoy it. Given this was just me trying for a sounding board on something I was unsure of.... I will probably stick to the game as is.

I would be interested in seeing that merit you suggested though... If you ever had the urge to flesh it out.
          Last edited by yrtalien; 06-05-2020, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yrtalien View Post

Actually I wouldn't mind a taste of the superhero. I wouldn't mind a possible golconda like state Or The equivalent to the ability become human like in Promethean. I realize it's not the game as you intended But I'm hoping The game can stand up to that kind of theme change, without breaking. I still think There are elements of horror, especially if you're fighting a losing battle With your scars. My idea doesn't preclude you getting new scars... Or the worsening of old ones.

I mean no offense With this attempted change. Rather I just hope to make the game more to my tables liking. I played the game once already the way it Was intended And thoroughly enjoyed it .I was just hoping to try something with a bit of a twist. Either way we will be playing your game this summer and I'm sure we'll enjoy it. Given this was just me trying for a sounding board on something I was unsure of.... I will probably stick to the game as is.

I would be interested in seeing that merit you suggested though... If you ever had the urge to flesh it out.
            In my opinion, RPGs exist to be customized. I've almost never run a game straight, so far be it for me to tell people how to play the games I write for and develop!

Perhaps something like:

Eased Scar (•• or ••••)
            Prerequisite: Acclimation ••+
            As the Deviant further adapts to his Divergence, one of his Scars lessens in severity without reducing the potency of an entangled Scar.

Effect: Choose a Scar with a Magnitude no greater than your Acclimation when you purchase this Merit. Permanently reduce that Scar’s Magnitude by one – either the base effect or its Deviations – to a minimum of Magnitude 1. You gain a Scar-free Magnitude to one Variation entangled with this Scar.

At four dots, instead reduce the Scar’s Magnitude by two and gain two Scar-free Magnitude to an entangled Variation.

This Merit can be purchased any number of times, but each time it must apply to a different Scar.

The name is terrible, so I'm sorry for that. As it currently stands, it's a later-in-the-chronicle Merit, but if you want to go full-on superhero (without switching to Aberrant) or make it available at character creation, you can remove the Acclimation prerequisite. If you want a "become human" option, you could remove the "to a minimum Magnitude of 1" stipulation and/or add a 6-, 8, and 10-dot tier that reduces Magnitude by 3, 4, or 5. As I said, that's going to blunt one of the intended themes of the game, but it's your table, and I've been in an Ascension game with the premise "you all work at a shopping mall" and several D&D games that ended up going to our own world, so I'm not going to judge.

Comment

So if you'd apply this Merit to a Scar entangled with multiple Variations, you'd lose Magnitude dots for all except one of the entangled Variations? In my experience (which, admittedly, is quite limited and probably heavily influenced by only playing a single high Variation Magnitude game) Scars entangled with a single Variation are extremely rare. Perhaps it can be reworked to have an increased cost per Variation entangled to the Scar?

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                So if you'd apply this Merit to a Scar entangled with multiple Variations, you'd lose Magnitude dots for all except one of the entangled Variations? In my experience (which, admittedly, is quite limited and probably heavily influenced by only playing a single high Variation Magnitude game) Scars entangled with a single Variation are extremely rare. Perhaps it can be reworked to have an increased cost per Variation entangled to the Scar?
                As-written, yes. A Scar entangled with only one Variation isn't hugely rare, in my experience. Coactives and Cephalists obviously get a greater benefit from low-Magnitude Variations, since they can boost them with Adaptations, so I find those Clades encourage multiple Variations per Scar. I suppose you could include an optional +1 dot effect that allows you to affect all the entangled Variations, instead, or just have it work that way by default (though that could get pretty potent unless the Adaptation prerequisite remains in place).

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post

In my opinion, RPGs exist to be customized. I've almost never run a game straight, so far be it for me to tell people how to play the games I write for and develop!

Perhaps something like:

Eased Scar (•• or ••••)
                  Prerequisite: Acclimation ••+
                  As the Deviant further adapts to his Divergence, one of his Scars lessens in severity without reducing the potency of an entangled Scar.

Effect: Choose a Scar with a Magnitude no greater than your Acclimation when you purchase this Merit. Permanently reduce that Scar’s Magnitude by one – either the base effect or its Deviations – to a minimum of Magnitude 1. You gain a Scar-free Magnitude to one Variation entangled with this Scar.

At four dots, instead reduce the Scar’s Magnitude by two and gain two Scar-free Magnitude to an entangled Variation.

This Merit can be purchased any number of times, but each time it must apply to a different Scar.

The name is terrible, so I'm sorry for that. As it currently stands, it's a later-in-the-chronicle Merit, but if you want to go full-on superhero (without switching to Aberrant) or make it available at character creation, you can remove the Acclimation prerequisite. If you want a "become human" option, you could remove the "to a minimum Magnitude of 1" stipulation and/or add a 6-, 8, and 10-dot tier that reduces Magnitude by 3, 4, or 5. As I said, that's going to blunt one of the intended themes of the game, but it's your table, and I've been in an Ascension game with the premise "you all work at a shopping mall" and several D&D games that ended up going to our own world, so I'm not going to judge.
                  Eric I luv ya man. That is exactly what I was looking for as written. Tytyty!

Comment

Originally posted by yrtalien View Post

Eric I luv ya man. That is exactly what I was looking for as written. Tytyty!
                    You are most welcome!

Comment

Working...
                    X