FetchQuest - Playing a Fetch in the Miasma of Pyros and Glamour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FetchQuest - Playing a Fetch in the Miasma of Pyros and Glamour

Wasn't sure which subforum to put this in, so, since it's crossover, I decided to put it here, instead.

So, I've always liked the idea of playing a fetch. There is a really interesting tragedy to them that contrasts in a lot of fun ways with the tragedy of the changelings they replace. And obviously, that's what makes them fun and compelling antagonists, but it's not hard to see how that could map to players in a motley, too.
    And then Seven Wonders was like, "but that contrast is even more interesting in a party of Created." And I was like, "Okay, yeah, I can see that. I like Promethean, I like fetches, I'm listening, let's see where this goes." And then it added, "Oh, also the fetches are going to be attempting the Pilgrimage, too." And I was like, "oh hell yes, I am down." There's so much potential in that idea for both games, it made me really excited to flip through the rest of the chapter.

And it turns out it was pretty great! There's a lovely blend of Changeling's defiant majesty and Promethean's hopeful melancholy in the chapter, and lots of fun new things for both. A little disappointing that there wasn't anything on the Colossus as an Extempore-Lineage, but Bestowments are pretty easy to make yourself. And then I got to the section on playing fetches, and there's basically nothing. Like, cool, Fetches can use Goblin Contracts and have special Goblin Debt rules. Not a very exciting way to address playability concerns, but they are cool powers fetches can buy themselves, which is something, I guess.

But the Pilgrimage? We are told that they are doing it, and nothing more. I imagine word count is likely to blame for this, but it is frustrating nonetheless. You could just use the Pilgrimage rules as-is, but if you do, you run into some weird mechanical problems, notably fetches lacking the Promethean traits necessary to find certain Refinement Conditions useful [assuming you let them spend Glamour instead of Pyros]. You could limit them to the universal milestones, but then they don't make Vitriol, and so can never complete Fermentatio.

And maybe that's the ultimate, unwritten tragedy of these fetches? Maybe they make this long journey, get their hopes up for a life that is truly theirs, only to find out that they can never have it on a technicality? You could tell a pretty powerful, melancholy story with that ending. But if that is the ending to your story, then what is the point in using a complex system like the Pilgrimage to track your progress toward an empty goal?

Respectfully, I also think that ending is lame and for babies. These echoes of people deserve a chance, however small, of actually becoming wholly themselves. So I wrote some rules for it, and had some fun blurring the lines a bit. I really played into the idea that these fetches are cuckoos and adopted children, that this is just another case of mistaken identity. But this time they can forge an identity of their own with it.
    Hopefully, you find something to like here, too. And if you like these rules enough to use them for your own game, whether or not it is set in the Miasma, I'd love to hear how it goes!

FetchQuest
    Playing a Fetch in the Miasma of Pyros and Glamour

Once set on the Path, fetches undergo the following changes, in addition to those described on pg 74 of Dark Eras 2:
    • They gain the Attuned to the Principle Echo, regardless of their Wyrd dots. Starting characters also gain 2 Goblin Contracts.
    • Their Needles often change, shifting to represent the person the fetch strives to become, rather than how they present themselves now. Their Threads usually stay the same, but count as a Torment trait as well as a Thread for all mechanical purposes.
    • Fetches on the Path may take the following Promethean Merits: Acid Stomach, Driven, Repute, Sleepless, Terrible Disfigurement, and Weatherproof.
    • Fetches on the Path replace their Integrity trait with a modified version of the Pilgrimage trait, which starts at three dots instead of one. This is regardless of the fetch’s prior Integrity dots.
    • They retain Wyrd, Echoes, and Glamour, and still increase Wyrd when their changeling does, with all the usual consequences.
    • Fetches on the Path do not gain Azoth, cannot gain or use Pyros, do not benefit from electroshock therapy, and do not suffer the bane of fire. A fetch cannot access the Azothic Memory without the use of an Athanor.
    • Fetches on the Path may adopt Refinements, gaining the Refinement’s Condition and Roles, but not its Transmutations. Whenever a Refinement Condition references Pyros, fetches spend or gain Glamour instead.
    • Fetches on the Path treat Argentum as a basic Refinement [and indeed, often begin their journey as Mystics], and likewise treat Plumbum as a Complex Refinement.
    • The Divine Fire’s mistaken claim to these fetches disrupts the fidelity of their Mask and causes them to inflict a lessened version of Disquiet. They do not suffer from Torment, nor do they fester Wastelands.
    • As fetches lack Azoth, they do not generate Vitriol for completing milestones. Instead, they generate Glamour, 1 point for minor milestones, 5 points for major milestones, and completely refilling their pool for superlative milestones [in addition to gaining a dot of Pilgrimage]. Fetches may spend regular experiences to increase Pilgrimage, and follow all the regular restrictions for when that is possible. They cannot normally benefit from Lacunae.
    • Fetches on the Path may use and benefit from Athanors, although they cannot normally extract Vitriol from a Vitriol Fount.

The Path: Pilgrimage

For a fetch following the Pilgrimage, her journey is much the same as a Created’s. However, she has already tasted a mortal life, and a shard of someone else’s soul threads through her mockery of a body. Even a young fetch has a greater understanding of what it means to be human than most Created, and that gives her a head start on her own Pilgrimage. But the life she tasted was stolen, and she was created to take it. Her fae nature is unpredictable, and so it is easier for her to stumble and fall behind her peers.

When creating a fetch character in the Miasma, define their Pilgrimage much as if they were Created. They must still complete a minimum of 8 Roles across 4 Refinements, at least 2 of which must be Basic and 2 of which must be Complex. However, fetches cannot generate Vitriol, and so complete the Fermentatio universal milestone a different way. They instead achieve this milestone when something comes of their unusual relationship to the Path itself, or when they meaningfully reflect on their experience caught between three worlds. One fetch might achieve Fermentatio when she rebounds, stepping forward after a setback caused by her fae nature. Another stews in his unstable emotion until he is able to transform it into action affirming the person he longs to be. A third fashions their own crucible of Glamour and grass, mimicking their Created companions.

As stated above, all fetches walking the Path start at Pilgrimage three instead of one. The scrap of soul a fetch inherits is responsible for this, but it comes with a cost. The alien drives her True Fae instilled in her resist her chance at Redemption, and she suffers a -1 penalty on all breaking point rolls that come from her connection to Arcadia and the Hedge. This includes any breaking points which involve elements of the mundane life she inherited, as it is the purest expression of her purpose ironside.

When making a fetch character in the Miasma, consider her relationship to her past life and the role she took, replacing a person stolen by the Gentry. Did she relish her role, finding peace in the life of the changeling before her? Or did she despise it, never knowing why until the moment she realized the truth? This creates an additional breaking point for the fetch, as if her stolen life was a Role. Additionally, all fetches on the Path suffer the following breaking points:
    • Reaping Glamour
    • Lingering in the Hedge for more than a single chapter

Imposter Syndrome: Fetch Disquiet

A fetch may have thought he was human, but he never was. This makes him better prepared for the myriad faces of humanity than any Promethean, and yet, through the Miasma, the Divine Fire touches him. And sometimes that fire slips its cage, marking the fetch as an imposter in the eyes of others. When this happens, the fetch is reminded that everything he has is stolen, and that he is less human than his Created companions think.

Once on the Path, fetches find their relationships straining under the pressure of the Miasma of Pyros and Glamour. The heat of stolen fire catalyzes with the magic of the Others, burning away the fetch’s facade of normalcy, literally and figuratively. This persistent unease is not the same as the Disquiet of Created, merely a shadow, another reminder that the fetch is nothing but an echo. It manifests as a -1 penalty on all Social Skill rolls the fetch makes involving a person susceptible to the effects of a Promethean’s Disquiet. The Divine Fire simply broadcasts the fetch’s wrongness to the world. However, this rarely progresses beyond uncomfortable silence and dismissed suspicion.

Sometimes, those doubts cannot be ignored. Sometimes, the Miasma doesn’t allow ignorance. The force of the Divine Fire burns through the Mask, for only a moment, and the fetch’s true nature is revealed. Whenever a fetch on the Path dramatically fails a Social Skill roll, spends Glamour, or steps backward, her player then rolls Wyrd. If she fails, then her Mask flickers, as a Promethean flaring Disfigurements, revealing her body of wood, stone, and shadow underneath. From this moment on, the fetch suffers the Notoriety Condition towards all witnesses susceptible to Disquiet.

ALTERED CONDITION
    • Masked [Aurum Refinement Condition]: The fetch may spend a point of Glamour to ignore his persistent Social penalty for the scene. Using this Condition doesn’t threaten a Mask flicker, but does not protect against later flickers in the scene.

NEW ECHOES
    • Attuned to the Principle [Automatic]: A fetch on the Path has been adopted by the Divine Fire, and her senses adjust accordingly. She sees Prometheans’ Disfigurements as other Created do, and she and other Created can clearly see her true form as if she were a Promethean. In addition, while she has no Azothic radiance of her own, she can perceive the radiance of others, and may take their measure. Finally, she may join a Branded Throng, counting as an Extempore for the purposes of Disquiet and Wasteland.
    • Black Harvest [Wyrd 1]: The fetch may harvest Vitriol, converting it into Glamour. Every Vitriol beat transubstantiates into 2 points of Glamour. This allows the fetch to make use of Vitriol Founts, and worse, derive benefit from the lacuna.
    • Faerie Furnace [Wyrd 2]: The fetch may craft a crucible, nest, or other vessel after completing three Roles in a Refinement, before meticulously inserting it into her body. After spending 10 points of a Glamour and an experience, the crucible ignites within her, becoming an echo of her achievement. As long as it remains within her, the fetch may use a single Alembic from each of the Refinement’s Transmutations, substituting Glamour for Pyros and her choice of Resolve, Composure, or Stamina for Azoth. If the furnace is ever destroyed she can replace it, paying the same costs as if she were making a new one. If it is only removed, she can reintegrate it with a point of Glamour and 10 minutes of work. A fetch can only have one Faerie Furnace per Refinement.

Consistently Inconsistent
    Website
    She/Her

Originally posted by SomethingFishy View Post
    Wasn't sure which subforum to put this in, so, since it's crossover, I decided to put it here, instead.

So, I've always liked the idea of playing a fetch. There is a really interesting tragedy to them that contrasts in a lot of fun ways with the tragedy of the changelings they replace. And obviously, that's what makes them fun and compelling antagonists, but it's not hard to see how that could map to players in a motley, too.
    And then Seven Wonders was like, "but that contrast is even more interesting in a party of Created." And I was like, "Okay, yeah, I can see that. I like Promethean, I like fetches, I'm listening, let's see where this goes." And then it added, "Oh, also the fetches are going to be attempting the Pilgrimage, too." And I was like, "oh hell yes, I am down." There's so much potential in that idea for both games, it made me really excited to flip through the rest of the chapter.

And it turns out it was pretty great! There's a lovely blend of Changeling's defiant majesty and Promethean's hopeful melancholy in the chapter, and lots of fun new things for both. A little disappointing that there wasn't anything on the Colossus as an Extempore-Lineage, but Bestowments are pretty easy to make yourself. And then I got to the section on playing fetches, and there's basically nothing. Like, cool, Fetches can use Goblin Contracts and have special Goblin Debt rules. Not a very exciting way to address playability concerns, but they are cool powers fetches can buy themselves, which is something, I guess.

But the Pilgrimage? We are told that they are doing it, and nothing more. I imagine word count is likely to blame for this, but it is frustrating nonetheless. You could just use the Pilgrimage rules as-is, but if you do, you run into some weird mechanical problems, notably fetches lacking the Promethean traits necessary to find certain Refinement Conditions useful [assuming you let them spend Glamour instead of Pyros]. You could limit them to the universal milestones, but then they don't make Vitriol, and so can never complete Fermentatio.

And maybe that's the ultimate, unwritten tragedy of these fetches? Maybe they make this long journey, get their hopes up for a life that is truly theirs, only to find out that they can never have it on a technicality? You could tell a pretty powerful, melancholy story with that ending. But if that is the ending to your story, then what is the point in using a complex system like the Pilgrimage to track your progress toward an empty goal?

Respectfully, I also think that ending is lame and for babies. These echoes of people deserve a chance, however small, of actually becoming wholly themselves. So I wrote some rules for it, and had some fun blurring the lines a bit. I really played into the idea that these fetches are cuckoos and adopted children, that this is just another case of mistaken identity. But this time they can forge an identity of their own with it.
    Hopefully, you find something to like here, too. And if you like these rules enough to use them for your own game, whether or not it is set in the Miasma, I'd love to hear how it goes!

FetchQuest

Once set on the Path, fetches undergo the following changes, in addition to those described on pg 74 of Dark Eras 2:
    • They gain the Attuned to the Principle Echo, regardless of their Wyrd dots. Starting characters also gain 2 Goblin Contracts.
    • Their Needles often change, shifting to represent the person the fetch strives to become, rather than how they present themselves now. Their Threads usually stay the same, but count as a Torment trait as well as a Thread for all mechanical purposes.
    • Fetches on the Path may take the following Promethean Merits: Acid Stomach, Driven, Repute, Sleepless, Terrible Disfigurement, and Weatherproof.
    • Fetches on the Path replace their Integrity trait with a modified version of the Pilgrimage trait, which starts at three dots instead of one. This is regardless of the fetch’s prior Integrity dots.
    • They retain Wyrd, Echoes, and Glamour, and still increase Wyrd when their changeling does, with all the usual consequences.
    • Fetches on the Path do not gain Azoth, cannot gain or use Pyros, do not benefit from electroshock therapy, and do not suffer the bane of fire. A fetch cannot access the Azothic Memory without the use of an Athanor.
    • Fetches on the Path may adopt Refinements, gaining the Refinement’s Condition and Roles, but not its Transmutations. Whenever a Refinement Condition references Pyros, fetches spend or gain Glamour instead.
    • Fetches on the Path treat Argentum as a basic Refinement [and indeed, often begin their journey as Mystics], and likewise treat Plumbum as a Complex Refinement.
    • The Divine Fire’s mistaken claim to these fetches disrupts the fidelity of their Mask and causes them to inflict a lessened version of Disquiet. They do not suffer from Torment, nor do they fester Wastelands.
    • As fetches lack Azoth, they do not generate Vitriol for completing milestones. Instead, they generate Glamour, 1 point for minor milestones, 5 points for major milestones, and completely refilling their pool for superlative milestones [in addition to gaining a dot of Pilgrimage]. Fetches may spend regular experiences to increase Pilgrimage, and follow all the regular restrictions for when that is possible. They cannot normally benefit from Lacunae.
    • Fetches on the Path may use and benefit from Athanors, although they cannot normally extract Vitriol from a Vitriol Fount.

For a fetch following the Pilgrimage, her journey is much the same as a Created’s. However, she has already tasted a mortal life, and a shard of someone else’s soul threads through her mockery of a body. Even a young fetch has a greater understanding of what it means to be human than most Created, and that gives her a head start on her own Pilgrimage. But the life she tasted was stolen, and she was created to take it. Her fae nature is unpredictable, and so it is easier for her to stumble and fall behind her peers.

When creating a fetch character in the Miasma, define their Pilgrimage much as if they were Created. They must still complete a minimum of 8 Roles across 4 Refinements, at least 2 of which must be Basic and 2 of which must be Complex. However, fetches cannot generate Vitriol, and so complete the Fermentatio universal milestone a different way. They instead achieve this milestone when something comes of their unusual relationship to the Path itself, or when they meaningfully reflect on their experience caught between three worlds. One fetch might achieve Fermentatio when she rebounds, stepping forward after a setback caused by her fae nature. Another stews in his unstable emotion until he is able to transform it into action affirming the person he longs to be. A third fashions their own crucible of Glamour and grass, mimicking their Created companions.

As stated above, all fetches walking the Path start at Pilgrimage three instead of one. The scrap of soul a fetch inherits is responsible for this, but it comes with a cost. The alien drives her True Fae instilled in her resist her chance at Redemption, and she suffers a -1 penalty on all breaking point rolls that come from her connection to Arcadia and the Hedge. This includes any breaking points which involve elements of the mundane life she inherited, as it is the purest expression of her purpose ironside.

When making a fetch character in the Miasma, consider her relationship to her past life and the role she took, replacing a person stolen by the Gentry. Did she relish her role, finding peace in the life of the changeling before her? Or did she despise it, never knowing why until the moment she realized the truth? This creates an additional breaking point for the fetch, as if her stolen life was a Role. Additionally, all fetches on the Path suffer the following breaking points:
    • Reaping Glamour

A fetch may have thought he was human, but he never was. This makes him better prepared for the myriad faces of humanity than any Promethean, and yet, through the Miasma, the Divine Fire touches him. And sometimes that fire slips its cage, marking the fetch as an imposter in the eyes of others. When this happens, the fetch is reminded that everything he has is stolen, and that he is less human than his Created companions think.

Once on the Path, fetches find their relationships straining under the pressure of the Miasma of Pyros and Glamour. The heat of stolen fire catalyzes with the magic of the Others, burning away the fetch’s facade of normalcy, literally and figuratively. This persistent unease is not the same as the Disquiet of Created, merely a shadow, another reminder that the fetch is nothing but an echo. It manifests as a -1 penalty on all Social Skill rolls the fetch makes involving a person susceptible to the effects of a Promethean’s Disquiet. The Divine Fire simply broadcasts the fetch’s wrongness to the world. However, this rarely progresses beyond uncomfortable silence and dismissed suspicion.

Sometimes, those doubts cannot be ignored. Sometimes, the Miasma doesn’t allow ignorance. The force of the Divine Fire burns through the Mask, for only a moment, and the fetch’s true nature is revealed. Whenever a fetch on the Path dramatically fails a Social Skill roll, spends Glamour, or steps backward, her player then rolls Wyrd. If she fails, then her Mask flickers, as a Promethean flaring Disfigurements, revealing her body of wood, stone, and shadow underneath. From this moment on, the fetch suffers the Notoriety Condition towards all witnesses susceptible to Disquiet.

ALTERED CONDITION
    • Masked [Aurum Refinement Condition]: The fetch may spend a point of Glamour to ignore his persistent Social penalty for the scene. Using this Condition doesn’t threaten a Mask flicker, but does not protect against later flickers in the scene.

NEW ECHOES
    • Attuned to the Principle [Automatic]: A fetch on the Path has been adopted by the Divine Fire, and her senses adjust accordingly. She sees Prometheans’ Disfigurements as other Created do, and she and other Created can clearly see her true form as if she were a Promethean. In addition, while she has no Azothic radiance of her own, she can perceive the radiance of others, and may take their measure. Finally, she may join a Branded Throng, counting as an Extempore for the purposes of Disquiet and Wasteland.
    • Black Harvest [Wyrd 1]: The fetch may harvest Vitriol, converting it into Glamour. Every Vitriol beat transubstantiates into 2 points of Glamour. This allows the fetch to make use of Vitriol Founts, and worse, derive benefit from the lacuna.
    • Faerie Furnace [Wyrd 2]: The fetch may craft a crucible, nest, or other vessel after completing three Roles in a Refinement, before meticulously inserting it into her body. After spending 10 points of a Glamour and an experience, the crucible ignites within her, becoming an echo of her achievement. As long as it remains within her, the fetch may use a single Alembic from each of the Refinement’s Transmutations, substituting Glamour for Pyros and her choice of Resolve, Composure, or Stamina for Azoth. If the furnace is ever destroyed she can replace it, paying the same costs as if she were making a new one. If it is only removed, she can reintegrate it with a point of Glamour and 10 minutes of work. A fetch can only have one Faerie Furnace per Refinement.
    Sorry for the necro but i only obtained dark eras 2 recently.
    I ll say i like it, i like it a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

Sorry for the necro but i only obtained dark eras 2 recently.
      I ll say i like it, i like it a lot!
      Is it really a necro if I posted it 4 days ago? : P
      It was a lot of fun thinking about how the mechanics would bend for the concept of a Fetch on the Pilgrimage, and I'm pretty satisfied with what I arrived at. So, I'm glad you like it!

Website
      She/Her

Comment

Is it really a necro if I posted it 4 days ago? : P
        It was a lot of fun thinking about how the mechanics would bend for the concept of a Fetch on the Pilgrimage, and I'm pretty satisfied with what I arrived at. So, I'm glad you like it!
        Ah ah, sorry i misreaded it as a post of 07 january

Comment

this was exactly what I needed

Comment

FetchQuest

• Reaping Glamour

ALTERED CONDITION
            NEW ECHOES
            This is a great idea!!! I love Seven Wonders.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
              this was exactly what I needed
              Wonderful! If you end up using these rules, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Website
              She/Her

Comment

I like this concept. Playing as Fetches trying to become truly Human while being hunted by pissed off Changelings and other threats is an interesting concept. Does the Fetch Disquiet kick in before or after they find out they're not completely Human?

Comment

Originally posted by Tainted man View Post
                  I like this concept. Playing as Fetches trying to become truly Human while being hunted by pissed off Changelings and other threats is an interesting concept. Does the Fetch Disquiet kick in before or after they find out they're not completely Human?
                  Glad you like it! Personally, I would run it so that the fetch Disquiet starts once the fetch starts the Pilgrimage. It is a consequence of the Divine Fire burning past the lies of Faerie, and so doesn't afflict the fetch until they have accepted its mandate to pursue their humanity. That way, a fetch who knows they are not completely human does not necessarily suffer under its effects; they have to want to be something more, first.

Website
                  She/Her

Comment

Working...
                  X